Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Jerry Lee Lewis Boxset
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: July 12, 2017 15:54

After reading the biography by Rick Bragg called "His Own Story", I felt inspired to buy some more Jerry Lee Lewis music, and found this great deal, thought I'd pass it along if anyone's interested:

[www.bestbuy.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-12 16:17 by kovach.

Re: OT - Jerry Lee Lewis Boxset
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 12, 2017 22:46

Got it, though I'm a huge fan of The Killer, and would recommend you get some BGO twofers of his Mercury stuff, the Bear Family set of Southern Roots, the Church Live Recordings, and, if still available, the Rockin' My Life Away warners anthology.

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: July 13, 2017 00:33

His most recent album "Rock And Roll Time" from 2014 is one of the Killer's very best albums. Much, much better than the "duets" albums he made before it ("Last Man Standing" and "Mean Old Man"). "Rock And Roll Time" has a fantastic, basic Rock & Roll sound, produced by Jim Keltner. The Killer even plays great, bluesy guitar on a couple of tracks. One of my all-time favorite Jerry Lee Lewis albums.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 13, 2017 00:50

Don't be a girl go for the ..... Full Killer SUN box-set on bear-family.....

[www.bear-family.com]

ROCKMAN

Date: July 13, 2017 01:12

tomcasagranda
Got it, though I'm a huge fan of The Killer, and would recommend you get some BGO twofers of his Mercury stuff, the Bear Family set of Southern Roots, the Church Live Recordings, and, if still available, the Rockin' My Life Away warners anthology.

Wow, if you have all that, was there really something on "Whole Lotta Jerry Lee" you didn't have??

Date: July 13, 2017 01:13

MrEcho
His most recent album "Rock And Roll Time" from 2014 is one of the Killer's very best albums. Much, much better than the "duets" albums he made before it ("Last Man Standing" and "Mean Old Man"). "Rock And Roll Time" has a fantastic, basic Rock & Roll sound, produced by Jim Keltner. The Killer even plays great, bluesy guitar on a couple of tracks. One of my all-time favorite Jerry Lee Lewis albums.

I was going to let these gel a bit when I get them but was thinking ahead...so of the 3 the last is the best as far as good old rock and roll goes??

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 13, 2017 15:48

kovach
MrEcho

I was going to let these gel a bit when I get them but was thinking ahead...so of the 3 the last is the best as far as good old rock and roll goes??

At Jerry Lee's YouTube Page he has play lists for all three of those albums and, at least based on the number of tracks, it seems that they're complete. I'm not familiar enough with the three albums to offer an opinion as to which is the best based on your criteria (I'd lean towards "Rock and Roll Time) but, if you listen to the tracks on YouTube, you can probably get a sense as to what you like best prior to purchasing the album.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Edit: Poked around the "albums" section of the link I posted above and it seems that there are DOZZENS of Jerry Lee albums you can listen to in their entirety.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-13 15:52 by mr_dja.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 13, 2017 21:44

Rockman
Don't be a girl go for the ..... Full Killer SUN box-set on bear-family.....

[www.bear-family.com]

$356?!?!?!

THIS girl is on a budget, scrimping for tickets. Maybe the Jerry Lewis boxset is cheaper?

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: July 14, 2017 00:27

kovach
MrEcho

Yes, very much so. "Rock & Roll Time" is not only the best of the three most recent studio albums by the Killer, in my opinion it's one of his best (non-compilation) albums ever.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 14, 2017 04:50

Haven't even heard Rock n roll time. I might get it now since the killer was the main reason I started listening to rock. The very first album I ever bought was young blood from 1995

JumpingKentFlash

Date: July 14, 2017 05:28

MrEcho
kovach
MrEcho

Yes, very much so. "Rock & Roll Time" is not only the best of the three most recent studio albums by the Killer, in my opinion it's one of his best (non-compilation) albums ever.

Thanks...guess I'll be picking that one up soon too!

Date: July 14, 2017 06:24

need to check out rock n roll time

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 15, 2017 05:13

I'll give ya a good Jerry Lee story when I come back ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: July 15, 2017 14:55

I have a killer ( excuse the pun ) Jerry Lee box set called "A Half Centery of Hits" -- has everything you'll ever need-- terrific stuff !

Date: July 15, 2017 17:28

kovach
tomcasagranda

Wow, if you have all that, was there really something on "Whole Lotta Jerry Lee" you didn't have??

Yes: 16 Candles.

I'm not that much into the Killer's Sun material, though, as the country stuff on Mercury highlights a more emotional, remorseful artist. I do love Southern Roots though, but abhor Huey P Meaux as a person. Southern Roots was a fantastic album, and an utter curveball from The Killer.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 15, 2017 17:54

tomcasagranda

All killer, no filler.

Date: July 15, 2017 20:33

Cristiano Radtke
tomcasagranda

All killer, no filler.

Hmm ! Bit so-so; some of it is inspired, i.e Drinkin' Wine, Music to The Man, Sixty Minute Man, but some of it also tired, i.e yet another Whole Lotta Shakin', a poor Early Mornin' Rain.

The jam on the outtake of Be Bop A Lu La is pretty tasty, but that was only issued 15 years nearly after the album.

1973 was a bit of a busy year for the Killer: his first Opry appearance, the London Sessions, Sometimes A Memory Just Ain't Enough sessions, I-40 Country sessions, and the Southern Roots sessions. Also, not forgetting a hidden gem with the flop single, Jack Daniels Old Number 7, which was a great country track.

However, I can only reiterate: get the Bear Family Southern Roots sessions. It has the original album, some amazing outtakes, and some hilarious dialogue between Jerry Lee, Huey Meaux, and Tony Joe White in some instances.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 15, 2017 22:52

With Nicky Hopkins, 1963.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-15 22:58 by Deltics.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 16, 2017 00:27

tomcasagranda
Cristiano Radtke
tomcasagranda

All killer, no filler.

Hmm ! Bit so-so; some of it is inspired, i.e Drinkin' Wine, Music to The Man, Sixty Minute Man, but some of it also tired, i.e yet another Whole Lotta Shakin', a poor Early Mornin' Rain.

The jam on the outtake of Be Bop A Lu La is pretty tasty, but that was only issued 15 years nearly after the album.

1973 was a bit of a busy year for the Killer: his first Opry appearance, the London Sessions, Sometimes A Memory Just Ain't Enough sessions, I-40 Country sessions, and the Southern Roots sessions. Also, not forgetting a hidden gem with the flop single, Jack Daniels Old Number 7, which was a great country track.

However, I can only reiterate: get the Bear Family Southern Roots sessions. It has the original album, some amazing outtakes, and some hilarious dialogue between Jerry Lee, Huey Meaux, and Tony Joe White in some instances.

Maybe I have some sentimental feelings about this record, which was the soundtrack to a lot of meetings with my friends. The Southern Roots Sessions is amazing indeed, I remember when it came out and when I first listened to it. thumbs up

Date: July 16, 2017 06:21

bob r
I have a killer ( excuse the pun ) Jerry Lee box set called "A Half Centery of Hits" -- has everything you'll ever need-- terrific stuff !

I have that as well. great stuff and some rare stuff on there

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: July 16, 2017 11:11

it depends how deep you will dig. i don´t recommend the newest bear box, with all the sun stuff, there are compilations out there wich would fit better because the bear box is way too much. i recommend the smash box, especially on vinyl, it´s his best stuff, very versatile in style, from rock´n´roll to country through soul, beat etc... dig out his elektra albums, or the caribou sessions, his last great work. the duets albums, well, a matter of taste. if you want a retrospective then the 3cd boxes mentioned above are quite good stuff. but if you start, you´ll have a lot of work over the next years smiling smiley

Date: July 17, 2017 16:50

tomcasagranda

Man, I went into the Best Buy site to track my order, since Saturday it has changed to something called "Zang Tuum Tumb: The Art of the 12", Volume 2: a Promotion of a Way of Life [CD]".

Now I'm wondering what I'm really getting!

You might want to check yours.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 17, 2017 20:15

Whenever Jerry Lee Lewis records are being
discussed, I can't help but to think of his live show at the Star Club in Hamburg. That is one amazing performance.
It's not quite music per se, and it's not quite a full-on Riot but somewhere in between. Passion, courageand intention.
He's just a bullet in a rock and roll gun here.
I think most every retrospective of Jerry Lee Lewis releses should reference this show.
Something about that show, with that hot band struggling to keep up w great heart anbd understanding....
,...in that club at that particular time.
He's got something to prove. To himself to God and to every rock and roller in the world. The press had pilloried him. Many fans had turned away.
The new young kids with the hair had taken over. He had been a King...

He proves it here. History. Not a doubt. This is rock and roll. The Star Club of Beatle fame . The world had changed.
He had been publicly shamed and left behind in the music world he had brilliantly triumphed in...and in many ways helped to actually create.
The band is HOT.. Intense and glorious. He drives it all the way home, chases it up a tree, shoots it, burns down the tree, eats the rest of the forest;
Tyrannorsorus Rex. Rose from the Atlantic Ocean and ate the city. Not a doubt about it if you give it a listen...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-17 23:37 by hopkins.

Date: July 17, 2017 20:16

kovach
tomcasagranda

Man, I went into the Best Buy site to track my order, since Saturday it has changed to something called "Zang Tuum Tumb: The Art of the 12", Volume 2: a Promotion of a Way of Life [CD]".

Now I'm wondering what I'm really getting!

You might want to check yours.

Sure enough they sent the wrong thing. angry smiley

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 17, 2017 20:25

Oops ... Ordered this by mistake:

Date: July 17, 2017 22:53

schillid
Oops ... Ordered this by mistake:

That would be more entertaining than what they sent! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 17, 2017 23:40

JERRY LEWIS rock'n'roll
[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1788
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home