Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 24
Re: On Air in the Sixties: New Book, CD and LP by The Rolling Stones
Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: December 6, 2017 23:18

Rockman
worts and all its still a great package ta have and to hear over again ....
Sure. It is still nice package. And let us hope for the best - they will re-do it properly. Remember that awful compilation from 1997 - The Story Of Them Featuring Van Morrison (The Anthology 1964-1966) mastered by Jon Astley. That set was a total screw up - tons of fake stereo tracks, noise reduction, wrong takes, the same song recorded twice on the same disk etc. But in 2015 they made very nice re-make - The Complete Them 1964-1967 that got positive reviews even from hard-core fans. Mind, Van Morrison was involved and he is not an easy person to deal with.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 6, 2017 23:26

YEAH Ironbelly ...
we gotta live on in hope that someone in thee abkco camp reads this ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: HomerSimpson ()
Date: December 7, 2017 01:17

Does anyone know what happened to the DVD that was originally supposed to be part of this release ?

Date: December 7, 2017 04:18

.... DVD ??? ... they'll milk one cow at a time

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 7, 2017 06:05

I'm so glad I have no boots to compare On Air with. It will be all new to me. Nothing to piss and moan about.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 7, 2017 09:10

24FPS
I'm so glad I have no boots to compare On Air with. It will be all new to me. Nothing to piss and moan about.

Innocent - like a new-born baby...

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 7, 2017 11:50

If someone needs the Cover ....

4000x4000px (directly from the iTunes-Store)

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 7, 2017 11:55

24FPS

Ignorance is bliss and I'm envious. I first heard these tracks over 30 years ago when they were re-broadcast for the first time since the 60's in Stones At The Beeb on the BBC. Some of the tracks are terrific and I particularly like Aint That Loving You Baby (Bill's bass is wicked) but there's no need to feel left out while we all piss and moan. You can still have the word "FRONT" stamped on Bill's head on the cover if you're buying the vinyl without having to worry about mislabelled tracks or the best tape sources not being used.
Any Stones album with I'm Moving On included has to be worth it.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 7, 2017 11:58

Irix
If someone needs the Cover ....

I can't believe they've edited out the word FRONT from Bill's head for the iTunes release. It's not historically accurate.

Date: December 7, 2017 13:10

ash

I can't believe they've edited out the word FRONT from Bill's head for the iTunes release. It's not historically accurate.

The word 'FRONT' on top of Bill's head is also not on the CD-release (orange & yellow Cover), also not on the Standard-LP (orange Cover). It's also not to see on Amazon (yellow Cover) ....

And Charlie doesn't smoke on the 'On Air'-Cover -- B/W-Picture .... winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-07 13:15 by Irix.

Date: December 7, 2017 13:27

Irix
ash

The word 'FRONT' on top of Bill's head is also not on the CD-release (orange & yellow Cover), also not on the Standard-LP (orange Cover). It's also not to see on Amazon (yellow Cover) ....

And Charlie doesn't smoke on the 'On Air'-Cover -- B/W-Picture .... winking smiley

It should have been named «Clean Air» instead grinning smiley

Posted by: alexander paul ()
Date: December 7, 2017 15:13

Not intended to spoil anyone’s fun of the On Air-release I have to admit that for me (with my interest in history and sources) both all the discussions are part of my personal pleasure, as contacts with experts like Ash.
I like On Air, because of its quality (e.g. the prominent bass). You now can hear they were a great band in their youth too, at least we have better proof of that.
We now know that the information on the cover is not always correct (Hi heel sneakers, Ain’t that loving you baby, Walking the dog). More?
A real shame is what totally unnecessary has been done with the edit of The last time, also not-using a more complete version (with a real ending) of Walking the dog and the glitch right at the beginning of Beautiful Delilah.
I think the tracks have been collected at the BBC, especially if they were of high quality from the start. Therefor all the tracks that the BBC remastered and rebroadcasted in the 80ties and 90ties we can find on On Air, but further improved. It is a pity that however a socalled on-air high quality track as Not fade away (Saturday Club, April 18 1964) was not used.
I can accept that there are no songs double on the On Air-cd, and chronology has been avoided. (We have that on all our familiar bootlegs, maybe sometimes only missing Not fade away, Joe Loss Show, Apr. 10, 1964, as on Another Time Another Place disc 5, and It’s all over now, Top Gear, July 23, 1964 as on The Lost Treasure. And we definitively can make our own chronology with the new On Air-cd.)
Also sadly missing are (off-air recordings) like Don’t lie to me, Bye bye Johnny (Saturday Club, Febr. 8, 1964), and Meet me in the bottom, You can make it if you try (Saturday Club, June 6, 1964), that are with respect to audio quality not less than On Air-tracks e.g. Beautiful Delilah or Ain’t that loving you baby.
I hope new as yet unknown BBC-recordings can show up in the future, not from the BBC itself probably, but from fans who have recorded tracks on their tape recorder from broadcasts in the sixties. And most urgently the Radio Luxemburg-tape of March 18, 1964.
Notwithstanding my and everybody’s critical comments I do love what we got as December-present.

Date: December 7, 2017 15:18

alexander paul
Not intended to spoil anyone’s fun of the On Air-release I have to admit that for me (with my interest in history and sources) both all the discussions are part of my personal pleasure, as contacts with experts like Ash.
I like On Air, because of its quality (e.g. the prominent bass). You now can hear they were a great band in their youth too, at least we have better proof of that.
We now know that the information on the cover is not always correct (Hi heel sneakers, Ain’t that loving you baby, Walking the dog). More?
A real shame is what totally unnecessary has been done with the edit of The last time, also not-using a more complete version (with a real ending) of Walking the dog and the glitch right at the beginning of Beautiful Delilah.
I think the tracks have been collected at the BBC, especially if they were of high quality from the start. Therefor all the tracks that the BBC remastered and rebroadcasted in the 80ties and 90ties we can find on On Air, but further improved. It is a pity that however a socalled on-air high quality track as Not fade away (Saturday Club, April 18 1964) was not used.
I can accept that there are no songs double on the On Air-cd, and chronology has been avoided. (We have that on all our familiar bootlegs, maybe sometimes only missing Not fade away, Joe Loss Show, Apr. 10, 1964, as on Another Time Another Place disc 5, and It’s all over now, Top Gear, July 23, 1964 as on The Lost Treasure. And we definitively can make our own chronology with the new On Air-cd.)
Also sadly missing are (off-air recordings) like Don’t lie to me, Bye bye Johnny (Saturday Club, Febr. 8, 1964), and Meet me in the bottom, You can make it if you try (Saturday Club, June 6, 1964), that are with respect to audio quality not less than On Air-tracks e.g. Beautiful Delilah or Ain’t that loving you baby.
I hope new as yet unknown BBC-recordings can show up in the future, not from the BBC itself probably, but from fans who have recorded tracks on their tape recorder from broadcasts in the sixties. And most urgently the Radio Luxemburg-tape of March 18, 1964.
Notwithstanding my and everybody’s critical comments I do love what we got as December-present.

That sounds more like a mistake, rather than an active edit, don't you think?

Then again, what they inserted is on the beat, so...

Posted by: alexander paul ()
Date: December 7, 2017 15:39

This kind of neglicence is a shame too!

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 7, 2017 19:54

Making of ‘On Air’… delve into Abbey Road demix process

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: December 7, 2017 20:32

I've heard something like that before winking smiley

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: December 7, 2017 20:40

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-08 15:41 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 7, 2017 21:46

With 'On Air,' Rolling Stones Look to Past Radio Recordings

The Rolling Stones have released an album of rarely heard radio recordings, but Keith Richards admits with a laugh: "I barely remember some of them."

"The Rolling Stones — On Air" was released last week. It features 32 songs that originally aired between 1963 and 1965 on BBC shows like "Saturday Club," ''Top Gear" and "The Joe Loss Pop Show."

"It was weird time to record in London in 1963, '64. Both the Beatles and us used to look at each other and say, 'What are you doing tomorrow? We'll, we're doing the Joss Loss show on BBC Radio' and we all shivered because no one knew how to record these things," Richards said.

"To me, they're incredible pieces of history."

Eight of the songs were never recorded or released commercially. Richards said he remembers the hysteria at the time.

"It was so frantic. Everything was frantic. The schedule was frantic. The fans were particularly frantic. This was the teeny-bopper time," he recalled. "It was overwhelming ... At 19 years old, it's all a bit of a blur, but a very pleasant one I have to say."

"On Air" features well-known Stones songs such as "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" as well as Chuck Berry covers, including "Roll Over Beethoven," ''Memphis, Tennessee," ''Beautiful Delilah" and "Come On," the Stones' debut single.

"That guy had it all. The lyrics, his sense of rhythm, it's unbelievable. I'm still amazed when I hear the actual records, the Chess Records, today. I just go back to them, just to refill," Richards said of Berry, who died in March.

"The only thing that Chuck and I used to laugh about before he went, unfortunately his biggest record was 'My Ding-a-Ling,'" Richards added, laughing. "Unfortunately, the silly little ditty became actually his biggest-selling record."

In the early '60s, the Stones' lineup also included Mick Jagger, Charlie Watts, Brian Jones and Bill Wyman. Richards said they were "a club band that sort of managed to expand its thing onto the big stage."

The band returned to its blues roots last year with the release of "Blue & Lonesome," which earned the Stones a Grammy nomination for best traditional blues album. They are currently working on an album of originals.

"We're picking up the threads on a new album as we speak. I'm in touch with Don Was," Richards said.

[www.nytimes.com]

Date: December 7, 2017 22:11

Thanks Deltics ... great stuff

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 8, 2017 01:20

Wish they'd talk to other Stones about these recordings. I'm sure Bill has some memories. And I think he has to be compensated like the others because he was on these recordings. (Along with the Brian Jones estate, whomever that is).

Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: December 8, 2017 04:44

24FPS
Wish they'd talk to other Stones about these recordings. I'm sure Bill has some memories. And I think he has to be compensated like the others because he was on these recordings. (Along with the Brian Jones estate, whomever that is).

Especially Bill since he's always written everything down and has the best memory of the bunch. It's interesting that you mention the Brian Jones estate. Is his sister Barbara still alive? I would imagine that the estate goes through her or any children she may have had.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 8, 2017 19:06

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Debut at #27 in the UK chart.

Date: December 8, 2017 19:50

Chart entry in Germany: #10 (8-Dec-2017).

Down to #19 on 15-Dec-2017.

[www.OffizielleCharts.de] , [www.Viva.tv] (Charts by GfK)

Also #10 on 8-Dec-2017 at [www.Charts.de] by MediaControl.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-15 23:00 by Irix.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 8, 2017 20:41

ovalvox
24FPS

Especially Bill since he's always written everything down and has the best memory of the bunch. It's interesting that you mention the Brian Jones estate. Is his sister Barbara still alive? I would imagine that the estate goes through her or any children she may have had.

Should be in Stone Alone, no??

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 8, 2017 21:47

From UK's Music Week:

"The Who, The Jam, The Beatles and Led Zeppelin have all made the charts this century with compilations of vintage BBC recordings. Now, after more than 50 years in the BBC vaults, 32 painstakingly restored Rolling Stones radio performances spanning 1963-1965, make up On Air, which debuts at No.27 (9,603 sales), becoming the group's 50th chart album."

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: December 8, 2017 23:04

Peccant opinion or not, very early Stones is probably my least favorite Stones period, but the one thing I like about this album is Mick sings the high notes with growly roughness, that was subsequently relegated to only studio albums. His live "Vegas voice" (broadened voice with no high notes or growls or roughness as a preservative) was still in the future.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 9, 2017 01:50

[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 9, 2017 02:33

Here's my 2 cents on first impressions. I'll go in to detail later when I take notes.

I wrote to my friend Dan and told him I'm glad to have On Air. For the little bit of money it's a nice collection. I expected something more perfect sounding as some of the tracks are excellent sounding however they aren't my favorite tracks.

Some tracks seem to lack energy while others rock!

My problem as Dan puts it:

"I think the major problem is that you are not as much of a fan of the blues standards covered…that is why it does not jump out immediately.
If we had some later cuts LIKE the re-done It’s All Over Now!!! We would both be MORE excited!!!!
Dan"

He's correct. He knows me. I agree with:

"Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
I don't mind this era; the blues covers are, in my book, much of a muchness with he Yardbirds, Pretty Things, Animals, Downliners Sect etc.

I prefer it when Satisfaction, Cloud, etc started to kick into gear."

Although I do love many songs from the very early Stones.

I am enjoying On Air. I think it's great that it's officially released.

I don't know this material extremely well. My favorite boots from this era are "Rough, Dirty and Irresistible," "Got Satisfaction if You Want It" and Boss Hawg's "Stones Roll the BBC."

I think Swing Pig and Boss Hawg did it best with this tracks - high quality and a nice album to listen to from start to finish.

I remember "Beat Beat Beat at the Beeb" always getting the most praise and it's a great collection however some of the quality of some of the tracks are far better with the Pig and the Hawg.

For the people who are kindly comparing On Air to the bootlegs, please compare the Pig and the Hawg too.

Is there anything new with these tracks?

For more on Boss Hawg: [wetransfer.com]

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 9, 2017 02:50

Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: December 9, 2017 06:16

I don't recall any slide guitar on Confessin the Blues. Keith on lead. Brian on rhythm trading licks with Keith during the breaks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-09 06:17 by ovalvox.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2191
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home