Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324Next
Current Page: 23 of 24
Re: On Air in the Sixties: New Book, CD and LP by The Rolling Stones
Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: December 29, 2017 15:38

...I bought BOTH ...the official and " London calling "..that's the best way...and I'm happy..!

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 30, 2017 01:51

The book is beginning to irritate me as I'm reading through it.

I get an overwhelming feeing that it's adding nothing to the pool of (quality) information about the Rolling Stones in the 1960s.

(Plus, despite being a Brit, the author mistakenly thinks that the M1 was the UK's first Motorway. It wasn't. Guess I'm getting cranky about the book.)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: nick ()
Date: December 30, 2017 02:27

The Captain is correct and jp.M has the most sensible solution. Ditch that book, get London Calling and hope they don't try to follow up with a Vol. 2

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: December 30, 2017 21:15

After first listen I felt that they played much better then than ever.
Those Keith's leads got buried on the sixtees

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: December 30, 2017 21:16

The bass is a gem in these recordings

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 6, 2018 02:27

"On Air" on the charts (as of 05/01/2018)

#8 The Netherlands (8-32-20-32-41)
#10 Germany (10-19-24-35-44)
#12 Belgium (Flanders) (12-18-15-23-25)
#13 Argentina (13-14-out)
#16 Japan (16-37-70-100-out) (12,000 copies sold)
#19 Austria (19-34-34-46)
#20 Scotland (20-42-58-57)
#22 Sweden (22-43-out)
#22 Swiss (22-31-46-39)
#22 Italy (22-51-70-62)
#23 Spain (23-43-56-76)
#23 Belgium (Wallonia) (32-23-31-47-47)
#24 Norway (29-24-out)
#27 United Kingdom (27-50-64-78-89) (22,500 copies sold)
#30 Wales (30-53-78-76)
#36 Ireland (36-out)
#40 Czech Repiblic (40-70-43)
#44 New Zealand (44-out)
#47 United States (47-107-183-out) (33,457 copies sold + 2300 stream points = 35,757 sales)
#47 Greece (60-47-72)
#54 France (54-74-74-85) (12,000 copies sold)
#54 Australia (54-97-89-143)
#58 Canada (58-82-out)

Also
#3 Croatia (International Albums)
#9 South Korea (International Albums)

World Wide sales:
61,400 copies sold (Week 01)
30,300 copies sold (Week 02)

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 6, 2018 22:48

Today, I ripped the deluxe edition of On Air on to my computer and then made CD-Rs where I put the 32 tracks in chrono order. It flows better than the released version.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 6, 2018 22:59

I've listened to some of it on Spotify, about 5 songs. I've heard enough and I'm certainly not buying it. It's interesting but not what I'm interested in as a Stones fan.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 8, 2018 08:08

ab
Today, I ripped the deluxe edition of On Air on to my computer and then made CD-Rs where I put the 32 tracks in chrono order. It flows better than the released version.

I make it chrono, injecting Live In England '65 where it belonged. Marvelous.

Date: January 8, 2018 11:47

24FPS
ab

I make it chrono, injecting Live In England '65 where it belonged. Marvelous.

Live In England '65 is excellent, but it doesn't belong with the BBC-tracks?

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: January 8, 2018 15:33

On a side note, I'd like to take the opportunity to raise my glass to their BBC live version of "Come On" - the album's opener.
I mean, it's somewhat a trifle of a song in the Stones' backcatalogue; albeit their very first one (debut single), a bit overlooked & patronized even, by us fans. (Just my impression, btw...)

But the way they kick into gear here, and deliver that whole song - it's like a blade hitting you right between the eyes.

Here's to the early Stones! smileys with beer

Still really lovin' this "ON AIR" thingie...

Date: January 8, 2018 16:08

RoughJusticeOnYa
On a side note, I'd like to take the opportunity to raise my glass to their BBC live version of "Come On" - the album's opener.
I mean, it's somewhat a trifle of a song in the Stones' backcatalogue; albeit their very first one (debut single), a bit overlooked & patronized even, by us fans. (Just my impression, btw...)

But the way they kick into gear here, and deliver that whole song - it's like a blade hitting you right between the eyes.

Here's to the early Stones! smileys with beer

Still really lovin' this "ON AIR" thingie...

thumbs up

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: January 8, 2018 19:06

I apologize in advance if this issue has come up somewhere in the 23 pages on this release, but I cruised through pages of posts and did not see anything. Has anyone noticed that 'The Last Time' (track 10 Disc 1) is ****ed up? It repeats and/or skips around 2:40. I checked it against the 'Beat Beat Beat at the Beeb' boot and the boot is fine. Judging from the time counter, my disc is not skipping, so it seems like an error in the production of this release. WTF? Anyone else?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 8, 2018 19:15

floodonthepage

Has anyone noticed that 'The Last Time' (track 10 Disc 1) is ****ed up? It repeats and/or skips around 2:40.

Yes, here (page 14): [iorr.org] , here (page 15): [iorr.org] and here (page 19): [iorr.org] .

Date: January 8, 2018 19:22

Irix
floodonthepage

Has anyone noticed that 'The Last Time' (track 10 Disc 1) is ****ed up? It repeats and/or skips around 2:40.

Yes, here (page 14): [iorr.org] and here (page 15): [iorr.org] .

Thanks Irix! I don't suppose there's any word of corrected discs being offered, akin to the corrected 'I think I'm Going Mad' discs in the '71-'06 Singles Collection'?.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 8, 2018 19:42

floodonthepage
Irix
floodonthepage

Thanks Irix! I don't suppose there's any word of corrected discs being offered, akin to the corrected 'I think I'm Going Mad' discs in the '71-'06 Singles Collection'?.

It's not a digital glitch or a skip, it's a very bad tape splice that's present on BBC broadcasts since the nineties.
All they've done is "cleaned up" the very audible splice rather than removing the repeated line.
Don't expect any corrected discs to be offered!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: January 8, 2018 20:04

Deltics
floodonthepage
Irix
floodonthepage

It's not a digital glitch or a skip, it's a very bad tape splice that's present on BBC broadcasts since the nineties.
All they've done is "cleaned up" the very audible splice rather than removing the repeated line.
Don't expect any corrected discs to be offered!

Ok, shoot. Thanks Deltics. Another reason to keep the boot on hand. thumbs upwinking smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 19, 2018 17:56

Rolling Stones and Wiley compete for Penderyn Music Book Prize

Published January 16, 2018 by Katherine Cowdrey

Books from The Rolling Stones and "Godfather of Grime" Wiley will compete for the Penderyn Music Book Prize 2018.

The longlist, which comprises both Penguin Random House's The Rolling Stones: On Air in the Sixties by Richard Havers & The Rolling Stones (Ebury) and Eskiboy by Wiley (Heinemann), spans memoirs, biographies, histories and theories, and recognises books on a variety of musical genres ranging from skiffle to folk.

(...)

The shortlist will be revealed in early March and the winner announced at The Laugharne Weekend festival on Sunday 8th April 2018.

The judging panel for the prize, sponsored by Welsh whisky company Penderyn, comprises: bass guitarist, singer, poet and composer Jah Wobble, formerly of Public Image Ltd (PiL); writer and broadcaster Laura Barton; percussionist and producer James Sclavunos; broadcaster and author Gemma Cairney; vocalist James Williamson, one half of The Sleaford Mods; and comedian Simon Day, best known for his characters on "The Fast Show".

[www.thebookseller.com]

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 20, 2018 01:06

"On Air" on the charts (as of 19/01/2018)

#8 The Netherlands (8-32-20-32-41-73-out)
#10 Germany (10-19-24-35-44-49-78)
#12 Belgium (Flanders) (12-18-15-23-25-27-34)
#13 Argentina (13-14-out)
#16 Japan (16-37-70-100-out) (12,000 copies sold)
#19 Austria (19-34-34-46-71-72)
#20 Scotland (20-42-58-57-57-66)
#22 Sweden (22-43-out)
#22 Swiss (22-31-46-39-39-45)
#22 Italy (22-51-70-62-out)
#23 Spain (23-43-56-76-out)
#23 Belgium (Wallonia) (32-23-31-47-47-57-73)
#24 Norway (29-24-out)
#27 United Kingdom (27-50-64-78-89-115) (24,700 copies sold)
#30 Wales (30-53-78-76-71-66)
#36 Ireland (36-out)
#36 Portugal (36-out)
#40 Czech Repiblic (40-70-43-out)
#44 New Zealand (44-out)
#47 United States (47-107-183-out) (35,577 copies sold + 3000 stream points = 40,256 sales)
#47 Greece (60-47-72-out)
#54 France (54-74-74-85-127-132) (13,000 copies sold)
#54 Australia (54-97-89-143-out)
#58 Canada (58-82-out)

Also
#3 Croatia (International Albums)
#9 South Korea (International Albums)

World Wide sales (156,000)

61,000 copies sold (Week 01)
30,000 copies sold (Week 02)
25,000 copies sold (Week 03)
20,000 copies sold (Week 04)
12,000 copies sold (Week 05)
8,000 copies sold (Week 06)

Posted by: alfstone ()
Date: January 26, 2018 13:10

Hey there.....listening my yellow vinyl copy. I´ve found on The Last Time, after the guitar solo when Mick is singin´..." last Time baby..."...and one time repeated like not a skip but a pressing failure. I´ve cleaned and found the same. Don´t know if you understand what I mean. Anyone found trouble with this track?
Thanks

Date: January 26, 2018 13:39

alfstone
Hey there.....listening my yellow vinyl copy. I´ve found on The Last Time, after the guitar solo when Mick is singin´..." last Time baby..."...and one time repeated like not a skip but a pressing failure. I´ve cleaned and found the same. Don´t know if you understand what I mean. Anyone found trouble with this track?
Thanks

It's been discussed here. It's a really bad edit.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 26, 2018 13:45

DandelionPowderman
alfstone

I´ve found on The Last Time, after the guitar solo when Mick is singin´..." last Time baby..."...and one time repeated like not a skip but a pressing failure.

It's been discussed here.

Yes, here (page 14): [iorr.org] , here (page 15): [iorr.org] and here (page 19): [iorr.org] .

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 26, 2018 14:00

Irix
DandelionPowderman
alfstone

I´ve found on The Last Time, after the guitar solo when Mick is singin´..." last Time baby..."...and one time repeated like not a skip but a pressing failure.

It's been discussed here.

Also on this page (page 23) just scroll up a bit.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 26, 2018 14:28

Those recordings are great. The young stones were musically tight and that bass, Bill, awesome. They invented "pub rock". Slashing riffs, on the beat, straight up drumming and a charismatic/in your face vocalist doubling on harmonica.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 30, 2018 00:24

Haven't listened to this official release in awhile, but popped in some old BBC boots into my car stereo yesterday. Oddly, the all around sound seems to be better than the On Air versions (which I did like).
Can't pin down exactly why, but could be a case of familiarity with those old boots and/or hearing it all in proper order. Or maybe my car stereo is friendlier to boots vs. the newly polished versions. Anyhow, haven't done a comparison side by side, so could just be my imagination. Will play On Air again in a few days to see.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 3, 2018 15:17

Robert Christgau on a Brilliant Beefheart Trip and Some Early Stones Standouts

The Dean of American Rock Critics reviews Nona Hendryx & Gary Lucas's 'The World of Captain Beefheart' and The Rolling Stones' 'On Air.'

The Rolling Stones: On Air (Deluxe Edition) (Polydor/Abkco/Rolling Stones)

Exploiting the surprise sales spike of their 2016 Christmas album Blue & Lonesome, their 2017 Christmas album purportedly revisits the band's early-'60s blues beginnings, which in fact were no such thing.

Chuck Berry, who wrote six of these songs, was not a blues artist, and neither was Bo Diddley, who gets three including the previously bootleg-only "Cops and Robbers" playlet (theirs is fine, Bo's better).

Billed "R&B" as they started playing out in 1963, the Stones were catchier and quicker than blues, and on these 32 radio transcriptions they sound like the premier bar band of their time if not ever.

Where Blue & Lonesome is a sodden thing—many old rockers have recorded sharper, spunkier, wiser music—this collection proves what world-beaters they were even before they got serious about songwriting.

True, the unperfected "Satisfaction" some hedger stuck in sounds pretty good—how could it not? But "2120 Michigan Avenue," the instrumental they concocted to celebrate recording at Chess, is the closer because it oughta be.

A MINUS

[noisey.vice.com]

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: February 3, 2018 21:52

Cristiano Radtke
Robert Christgau on a Brilliant Beefheart Trip and Some Early Stones Standouts

The Dean of American Rock Critics reviews Nona Hendryx & Gary Lucas's 'The World of Captain Beefheart' and The Rolling Stones' 'On Air.'

The Rolling Stones: On Air (Deluxe Edition) (Polydor/Abkco/Rolling Stones)

Exploiting the surprise sales spike of their 2016 Christmas album Blue & Lonesome, their 2017 Christmas album purportedly revisits the band's early-'60s blues beginnings, which in fact were no such thing.

Chuck Berry, who wrote six of these songs, was not a blues artist, and neither was Bo Diddley, who gets three including the previously bootleg-only "Cops and Robbers" playlet (theirs is fine, Bo's better).

Billed "R&B" as they started playing out in 1963, the Stones were catchier and quicker than blues, and on these 32 radio transcriptions they sound like the premier bar band of their time if not ever.

Where Blue & Lonesome is a sodden thing—many old rockers have recorded sharper, spunkier, wiser music—this collection proves what world-beaters they were even before they got serious about songwriting.

True, the unperfected "Satisfaction" some hedger stuck in sounds pretty good—how could it not? But "2120 Michigan Avenue," the instrumental they concocted to celebrate recording at Chess, is the closer because it oughta be.

A MINUS

..No..I think the Stones "Cops and robbers" version is better than Bo Diddley's ...

[noisey.vice.com]

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 5, 2018 01:21

retired_dog
Monsoon Ragoon
What I finally ordered was the London Calling release. It has far more tracks than the official release for less money. The quality varies from (poor) g-vg soundboard for some tracks to official sound, but the poor recordings are probably not available better and missing on the official counterpart. It also has a nice booklet. I don't think the DAC or Godfather releases are really better.

A good choice.

Clearly a better choice. You get more tracks and in chronological order. Plus, at times I find the London Calling CD's better sounding than the "echo-drowned" official CD.

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: February 13, 2018 19:06

kowalski
retired_dog
Monsoon Ragoon
What I finally ordered was the London Calling release. It has far more tracks than the official release for less money. The quality varies from (poor) g-vg soundboard for some tracks to official sound, but the poor recordings are probably not available better and missing on the official counterpart. It also has a nice booklet. I don't think the DAC or Godfather releases are really better.

A good choice.

Clearly a better choice. You get more tracks and in chronological order. Plus, at times I find the London Calling CD's better sounding than the "echo-drowned" official CD.

I have the London Calling release and I wouldn't rate any of the recordings 'poor'.

It has probably been stated elsewhere but bad edited version of The Last Time is not on this recording. The official edit is appalling. I am an amateur but I could have done a much better job with that edit and I am sure a lot on this board could too.

BBC On Air yellow vinyl double LP
Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: August 17, 2018 23:57

Can someone please direct me to the original thread about this release. I can't find it and the search option doesn't seem to locate it

thanks in advance

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324Next
Current Page: 23 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1394
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home