Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: "Ronnie Wood: Artist" book due out in 21 Aug 2017
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 14, 2017 18:30

Lien
Ronnie Wood is best known for being part of the Rolling Stones but before his career in music even began, he was at art school – which is being charted in a new book. The BBC’s arts editor Will Gompertz reports

From 02.20 Ronnie on BBC4 radio this morning

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Great!

Here's another link to Ronnie's interview: [www.bbc.com]

Date: November 23, 2017 15:48

Rolling Stone Ronnie Wood paints it black for new Sky Arts show

He will be showing off his sketches and paintings.

By Joe Nerssessian, Press Association
November 21 2017 7:12 PM

The Rolling Stones’ Ronnie Wood will swap his guitar for a paintbrush as he stars in a new Sky series focused on his art work.
Ronnie Wood: Artist In Residence will see the rock’n’roll star and prolific painter visit a number of the UK’s most celebrated cultural institutions, including the Royal Opera House and Sadler’s Wells.
Wood, who turned 70 this year, will use his sketches and paintings to offer insight into each location as well as meeting those who work behind the scenes.

Produced by Somethin’ Else for Sky Arts, the show was announced alongside a raft of other Sky commissions including a new drama focused on the power struggles of the international gangs running London.
A new entertainment game, Loot, will also be coming to screens. The show will see eight members of the public attempt to hunt some treasure and hide it for two weeks from specially trained detectives.

Sky Atlantic’s sun-soaked drama, Riviera, will return to screens while Sky Arts will air three new episodes of their Urban Myths series which tell fabled tales from the world of entertainment.
One will star Luke Treadaway as David Bowie and Jack Whitehall as Marc Bolan and tell the tale of how the young musicians first met as struggling teenage musicians and were asked to paint their manager’s office in lieu of them making him any money by selling records.

Another sees Noel Fielding’s portrayal of Alice Cooper attending a dinner party with Salvador Dali, while the third documents the story of how rap group Public Enemy were rescued by a man and his Ford Focus after being stranded without their tour bus in Broomhill, south-east London hours before a show.
Sky’s managing director of content Gary Davey said: “There’s never been a more competitive time to be in the content business and I’m incredibly excited by the scale, quality and authenticity of the UK TV industry right now.

“Next year will see over 50 Sky original productions on air and over 20 of these will be returners – a testament to the popularity of our shows – and it doesn’t stop there, with our increased investment, the focus for 2018 remains getting even better on screen.”

[www.independent.ie]

Date: November 29, 2017 18:08

"At the London launch of his signed limited edition book and print set, RONNIE WOOD: ARTIST, Ronnie discusses his 2005 painting 'Sad Guitar'."

[www.instagram.com]

Date: December 11, 2017 15:27

"Good signing day at Thames and Hudson for my book ‘Artist’"

[www.instagram.com]

Date: December 14, 2017 12:14

For Ronnie Wood, every picture tells a story
The Rolling Stones guitarist on his lifelong obsession

Anneka Rice

I am in Paris for the Rolling Stones’ No Filter concert, in Ronnie Wood’s dressing room minutes before he is due on stage. Walking through the door, I find myself in what looks like a giant crèche, and every size of child and grandchild bouncing around on a thick rug woven in the pattern of Ronnie’s ‘Wild Horses’ painting. Ronnie greets me like a long-lost friend with a massive hug, no sign of pre-concert agitation.

Apparently Mick is somewhere round the corner doing a strenuous workout. Keith may or may not be reaching down to touch his knee a couple of times as his warm-up, but here there is no sign of preparation. A setlist pinned to the wall gives me a tantalising preview of what is to come over the next few hours, each song hand-painted by Ronnie. He does this for all the tours. It’s quite a thrill to see ‘Brown Sugar’, ‘Satisfaction’, ‘Start Me Up’ and ‘Let’s Spend the Night Together’ in bright yellows and blues and greens. ‘Charlie wants to come and say hello,’ says Ronnie, as though about to introduce me to great-aunt Agatha at a christening.

Minutes before this, I’ve been in another area backstage holding Gracie, one of Ronnie’s and his wife Sally’s enchanting twins, talking to tour manager Joyce. She’s worked with the Stones for decades. She tells me I went to the same school as a great friend of hers. This is turning out to be very un-rock and roll, but I like it.

It’s very heart-warming. It feels like a bunch of old friends are meeting up for a reunion to play a bit of music together. Which is obviously what they are doing. Just factor in a zillion pounds worth of lights, dazzling effects and a massive adoring crowd, three quarters of a million strong so far on the tour. They’re all waiting on the other side. I like the side I seem to be on, but how did I get here?

Rewind a few months to when out of the blue an email pinged on to my art website. It was from Ronnie and Sally Wood (I had never met them). ‘We just wanted to let you know that we love your art. We’re in Barcelona at the moment where Ronnie is painting also. We’ve just watched a Francis Bacon documentary which featured Maggi Hambling and we really love her work too.’

I don’t know about you, but I don’t often get emails from a Rolling Stone. I wasn’t sure which bit of the email thrilled me most — Barcelona! Maggi Hambling! It made me realise that art has led me on the most ridiculously exciting adventures and this was to turn out to be another one. The reference to Maggi Hambling was relevant, as she was my last great adventure.

I had interviewed Maggi for a piece about her favourite possession, a painting by Arthur Lett-Haines, one of the tutors at Benton End, the East Anglian School of Painting and Drawing. After we’d finished she roared, still chain-smoking, to the film crew: ‘Now bugger off, all of you. I’ve got to get ready for my masterclass tomorrow.’

The crew sheepishly retreated but in a moment of madness I said to Maggi: ‘Can I come?’ Maggi stared at me fiercely (Maggi does excellent fierce) for what seemed like about four days before she wrote on a scrap of paper: ‘10 a.m., bring charcoal.’ That was it. I turned up the following day, met a roomful of strangers and have never left. It has been the most significant period of my adult life and I’ve gained a group of wonderful and nourishing friends.

After the Paris concert, I tentatively suggested to Ronnie that I make a radio documentary about his life and art, and he said: ‘Yes, how about next Friday?’ which is how I found myself standing outside the purple front door to his home. Before this I had spent a week reading his very funny and touching teenage diaries, How Can It Be, and pored over Ronnie Wood Artist, the exquisite book of his paintings, drawings and sculptures. I’ve pestered him for a playlist and it is a musical feast. I recommend you sit down for an evening in a darkened room with Slim Harpo, Muddy Waters and Howlin’ Wolf, Louis Armstrong and his Hot Five and Chuck Berry, Eddie Taylor, Freddie King and Jerry Lee Lewis, Big Bill Broonzy, Donny Hathaway and Duke Ellington.

Ronnie’s artistic life is largely brushed over. But he’s been painting longer than he’s been making music. He started as a ten-year-old, signwriting for a local company, and even regularly appearing on the BBC art show Sketch Club. ‘To have a painting appear on TV on a Friday evening after school on Sketch Club: “Ronnie Wood from Yiewsley in Middlesex”! There was a competition and I won a place to exhibit at St Albans at Adrian Hill’s gallery. It was a trek for my mum and myself to go there and see the paintings hanging.’

Music was exploding in London as he grew up in his council house in Yiewsley with his older brothers, both commercial artists, who were bringing home musicians with banjos, guitars, saxophones, trumpets, combs and paper, harmonicas and washboards. ‘My brothers always had a band. They used to have a collection of instruments in the back room of the house. It had a hatch where cups of tea and coffee could be passed through so as not to disturb the art-school crowd. I was little Ronnie getting in the way. That house partied so much, when we left it had a crack down the centre.’

His brothers hugely influenced his musical tastes. ‘“Smokestack Lightning” is the first Howlin’ Wolf record that my brother brought home. It was a pretty earth-shattering moment — it changed my life.’ The rest is musical history, but running alongside his career in the Birds, the Faces, the Rolling Stones, with all the gigging, touring, drinking and the rest, are hundreds and hundreds of drawings and paintings, including one of Howlin’ Wolf, who had such a profound influence on his life. His art influences can be traced back to school. ‘My art teacher was a big fan of Georges Braque. I got to know about cubism. Art was the loosest lesson.’

His art collection is laid out over several floors of his house, and there is a magnificent studio at the top with views over the tops of trees and the London skyline.

‘Both art and music hold their position in my life. They bounce off one another and make me the person I am,’ he says. In a cupboard are rows of oil paints, left over from when Damien Hirst came to his rescue after Ronnie had reached rock bottom in 2008. After a lengthy spell in rehab, Damien kitted out a studio for him, stacked full of canvases, paints, brushes, easels and paints: enough to furnish a whole art school. ‘He knew how hard it was to swallow the challenge of owning up and surrendering.’ One of the first paintings was an abstract called ‘I Feel Like Painting’.

I leave with the suggestion that Ronnie joins my mentor Maggi Hambling’s master-class. ‘Great, yes. Ask her!’ It would be the ultimate show-and-tell if I took Ronnie along to the art class. Maggi and Ronnie, what a combo. But why not? Let the art adventure continue.

Paint It Black with Ronnie Wood and Anneka Rice is on BBC Radio 2 on Wednesday 27 December at 5 p.m.

[www.spectator.co.uk]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 14, 2017 12:27

......nice to see reference to Maggi Hambling ...mmmm those manic strokes of hers ..

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-14 12:28 by Rockman.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 18, 2017 17:43

Give us some new solo music Ronnie.enough books n paintings..Time for some good Rock nRoll.
Jeroen

Date: July 22, 2018 02:26

I don't remember watching this one before. It was filmed at Ronnie's Q&A with Will Gompertz at the Royal Society of Arts in London, 13th November 2017.

Ronnie Wood's Sad Guitar

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 22, 2018 07:59

Cristiano Radtke
"At the London launch of his signed limited edition book and print set, RONNIE WOOD: ARTIST, Ronnie discusses his 2005 painting 'Sad Guitar'."

[www.instagram.com]

Hello my friend ya posted here but it’s all good I watched it/ missed it earlier too and say, by the way,
where’s this?!

Ronnie Wood: Artist in Residence plucks Ronnie from the rock environment of The Rolling Stones and transports him to the rarefied surroundings of the UK's most iconic cultural institutions, from the Royal Opera House to the Royal Albert Hall and from Shakespeare's Theatre to Sadler's Wells. He'll immerse himself in each institution - meeting the characters, observing the production, the preparations, the place and all the people involved. He'll sketch, paint and reveal through his art, and the experience he has in creating it, a unique insight into what makes each place so special.

Date: February 20, 2019 19:05

Cristiano Radtke
Cristiano Radtke
Ronnie Wood on Music and Art

According to this FB post (from June 16, 2015) the above video has some footage that was filmed for a documentary titled "Ronnie Wood: Hell of a Racket". Here's a teaser for this documentary:

Ronnie Wood: Hell of a Racket

"Thank you Toronto Shorts for including my Ronnie Wood film in your festival. Nice one!"

[www.instagram.com]

[www.torontoshorts.com]

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 21, 2019 05:18

Very special
Thank you
Hope there is more soon—-
Beautiful footage
[vimeo.com]

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1848
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home