Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 24
Re: On Air in the Sixties: New Book, CD and LP by The Rolling Stones
Date: December 4, 2017 10:35

Monsoon Ragoon
They played nearly the entire albums in those days. Today they play three album tracks that all sound the same...

Yep, for the hearing impaired:

Can't Be Seen
Mixed Emotions
Rock And A Hard Place

The Worst
You Got Me Rocking
Love Is Strong

Flip The Switch
Anybody Seen My Baby
Thief In The Night

Streets Of Love
Rough Justice
Infamy

Just Your Fool
Ride 'Em On Down
Hate To See You Go

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 4, 2017 10:46

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
They played nearly the entire albums in those days. Today they play three album tracks that all sound the same...

Can't Be Seen
Mixed Emotions
Rock And A Hard Place

The Worst
You Got Me Rocking
Love Is Strong

Flip The Switch
Anybody Seen My Baby
Thief In The Night

Streets Of Love
Rough Justice
Infamy

Just Your Fool
Ride 'Em On Down
Hate To See You Go

I meant just the B&L tracks. That's three times 90% the same - like the setlist in general ;-)

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: December 4, 2017 10:49

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon

Can't Be Seen
Mixed Emotions
Rock And A Hard Place

The Worst
You Got Me Rocking
Love Is Strong

Flip The Switch
Anybody Seen My Baby
Thief In The Night

Streets Of Love
Rough Justice
Infamy

Just Your Fool
Ride 'Em On Down
Hate To See You Go

grinning smiley

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: December 4, 2017 10:52

Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon

Can't Be Seen
Mixed Emotions
Rock And A Hard Place

The Worst
You Got Me Rocking
Love Is Strong

Flip The Switch
Anybody Seen My Baby
Thief In The Night

Streets Of Love
Rough Justice
Infamy

Just Your Fool
Ride 'Em On Down
Hate To See You Go

I meant just the B&L tracks. That's three times 90% the same - like the setlist in general ;-)

Dude, it’s all ‘50s Chicago Blues - a ‘genre’, OK.
Obviously they sound similar.
That, plus given the fact that the more obscure (sounding) tracks rarely work in a +50.000 crowd of mostly non-aficionados as far as traditional blues tracks/ deep-cuts are concerned...

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 4, 2017 12:11

Watched Rufus Thomas singing Walking the dog, which is a great version. But my main thought:
what a brilliant idea from our favourite band to play this horn-heavy Stax tune with
only these guitars, bass and drums (and handclaps). Not even an organ was involved.
That way they made the song completely their own.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: December 4, 2017 12:36

From the 1st album they seem to have played live or on radio everything except Honest I Do and Can I Get A Witness/Now I've Got A Witness, although partly only once.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 4, 2017 13:41

I just ordered the CD yesterday and this morning listened to 30 second samples of each track and I just LOVE IT so much .So raw and primitive in all it splendid glory .Wow if I could time travel to the early sixties I would do it in a heartbeat to be their from the beginning and incorporation of the birth of the Rolling Stones .Such a wonderful sound to me .Can't wait for this one to come home to me so I can blast it from the big speakers hot smiley

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: December 4, 2017 15:57

I played Beat, Beat, Beat at the Beeb CD's against the the newly released On Air vinyl copy through my main sound system at volume. On Air imo is a cleaner audio experience with a much better defined/fat bottom sound than the Beat Beat Beat at the Beeb cd offers. Top end on the bootleg also breaks off at higher volume than the vinyl which can be played louder. It is noteworthy though that many of these songs that were recorded didn't get much sonic improvement from latest release. Could they have done a better job with On Air re-mix? Probably so, which will cause many audiophile Stones fans to be aggravated and disappointed knowing the project could have/should have been done with more attention to audio improvement. On Air chronology is all over the place. How hard would it have been to at least make it an accurate time progression of those recordings?

In the end I really like this On Air release, and feel it was very much worth the small investment for the records. I haven't heard the On Air cd's , but the vinyl plays great. One can only hope they release the full body of those Stones BBC recordings. It's this raw older version of the Stones with Brian and Stu in the studio, in concert that for me is very exciting to re-visit. I can only hope that On Air gets decent enough sales to entice the band into further vault releases.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 4, 2017 16:11

filstan
I played Beat, Beat, Beat at the Beeb CD's against the the newly released On Air vinyl copy through my main sound system at volume. On Air imo is a cleaner audio experience with a much better defined/fat bottom sound than the Beat Beat Beat at the Beeb cd offers. Top end on the bootleg also breaks off at higher volume than the vinyl which can be played louder. It is noteworthy though that many of these songs that were recorded didn't get much sonic improvement from latest release. Could they have done a better job with On Air re-mix? Probably so, which will cause many audiophile Stones fans to be aggravated and disappointed knowing the project could have/should have been done with more attention to audio improvement. On Air chronology is all over the place. How hard would it have been to at least make it an accurate time progression of those recordings?

In the end I really like this On Air release, and feel it was very much worth the small investment for the records. I haven't heard the On Air cd's , but the vinyl plays great. One can only hope they release the full body of those Stones BBC recordings. It's this raw older version of the Stones with Brian and Stu in the studio, in concert that for me is very exciting to re-visit. I can only hope that On Air gets decent enough sales to entice the band into further vault releases.

I remember the mixed feelings I had when they put out an 'official' Brussels '73 release. I liked some of the versions better on the boot, but there was no bass, and Mick Taylor's guitar was not as prominent.

Date: December 4, 2017 16:23

You can't re-mix with only two (and in some cases: one) tracks.

They have cleaned it up and remastered it, aka some noise filters and added bottom to the sound.

What they haven't done, often the rule #1 in mastering: is to balance the volume between the different tracks. They vary a lot in volume.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: December 4, 2017 17:05

Listen closer to track 10 from the 1st CD. The Last Time, around 2.43-2.44.
Mick sings 'last time baby' twice.
But there is no such a thing on bootlegs Beat Beat Beat At The Beeb 1963-1965 [IU 9428] and "GET SATISFACTION...IF YOU WANT!" [TSP-CD-003].
This thing is on my CD from Deluxe set.
CD1:catalog #: 670 274-1
SID Mould Code: IFPI 947P
SID mastering Code: IFPI L555
Matrix#: Sony DADC [Universal logo] 6702741V2 15A02
Apparently, this mastering error is all over the place in all formats - CD, LP and Downloads.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-04 17:06 by ironbelly.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: December 4, 2017 17:36

ironbelly
But there is no such a thing on bootlegs Beat Beat Beat At The Beeb 1963-1965 [IU 9428] and "GET SATISFACTION...IF YOU WANT!" [TSP-CD-003].
Apparently, this mastering error is all over the place in all formats - CD, LP and Downloads.

Good call out ironbelly. It is true what you said, and I confirmed it on my record too.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 4, 2017 17:37

TheGreek
I just ordered the CD yesterday and this morning listened to 30 second samples of each track and I just LOVE IT so much .So raw and primitive in all it splendid glory .Wow if I could time travel to the early sixties I would do it in a heartbeat to be their from the beginning and incorporation of the birth of the Rolling Stones .Such a wonderful sound to me .Can't wait for this one to come home to me so I can blast it from the big speakers hot smiley

Eggzactly what it's all about ... Enjoy!

Date: December 4, 2017 18:18

ironbelly

True. Also mentioned by retired dog earlier in this thread.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 4, 2017 18:20

The album is #21 on UK's midweek sales (Friday/Saturday/Sunday) with 5.5k copies sold, it will sell close to 9-10k during the first week.

In the US the album is expected to debut on the Top 30 with 12-13k sold.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 4, 2017 18:23

DandelionPowderman

They have cleaned it up and remastered it, aka some noise filters and added bottom to the sound.

What they haven't done, often the rule #1 in mastering: is to balance the volume between the different tracks. They vary a lot in volume.

But the talk of the town was that they "de-mixed" it, using the same technology as for the Beatles - Hollywood Bowl release which is reportedly capable of separating instruments and voices even from a mono source, so theoretically stereo mixes could be made from mono sources and also true remixes, adjusting the volume of certain instruments and voices.

Whatever, their "cleaning" obviously did not went so far to (I can only repeat myself as I've mentioned it in previous posts) to repair the tape glitch at the start of Beautiful Delilah (audible on some early boots but beautifully repaired by some younger generation bootleggers, so there's no reason the Stones could not do the same) or even notice the mastering error in The Last Time at 2:46 which is not existent on any bootlegs I know. Things like these are not excusable on official releases - where's quality control?

Then again, who really cares except filstan, ironbelly & me?

I recall the time when Live Licks came out with this horrible Rocks Off edit, this board was on fire...

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: December 4, 2017 18:33

filstan
ironbelly

Good call out ironbelly. It is true what you said, and I confirmed it on my record too.
The On Air remaster of this track also fades earlier than the bootleg version....

www.rsundercover.eu

Date: December 4, 2017 18:36

They made a remix/edit project with 53 years old tapes?! Grrrr...

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: December 4, 2017 18:38

retired_dog
Things like these are not excusable on official releases - where's quality control?

I recall the time when Live Licks came out with this horrible Rocks Off edit, this board was on fire...
May I remind you about Sweet Virginia on CBS CD. That infamous volume drop in vocal just before coda (2.09 mark, if memory serves me well)? Maybe they will withdraw the first pressing and offer us newly remastered and corrected version next year (not for free, for sure).winking smiley

Date: December 4, 2017 18:43

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman

But the talk of the town was that they "de-mixed" it, using the same technology as for the Beatles - Hollywood Bowl release which is reportedly capable of separating instruments and voices even from a mono source, so theoretically stereo mixes could be made from mono sources and also true remixes, adjusting the volume of certain instruments and voices.

Whatever, their "cleaning" obviously did not went so far to (I can only repeat myself as I've mentioned it in previous posts) to repair the tape glitch at the start of Beautiful Delilah (audible on some early boots but beautifully repaired by some younger generation bootleggers, so there's no reason the Stones could not do the same) or even notice the mastering error in The Last Time at 2:46 which is not existent on any bootlegs I know. Things like these are not excusable on official releases - where's quality control?

I care, but what can we do?

The "de-mixing" is not the same as working with separate tracks, although they can do something with a track / part of the sound scape + some residue from other tracks. I guess the challenge is to make the different track's frequencies ring together?

I don't think the best stuff here sound inferior to that of the Hollywood Bowl-release.

I agree with your point about the sloppiness of gathering the tapes, as well as the editing.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 4, 2017 19:21

Britney
filstan
ironbelly

The On Air remaster of this track also fades earlier than the bootleg version....

There's also the missing bass notes at the very start of "Come On" which are present on boots featuring recordings taken from transcription discs but are missing on ones where off-air recordings are used.
[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-04 19:37 by Deltics.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 4, 2017 22:01

Just got the deluxe cd. Think my fave is 2120 South Michigan Avenue. Nice package & considering it's from the Stones a pretty good value. 32 songs for $13. Nice! Not the norm these days...

Date: December 5, 2017 07:39

crholmstrom
Just got the deluxe cd. Think my fave is 2120 South Michigan Avenue. Nice package & considering it's from the Stones a pretty good value. 32 songs for $13. Nice! Not the norm these days...

On jpc.de you get "all" 50+ circulating BBC tracks unspoilt for 13 Euro (= the half-official 2cd released earlier this year).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-05 07:42 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 5, 2017 11:58

Following a query from Felix Aeppli, I'd like to point out that in addition to Ain't That Loving You Baby being mislabelled on the On Air set (it's from Top Gear 1964), Hi Heel Sneakers on the official set is from The Joe Loss Pop Show April 10th 1964 rather than Saturday Club April 1964 which it is listed as being from on the sleeve.
The Joe Loss Pop Show version is incomplete (it always was on the bootlegs I believe, though not when first broadcast when it ran 2.45) and was performed in front of an audience who are much in evidence.
A minor error but worth noting.
The Amazon mp3 listing has Hi Heel Sneakers as being from Saturday Club 1965, two alternative facts for the price of one.

Date: December 5, 2017 12:01

Thanks, Ash. I was just listening to Hi Heel Sneakers as your post came in smiling smiley

Date: December 5, 2017 12:05

Deltics
There's also the missing bass notes at the very start of "Come On" which are present on boots featuring recordings taken from transcription discs but are missing on ones where off-air recordings are used.
[www.youtube.com]

And there you go. Another thing that could have been corrected quite easily with a bit more attention to detail. Thinking about it, the Come On intro already sounded truncated when they first released it as as a promo "taster" on the net a couple of weeks ago..

I think it's obvious that the Stones need some outside input for projects like these, namely experienced fans. For a band of their stature, it's a shame that things go wrong on an official release that were perfectly ok on bootlegs...

To Dandy: I'm afraid there's not much we can do - apart from publicly complaining that things like these don't go unnoticed and that there are indeed people out there who care. Maybe we'll catch their attention...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-05 12:08 by retired_dog.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 5, 2017 13:32

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman

I care, but what can we do?

The "de-mixing" is not the same as working with separate tracks, although they can do something with a track / part of the sound scape + some residue from other tracks. I guess the challenge is to make the different track's frequencies ring together?

I don't think the best stuff here sound inferior to that of the Hollywood Bowl-release.

I agree with your point about the sloppiness of gathering the tapes, as well as the editing.
I also agree with you DP about Hollywood Bowl sounding inferior as there is much more noise in the live Beatles release versus the sample clips I have heard from On Air ,until I can listen to the complete tracks .

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 5, 2017 13:33

retired_dog
I'm afraid there's not much we can do - apart from publicly complaining that things like these don't go unnoticed and that there are indeed people out there who care. Maybe we'll catch their attention...

I don't think so. As someone posted before: there was a massive protest after the Rocks Off
carnage on Live Licks all over the internet, but not a single fvck was given by anyone
around the RS management, let alone any members of the band themselves (who I supect
hardly listen to their final output at all).

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: December 5, 2017 13:43

marcovandereijk
retired_dog
I'm afraid there's not much we can do - apart from publicly complaining that things like these don't go unnoticed and that there are indeed people out there who care. Maybe we'll catch their attention...

I don't think so. As someone posted before: there was a massive protest after the Rocks Off
carnage on Live Licks all over the internet, but not a single fvck was given by anyone
around the RS management, let alone any members of the band themselves (who I supect

Everytime I read the credits on the Rarities-album, I feel that this battle is permanently lost..

There's a new generation young people working for the Stones with this now, and they don't have either the competance, the will to correct things or the curiousity to make the best products possible.

We'll just have to acknowledge (not accept, though) that, I guess...

Date: December 5, 2017 13:53

DandelionPowderman
marcovandereijk
retired_dog

Everytime I read the credits on the Rarities-album, I feel that this battle is permanently lost..

There's a new generation young people working for the Stones with this now, and they don't have either the competance, the will to correct things or the curiousity to make the best products possible.

We'll just have to acknowledge (not accept, though) that, I guess...

Yeah, that's probably how things stand. Or even most likely. It's a shame...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1597
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home