Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rolling Stones musical in the works?
Posted by: micawber ()
Date: July 12, 2017 14:47

Oh my godthumbs down
Las Vegas Aera - The End

Don't want bullsh*t like that - hate it.

eye popping smiley

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 12, 2017 23:02

Because his name is so similar to Stones horn player Time Ries...
If Tim Rice were involved, it might cause some serious confusion.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 13, 2017 01:15

Oh my God,oh my Buddha.

makes me wanna puke.
Jeroen

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: July 13, 2017 02:22

Dear God, no, please! Is Elton John writing the music? Will it become Stones de Soleil??

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 13, 2017 13:50

Can't say I'm surprised at this news, it (or something like it) was kind of inevitable, at least to my way of thinking. Can't really work up much enthusiasm for it, but I wont be in the least bit surprised if it ultimately happens !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 14, 2017 09:10

jlowe
Can't see it happening.
The article seems to overlook the fact that its ABKCO who own the rights to The Stones'golden nuggets', ie the ones the Producers would want to use.

becuz abkco wouldn't want to 'sell out' the stones? yeah, that could never happen just for money.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 14, 2017 09:14

LongBeachArena72
It does raise the question: once the band members are retired and then once they are pushin' up daisies ... how does the music live on?

A thousand years of classical music has shown us that at least for some music performers aren't important ... what's written down in the score is what either lasts or doesn't.

Jazz began to change this paradigm with its reliance on improvisation; you could play notes like Coltrane or Miles ... but could you really recreate their music?

While most pop music is performer-driven, the cover band construct would seem to suggest it's possible for songs to live on whether they are played by the original artists or not. But there's a limit to that: "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" can raise the roof almost anywhere ... but do you want to hear a cover band play "A Day in the Life"?

There are always the recordings themselves, of course, in terms of how the music will live on ... but for the purposes of this thread, it's maybe more interesting to consider how or whether "Sympathy for the Devil" lives on in a live setting, as a song that can be passed down and reinterpreted through the ages.

The Grateful Dead's morphing into Dead & Co offers another possibility, beyond the idea of a musical play. Bob Weir has said that he can envision Dead & Co playing that music long after he, Billy, and Micky are gone, and can also imagine John Mayer, Otell Burbridge, and Jeff Chimenti growing old with those songs and then passing them along to yet another generation. That's kind of a cool idea, although it would seem to have little if any relevance to a band like The Stones.

I think the thing that changed was actual recordings...if the classical composers work had been recorded, things may have been different. we rely on the written score because that's all there was.

Posted by: syndy ()
Date: July 14, 2017 12:49

I hate musicals. The only Rock Band with a good musical are The Who!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-14 12:49 by syndy.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 14, 2017 13:31

..... Cant go ... somebody made me break a leg ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: July 14, 2017 14:04

Please...NO!!!

I hate musicals

Date: July 14, 2017 14:25

I just can't think of anything worse.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: July 14, 2017 14:47

"Supossed Stone" the new musical show with music ftom their satanic majesties the RS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 14, 2017 17:11

I hope NOT.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 15, 2017 08:42

treaclefingers
LongBeachArena72
It does raise the question: once the band members are retired and then once they are pushin' up daisies ... how does the music live on?

A thousand years of classical music has shown us that at least for some music performers aren't important ... what's written down in the score is what either lasts or doesn't.

Jazz began to change this paradigm with its reliance on improvisation; you could play notes like Coltrane or Miles ... but could you really recreate their music?

While most pop music is performer-driven, the cover band construct would seem to suggest it's possible for songs to live on whether they are played by the original artists or not. But there's a limit to that: "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" can raise the roof almost anywhere ... but do you want to hear a cover band play "A Day in the Life"?

There are always the recordings themselves, of course, in terms of how the music will live on ... but for the purposes of this thread, it's maybe more interesting to consider how or whether "Sympathy for the Devil" lives on in a live setting, as a song that can be passed down and reinterpreted through the ages.

The Grateful Dead's morphing into Dead & Co offers another possibility, beyond the idea of a musical play. Bob Weir has said that he can envision Dead & Co playing that music long after he, Billy, and Micky are gone, and can also imagine John Mayer, Otell Burbridge, and Jeff Chimenti growing old with those songs and then passing them along to yet another generation. That's kind of a cool idea, although it would seem to have little if any relevance to a band like The Stones.

I think the thing that changed was actual recordings...if the classical composers work had been recorded, things may have been different. we rely on the written score because that's all there was.

Maybe. But who will listen to recordings of today's popular music in 100 years? There are no popular songs from 1917 that people listen to today, even though songs from that year have been recorded and could be 'consumed.' As anemic as 'classic rock' numbers are on Spotify right now, what do you think they will be in another 30, 30, 40, 50 years? Will anyone then even listen to The Beatles, let alone The Rolling Stones? I have no idea but have my doubts. I think what keeps music alive is being performed live in front of live audiences. That's how it gets passed down in a way that 'sticks.' Maybe the 'classical' music concerts of 2100 could feature a suite of Lennon/McCartney songs after intermission and before the Stravinsky Firebird?

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 19, 2017 23:07

I can't help – but this it what comes to my mind:
[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1699
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home