Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Why Isn't Brian Jones on the Cover of Hot Rocks?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 26, 2017 00:39

As for the Rarities debacle of deleting Bill, they could have taken it a step further and rerecorded all of Bills bass parts with Darryl taking his place.
Sounds crazy, but for some odd reason that happened with Ozzy Osbourne and his first two solo albums.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 26, 2017 00:53

buttons67
If a band release a bunch of songs, and one or more of the original members isnt in the band anymore then these members should be included in the photo shoot if even one of the songs on the album was of their time.

Different case if the albums live.

In the case of ABKCO via London or Decca, there was no issue using Brian's likeness since he was under contract to all of the above when he passed away. In the Bill Wyman example of RARITIES, he never signed with Virgin so a separate arrangement would need to be made to use his likeness on an album cover. The Stones brought their Promotone copyrights with them to Virgin, but that's not the same as a former band member agreeing to allow his face to appear on new product. Do I think any of this was pettiness and a desire to present The Rolling Stones as four people with a bass player as a sideman? Sure. By the time they signed with Virgin, Mick no longer saw them as a band, but a brand. He and Keith were personalities with distinct identities, no longer Twins. Charlie and Ronnie were lesser personalities, but still part of the brand with a role to play. That's not a band as it once was. Likewise, the Universal agreement placed the role on catalog, archival releases, finishing up rarities, and (almost as an afterthought) new material. What they do on stage around the world for 25 years is more a celebration of the band they once were.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 26, 2017 18:18

Rocky Dijon
Why isn't Mick Taylor on the Cover of More Hot Rocks?

Eggzactly! People can come up w/ all the theories and how members were dissed, etc. , but it basically comes down to that.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 26, 2017 18:26

Rocky Dijon
Do I think any of this was pettiness and a desire to present The Rolling Stones as four people with a bass player as a sideman? Sure. By the time they signed with Virgin, Mick no longer saw them as a band, but a brand. He and Keith were personalities with distinct identities, no longer Twins. Charlie and Ronnie were lesser personalities, but still part of the brand with a role to play. That's not a band as it once was. Likewise, the Universal agreement placed the role on catalog, archival releases, finishing up rarities, and (almost as an afterthought) new material. What they do on stage around the world for 25 years is more a celebration of the band they once were.

I think that is it exactly. You always want to promote the band as it is right now and what works best for the marketing. Wyman wasn't part of the band at that time, and Jones while being part of the band wasn't part of the brand.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 26, 2017 21:40

LeonidP
Rocky Dijon

Eggzactly! People can come up w/ all the theories and how members were dissed, etc. , but it basically comes down to that.

To be fair, Mr. Taylor isn't on MORE HOT ROCKS at all. I was just having fun.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 27, 2017 18:20

Rocky Dijon
LeonidP
Rocky Dijon

Yes, I knew, nor should he be.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 27, 2017 18:56

Hairball
As for the Rarities debacle of deleting Bill, they could have taken it a step further and rerecorded all of Bills bass parts with Darryl taking his place.
Sounds crazy, but for some odd reason that happened with Ozzy Osbourne and his first two solo albums.

...and consequently let Ronnie rerecord the parts of MT as well...
In case No Security will get a rerelease ( which it won't get most likely ) the Memory Motel version with Dave Matthews should be dropped and replaced with a fine listenable one...

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: July 28, 2017 03:36

LeonidP
Rocky Dijon
LeonidP
Rocky Dijon

Yes, I knew, nor should he be.

Why not?

Taylor appears on Honky Tonk Women, Midnight Rambler, Brown Sugar and Wild Horses.

Sorry I was thinking of Hot Rocks instead of More Hot Rocks and I guess you can't delete posts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 03:48 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 28, 2017 06:55

Rocky Dijon
buttons67
If a band release a bunch of songs, and one or more of the original members isnt in the band anymore then these members should be included in the photo shoot if even one of the songs on the album was of their time.

Different case if the albums live.

In the case of ABKCO via London or Decca, there was no issue using Brian's likeness since he was under contract to all of the above when he passed away. In the Bill Wyman example of RARITIES, he never signed with Virgin so a separate arrangement would need to be made to use his likeness on an album cover. The Stones brought their Promotone copyrights with them to Virgin, but that's not the same as a former band member agreeing to allow his face to appear on new product. Do I think any of this was pettiness and a desire to present The Rolling Stones as four people with a bass player as a sideman? Sure. By the time they signed with Virgin, Mick no longer saw them as a band, but a brand. He and Keith were personalities with distinct identities, no longer Twins. Charlie and Ronnie were lesser personalities, but still part of the brand with a role to play. That's not a band as it once was. Likewise, the Universal agreement placed the role on catalog, archival releases, finishing up rarities, and (almost as an afterthought) new material. What they do on stage around the world for 25 years is more a celebration of the band they once were.

pretty much how i saw them at the time as well.

sort of wistfully; with appreciation always, I have the bEST stuff and it gets PLAYED hot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 06:57 by hopkins.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1910
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home