Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 24
Re: On Air in the Sixties: New Book, CD and LP by The Rolling Stones
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 9, 2017 09:07

LISTEN TO THE ON AIR PODCASTS

Tune in to the fascinating story of The Rolling Stones ‘On Air’ via three very special podcasts, hosted by Matt Everitt.

Each podcast documents a specific year in the band’s rise to stardom in the 1960’s. Featuring exclusive interviews with Mick and Keith, plus music from the On Air album, which is out now – get comfy and let us take you back in time…

LISTEN NOW: [www.rollingstones.com]

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 9, 2017 15:51

exilestones

"Fanny Mae": "I like this version more than the better known Chess outtake,...

Where is this "better known Chess outtake" of Fanny Mae? Did I miss something in nearly 50 years of collecting?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-09 15:53 by retired_dog.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 9, 2017 16:48

The complete Joe Loss Pop Show 10.04.1964 with the complete "High Heel Sneakers":

[www.youtube.com]

High Healed Sneakers, 2m 40s as opposed to 1m 56s on "On Air":

[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-09 21:01 by Deltics.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 10, 2017 08:09

retired_dog
exilestones

Where is this "better known Chess outtake" of Fanny Mae? Did I miss something in nearly 50 years of collecting?

There is no Fanny Mae outtake among "normal" collectors of course.

Date: December 10, 2017 12:43

Monsoon Ragoon
retired_dog
exilestones

Outtake, as in not released on Out Of Our Heads. He writes about the well-known Chess-version of Fanny Mae.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 10, 2017 13:23

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
retired_dog
exilestones

Outtake, as in not released on Out Of Our Heads. He writes about the well-known Chess-version of Fanny Mae.

All of the Chess boots that I've got have used the BBC recording as a substitute.
Zentgraf has it listed as "Unverified".

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: December 10, 2017 13:56

Deltics
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
retired_dog
exilestones

All of the Chess boots that I've got have used the BBC recording as a substitute.
Zentgraf has it listed as "Unverified".

Yes, that's why I thought that this "better known" = "more widely available" remark was a bit hilarious. A Chess outtake of Fanny Mae may exist or not, but even if that's the case, it's surely not "better known" than the BBC recording.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 11, 2017 01:18

My WWI Sympathy 4&5's that I've had for years will do.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 11, 2017 02:03

Martin Elliott ..... THE ROLLING STONES -- Complete Recordings 1962-2012

ROCKMAN

Stones podcast On The Air talking about new album
Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: December 9, 2017 11:08

Stones podcastThis is a very amusing and quite interesting three part podcast, with at the end of some nice stuff but Mick and Keith about the new album.

Re: Stones podcast On The Air talking about new album
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 9, 2017 12:19

guyrachel
Stones podcastThis is a very amusing and quite interesting three part podcast, with at the end of some nice stuff but Mick and Keith about the new album.

Thanks for the info. great to hear them talk about the NEW abum (still a lot to do) and New Tour. (end of Podcast 3).

Jeroen

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 11, 2017 13:51

Well I just listened to On Air over the weekend and I was very impressed .My oh My the Rolling Stones are a proper 12 bar Blues Band in all of there splendid glory .I found the quality of the recording over all good except for It's All Over Now .A very fun CD to listen to and enjoy the very early beginning of the Rolling Stones .Probably my favorite tracks were the Chuck Berry Hits esp. Around and Around with Keith's trademark Chuck Berry Licks which most certainly did not disappoint this listener .

Date: December 11, 2017 14:56

Dozens of "experts" here, but I still have no answer which bootleg 2cd set is the best. Usually it's DAC. I won't buy the official remix-demix album which seems to be as bad as expected and incomplete anyway. But I think I will order the book.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-11 15:00 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: December 11, 2017 15:03

Monsoon Ragoon
Dozens of "experts" here, but I still have no answer which bootleg 2cd set is the best. Usually it's DAC. I won't buy the official remix-demix album which seems to be as bad as expected and incomplete anyway. But I think I will order the book.

These songs are spread on various bootlegs. Some of them may have better-sounding songs than others, so your question is impossible to answer.

However, the recent «complete» semi-legit release didn't sound too bad, imo.

Date: December 11, 2017 15:14

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon

These songs are spread on various bootlegs. Some of them may have better-sounding songs than others, so your question is impossible to answer.

That's not the case. Nearly all circulating BBC (not TV) tracks are collected on the 1995 2cd set, on DAC-130, on We Got A Good Thing Going (Godfather), the "recent semi-legit release" (I know what you mean) and probably 1-2 more comparable releases. That's difficult to compare of course, but maybe somebody did. I mean we have folks here who watch 5-6 bad audience videos of the same show... nothing is impossible.

Date: December 11, 2017 15:22

Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon

That's not the case. Nearly all circulating BBC (not TV) tracks are collected on the 1995 2cd set, on DAC-130, on We Got A Good Thing Going (Godfather), the "recent semi-legit release" (I know what you mean) and probably 1-2 more comparable releases. That's difficult to compare of course, but maybe somebody did. I mean we have folks here who watch 5-6 bad audience videos of the same show... nothing is impossible.

Yeah, I get that you want a compilation, and the with the best possible sound.

Then again, these recording are also scattered all over different releases. It's hard to have complete control over the lowest generation tapes the different versions stem from.

That's the problem..

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 11, 2017 15:24

I'm very pleased with this one:

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 11, 2017 18:35

This one is currently most complete and best sound overall (in my opinion).

[www.hotwacks.com]

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: December 11, 2017 18:47

ash
This one is currently most complete and best sound overall (in my opinion).

[www.hotwacks.com]

Agree. The best. Great mastering too.

Date: December 11, 2017 20:57

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon

Then again, these recording are also scattered all over different releases. It's hard to have complete control over the lowest generation tapes the different versions stem from.

That's the problem..

That's the problem indeed. There is no such thing as the "best compilation" that uses the best possible source of each and every track. Some newer ones are pretty good, like the latest DAC or Godfather (both seem to derive from the same torrent of a fan-made BBC compilation), then you find that the odd track here and there sounds much better on an almost forgotten bootleg CD from 30 years ago that also includes a lot of shit in nowadays terms, and therefore may have escaped the attention of "modern" compilers in general. And there you go! The recent "complete" grey market triple CD caught my attention because it seems to be pretty good in general, but I have still a lot of tracks to compare in more detail. For example, it *seems* to have the best & most natural sounding version of "Ain't That Loving You Baby" which I like much better than the heavily processed-sounding "On Air"-release. Then again, the Ass Blaster version also sounds very nice, but starts "cold" with Mick's vocals, thereby missing the instrumental fade-in. It's difficult!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-11 21:23 by retired_dog.

Keith reflects on "On Air"
Posted by: GAFF ()
Date: December 11, 2017 20:03

Keith Richards reflects on the Rolling Stones' BBC recordings, complete with threats of decapitation
By RANDY LEWIS Los Angeles Times

For all the outward swagger the Rolling Stones projected, there were certain situations that could intimidate even England's bad boys of rock 'n' roll.
Near the top of the list: performing before a TV or radio audience of millions of listeners, such as when the BBC extended an invite to appear on one of its many music programs of the mid-1960s.
"At the time we were doing this, we were, like, 'Oh, my God – the BBC!'" Stones songwriter and guitarist Keith Richards, 73, said recently from his home in Connecticut, where he'd just returned after having wrapped a tour of Europe with bandmates Mick Jagger, drummer Charlie Watts, lead guitarist Ron Wood and bassist Darryl Jones.
That period is captured in "On Air," a new two-CD, 32-track set and featuring recordings live and in the studio that the Stones made from 1963 to 1965.
"We were just trying to disguise our actual terror," Richards said with that signature hearty pirate laugh. "There was a lot of adrenaline."

The nerves, however, didn't last long.
"Once you got out there – that's the thing about the Rolling Stones," he said, sounding one step removed from the group he's been part of for 55 years. "Once we started playing, we didn't give a (damn). They still don't – bless their hearts. We just got off the road, and I wish there were a few more shows. We were just hitting a groove!"

The Stones' hard-hitting groove is front and center in many of the "On Air" tracks. The set includes such cornerstone original songs from its early years as "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction," "The Last Time," "It's All Over Now" and "The Spider and the Fly," as well as blues and R&B chestnuts that had been important parts of the band's repertoire before the Jagger-Richards songwriting team fully kicked into gear.
In those days, the BBC refused to play studio recordings by musicians that were spotlighted on various programs. Instead, the British government-run broadcast service insisted that artists record different versions for TV and radio, or perform them live. By contrast, many music shows in the U.S. often got by on the cheap by having performers lip-sync to their records.

The upshot is that the BBC created a trove of alternate studio and live versions of some of the biggest hits of the '60s, including renditions of some songs groups never otherwise committed to vinyl in the day.
"On Air" provides a counterpart to two volumes of similar, already released BBC recordings the Beatles made during the same period. Along with the original material chosen for "On Air," we hear the Stones' take on Chuck Berry's "Roll Over Beethoven" – one of the few times listeners can compare songs recorded by the Beatles and the Stones.

"The BBC wanted us and we didn't know really why or what we were doing," Richards said. "We were playing blues in bars, for Christ's sake, but then we got a top 10 record and suddenly we're the other alternative to the Beatles, bless their hearts," he said. "Yeah, I mean, they broke the doors down, especially Johnny. We always got along."

The set also features spirited versions of Berry's "Memphis Tennessee" and "Carol," Tommy Tucker's "Hi-Heel Sneakers," Buster Brown's "Fannie Mae," Hank Snow by way of Ray Charles' "I'm Moving On," Bo Diddley's "Cops and Robbers," Jay McShann's "Confessin' the Blues," Rufus Thomas' "Walkin' the Dog" and Willie Dixon's "I Just Want to Make Love to You," best known via Muddy Waters' recording.
"When I hear it, I hear a lot of energy and enthusiasm – and then I want to go in and remix it," Richards said, laughing again. "But there was no remixing done then."

One eye-opener for the young musicians was the peek they got behind the curtain.
"You think – you believe, the way you're brought up in London – that the BBC know what they're doing," he said. "Then you get there and find out they have no idea how to record a band like this.
"The first thing I remember about my encounter with the BBC was there was this guy: Microphone Control Man. He had a huge mustache, like an officer in the RAF (Royal Air Force), one of them ginger jobs. He told me, 'If you touch that microphone, I'll decapitate you.' I didn't know what I would do with it anyway, but he had no more idea what to do with it than we did."

Nevertheless, while the quality of the "On Air" recordings varies considerably, and some are monaural while others are stereo, many sound remarkably crisp, clean and potent. Some of that is attributed to an "audio source separation" process that Abbey Road Studio engineers used to bring more fidelity out of the original BBC tapes.
"On those shows," he said, "you had no idea what the microphones were picking up and what was actually coming out of the radio. You just winged it and hoped for the best. Listening to it now, I think they captured the spirit of it all. I could argue about whether Brian was too loud or not, but apart from (stuff) like that, I think it's a fascinating record as a piece."
Yet, Richards said, "For me it's hard to imagine people want to listen to BBC live recordings of the Stones from 1964 or '5 or '3 or whatever it was," he said. "What I can say is I'm amazed there is so much interest in it. And that you people in America know more about it than we do."

Indeed, "On Air" constitutes something of a companion piece, or a bookend, to last year's "Blue & Lonesome" album, the Stones' homage to vintage American blues, R&B and soul music that collected a Grammy Award nomination for traditional blues album.
"I'm really happy with the last album, the blues album," he said. "It was one of the things we felt we had to do, but it worked out really great."
Does that mean we might see a sequel one day soon?
"We're working on some new (material) now," he said. "There's a new album in the works. We're slowly putting it together."
As for another modern-day collection of their favorite old blues numbers, Richards uttered another lascivious laugh and said, "I'm going to sound like Trump now: 'Trust me. We're working on it.'"

Re: Keith reflects on "On Air"
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 11, 2017 23:02

Thanks Gaff! I have a hard time listening to podcasts, and was hoping for a transcript to read thumbs up

Date: December 12, 2017 07:59

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon

That's the problem..

That's the problem indeed. There is no such thing as the "best compilation" that uses the best possible source of each and every track. Some newer ones are pretty good, like the latest DAC or Godfather (both seem to derive from the same torrent of a fan-made BBC compilation), then you find that the odd track here and there sounds much better on an almost forgotten bootleg CD from 30 years ago that also includes a lot of shit in nowadays terms, and therefore may have escaped the attention of "modern" compilers in general. And there you go! The recent "complete" grey market triple CD caught my attention because it seems to be pretty good in general, but I have still a lot of tracks to compare in more detail. For example, it *seems* to have the best & most natural sounding version of "Ain't That Loving You Baby" which I like much better than the heavily processed-sounding "On Air"-release. Then again, the Ass Blaster version also sounds very nice, but starts "cold" with Mick's vocals, thereby missing the instrumental fade-in. It's difficult!

Interesting read. Seems we gotta wait for the "real definitive" 3 or 4CD set (radio only) by maybe Goldplate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-12 08:48 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: December 12, 2017 12:50

My review here (it's a double header with the new Yardbirds set, also recommended)

[onlyrockandroll.london]

Date: December 12, 2017 13:57

Nice review! thumbs up

Date: December 12, 2017 14:57

Felix Aeppli has pointed out that I Just Want To Make Love To You on this set is not from Saturday Club but the recording from The Joe Loss Show as the presence of screamers confirms.
I make that 4 mislabelled tracks so far - I Just Want To Make Love To You / Walking The Dog / Hi Heel Sneakers and Ain't That Loving You Baby.
That's a bit crap.
I said hey, hey hey hey hey moaner.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 13, 2017 01:08

"On Air" debuts on the charts (as of 12/12/2017)

#8 The Netherlands
#10 Germany
#12 Belgium (Flanders)
#16 Japan (5,217 copies sold)
#20 Scotland
#22 Sweden
#22 Italy
#27 United Kingdom (9,603 copies sold)
#29 Norway
#30 Wales
#32 Belgium (Wallonia)
#36 Ireland
#44 New Zealand
#47 United States (13,763 copies sold + 963 stream points = 14,726 sales)
#54 France (4,000 copies sold)
#54 Australia
#58 Canada

Date: December 13, 2017 01:23

georgelicks
"On Air" debuts on the charts (as of 12/12/2017)

#8 The Netherlands
#10 Germany
#12 Belgium (Flanders)
#16 Japan (5,217 copies sold)
#20 Scotland
#22 Sweden
#22 Italy
#27 United Kingdom (9,603 copies sold)
#29 Norway
#30 Wales
#32 Belgium (Wallonia)
#36 Ireland
#44 New Zealand
#47 United States (13,763 copies sold + 963 stream points = 14,726 sales)
#54 France (4,000 copies sold)
#54 Australia
#58 Canada

Thanks for that. Very interesting.
For a bunch of recordings over 50 years old that's pretty decent in terms of chart placings in my opinion. Maybe not so much in terms of sales. Does that include downloads or just physical copies ? I get the impression that the kind of people who buy physical copies are the kind of people who moan about dates being wrong or poor tapes being used. People like me. However, I can well imagine that sets like these will continue to sell to some degree in the long term too which should not be forgotten.
Kind of surprising that 9600 gets you in the top 30 though and that's a very low sales figure for the USA isn't it ? Is that standard these days ? I really have no idea.

Date: December 13, 2017 01:36

"On Air" on Billboard
(Issue Date: December 23, 2017)

#47 The Billboard 200
[www.billboard.com]

#18 Top Album Sales
[www.billboard.com]

#4 Top Rock Albums
[www.billboard.com]

#3 Tastemaker Albums
[www.billboard.com]

#14 Top Current Albums

#2 Rock Album Sales

Also, Blue and Lonesome is #2 on this week's Billboard Blues Albums chart after a full year on the chart.
[www.billboard.com]

Date: December 13, 2017 02:00

ash
Thanks for that. Very interesting.
For a bunch of recordings over 50 years old that's pretty decent in terms of chart placings in my opinion. Maybe not so much in terms of sales. Does that include downloads or just physical copies ? I get the impression that the kind of people who buy physical copies are the kind of people who moan about dates being wrong or poor tapes being used. People like me. However, I can well imagine that sets like these will continue to sell to some degree in the long term too which should not be forgotten.
Kind of surprising that 9600 gets you in the top 30 though and that's a very low sales figure for the USA isn't it ? Is that standard these days ? I really have no idea.

The album was released 10-15 years too late at least:
1- The recordings are too old now
2- The bootlegs are all over there
3- Album sales are down 70% since 2005

Nowadays, all the charts are including sales + downloads + streaming points (1,500 plays of a song = 1 sale) just to boost dying album sales numbers.

In the US, On Air has sold 13,763 physical/digital copies (#18 on the sales chart) and 963 stream points, that's about 1,445,000 streams for all the 32 songs on the album (1,445,000 / 1500 = 963 points), including streams the album debuted at #47 on the Billboard 200, as we see the album chart is heavy on streams nowadays.

Sales are on the same level than any old act, all these old collections are selling about the same, 10-15k in the USA on the first week for any act (Dylan, Neil Young, Macca, Greateful Dead), the people buying this albums are the same.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1979
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home