Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: What are you watching these days? (TV, filcks, online series, etc.)
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: July 14, 2017 10:47

hey,

What have you been watching this summer that's been worthwhile? Here's what's been up for me:

HBO - The Defiant Ones
A notable this week was the 4-part HBO documentary on Dr Dre and Jimmy Iovine, ]The Defiant Ones. It's incredibly well-made -- and features extensive and rare archival photos, video, documents, as well as tons of music--hip hop but across bands and artists, given Jimmy Iovine's work and the film's use of music as a means of providing visceral historical context. Great interviews -- well executed and edited.

In a radio interview, director Allen Hughes indicated that the film necessitated getting licensing for 3500+ clips -- which is astounding! I can't even imagine the budget. From my own work (Altamont), I know that licensing fees and all the work around obtaining licensing is beyond belief. I would love to know how many $millions were the production costs for The Defiant Ones, particularly licensing -- but also editing and post-production. The editing is so slick and gorgeous -- not to mention the b-roll, the transitions, the cinematography in general. It's an astonishing work. Very intelligent. Subtle and minimalistic when it needs to be bombastic and chaotic when that's the right way to go. I have rewound 4-5x to watch some of the transitions -- since the film is (not quite sure I understand why) a weaving of 2 biographies/documentaries of 2 people's separate and intersecting lives. Would it have been better to have made one Dr Dre docu and one Jimmy Iovine? It would have been difficult for the same director to have done so because there would potentially have been too much redundancy in terms of storytelling, interviews, licensing fees, clips, etc. It generally works--but the transitions from one trajectory (both of which are told chronologically) to the other would be critical in pulling it off, and so far it's been creatively almost seamlessly pulled off -- it doesn't feel like you're being jarred away from the first subject and shoved into the very different life of the other subject. Very cleverly and artfully done.

The first 2 parts were outstanding. The last 1/3 half of Part 3 seemed to start sagging a bit. Which I found interesting because often, in 90% of the zillions of documentaries I've watched and "studied," this seems often to be the case - but I thought that maybe they found a way around it by serializing it into 4 parts. What I mean is the documentary starts out gangbusters, compelling, engaging, wonderful rhythm and cadence, and then--usually around the 2/3 mark--it dips, in terms of energy, focus, and momentum. Often the narrative, direction, and any subtext becomes a little muddy or convoluted. Tonight I'll watch Part 4. We'll see what happens.

HBO - Silicon Valley
The 4th season of Silicon Valley wrapped up on a great note at the end of June. I kind of think the series should end, but looks like there's another coming in 2018. Not sure how this season could be topped. The first season didn't impress me because the characters are so not like actual Silicon Valley tech geeks. They are a cuddly doofus version of them (I lived among the actual tech brohs for years in San Francisco, and if they had been like this show's characters, San Francisco would not be the wreckage that it currently is, culturally). But once I "got" that they're more like 1990s tech boom guys (which makes sense since director Mike Judge is sort of rooted in that era) and not at all like their 2010s counterparts, it was easier to appreciate the marvelously written, hilarious script, and the acting from pretty much every participant in the show. And, as it turns out, there is a lot of contemporary tech world "realism" braided into the episodes---just not the main moptop lovably misfitty characters, who would never, ever, ever have a place at any 2010s tech industry table.

MOVIE IN THEATRE - Get Out
I won't say much about it, but saw Get Out it in May, it blew me the fock away, on myriad levels, and has stayed with me for months. Again, a superbly well-made, intelligent film.

MOVIE IN THEATRE - The Beguiled
Worth seeing. I watched the original The Beguiled, from 1971, with Clint Eastwood before checking out the 2017 version. Was fun to do it that way. Don't want to spoil anything, and will say more if others have seen it, but again it's not unworth seeing. An interesting retelling, with contemporary subtext.

TONIGHT ON SHOWTIME - Jimi: All by My Side
When it first came out in 2013 or '14 I believe Jimi: All by My Side may have gotten panned, but I decided to watch anyway, and immediately was drawn in. Here's what I enjoyed about it. The scope of this biopic (not documentary)--is just 1 year of Jimi Hendrix's life and skyward trajectory, from spring 1966 when Linda Keith came upon Jimi and turned on ALO onto him first, as well as others, and then finally Chas Chandler was blown away by him and saw Jimi's potential, through just before Monterey Pop. I deeply appreciate anyone taking a magnifying glass to the less obviously dramatic, "off screen" portions of history--the history before history. There is so much goodness and richness there that helps explain the fireworks that subsequently burst. I thought the casting was brilliant. I love Andre 3000 of Outkast anyway, and did not know how he'd do as Jimi, but I thought he channeled him well, and although I'm sure some would disagree (and there were a few significantly bum notes), the performance was a pleasant surprise. I'm not sure who the writer was, and how much he lifted from actual interviews or recordings of his speech, but most of the time what the character was saying felt consistent with what I know and have heard of Jimi Hendrix. There were a few current contemporary cultural and political themes that seemed a bit appliqued onto the side, or exaggerated or highlighted to appeal to a modern audience or to underscore a point (around race), but that's director's, writer's the producer's prerogative -- and a few things about Jimi's relationship with Kathy Etchingham seemed off and also delved too deeply into -- and of course Stones' history freaks would know that Linda Keith broke up with Keith Richards, and it wasn't portrayed that way, and that Keith's white Strat did not keep going back and forth between Jimi and Keith but the director chose to make that a tangible symbol of Linda Keith and Jimi's relationship--and that relationship, and Linda Keith as a character, was handled exceptionally well (aside from a few factual nitpicks about how KR characterized Hendrix to Linda Keith's father, which was far worse than shown in the film, and omitting that Linda Keith was chucked into a happy hospital when her father dragged her back to the UK, largely based on KR's whinging to Linda Keith's father about what a bad influence Jimi was on her). Anyway---I wouldn't run out and rent it, and if you're looking for lots of meaningful Stones' content it's just out of frame, but, to me, it was nicely done. Maybe 3.5 out of 5 stars.

PBS/BBC - Prime Suspect: Tennison
Adored the 6-part series, Prime Suspect 1973: Tennison, which is a prequel, set in 1973, to the BBC series series with Helen Mirren, Prime Suspect. I really looked forward to watching every Sunday it was on (90-minute episodes). Apparently it got mixes reviews, but for me it was a winner. The 1973 vibe was spot-on (and I can't stand anachronisms, etc - like, in the Hendrix film above, at one point a black power figure said to Hendrix said "You're hella good," but that term was not used--anywhere--until the late '80s Oakland), the soundtrack was marvelous, the woman who played the lead here is definitely a credible young Jane Tennison (the part played by Helen Mirren). Some people apparently found it boring, but I was mesmerized, and loved how the tracks were laid for this character to become the future Jane Tennison--how she started out, who her family was, how she "became" herself. I was really sorry when the series ended.

Those are some things I've been watching this summer -- what about you?

- swiss

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-14 11:00 by swiss.

Re: OT: What are you watching these days? (TV, filcks, online series, etc.)
Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: July 14, 2017 13:55

Nothing as interesting as those, I started 'Soundstage' but got bored once the hip hop started, enjoyed Bowie doco 'five years' initially, but realised it lacked depth , on reflection.

Date: July 14, 2017 14:51

I have "Defiant Ones" sort of earmarked. Also "Snowfall" because the topic looks interesting. (Re. I saw a fantastic film recently with B d Toro called "Sicario").
Also found myself watching 2 seasons of a show from 2003 that I never had heard of called "Carnivale", which is pretty farkin loco.

I really love it when I see a doc or a Classic Album segment from a band or album that I knew well, but it took the video to teach me more. There is a Classic Album on the Doors first album. It totally changed my outlook on that record, and thereby the Doors. My favorite part is Ray M. telling how he meets Jim on the beach, and asks him for a sample of his poetry. After the usual shyness he leans back and gives him a verse from "Moonlight Drive". I hear the words, and realize how powerful they are, that they stand on their own, and that of course Manzarek knew at that moment.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 14, 2017 15:57

TV:

Twin Peaks - season 1 (Amazon Prime)
House of Cards - season 5 (Netflix)
Game of Thrones - season 7 (HBO - starting Sunday)

Movies I've re-watched recently:

Blade Runner
Captain America: Civil War
2 Fast 2 Furious
Fate of the Furious
Life
Alien: Covenant
Beetlejuice

Seeing Spider-Man Homecoming tomorrow.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 14, 2017 16:41

"The Great British Baking Show" as it's called here on PBS here in the U-S-of A. Otherwise, whatever catches my eye on Turner Classic Movies. I have no idea what's on commercial television and cable these days.

Date: July 14, 2017 16:44

dmay
"The Great British Baking Show" as it's called here on PBS here in the U-S-of A. Otherwise, whatever catches my eye on Turner Classic Movies. I have no idea what's on commercial television and cable these days.
I've heard it's a fantastically entertaining show...seems it's really the rage lately.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: July 14, 2017 17:15

Finally started watching Game of Thrones (late to the 'Game' I know). Just finished Season 3 - binging as fast as I can - hoping to catch up w. Season 7 perhaps in August. It's fantastic!

Date: July 14, 2017 17:23

DEmerson
Finally started watching Game of Thrones (late to the 'Game' I know). Just finished Season 3 - binging as fast as I can - hoping to catch up w. Season 7 perhaps in August. It's fantastic!
It is indeed. It lives up to the hype.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 14, 2017 18:04

Films I've watched recently:

Calvary
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Sicario
The Revenant

Want to watch:

Hell or High Water

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: July 14, 2017 18:35

Mostly the tennis at Wimbledon this week and last. Huge tennis fan and spend far too much time in front of the TV as a consequence. I'm lucky I work from home so have the opportunity to arrange work schedules around it.

Date: July 14, 2017 18:43

Olly
Hell or High Water
GREAT movie. Highly recommended.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: July 14, 2017 20:05

Mayweather McGregor press tour

more fun than a barrel of monkeys

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: July 14, 2017 20:15

I watched The Wire start to finish recently. I know its an old series (2004- 2008) but I really enjoyed it. I don't watch much tv in the summer other than sports.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 14, 2017 20:32

Twin Peaks and American Epic.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 15, 2017 03:39

G.O.T - Season starts in 2 days!!!smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 15, 2017 05:03

Gonna go see Baby Driver ... Lurv that red satin jacket Mr Fox wears in it ..... Red Baby red ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 15, 2017 06:19

Rockman
Gonna go see Baby Driver ... Lurv that red satin jacket Mr Fox wears in it ..... Red Baby red ....

Great movie!!! I highly recommend it!smileys with beer

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 15, 2017 06:33

HELL ON WHEELS. It's kind of a DEADWOOD on the move.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: July 15, 2017 10:28

swiss

HBO - The Defiant Ones
Tonight I'll watch Part 4. We'll see what happens.

- swiss

How was it? Great analysis, and definite recommend this documentary for anyone with any interest in the music business. The editing was smartly done, and the vintage clips were astounding. I'm sure Bruce fans wet themselves. The contemporary interviews were priceless, usually quite funny and sometimes poignant. It's interesting how Jimmy and Tom Petty were best buds until Stevie Nicks came along - and almost 40 years later there's still some unspoken tension between the two of them. Dr. Dre playing the piano - I really underestimated that dude. Hot wife, nice mother, too. One of his old pals in the first episode - Lonzo (?) reminds me of Leon from Curb Your Enthusiasm: hilariously foul-mouthed. I thought the final episode dragged a bit, mainly because of its inevitable focus on those gauche Beats headphones.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 15, 2017 15:09

Preacher
Game of Thrones continues this Sunday!

Date: July 16, 2017 05:02

DeanGoodman
swiss

HBO - The Defiant Ones
Tonight I'll watch Part 4. We'll see what happens.

- swiss

How was it? Great analysis, and definite recommend this documentary for anyone with any interest in the music business. The editing was smartly done, and the vintage clips were astounding. I'm sure Bruce fans wet themselves. The contemporary interviews were priceless, usually quite funny and sometimes poignant. It's interesting how Jimmy and Tom Petty were best buds until Stevie Nicks came along - and almost 40 years later there's still some unspoken tension between the two of them. Dr. Dre playing the piano - I really underestimated that dude. Hot wife, nice mother, too. One of his old pals in the first episode - Lonzo (?) reminds me of Leon from Curb Your Enthusiasm: hilariously foul-mouthed. I thought the final episode dragged a bit, mainly because of its inevitable focus on those gauche Beats headphones.

Yeah, but the 1st episode also had one of the funniest quotes by Alonzo; talking about Dre's first night DJ-ing, he says "People were still groovin', but they was groovin confused, you know"

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 17, 2017 02:11

I watched HBO The Defiant Ones
Part 1 last night,
LOVED IT.
Back in the book reading, no internet days,
Jimmy Iovines first long standing wife (4 children J.D. educated, etc.)
was the original hot baby mama, but a real 'girlfriend'
I devoured and LOL her bestselling books 20 years ago/ preggo my first kid.

WTF does that have to do w/ N.W.A. /Dr. Dre, or the show, well, I'd heard of Jimmy 20 years ago (LOL) but not a professional detailed, rarely communicated manner- fascinating.

Will do parts 2,3,4 tonight.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: July 17, 2017 03:47

Twin Peaks - Season 3

Love the Lynch weird. Blends all of his styles into a brew of amusing zen moments and nightmarish imagery,

American Gods - Season 1

Don't even know where to begin on this one...it's graphic, psychedelic, non-linear, amusing and entrancing. A wild modern spin on mythology.

Legion - Season 1

Another trippy headfest with interesting characters and a peculiar story line involving telekinesis and the literal demons that come with it.

Date: July 17, 2017 04:41

I've been binge-watching the U.S. version of the Office during the past few weeks.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 19, 2017 13:39

I find the US version of The Office painfully unfunny. Have you seen the original?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1612
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home