Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Beach Boys 1967 Sunshine Tomorrow
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 9, 2017 22:39

I know there are a few BB fans around here, so I wanted to ask who's been enjoying the new 1967 release?

The stereo Wild Honey sounds so expansive and rich, and I've always been a sucker for studio session bits, different musical configurations, backing tracks.

I don't care for the live cuts too much (yet) but all in all it's a wonderful compilation.

I wish the Stones would bust out some nerdy sessions discs. 10 hours of the Tumblin' Dice riff, repeating and revolving? Yes please!

Re: OT: Beach Boys 1967 Sunshine Tomorrow
Posted by: Ross ()
Date: July 10, 2017 05:26

I am one of those BB fans and I'm delighted by this release. So much of their post-Smile-debacle output seems to get lost in the shuffle, but albums like Wild Honey, Sunflower, and Surfs Up are brilliant! Who knows what would have happened to the rock n roll landscape if Smile had been completed and pre-dated Sgt. Pepper. God bless Brian Wilson!

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 10, 2017 05:44

I definitely am excited to hear the Sunflower set in 2020!

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 10, 2017 05:52

Ross
I am one of those BB fans and I'm delighted by this release. So much of their post-Smile-debacle output seems to get lost in the shuffle, but albums like Wild Honey, Sunflower, and Surfs Up are brilliant! Who knows what would have happened to the rock n roll landscape if Smile had been completed and pre-dated Sgt. Pepper. God bless Brian Wilson!

Agree about Surf's Up, and also love Holland, but could never warm up to Wild Honey or Sunflower.

Must give them another listen or two.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: July 10, 2017 05:56

Do give Sunflower another listen or two. It's up there with their best, IMO.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 10, 2017 06:47

Shouldn't they delay 20/20 until 2020?

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: July 10, 2017 09:19

I have lost my taste for the Beach Boys for the most part, but out of curiousity I did listen to their version of Wayne Fontana's "Game of Love" from this set. I think it remained unreleased and unbooted for good reason. The rest of the set doesn't hold much interest. I'm glad the fans have it, though.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 13, 2017 10:11

Wouldn't It Be Nice - Acapella Isolated Vocals - The Beach Boys
[www.youtube.com]

God Only Knows (Isolated Vocals)
[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 13, 2017 11:41

LongBeachArena72
Ross

Agree about Surf's Up, and also love Holland, but could never warm up to Wild Honey or Sunflower.

Must give them another listen or two.

Holland is brilliant.

Date: August 13, 2017 12:52

peoplewitheyes
I know there are a few BB fans around here, so I wanted to ask who's been enjoying the new 1967 release?

The stereo Wild Honey sounds so expansive and rich, and I've always been a sucker for studio session bits, different musical configurations, backing tracks.

I don't care for the live cuts too much (yet) but all in all it's a wonderful compilation.

I wish the Stones would bust out some nerdy sessions discs. 10 hours of the Tumblin' Dice riff, repeating and revolving? Yes please!

I am also a sucker for studio outtakes; Stones, and maybe Beatles. But I have never been much of a Beach Boys fan; even of their best material. I have 'Sunflower', 'Surf's Up', 'Today' 'Endless Summer' and 'Pet Sounds' I think. But what Marianna says works for me: I have lost my taste for them.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 13, 2017 14:06

I like most all of the Beach Boys career for about ten years; I think Surfs Up was my departure album, but I liked some of it a lot.

The very early albums is where a lot of the gold if for me; That early spate of killer hits one after another still ring true and hit hard; they are infectious and wonderful imo. I'm always interested in those guys. I have little patience for Mike Love or the last decades of their row show; I loved 'em all; Al, Carl, Brian, Dennis, even Mike at first, like the funny uncle nerd who could stiff ass do the jerk but sing good...
those early hits are the deep rich vein; Brian still packs 'em in every time he plays. Carl's loss was heartbreaking and tragic; immeasurable; they'll never recreate it without him I mean Brian does but Carl is big loss imo...

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: August 13, 2017 15:54

Have not heard the new release yet, but look forward to it- I will give Sunflower another listen, but its never been one of my favorites. Surfs Up, Holland, Carl & The Passions were all on my playlist over the years-- I always thought "Marcella" from Carl & the Passions was sooo overlooked. A killer track for sure.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 13, 2017 22:22

Recently on PBS there was a Sgt. Pepper documentary of sorts done by a musicologist who dissected and offered insights into a number of the songs. There are lots of You Tube selections of BB songs vocal tracks for most of your favorite songs. One thing you realize watching the Sgt. Pepper doc or listening to the BB tracks is how much WORK it was to put the final product together. Sgt. Pepper and Good Vibrations jumped out of your radio because the bands put in so much time and simply did the tedious legwork that was required on now antiquated equipment. There is much more to this, I realize, but by the most fundamental measure...they worked harder than others to achieve the sound they wanted.

I cannot think of Brian Wilson without my heart going out to that fragile and gentle soul.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1714
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home