Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 24
Re: On Air in the Sixties: New Book, CD and LP by The Rolling Stones
Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: December 5, 2017 14:18

I will listen to the bootlegs cds I have for now and get my rocks of with them and they sound good to me.I thought DVD was coming out with ON AIR IN THE 60S, well will have to wait.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 5, 2017 15:53

Perhaps already discussed here (or elsewhere) but just saw a tweet from Mick plugging an "Official Podcast" coming soon.. for this?
[twitter.com]

Have been deliberately avoiding the discussions on this as I will be receiving copy on X-mas and prefer to listen first, but a podcast sounds interesting.. Not very familiar, but to me it would imply some "live discussion" (??)

Probably not though, as I really have never listened to a podcast cool smiley
Likely just the discs being played I suppose (?)

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 5, 2017 16:40

MisterDDDD
Perhaps already discussed here (or elsewhere) but just saw a tweet from Mick plugging an "Official Podcast" coming soon.. for this?
[twitter.com]

Have been deliberately avoiding the discussions on this as I will be receiving copy on X-mas and prefer to listen first, but a podcast sounds interesting.. Not very familiar, but to me it would imply some "live discussion" (??)

I think it’s a Spotify thing, which I am not a member. Believe ‘they’ are playing the entire release, and Spotify people can log on and make comments together. The Stones part prerecorded.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 5, 2017 19:38

35love
MisterDDDD
[twitter.com]

I think it’s a Spotify thing, which I am not a member. Believe ‘they’ are playing the entire release, and Spotify people can log on and make comments together. The Stones part prerecorded.

[itunes.apple.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: December 5, 2017 20:43

Thanks Deltics
It looks like there are 3 Podcasts (maybe more)
on Rolling Stones . com website available to listen,
I’m in a remote WiFi area now
but looks great for later
Thanks

Date: December 5, 2017 21:12

So I go to take a hike,
thinking I should listen to
‘Come On’ release
there are songs I don’t know
I don’t feel like hearing young happy hormones I think to myself
weary of caring for kids and the tax man keeps coming on...
First tune that comes up is
“Crackin’ Up”
and here is Mick Jagger singing the housewife creed:

You're always hollerin' 'bout where I've been
You're always screamin' 'bout the money I spend
What's wrong with you, oh yeah
You're crackin' up

I caught you, woman, a long time ago
Keep your hand out of my pocket keep your foot out my door
You're crackin' up

I used to do your cookin', your laundry too
Now what more for a woman could a man like me do
I feel, oh yeah
You're bugging me

Oh, crackin' up

Oh yeah
Crackin' up, crackin' up again

It made me laugh. Listened to it 3-4 times, said forget it I’m turning back for coffee and to look up this song.
THEN, I find it’s on ‘Love You Live’ 1977?
Oh I am crackin’ up. In the head. Off for coffee I don’t need.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-05 22:48 by 35love.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 5, 2017 22:03

Love You Live ..... and ta think they were gonna
release an album in the early 70's titled Necrophilia .....

but but 35 like where ya been babeeeeeeee ???? Crackin Up ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: December 6, 2017 03:20

retired_dog
corriecas
Monsoon Ragoon
LeonidP
Monsoon Ragoon
Is the official album really necessary? ...

No, nothing is really "necessary".

Monsoon Ragoon
... What I read somewhere far doesn't sound very promising...

Okay ... so don't buy it.

I don't need such idiotic comments, please.

maybe you need to adjust your negative comments Monsoon..
Jeroen

Why should he do so? It's his opinion, and as such it is every bit as valid as positive "happy" comments from others. The fact that some people can't live with the fact that there are different opinions is their problem, not his.

It all depends from where you come from. I for one love the music on On Air, always did, and I'ven listened to stuff like Cops And Robbers and Roll Over Beethoven quite regularly, not just "the last time 25 years ago" like some. For some of the lesser sounding BBC tracks there was always hope on my side that better quality versions may exist somewhere, in the BBC's or band's offficial or band members private vaults, so I have always dreamt about some serious sound upgrades once the BBC material would get an official release. On Air finally destroyed my hopes, so yes, in a way, I'm a bit disappointed that for this official release, they had to rely heavily on the circulating bootlegs. And not always on the best ones, as I have mentioned earlier in this thread with the Beautiful Delilah example where the tape glitch at the very start could have been easily repaired. If the bootleggers could do it on later releases, there's no reason the Stones could not do it for an official release. And there's more: The (tape? mastering?) defect at 2:46 in The Last Time for example. Just minor details? OK, then I'll spoil the fun no further.

Where is the quality control these days? Supposedly there is an error on the new Yardbirds 68 release as well as the screw up with the Status Quo Live At The N.E.C. 2 cd deluxe edition. Doesn't anyone check these?

Date: December 6, 2017 09:53

35love
So I go to take a hike,
thinking I should listen to
‘Come On’ release
there are songs I don’t know
I don’t feel like hearing young happy hormones I think to myself
weary of caring for kids and the tax man keeps coming on...
First tune that comes up is
“Crackin’ Up”
and here is Mick Jagger singing the housewife creed:

You're always hollerin' 'bout where I've been
You're always screamin' 'bout the money I spend
You're crackin' up

I caught you, woman, a long time ago
Keep your hand out of my pocket keep your foot out my door
You're crackin' up

I used to do your cookin', your laundry too
Now what more for a woman could a man like me do
I feel, oh yeah
You're bugging me

Oh, crackin' up

Oh yeah
Crackin' up, crackin' up again

It made me laugh. Listened to it 3-4 times, said forget it I’m turning back for coffee and to look up this song.
THEN, I find it’s on ‘Love You Live’ 1977?
Oh I am crackin’ up. In the head. Off for coffee I don’t need.

Can you transcribe what Keith is singing, too? grinning smiley

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 6, 2017 10:18

boogaloojef
retired_dog
corriecas
Monsoon Ragoon
LeonidP
Monsoon Ragoon

Monsoon Ragoon

Jeroen

Why should he do so? It's his opinion, and as such it is every bit as valid as positive "happy" comments from others. The fact that some people can't live with the fact that there are different opinions is their problem, not his.

It all depends from where you come from. I for one love the music on On Air, always did, and I'ven listened to stuff like Cops And Robbers and Roll Over Beethoven quite regularly, not just "the last time 25 years ago" like some. For some of the lesser sounding BBC tracks there was always hope on my side that better quality versions may exist somewhere, in the BBC's or band's offficial or band members private vaults, so I have always dreamt about some serious sound upgrades once the BBC material would get an official release. On Air finally destroyed my hopes, so yes, in a way, I'm a bit disappointed that for this official release, they had to rely heavily on the circulating bootlegs. And not always on the best ones, as I have mentioned earlier in this thread with the Beautiful Delilah example where the tape glitch at the very start could have been easily repaired. If the bootleggers could do it on later releases, there's no reason the Stones could not do it for an official release. And there's more: The (tape? mastering?) defect at 2:46 in The Last Time for example. Just minor details? OK, then I'll spoil the fun no further.

Where is the quality control these days? Supposedly there is an error on the new Yardbirds 68 release as well as the screw up with the Status Quo Live At The N.E.C. 2 cd deluxe edition. Doesn't anyone check these?

Yes, where is it - the quality control. In a perfect world, every artist or band member receives a test pressing, nowadays a CD-R or whatever else, of the content after everything (mixing, mastering etc.) is done, in short words: the final product before it's going to any pressing plants for mass production. That is last opportunity to closely listen and detect any mistakes that have escaped the attention of all the people in the production process so far.

A serious artist (= interested in the product that's going to be released under his name) will do just that: Listen, check, give his ok - or not, and orders any mistakes to be corrected. Then check again. Common practice - nothing unusual.

A serious artist would no relegate this task to any employees or whoever. I mean, who else than a band member who was actually involved in the orginal recording (as long as the actual artist is still alive) should decide if the little thingy in The Last Time happened intentionally or is simply a production error?

For a BBC recordings release "how it should be done" from roughly the same time frame I strongly recommend Repertoires 2015 double CD "The Yardbirds - Live At The BBC". 2 CD's worth of excellent & natural-sounding material, compiled chronologically, short interviews included, great and informative booklet, great period images and what else.

Date: December 6, 2017 10:24

boogaloojef
retired_dog
corriecas
Monsoon Ragoon
LeonidP
Monsoon Ragoon

Monsoon Ragoon

Jeroen

The Quo-screw up is so amateurish that I can hardly believe it.

A fan does a tape recording. When he turns the tape during Roadhouse Blues, quite a few seconds are missing.

Fast forward from 1984 to today: Status Quo/BBC have the show in their vaults. After all, it was released on DVD without the screw up a few years back, and with excellent sound. What did they do? They used the fan recording as the source for this iconic concert's deluxe treatment.

Unfathomable!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-06 10:24 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: December 6, 2017 10:30

retired_dog
boogaloojef
retired_dog
corriecas
Monsoon Ragoon
LeonidP
Monsoon Ragoon

Monsoon Ragoon

Jeroen

Yes, where is it - the quality control. In a perfect world, every artist or band member receives a test pressing, nowadays a CD-R or whatever else, of the content after everything (mixing, mastering etc.) is done, in short words: the final product before it's going to any pressing plants for mass production. That is last opportunity to closely listen and detect any mistakes that have escaped the attention of all the people in the production process so far.

A serious artist (= interested in the product that's going to be released under his name) will do just that: Listen, check, give his ok - or not, and orders any mistakes to be corrected. Then check again. Common practice - nothing unusual.

A serious artist would no relegate this task to any employees or whoever. I mean, who else than a band member who was actually involved in the orginal recording (as long as the actual artist is still alive) should decide if the little thingy in The Last Time happened intentionally or is simply a production error?

For a BBC recordings release "how it should be done" from roughly the same time frame I strongly recommend Repertoires 2015 double CD "The Yardbirds - Live At The BBC". 2 CD's worth of excellent & natural-sounding material, compiled chronologically, short interviews included, great and informative booklet, great period images and what else.

Yeah, one might wonder if they care anymore. Although the story about Mick refusing Clearmountain's «clean» version of Sticky Fingers Live is fascinating.

Mick clearly wanted something extra out of that show, at least sound-wise.

Date: December 6, 2017 13:40

retired_dog
boogaloojef
retired_dog
corriecas
Monsoon Ragoon
LeonidP
Monsoon Ragoon

Monsoon Ragoon

Jeroen

However, even the Repertoire Yardbirds released set was reissued after they found better sources for some of the tracks and 3 additional songs not included on the first release.

They have also released the Pretty Things BBC sessions twice and since the last 4 cd release, even more additional performances were located that were not included on the last release but at least there weren't song glitches or dropouts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-06 13:59 by boogaloojef.

Date: December 6, 2017 14:32

boogaloojef
retired_dog
boogaloojef
retired_dog
corriecas
Monsoon Ragoon
LeonidP
Monsoon Ragoon

Monsoon Ragoon

Jeroen

However, even the Repertoire Yardbirds released set was reissued after they found better sources for some of the tracks and 3 additional songs not included on the first release.

They have also released the Pretty Things BBC sessions twice and since the last 4 cd release, even more additional performances were located that were not included on the last release but at least there weren't song glitches or dropouts.

Of course this happens, but "doing your best to come up with the best possible product" is always related to a certain time frame. You put product out and in the time after its release you are contacted by a fan telling you that he has discovered a box of tape reels in the estate of his grandpa who worked for the BBC in the 60's - tape reels of some of your BBC sessions that were meant to be erased, but taken by your grandpa to a safe place at home, original tapes of sessions that that were either thought to be lost entirely or only available as poor off air amateur recordings - there you have it. Better quality recordings that were not avilable when the original release went into production.

The Stones On Air story is a bit different imo. No thorough research, lack of attention to detail, lack of quality control.

Date: December 6, 2017 16:41

retired_dog
boogaloojef
retired_dog
boogaloojef
retired_dog
corriecas
Monsoon Ragoon
LeonidP
Monsoon Ragoon

Monsoon Ragoon

Jeroen

Of course this happens, but "doing your best to come up with the best possible product" is always related to a certain time frame. You put product out and in the time after its release you are contacted by a fan telling you that he has discovered a box of tape reels in the estate of his grandpa who worked for the BBC in the 60's - tape reels of some of your BBC sessions that were meant to be erased, but taken by your grandpa to a safe place at home, original tapes of sessions that that were either thought to be lost entirely or only available as poor off air amateur recordings - there you have it. Better quality recordings that were not avilable when the original release went into production.

The Stones On Air story is a bit different imo. No thorough research, lack of attention to detail, lack of quality control.

Anybody got the vinyl edition with the yellow cover?
Look closely at Bill's head.
Quality control? What quality control?

Date: December 6, 2017 16:56

grinning smiley

Date: December 6, 2017 19:38

Unbelievable!

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 6, 2017 19:39

Alexander has just pointed out to me that Walking The Dog appears to be from the April 1964 Saturday Club rather than the February 1964 Saturday Club.
Good spot there. The Feb version has the lead guitar line an octave higher which is a useful identifier.
Anyone else able to confirm or deny please ? I think he's right.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 6, 2017 19:50

Deltics

Anybody got the vinyl edition with the yellow cover?
Look closely at Bill's head.
Quality control? What quality control?

grinning smiley

[www.instagram.com]

Date: December 6, 2017 19:52

At least it didn't say «back»...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 6, 2017 19:58

Piss yellow cover without any attention to detail...but as someone mentioned at least Bill wasn't photoshopped out! thumbs up

Date: December 6, 2017 20:07

retired_dog
boogaloojef
retired_dog
boogaloojef
retired_dog
corriecas
Monsoon Ragoon
LeonidP
Monsoon Ragoon

Monsoon Ragoon

Jeroen

However, the Yardbirds piece was issued again on cd within just a few months of the original release with the exact same cover shot but in a slightly different color. Unless you have access to actual track listing, you do not know the difference unless you aware of which version has which color. One is gray and other is sort of a blue/gray color.

Date: December 6, 2017 20:23

ash
Alexander has just pointed out to me that Walking The Dog appears to be from the April 1964 Saturday Club rather than the February 1964 Saturday Club.
Good spot there. The Feb version has the lead guitar line an octave higher which is a useful identifier.

Yes, it's the April version.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: December 6, 2017 20:49

ash

Ash I agree with the mislabel on Walking the Dog. Beat Beat Beat at the Beeb identifies the track in question as April 18. The Feb 08 rendition has a different guitar solo for sure so the On Air folks got that one wrong. Good call Alexander and Ash!

I sat and listened to all 4 sides of the vinyl release in a row yesterday. In many cases imo On Air offers better fidelity than my CD copy of Beat Beat Beat at the Beeb. As I said before the bottom sound is really good on many of these recordings. Certain tracks to my ears sound improved such as Come On, Satisfaction Spider and the Fly, Cops and Robbers, Route 66, Mercy, Mercy, Oh Baby, you Better Move On Mona, EveryBody Needs Someone To Love, Just Can't Be Satisfied, 2120 S Michigan Ave. Tracks I didn't mention have sort of a Dolby filtered type muffled sound that certainly differ from the songs I listed above. Pity that a song well performed like If You Need Me wasn't in those better quality recordings.

While I can't compare the sound on the cd's, I am pleased with the vinyl I bought. These records can be played loud and hold up well on most tracks.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: December 6, 2017 20:55

Deltics
ash

Yes, it's the April version.
Are we there yet?
Anyway, there still is a room. They did not reach the number of goofs as in the booklet of Rarities 1971-2003.

Posted by: Rosto ()
Date: December 6, 2017 21:02

If only it would read "back" instead of "front" it could mean Bill was back in the band again...

Let it rock!

Date: December 6, 2017 21:41

Ronnie: See! I told you someone would notice that glitch in "The Last Time" and even I knew that "Walking The Dog" was from April and I'm not even on it!
Mick: Bloody trainspotters!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 6, 2017 22:39

worts and all its still a great package ta have and to hear over again ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: December 6, 2017 22:47

DandelionPowderman

Yeah, one might wonder if they care anymore. Although the story about Mick refusing Clearmountain's «clean» version of Sticky Fingers Live is fascinating.

Mick clearly wanted something extra out of that show, at least sound-wise.

I guess it's because as we all know Mick has almost no interest in the past. The Sticky Fingers show was a new project, and he no doubt enjoyed performing in front of an audience full of young attractive women. He's just not going to put any time or effort of his own into the release of old stuff. It's primarily of interest to old, die-hard fans, who are, let's face it, the people who depress him when he sees them in the audience.

Date: December 6, 2017 22:53

Rosto
If only it would read "back" instead of "front" it could mean Bill was back in the band again...

But it could also mean "Wyman to the front!" what would indeed indicate that he's back or at least seriously considering a return...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1899
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home