Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: Who writes the music?
Date: July 19, 2017 20:05

TheflyingDutchman
Rocky Dijon
Hmmm. How does Ronnie then rate songwriting credit on "Everything is Turning to Gold," "Dance," "If I Was a Dancer," "Black Limousine," "No Use in Crying," "Pretty Beat Up," "One Hit to the Body," "Fight," "Dirty Work," "Had It With You," and "When You're Gone" if his agreement forgoes credit? I can understand that explanation for his inspirational credit on "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll" and "Hey, Negrita" or Mick's inspirational credit on Ronnie's "I Can Feel the Fire" and "Red Eyes." Maybe that is the key since "Red Eyes" is a Ronnie Wood composition with inspiration by Jagger and the same tune became "When You're Gone" which is a Jagger/Richards/Wood composition. Another question is how Nanker/Phelge tunes became Jagger/Richards tunes in later years. Were the other participants or their Estates bought out?

You can always ask the Lawyer. winking smiley

Ronnie hired himself, it seems.. smoking smiley

Date: July 19, 2017 20:07

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
Rocky Dijon
Hmmm. How does Ronnie then rate songwriting credit on "Everything is Turning to Gold," "Dance," "If I Was a Dancer," "Black Limousine," "No Use in Crying," "Pretty Beat Up," "One Hit to the Body," "Fight," "Dirty Work," "Had It With You," and "When You're Gone" if his agreement forgoes credit? I can understand that explanation for his inspirational credit on "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll" and "Hey, Negrita" or Mick's inspirational credit on Ronnie's "I Can Feel the Fire" and "Red Eyes." Maybe that is the key since "Red Eyes" is a Ronnie Wood composition with inspiration by Jagger and the same tune became "When You're Gone" which is a Jagger/Richards/Wood composition. Another question is how Nanker/Phelge tunes became Jagger/Richards tunes in later years. Were the other participants or their Estates bought out?

You can always ask the Lawyer. winking smiley

Ronnie hired himself, it seems.. smoking smiley

He's not the only one, with mixed emotions. grinning smiley

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 19, 2017 21:47

Nah, I've been told more than once to mind my own business when I have questions like that. I limit myself to message boards where the worst that happens is I have an occasional temper tantrum and take my toys inside.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 19, 2017 22:58

Rocky Dijon

I wouldn't take that "lawyerly" advice all that literally.

After all, how long has it been since this was true:

With the Stones, it’s more Keith and Mick hanging out writing the songs, and bringing the mostly-complete works to the band.

I am intrigued by this "fee" that is paid to Charlie and Ron, though. Is that really a thing?

And have all the Nanker/Phelge songs become Jagger/Richards tunes?

Date: July 19, 2017 23:31

LongBeachArena72
Rocky Dijon

I wouldn't take that "lawyerly" advice all that literally.

After all, how long has it been since this was true:

With the Stones, it’s more Keith and Mick hanging out writing the songs, and bringing the mostly-complete works to the band.

I am intrigued by this "fee" that is paid to Charlie and Ron, though. Is that really a thing?

And have all the Nanker/Phelge songs become Jagger/Richards tunes?

By posting that link I'm only trying to emphasise that all the band members had their role in creating songs. I cannot imagine that Richards or Jagger always came up with an entire score as they cannot write or read a note as big as a cow. They provided the lyrics or some chord progression, but unlike Bob Dylan's solo recordings, all the Stones members (Watts, Wyman Taylor Wood) added their signature sound and thus together created the song.. You cannot take that away from them unless you're calld Mick Jagger or Keith Richards i.e. being an über Keith or Mick fan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-19 23:35 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: July 19, 2017 23:34

TheflyingDutchman
they cannot write or read a note as big as a cow

This is now my favorite thing ever on iorr.

Date: July 19, 2017 23:51

LongBeachArena72
TheflyingDutchman
they cannot write or read a note as big as a cow

This is now my favorite thing ever on iorr.

Lol

Date: July 20, 2017 00:08

Rocky Dijon

I have a feeling that in this particular case it came down to the specific individuals, and probably the era in took place in. Ronnie is held high in regard by both Mick and Keith. They decided to throw him a bone. I bet, had it been Taylor e.g. he would not have gotten a credit. Also - had J/R been in a rotten mood that day, I bet we could have just as well got "Everything Turning to Gold" with a straight J/R credit.
The post by Flying Dutchman above says much what I said: there is no right way. Certain patterns have emerged. The REM/Peppers/U2 way is probably a very fair way to do this.especially in these bands - they are all 4 piece bands with a lead singer. So chances are there is much jamming, and writing together. It is a certain art to get a 3 piece to sound big and right and complete.
I do like this one little point made in FDutchman's post: that the Stones/Neil Young method is all fine and dandy - just pray that those songwriting juices don't dry up.
Otherwise - "In Another Land Suite Pts 1-5" anyone?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 20, 2017 00:21

As far as Nanker Phelge credits go, I think it is "Play with Fire" and "The Spider and the Fly" on FLASHPOINT and STRIPPED, respectively (or related CD singles) and separately, it was credited on reissues of "I'm All Right" and "Off the Hook."

Date: July 20, 2017 00:54

"Don't you ever call me my drummer again, you're my @#$%& singer"

Charlie Watts. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 20, 2017 03:37

LongBeachArena72
Some examples:

1) Summer, 1977. Hansa by the Wall, Berlin. David Bowie walks in with most of "Joe the Lion." What he doesn't have is the bridge that begins at 1:20. I give him that bridge. Have I helped write a song?

Yes.

Date: July 20, 2017 06:19

GasLightStreet
LongBeachArena72
Some examples:

1) Summer, 1977. Hansa by the Wall, Berlin. David Bowie walks in with most of "Joe the Lion." What he doesn't have is the bridge that begins at 1:20. I give him that bridge. Have I helped write a song?

Yes.

Sweet. I'll apply to the Bowie estate for my long-overdue credit. Like that dude from Procul Harum, though, I'm sure I'll get stiffed.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 20, 2017 06:47

You've read about Keith or Mick saying
K - What you got?
M - I've got this verse and a chorus but...
K - Ahhhh, a bridge. I just happen to have one.

BOOM. Songwriting.

Date: July 20, 2017 07:03

GasLightStreet
You've read about Keith or Mick saying
K - What you got?
M - I've got this verse and a chorus but...
K - Ahhhh, a bridge. I just happen to have one.

BOOM. Songwriting.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2097
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home