Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324Next
Current Page: 19 of 24
Re: On Air in the Sixties: New Book, CD and LP by The Rolling Stones
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 13, 2017 02:08

Also, Blue and Lonesome is #2 on this week's Billboard Blues Albums chart after a full year on the chart.

HEY YEAH!!! ..... Well done and it deserves it ... Actually should be No1

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 13, 2017 04:10

After speculating in the "new album" thread earlier, I'm wondreing why they didn't release a Deluxe on Air and/or a Super Deluxe On Air? Based on reading some of the comments in this thread, seems they have plenty of material, and throw in a dvd of some historical televised performances from the era (not specifically BBC), it would have been great! Seems a missed opportunity as I would have happily splurged for some extras, and there are probably many others that would also - especially with Christmas around the corner. Maybe it was a matter of keeping it simple and shifting as many copies as possible? Whatever the reason, I suppose (and hope) we can expect an On Air volume II in the future just as the Beatles did a few years ago with Live at the BBC II... eventually followed by a volume III, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-13 04:10 by Hairball.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 13, 2017 04:49

Hairball
After speculating in the "new album" thread earlier, I'm wondreing why they didn't release a Deluxe on Air and/or a Super Deluxe On Air? Based on reading some of the comments in this thread, seems they have plenty of material, and throw in a dvd of some historical televised performances from the era (not specifically BBC), it would have been great! Seems a missed opportunity as I would have happily splurged for some extras, and there are probably many others that would also - especially with Christmas around the corner. Maybe it was a matter of keeping it simple and shifting as many copies as possible? Whatever the reason, I suppose (and hope) we can expect an On Air volume II in the future just as the Beatles did a few years ago with Live at the BBC II... eventually followed by a volume III, etc.

I'm afraid there's not much left in terms of top sound quality material from original master tapes or transcription discs - from the top of my head Not Fade Away is conspicious by its absence, plus Carol from the Joe Loss show - to justify a second or even third BBC release which would have to rely heavily on off-air recordings, so lesser quality material like on CD2 of the deluxe 2CD set.

They could use "not strictly BBC stuff" like UK and US TV appearances, however, but a standalone Volume 2 would be a pale companion to Volume 1 because the most interesting songs have already been used, a unique version of "It's All Over Now" from Sunday Night At The London Palladium 1967 notwithstanding, and of course Brian's last public appearance at the NME 1968 Pollwinner's show, if material like this still exists today in suitable quality and is available to them.

All in all, my best guess is that we'll see a reworked & expanded edition of On Air in a couple of years time instead of a standalone Volume 2.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-13 04:54 by retired_dog.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: December 13, 2017 05:04

Maybe Ward Records could come up with one of their Super Deluxe packages like they did with Sweet Summer Sun. That one included an extra 3 track CD. Their LA Forum super deluxe had 2 different shows in that box. On Air could benefit from that treatment by including the missing tracks, rework the messed up Last Time and correct the stupid mistakes in that booklet. Maybe even rework the track listing to make it in chronological order.

Date: December 13, 2017 05:11

Thanks retired_dog - I thought there might have been much more available.

But Nick might be on to something...maybe they will release On Air Revisited (Corrected).

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 13, 2017 08:22

Maybe they're running out of Grade A material, and had to hold back the videos for next Christmas. As long as they're imitating the Beatles, I'm sure we'll get a true video anthology at some point, with all their promo films. I doubt they would re-issue Rewind. They should include the interactions between Bill and Mick as bonus material.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 13, 2017 08:23

nick
Maybe Ward Records could come up with one of their Super Deluxe packages like they did with Sweet Summer Sun. That one included an extra 3 track CD. Their LA Forum super deluxe had 2 different shows in that box. On Air could benefit from that treatment by including the missing tracks, rework the messed up Last Time and correct the stupid mistakes in that booklet. Maybe even rework the track listing to make it in chronological order.

Maybe, may be - but we all can imagine it won't happen. If there was a super deluxe or whatever box planned it would have been released on December 1. Correcting mistakes makes them visible to all.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 13, 2017 10:46

Interesting reference to Not Fade Away.
It is of course a Buddy Holly composition. I assume former Beatle Paul holds the rights? (he does to most of Holly's works).

Date: December 13, 2017 11:03

retired_dog
Hairball

I'm afraid there's not much left in terms of top sound quality material from original master tapes or transcription discs - from the top of my head Not Fade Away is conspicious by its absence, plus Carol from the Joe Loss show - to justify a second or even third BBC release which would have to rely heavily on off-air recordings, so lesser quality material like on CD2 of the deluxe 2CD set.

They could use "not strictly BBC stuff" like UK and US TV appearances, however, but a standalone Volume 2 would be a pale companion to Volume 1 because the most interesting songs have already been used, a unique version of "It's All Over Now" from Sunday Night At The London Palladium 1967 notwithstanding, and of course Brian's last public appearance at the NME 1968 Pollwinner's show, if material like this still exists today in suitable quality and is available to them.

All in all, my best guess is that we'll see a reworked & expanded edition of On Air in a couple of years time instead of a standalone Volume 2.

They could do that, and why not? Although we have them, it's nice to have them gathered on an official release - hopefully upgraded a bit sound-wise.

The TAMI-show, for instance, was very well recorded (like Blues In Rhythm was for On Air).

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 13, 2017 11:05

On Air Volume 2 ?
No problem. Here's my proposed track list -

Disc 1 - Bye Bye Johnny / I Wanna Be Your Man /Diddley Daddy / Little By Little
/ Look What You’ve Done / Mona / Not Fade Away / Now I’ve Got A Witness / Pretty Thing / Walking The Dog. / You Better Move On / Reelin’ And Rockin’/ Roll Over Beethoven / Route 66
"Dear Bill, please could you lend us your acetate of the Radio Luxembourg session we did in March 1964. We will arrange a high quality transfer and return it to you with a digital transfer and promise not to have the word "front" on your head on the cover. We will not achieve this by eliminating you from the cover, just by being careful this time. Best wishes, your pal Sir Michael."

Disc 2 - the rest of the surviving BBC tracks, correctly labelled from best sources.

The sleeve notes could contain a correct BBC session listing.
If they really want to go for it, this could be released in tandem with a remastered On Air Volume 1 (like the Beatles did) with corrections and best possible sources used this time round.

Date: December 13, 2017 11:23

ash
On Air Volume 2 ?

/ Look What You’ve Done / Mona / Not Fade Away / Now I’ve Got A Witness / Pretty Thing / Walking The Dog. / You Better Move On / Reelin’ And Rockin’/ Roll Over Beethoven / Route 66
"Dear Bill, please could you lend us your acetate of the Radio Luxembourg session we did in March 1964. We will arrange a high quality transfer and return it to you with a digital transfer and promise not to have the word "front" on your head on the cover. We will not achieve this by eliminating you from the cover, just by being careful this time. Best wishes, your pal Sir Michael."

Disc 2 - the rest of the surviving BBC tracks, correctly labelled from best sources.

If they really want to go for it, this could be released in tandem with a remastered On Air Volume 1 (like the Beatles did) with corrections and best possible sources used this time round.

6 of the songs are already on On Air, though, but by all means: Yes!

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: December 13, 2017 11:26

ash
On Air Volume 2 ?

Nice idea. But...
You know, those guys who make these research, put together compilations and write booklets are payed (unlike fans that do the same for free). And I believe those guys will never give up and will never let somebody from the street to step in. Because an ordinary fan without paycheck and with better knowledge will make them unemployed in a moment. BTW - the words 'corrections' and 'quality control' are not the things the guys from big companies are fond of to hear after the product hit the street winking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 13, 2017 11:36

..... on ward march to the new studio album ... and UK shows .... Gonna come along LG ???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 13, 2017 15:23

The digital "glitch" in "The Last Time" is also present on a 2011 BBC Radio 6 Music broadcast.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: December 13, 2017 15:31

Deltics
The digital "glitch" in "The Last Time" is also present on a 2011 BBC Radio 6 Music broadcast.

The «glitch» is remarkably on the beat winking smiley

Date: December 13, 2017 15:36

ash
On Air Volume 2 ?

Yes, of course, the Radio Luxembourg session would justify another "On Air" release, if, and that's a big "if", the material still exists in suitable quality, like the stuff I mentioned from Sunday Night At The London Palladium or NME 1968. We just don't know anything about the condition of Bill's acetate (if he really still owns it), and then there's James K. claiming that he has a master tape (original master of the actual session or an amateur "off air" "master"?), and I'm not saying he's making things up but it remains to be seen if it's indeed the case.

From the various rebroadcasts in the 90's it's obvious that the Paris 65/66/67 shows still exist in the French Radio's vaults, so that's another possibility, like the TAMI show Dandy mentioned (although already officially available on DVD and Blu-ray).

There's a lot they could do with "outside BBC" material, but not with the missing BBC tracks alone. That was my point! Maybe it was not by coincidence that they called it "On Air" and not "Live At The BBC"!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-13 18:11 by retired_dog.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: December 13, 2017 15:36

Deltics
BBC 2, November 15, 2012 too. But it still sounds like a bad edit or slice.

Date: December 13, 2017 15:43

retired_dog
ash
On Air Volume 2 ?

Yes, of course, the Radio Luxembourg session would justify another "On Air" release, if, and that's a big "if", the material still exists in suitable quality, like the stuff I mentioned from Sunday Night At The London Palladium or NME 1968. We just don't know anything about the condition of Bill's acetate (if he really still owns it), and then there's James K. claiming that he has a master tape (original master of the actual session or an amateur "off air" "master"?), and I'm not saying he's making things up but it remains to be seen if it's indeed the case.

From the various rebroadcasts in the 90's it's obvious that the Paris 65/66/67 shows still exist in the French Radio's vaults, so that's another possibility, like the TAMI show Dandy mentioned (although already officially available on DVD and Blu-ray).

There's a lot they could with "outside BBC" material, but not with the missing BBC tracks alone. That was my point! Maybe it was not by coincidence that they called it "On Air" and not "Live At The BBC"!

The Beatles: In Mono
The Beatles: On Air

Sounds familiar? winking smiley

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: December 13, 2017 16:21

Just listening for the first time this morning, and the Route 66 version is amazing.
They are totally in sync, Bill and Charlie really make this version. Bill is awesome on the songs that I chose to sample.

I have had these songs for a very long time on bootleg CD, and this official version is the best sound possible of these recordings, from what I've heard. Bill Wyman's playing certainly shows why he was so important to their sound.

Date: December 13, 2017 18:25

onestep
Just listening for the first time this morning, and the Route 66 version is amazing.
They are totally in sync, Bill and Charlie really make this version. Bill is awesome on the songs that I chose to sample.

I have had these songs for a very long time on bootleg CD, and this official version is the best sound possible of these recordings, from what I've heard. Bill Wyman's playing certainly shows why he was so important to their sound.

I would even go so far to say that he was as important to their live sound as Keith. It's just not that obvious because a guitar stands more out whereas a good groove is taken for granted, one usually does not closely listen to the bass as much as to the guitar(s). The majority of the audience does not dissect the sound coming out of the speakers anyway, they usually follow the lead vocals and instrumental solos. With Bill, his importance was not generally recognized as long as he was there imo.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 13, 2017 18:45

retired_dog
Deltics
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
retired_dog
exilestones

"Fanny Mae": "I like this version more than the better known Chess outtake,...

Where is this "better known Chess outtake" of Fanny Mae? Did I miss something in nearly 50 years of collecting?

There is no Fanny Mae outtake among "normal" collectors of course.

Outtake, as in not released on Out Of Our Heads. He writes about the well-known Chess-version of Fanny Mae.

All of the Chess boots that I've got have used the BBC recording as a substitute.
Zentgraf has it listed as "Unverified".

Yes, that's why I thought that this "better known" = "more widely available" remark was a bit hilarious. A Chess outtake of Fanny Mae may exist or not, but even if that's the case, it's surely not "better known" than the BBC recording.

I'm not very knowledgeable about Fanny Mae. I do know that it appears on Chess outtake bootlegs.

Date: December 13, 2017 20:33

ironbelly
Deltics
BBC 2, November 15, 2012 too. But it still sounds like a bad edit or slice.

Hopefully one of our talented people on IORR will fix problem. I thought it sounded like a skip on a vinyl record.

Date: December 13, 2017 20:43

retired_dog

"Fanny Mae": "I like this version more than the better known Chess outtake,...

Where is this "better known Chess outtake" of Fanny Mae? Did I miss something in nearly 50 years of collecting?

Thanks for uncovering this common misnomer (a common wrong or inaccurate use of a name or term).

Since you read that Beeb review, here's a few more from Sticky Fingers magazine. It's not all BBC but I had no way to separate the reviews:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-13 22:56 by exilestones.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 14, 2017 02:21

"On Air" debuts on the charts (updated 13/12/2017)

#8 The Netherlands
#10 Germany
#12 Belgium (Flanders)
#13 Argentina
#16 Japan (5,217 copies sold)
#19 Austria
#20 Scotland
#22 Sweden
#22 Swiss
#22 Italy
#23 Spain
#27 United Kingdom (9,603 copies sold)
#29 Norway
#30 Wales
#32 Belgium (Wallonia)
#36 Ireland
#44 New Zealand
#47 United States (13,763 copies sold + 963 stream points = 14,726 sales)
#54 France (4,000 copies sold)
#54 Australia
#58 Canada

#9 South Korea (International artists)

Date: December 14, 2017 04:28

I'm still getting through these cuts but already some don't seem like they were ever ready to be released. Too rough.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 14, 2017 13:23

retired_dog
onestep

I would even go so far to say that he was as important to their live sound as Keith. It's just not that obvious because a guitar stands more out whereas a good groove is taken for granted, one usually does not closely listen to the bass as much as to the guitar(s). The majority of the audience does not dissect the sound coming out of the speakers anyway, they usually follow the lead vocals and instrumental solos. With Bill, his importance was not generally recognized as long as he was there imo.
Ever since I was a kid growing up I was told by older friends/fans that the Stones were known for having a very heavy bass sound in there music ,which is the way I was used to hearing the sound .Then when Bill left the first tour for Darryl Jones in 1994 he was playing more Jazzy type bass and I got used to it fast and appreciated it .Then the next tour he was directed to lay a very rudimentary and basic bass groove and he was much lower in the live mix thru the sound board as opposed to the way Bill dominated the lower register of the sound spectrum , think of it like you were going to disco/dance club with the bass pumping thru those speakers and pounding in your chest and you could not help hearing and feeling it as well and as much as I like and appreciate the very talented Darryl Jones it's just not the same and I miss Bill Wyman terribly , but at the same time respect him for his choice that he made .Mick and Keith did select the best Bassist to replace the great Bill Wyman .smiling smiley

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: December 14, 2017 17:44

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-08 15:40 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 14, 2017 18:25

UrbanSteel

Ward Records works with Eagle Records and not with Polydor / Capitol.

But Eagle Records, Polydor and Capitol are all part of the Universal Music Group -- [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Date: December 14, 2017 19:47

TheGreek
retired_dog
onestep

Ever since I was a kid growing up I was told by older friends/fans that the Stones were known for having a very heavy bass sound in there music ,which is the way I was used to hearing the sound .Then when Bill left the first tour for Darryl Jones in 1994 he was playing more Jazzy type bass and I got used to it fast and appreciated it .Then the next tour he was directed to lay a very rudimentary and basic bass groove and he was much lower in the live mix thru the sound board as opposed to the way Bill dominated the lower register of the sound spectrum , think of it like you were going to disco/dance club with the bass pumping thru those speakers and pounding in your chest and you could not help hearing and feeling it as well and as much as I like and appreciate the very talented Darryl Jones it's just not the same and I miss Bill Wyman terribly , but at the same time respect him for his choice that he made .Mick and Keith did select the best Bassist to replace the great Bill Wyman .smiling smiley

If I could point to a Rolling Stones song that has some sort of Darryl Jones signature on it, some sound that only he has, some contribution to their musical canon. But I can't. I watched him absolutely struggle and fall apart trying to play the bass line to 'Anybody Seen My Baby' live on the BTB tour. (Done in the studio by Jamie Muhoberec). They replaced guitarists with artists who had different strengths. Other than being there when the bell rings, I still don't understand Darryl's musical contribution. And yes, 90% of it is showing up, but what is the other 10%? He can noodle all say on a Miss You solo, but it's laughable compared to Wyman playing it live. Maybe that's why they wouldn't let Bill play it at the O2 in 2012.

Date: December 14, 2017 20:28

I agree with you 24PS - any studio wiz could have filled the void in the same generic way Darryl has - it's almost robotic.

That said, he played some wicked bass on the live Emotional Rescue - unfortunately it's one of my least favorite Stones tunes

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324Next
Current Page: 19 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1486
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home