Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 24
Re: On Air in the Sixties: New Book, CD and LP by The Rolling Stones
Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: December 1, 2017 22:15

Just got mine in the mail. Can't wait to compare with all my other bootlegs. I don't expect the sound quality to be that much better. Just looking forward to hearing Brian Jones when he played some lead guitar and sang back up vocals.

Now we need an announcement of when the lost video stuff is coming out.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: December 1, 2017 23:02

I didn't get to order the Yellow Vinyl on JPC and now got it on rs.com - I just hope they don't screw it up this time.

Date: December 1, 2017 23:25

I love it!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 1, 2017 23:51

Mine should be arriving this afternoon - Amazon says:

Arriving today by 8 PM
Out for delivery

Have to say I'm chomping at the bit - perfect timing for the weekend to listen to a "new" Stones album.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 2, 2017 00:08

U2Stonesfan
RipThisBone
To me On Air feels like getting another bootleg added to my collection, but official.

And adding a bootleg to my collection has always been a great feeling since 1981/82 when I bought my firs few vinyl ones.

Got goosebumps listening to Roll Over Beethoven last week, maybe because I had not played it for maybe 25 years...

Gonna be a great weekend!

That's the same way I felt about listening to Come On! It's probably been about 25 years.

smileys with beer

Great!!!
Unfortunatly I have to wait until december 5 to get my copy of ON AIR, because I asked it as a present from Sinterklaas en Zwarte Piet, but...they are a bit slow.

Now listening the bootleg CD called CRACKIN' UP. Fantastic backing vocals!!!

GREATEST R&R BAND from 1963 (Charlie joining) FOR EVER!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-02 00:35 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: December 2, 2017 01:27

I've listened to my copy (CD deluxe version). ANd I must say, I've enjoyed it. Nothing new there, but all those tracks are very cool. I love to hear those tracks with Brian Jones again... pure R&B, British attitude, young Stones. It's about time they've released these officialy.

The only thing I miss here, are those short BBC interviews...

Date: December 2, 2017 01:47

Just finished listening to it. It sounded pretty good to me. Some of the songs you can only do so much to improve. There's no saving Ain't That Loving You Baby. Come On sounds pretty crisp and clear even though I've always hated it. The highlight for me is Brian Jones playing lead slide guitar on I Wanna Be Your Man with great backing from Bill's bass. Great early tune. This is when Keith and Brian were on their game with the two guitar parts. Plenty of guitar weaving going on here.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 2, 2017 01:53

DiamondDog7
I've listened to my copy (CD deluxe version). ANd I must say, I've enjoyed it. Nothing new there, but all those tracks are very cool. I love to hear those tracks with Brian Jones again... pure R&B, British attitude, young Stones. It's about time they've released these officialy.

The only thing I miss here, are those short BBC interviews...

That's what I loved about the 'Stones 65' album. You got to hear Brian give a little different feel on Little Red Rooster.

I'm not familiar with the BBC material. Is there enough left over for a Volume 2?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-02 01:53 by 24FPS.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: December 2, 2017 03:19

I've had the boots for many years but this is a definite upgrade to my ears. Worth every cent.

Date: December 2, 2017 05:48

bleedingman
I've had the boots for many years but this is a definite upgrade to my ears. Worth every cent.

Yes, and there were those tracks released on GRRRR deluxe, but it's nice to have it all together in a spiffy brand new package!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 2, 2017 09:28

Few comments on the booklet, don't know why on page 1-2 it shows the years 1963 to 1969 when there's nothing past 65.
Under credits, it lists Brian as guitar and harmonica but no backing vocals although Bill gets listed with backing vocals.
Also, I think Brian should have been listed third in the names behind Jagger/Richards instead of fifth only ahead of Ian.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 2, 2017 12:35

Yeah, got it yesterday. Really pleased with it. Good release from the band, now we want more !!!
Jeroen

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: December 2, 2017 19:49

just got an e-mail saying mine got send today smiling smiley

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Date: December 2, 2017 21:04

DGA35
Few comments on the booklet, don't know why on page 1-2 it shows the years 1963 to 1969 when there's nothing past 65.
Under credits, it lists Brian as guitar and harmonica but no backing vocals although Bill gets listed with backing vocals.
Also, I think Brian should have been listed third in the names behind Jagger/Richards instead of fifth only ahead of Ian.

Let me guess, it was Mick, Keith & Charlie listed 1,2, 3?

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 2, 2017 21:05

Today had my pleasure to listen to both disks. Have been smiling ever since.
Great to hear these skinny English cats playing these songs with so much enthusiasm.
They're all great, but I was especially amazed by Bill's performance. Never a dull moment
listening to his bass playing.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 2, 2017 21:32

24FPS
DGA35

Let me guess, it was Mick, Keith & Charlie listed 1,2, 3?

Yes. Surprised they even listed Bill before Brian!

Date: December 2, 2017 21:58

DGA35

Didn't even notice there was a booklet. This is how it should read.

Mick Jagger- Lead vocals, harmonica
Keith Richards- Lead and rhythm guitar, backing vocals
Brian Jones- Rhythm, slide and lead guitar, harmonica, backing vocals
Bill Wyman- Bass, backing vocals
Charlie Watts- Drums
Ian Stewart- Piano

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-02 22:00 by ovalvox.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: December 2, 2017 22:18

DGA35
Maybe they follow the rule for scientific publications? winking smiley

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: December 2, 2017 22:26

Mona!

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: December 2, 2017 23:03

..the whole album (1h45) streaming on Rolling stones facebook....!!!!

Date: December 3, 2017 00:24

Made it through cd 1 today ( cd2 tomorrow), and am now inspired to go back to square one and dig deep through all studio recordings of that era - it's been awhile.

Nice review here:

Album Review: The Rolling Stones’ ‘BBC Sessions’

" you’ll hear both the explosive, primal energy that made the band so exciting in the first place, and the often-comic naivite
of a bunch of 20-year-old Londoners trying to emulate Chuck Berry and bluesmen from the Deep South"

That thought crossed my mind when listening to Cops and Robbers, but rather than "comic naivete" I thought Mick's vocals were totally convincing on this - especially the "talk/singing" parts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-03 00:25 by Hairball.

Date: December 3, 2017 00:43

ovalvox
DGA35

Charlie Watts- Drums
Ian Stewart- Piano

On what songs does Brian play lead guitar? (Not counting slide).

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: December 3, 2017 00:48

I wonder if they are holding back the songs that they did not include for a future release?

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: December 3, 2017 01:21

I ordered the vinyl copy and it came today. Sounds good to me, but I have not compared it with the old bootleg recordings I have. I like the big bottom sound that comes through the speakers. I'm glad they put this official release together as it reveals what this band was all about in the early years. I'm not sure why they didn't release these tracks in chronological order as it would have given the listener better context how the band was developing.

I think the vinyl is worth buying despite what many say over on the Hoffman forum about the audio quality. To each his own.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: December 3, 2017 01:49

Has anyone gotten theres that ordered through the Stones web site? Don't know why I ordered through them, I am still waiting for a poster I ordered in 2015.

Date: December 3, 2017 01:54

24FPS
ovalvox
DGA35

Charlie Watts- Drums
Ian Stewart- Piano

On what songs does Brian play lead guitar? (Not counting slide).

I'd say Mona would be considered lead guitar. He's the prominent guitarist. He takes those solo runs during the break. Keith just plays basic non tremelo rhythm. The Spider and the Fly, High Heeled Sneakers and Mercy Mercy he trades notes with Keith during the fills before the verses start. Keith may take the solos but Brian does more than play just rhythm. He interplays with Keith on a few of those tracks. Two guitars playing lead at the same time. What Keith always talked about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-03 01:55 by ovalvox.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: December 3, 2017 03:03

Of course the recordings are uneven, but there is some kick ass material on this release. Just to name one example I have replayed 2120 S. Michigan Ave a few times. OMG, that groove they lay down is simply hypnotic. By all means turn it WAAY up.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: December 3, 2017 04:44

Love it!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 3, 2017 06:50

LURV IT .....
Don't it dig into ya soul when ya hear 'em that young doin' what they do best.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 3, 2017 11:57

Is the official album really necessary? What I read somewhere far doesn't sound very promising.

There are great 2CD sets available meanwhile with the (more or less) complete stuff, with 50+ takes each, not just 32, and with the tracks in correct order (I like that). DAC, Godfather, the semi-official release earlier this year (Complete British Radio Broadcasts)... Which one is the best? Anybody checked it?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-03 12:56 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1389
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home