Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

55 & COUNTING PARTY - ORANGE COUNTY, CA
Posted by: glimmerman ()
Date: July 8, 2017 19:13

Join us this Wednesday night as we commemorate The Stones’ first concert on July 12th, 1962 at freeway-close La Rinconada Restaurant, 300 W. 5th St., Santa Ana, CA.

Free admission with live music by members of The Joneses and Pontiac Bros. Dine on great Mexican food and cocktails as the D.J. spins “Best of the Bootlegs” starting at 8 P.M.

Hoping to see old friends from our record store, Beggars Banquet in Anaheim. Come have a fun summer romance evening with food, music and a surprise or two.

R.S.V.P. or questions at mrosney1@cox.net

55 & COUNTING!

Re: 55 & COUNTING PARTY - ORANGE COUNTY, CA
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 9, 2017 17:35

You don't know me, but if you're the guy who owned Beggars Banquet I sure remember you.

First time I went into that store at Beach & Ball Avenues was on a very hot day in the summer of 1976. A friend of mine who worked at Middle Earth Records in Downey had told me about it.

For me, it was like walking into Rolling Stones Heaven. You had a cardboard Rolling Stones Tour of Europe 76 promo display in your front window. (NOBODY else had this! And it was so new I think the tour might have still been going on!)

You had the flat cover slick of the original Beggar's Banquet album--which hasn't been a big deal since they started putting it on the album once again (for the first time!) in the 80's--on display, and also had extra copies for sale.

That itself was a mind-blowing cool thing--to obtain an ultra-rare unused copy of that cover that I had only seen a photo of in a magazine.

I left with a stack of bootlegs that day. And then came back the next day to buy another stack because I had to get more money! Albums like Summer Re-Runs, which collected Stones TV appearances from Ed Sullivan, etc. Albums with cool William Stout covers. Looking back on how I would drive for miles to get a record (I thought nothing of traveling to Rhino in Westwood just to obtain a 45 with a rare B-side) it just amazes me how easy it all is today.

If back then I had seen myself now (apart from thinking, "Where did your hair all go?" ) listening to "Criss Cross Man" or some other bootleg track on ear buds that I've casually pulled up from a You Tube video on my phone while walking the dog...I would say that I was living in a science-fiction future fantasy world!

When you think about it, we are.

Anyway, at Beggar's Banquet it didn't take long before the bootlegs were moved to a curtained-off back room. Next to the doorway was a framed poster for Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones, the one that looked sort like an old circus ad.

Again, ultra-rare and extremely cool.

Why do I remember all this--and yet huge chunks of the 90's are just a blur to me?

Some things just stick in your mind.

Years later I was at a NRBQ show at the Coach House in San Juan Capistrano, and there you were in the opening band! That gives you some kind of bragging rights.

That, and using the term "Beggar's Banquet" BEFORE the magazine, the record label, and probably some restaurant that is out there somewhere.

With a bunch of waiters who've never even heard of the album.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 10, 2017 19:52

Nice post loogdroog!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 10, 2017 20:13

I wish I could go but I am nine time zones away here in Europe unfortunately. Have a great party!

Bjornulf

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: July 10, 2017 22:52

Oh I like that...

No house music, the D.J. spins “Best of the Bootlegs”

Makes me remember back in 1974

Spain... Costa Blanca... A discotheque... DJ was a friendly guy... I came with a stack of colored vinyls... And he played in a row different versions of Midnight Rambler on the dance floor.. MSG 1972... Bedspring Symphony... Liver Than You'll Ever Be... Regulars and patrons were in awe.. That was something..

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 11, 2017 00:17

loog droog
... Beggars Banquet I sure remember you.

Next to the doorway was a framed poster for Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones, the one that looked sort like an old circus ad

Date: July 11, 2017 03:39

If your not doin' anything Weds. nite come on out. I know there are several IORR's from Tustin, Orange and points south. It was a lot of fun when they did this several years ago. Eat, have a couple cocktails and talk Stones. And the band's pretty damn good too. Hope to see some of you there.

Scotty,
Irvine, CA.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: July 11, 2017 16:32

Yo Glimmerman!

So happy to see you are still rockin' with the Pontiacs. Love that you are doing this. Wish I could be there with some of the old Philly gang. Will be thinking of you.

BTW July 12th is our wedding anniversary and daughter Haley is getting married this weekend with some of the usual local suspects in attendance.

Rock on my friend. Best wishes to family.

HBK

Posted by: bkrancho ()
Date: July 13, 2017 00:12

I'll be there!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1845
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home