Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 24
Re: On Air in the Sixties: New Book, CD and LP by The Rolling Stones
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 23, 2017 15:13

ironbelly
Deltics
Roll Over Beethoven:
[www.uncut.co.uk]
Direct youtube link for those who have regional problems with vevo
[www.youtube.com]

GRRREAT! Thank you very much, Deltics and ironbelly! hot smiley

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: November 23, 2017 17:59

thumbs up smileys with beer

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 23, 2017 18:22

Cristiano Radtke
ironbelly
Deltics
Roll Over Beethoven:
[www.uncut.co.uk]
Direct youtube link for those who have regional problems with vevo
[www.youtube.com]

GRRREAT! Thank you very much, Deltics and ironbelly! hot smiley

Thanks. Great stuff !! we want more and more.
Jeroen

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: November 26, 2017 22:41

Got this email from Amazon:

Hello,

We have good news! One of your pre-ordered items is now eligible for release date delivery and has been upgraded at no additional charge. Your new delivery estimate is:

The Rolling Stones "ON AIR [Deluxe]"
Estimated arrival date: December 01, 2017

Date: November 27, 2017 13:40

Q Magazine, January 2018

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 27, 2017 23:13

Price has shot down $10.00 since ordered on 10/7!!

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 27, 2017 23:29

Maindefender
Price has shot down $10.00 since ordered on 10/7!!
They are dumping price to get #1 again. As they did with deluxe of B&L last year. At some point there was an offer on amazon like buy 3 copies for 20GBP (total discount was something like 85 GBP).

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: November 30, 2017 19:06

Looking forward to a listen of this tonight.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 30, 2017 20:53

Already listened to it. Must say that I'm not overly impressed. Sound quality is different than I recall it from the various boots, but if it's "better" than the best boots I still have to compare in detail. One thing that bugs me is that they did not repair things that could have been easily done, like the very start of Beautiful Delilah with the "switch on" sound of the tape recorder, which can be heard on many of the early boots but was corrected on younger boots and unofficial remasters, but inexplicably not for this official release! The "Lost Treasures" boot CD from VGP even has the opening guitar chords intact unlike other versions that start "cold" with Micks vocals. May be an indicator that not much research work went into this official project.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-30 20:55 by retired_dog.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: November 30, 2017 23:45

To me On Air feels like getting another bootleg added to my collection, but official.

And adding a bootleg to my collection has always been a great feeling since 1981/82 when I bought my firs few vinyl ones.

Got goosebumps listening to Roll Over Beethoven last week, maybe because I had not played it for maybe 25 years...

Gonna be a great weekend!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-30 23:49 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: December 1, 2017 00:00

RipThisBone
To me On Air feels like getting another bootleg added to my collection, but official.

And adding a bootleg to my collection has always been a great feeling since 1981/82 when I bought my firs few vinyl ones.

Got goosebumps listening to Roll Over Beethoven last week, maybe because I had not played it for maybe 25 years...

Gonna be a great weekend!

That's the same way I felt about listening to Come On! It's probably been about 25 years.

Date: December 1, 2017 11:12

This is nothing but a joy to listen to. What a band the real Stones were!!!

smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-01 12:11 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: December 1, 2017 11:20

There are some sound issues in the beginning of Cops And Robbers that weren't there on the GRRR-release? That's a bit sloppy, since they already had it in superb quality..

Date: December 1, 2017 12:08

Just love the stuff Brian is doing with his guitar on Confessing The Blues thumbs up

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: December 1, 2017 12:17

On a first listen on cd : pure joy !
But with a few problems as mentionned by others before, like the glitch sound at the start of Beuatiful Delilah, and the start of Cops And Robbers : it starts with a beautiful, mighty strong band sound, which, after a few seconds ist faded out a bit before the vocals start. I don't think it was like this on my vinyl boot from back when...

But it's a very nice combo with the yellow book. Listen, watch the pics, read some notes, have a beer, just great smileys with beer

resotele

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 1, 2017 15:26

It's arrived! Listening now..

Posted by: Erhard51 ()
Date: December 1, 2017 16:14

What a fantastic double albumsmiling smiley

Date: December 1, 2017 16:18

DandelionPowderman
This is nothing but a joy to listen to. What a band the real Stones were!!!

smileys with beer

The music itself, yeah, absolutely. Everything that makes the Stones is already there. The fact that these are live recordings and considering their age back then may remind some of us here who tend to believe that the early Stones were just a forerunner to everything that followed after JJF what an unbelievable band the Stones were right from the start.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-01 18:17 by retired_dog.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: December 1, 2017 17:26

Stones were more better live and then got better in studios too,love there early recoding cause they were raw. There stage shows are brillant as the years have gone by and playing in club gigs are awesome too. WE keep rocking and wait for the new album coming out next year between april/june. 2018

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: December 1, 2017 19:19

Just started listening to the Deluxe Edition, so much fun!

Date: December 1, 2017 20:14

Keith Richards reflects on the Rolling Stones' BBC recordings, complete with threats of decapitation

For all the outward swagger the Rolling Stones projected, there were certain situations that could intimidate even England’s bad boys of rock ’n’ roll.

Near the top of the list: performing before a TV or radio audience of millions of listeners, such as when the BBC extended an invite to appear on one of its many music programs of the mid-1960s.

“At the time we were doing this, we were like ‘Oh, my God — the BBC!” Stones songwriter and guitarist Keith Richards, 73, said recently from his home in Connecticut, where he’d just returned after having wrapped a tour of Europe with bandmates Mick Jagger, drummer Charlie Watts, lead guitarist Ron Wood and bassist Darryl Jones.

That period is captured in “On Air,” a new two-CD, 32-track set out today and featuring recordings live and in the studio that the Stones made from 1963 to 1965.

“We were just trying to disguise our actual terror,” Richards said with that signature hearty pirate laugh. “There was a lot of adrenaline.”

The nerves, however, didn’t last long.

“Once you got out there — that’s the thing about the Rolling Stones,” he said, sounding one step removed from the group he’s been part of for 55 years. “Once we started playing, we didn’t give a [damn]. They still don’t — bless their hearts. We just got off the road, and I wish there were a few more shows. We were just hitting a groove!”

The Rolling Stones - Best of [goo.gl] Subscribe here: [goo.gl] ‘Come on’ is taken from The Rolling Stones forthcoming album ‘On Air’ - a collection of c ...
The Stones’ hard-hitting groove is front and center in many of the “On Air” tracks. The set includes such cornerstone original songs from its early years as “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction,” “The Last Time,” “It’s All Over Now” and “The Spider and the Fly,” as well as blues and R&B chestnuts that had been important parts of the band’s repertoire before the Jagger-Richards songwriting team fully kicked into gear.

In those days, the BBC refused to play studio recordings by musicians that were spotlighted on various programs. Instead, the British government-run broadcast service insisted that artists record different versions for TV and radio, or perform them live. By contrast, many music shows in the U.S. often got by on the cheap by having performers lip-sync to their records.

The upshot is that the BBC created a trove of alternate studio and live versions of some of the biggest hits of the ’60s, including even renditions of some songs groups never otherwise committed to vinyl in the day.

“On Air” provides a counterpart to two volumes of similar, already released BBC recordings the Beatles made during the same period. Along with the original material chosen for “On Air,” we hear the Stones’ take on Chuck Berry’s “Roll Over Beethoven” — one of the few times listeners can compare songs recorded by the Beatles and the Stones.

“The BBC wanted us and we didn’t know really why or what we were doing,” Richards said. “We were playing blues in bars, for Christ’s sake, but then we got a top 10 record and suddenly we’re the other alternative to the Beatles, bless their hearts,” he said. “Yeah, I mean, they broke the doors down, especially Johnny. We always got along.”

The set also features spirited versions of Berry’s “Memphis Tennessee” and “Carol,” Tommy Tucker’s “Hi-Heel Sneakers,” Buster Brown’s “Fannie Mae,” Hank Snow-by-way-of-Ray Charles’ “I’m Moving On,” Bo Diddley’s “Cops and Robbers,” Jay McShann’s “Confessin’ the Blues,” Rufus Thomas’ “Walkin’ the Dog” and Willie Dixon’s “I Just Want to Make Love to You,” best known via Muddy Waters’ recording.

“When I hear it, I hear a lot of energy and enthusiasm — and then I want to go in and remix it,” Richards said, laughing again. “But there was no remixing done then.”

In fact, one eye-opener for the young musicians was the peek they got behind the curtain.

“You think — you believe, the way you’re brought up in London — that the BBC know what they’re doing,” he said. “Then you get there and find out they have no idea how to record a band like this.

“The first thing I remember about my encounter with the BBC was there was this guy: Microphone Control Man. He had a huge mustache, like an officer in the RAF [Royal Air Force], one of them ginger jobs. He told me, ‘If you touch that microphone, I’ll decapitate you.’ I didn’t know what I would do with it anyway, but he had no more idea what to do with it than we did.”

Nevertheless, while the quality of the “On Air” recordings varies considerably, and some are monaural while others are stereo, many sound remarkably crisp, clean and potent. Some of that is attributed to an “audio source separation” process that Abbey Road Studio engineers used to bring more fidelity out of the original BBC tapes.

“On those shows,” he said, “you had no idea what the microphones were picking up and what was actually coming out of the radio. You just winged it and hoped for the best. Listening to it now, I think they captured the spirit of it all. I could argue about whether Brian was too loud or not, but apart from [stuff] like that, I think it’s a fascinating record as a piece.”

Yet, Richards said, “For me it’s hard to imagine people want to listen to BBC live recordings of the Stones from 1964 or 5 or 3 or whatever it was,” he said. “What I can say is I’m amazed there is so much interest in it. And that you people in America know more about it than we do.”

Indeed, “On Air” constitutes something of a companion piece, or a bookend, to last year’s “Blue & Lonesome” album, the Stones’ homage to vintage American blues, R&B and soul music that collected a Grammy Award nomination for traditional blues album.

“I’m really happy with the last album, the blues album,” he said. “It was one of the things we felt we had to do, but it worked out really great.”

Does that mean we might see a sequel one day soon?

“We’re working on some new [material] now,” he said. “There’s a new album in the works. We’re slowly putting it together.”

As for another modern-day collection of their favorite old blues numbers, Richards uttered another lascivious laugh and said, “I’m going to sound like Trump now: ‘Trust me. We’re working on it.’”

[www.latimes.com]

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 1, 2017 20:23

Either my ears have failed me or I'm right when I think this release is very sloppy. Completely understand the poor sound quality of the original tapes but seriously. I find only Come On and Roll Over Beethoven as worthy. Hate me if you will, but I'm not drinking the Kool Aid.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: December 1, 2017 20:47

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-01 21:45 by Rollin' Stoner.

Date: December 1, 2017 20:52

As a hard core Stones Fan I won't say this is not a significant release, but surely they could have done much better. My thought is they couldn't help the various sound qualities between performances. In this case it should of been different somehow. Maybe it was a rushed product?

Date: December 1, 2017 20:57

frankotero
Either my ears have failed me or I'm right when I think this release is very sloppy. Completely understand the poor sound quality of the original tapes but seriously. I find only Come On and Roll Over Beethoven as worthy. Hate me if you will, but I'm not drinking the Kool Aid.

Hmmm, yes. My first reaction (read above) was that I'm not overly impressed with the production. Will cut my teeth further into this matter by comparing On Air with various bootlegs and tapes I have as I don't think that they have always used the best sources available, at least to serious collectors. Frankly, I find the sound a bit dull and too obviously processed in places, having lost the edge somehow. One thing's for sure already, and that's the fact that there are no real tape upgrades compared to the circulating stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-01 21:02 by retired_dog.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 1, 2017 21:14

Mick's nasal, affected performance bugs me. Keith's playing is atrocious, compared to what he used to be. Brian should be replaced with a younger, better guitarist. Charlie just can't wham them like he used to. Only the bass is perfect. They're a parody of what they were in 1962. Still, it's their best album since Exile.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 1, 2017 21:20

24FPS
Mick's nasal, affected performance bugs me. Keith's playing is atrocious, compared to what he used to be. Brian should be replaced with a younger, better guitarist. Charlie just can't wham them like he used to. Only the bass is perfect. They're a parody of what they were in 1962. Still, it's their best album since Exile.

That's funny. thumbs upthumbs up

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: December 1, 2017 21:20

Forgive me as there's a lot of songs here so I can't remember all the particulars. But I heard at least 2 abrupt endings, and I don't remember if that's on all the bootlegs. Plus I heard a double take in The Last Time at the end? Is that me but it seems there's a repeat line right before the end. The varying quality doesn't flow for me. And it bothers me to compare this to The Beatles Hollywood Bowl where they promised the same type of quality improvement. It fell very short in my opinion. However, if you are enjoying this I do not want to spoil your fun. I was thinking to wait longer to make my comments and perhaps I jumped too soon.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 1, 2017 21:34

"...we regret to inform you that the performance was not considered suitable for our purposes"!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: December 1, 2017 21:45

frankotero
As a hard core Stones Fan I won't say this is not a significant release, but surely they could have done much better. My thought is they couldn't help the various sound qualities between performances. In this case it should of been different somehow. Maybe it was a rushed product?
Seems we already arrive to p.6 and p.7
1. This is going to be the greatest thing ever!
2. I can't wait, look at that tracklisting!
3. I have pre-ordered 3 sets! (2 to be kept sealed)
4. It shipped!
5. Even better than I thought it was going to be!
6. It sucks.
7. A missed opportunity.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1899
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home