Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 24
Re: On Air in the Sixties: New Book, CD and LP by The Rolling Stones
Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 10, 2017 22:19

Hound Dog
So is the deluxe vinyl not yellow vinyl. Looks like just the standard edition is colored. Doesn't really make a difference to me I'd rather have the extra songs.
According to the official store
[store.digitalstores.co.uk]
Both black and yellow vinyls share the same track listing, 32 songs. Unless somebody made a copy-paste error they should be identical within the color of the vinyl and the color of the cover.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 11, 2017 07:34

jlowe
24FPS
We got the book. We'll get the BBC recordings. And the DVD?

I suspect there will be a BBC documentary on TV around December which will push up the sales a little.
Maybe then an extended version on DVD to tie in with the ? UK Tour in 2018.

I thought we were supposed to get a truck load of 60s videos, some lip synched, some live.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 11, 2017 14:24

Any word on Japanese bonus tracks for this?

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: October 11, 2017 15:50

VoodooLounge13
Any word on Japanese bonus tracks for this?

None. Same as the deluxe edition according to CD Japan.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-11 15:52 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 12, 2017 16:05

On Come on, who sing the backing vocals ?

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: October 12, 2017 16:08

powerage78
On Come on, who sing the backing vocals ?

Brian

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 12, 2017 16:24

Thanks

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 12, 2017 17:25

Japanese Editions - [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] :

SHM-CD UICY-15695 , SHM-2CD UICY-78515 .

The 2LPs UIJY-75071 (Standard Vinyl) and PDJT-1001 (Color Vinyl) are imported to Japan.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 12, 2017 21:20

is this "new" album the same songs as the cd i bought last year that was bbc recordings and called more stones than youll ever be.

and is it an official release.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: October 12, 2017 21:39

buttons67

no, it isn't.

Date: October 12, 2017 21:41

TeddyB1018
I’ve got like eight versions of the BBC recordings. Now i’ll have nine.

You need only one boot: "Beat Beat Beat at The Beeb" and the forthcoming official release.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 12, 2017 21:42

buttons67
is this "new" album the same songs as the cd i bought last year that was bbc recordings and called more stones than youll ever be.

The "new" album is an official release of BBC recordings.
The one you bought last year isn't.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: October 12, 2017 21:46

TheBlockbuster
Why is the cover art so ugly? It looks like a bootleg. Don't feel like buying this now.

The stones are finally releasing a BBC set that fans were waiting since at least 20 years and some people still complaining...
The cover art is great, like some bootlegs, I agree.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 12, 2017 22:05

mitch
TheBlockbuster
Why is the cover art so ugly? It looks like a bootleg. Don't feel like buying this now.

The stones are finally releasing a BBC set that fans were waiting since at least 20 years and some people still complaining...
The cover art is great, like some bootlegs, I agree.
Guys, please stay on the track. Currently we suppose to be here:
3. I have pre-ordered 3 sets! (2 to be kept sealed)
It is too early to start complains!

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 12, 2017 23:05

mitch
TeddyB1018
I’ve got like eight versions of the BBC recordings. Now i’ll have nine.

You need only one boot: "Beat Beat Beat at The Beeb" and the forthcoming official release.

That’s one of the eight I have.

Date: October 12, 2017 23:38

TeddyB1018

You can put the seven others in the trash then.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 13, 2017 04:46

mitch
TeddyB1018

...and you will loose TSP's "Get Satisfaction If You Want!" with BBC tracks dubbed from actual BBC masters instead of the usual FM recordings then. Not a good idea!

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 13, 2017 10:12

What is the best unofficial source for these recordings?

Date: October 13, 2017 10:28

retired_dog
mitch
TeddyB1018

...and you will loose TSP's "Get Satisfaction If You Want!" with BBC tracks dubbed from actual BBC masters instead of the usual FM recordings then. Not a good idea!

All the TSP tracks are on the IU release, so...

Date: October 13, 2017 16:42

mitch
retired_dog
mitch
TeddyB1018

All the TSP tracks are on the IU release, so...

But from what source? From an FM off-air recording of the "Stones At The Beeb" program back then or dubbed from TSP? I'll have to dig out my CDs to compare. However, in case Teddy does not even own the TSP title he can't put it in the trash, so further investigation would not be necessary!

Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: October 13, 2017 23:07

Ordered my CD. I have multiple recordings of the Stones on the BBC that I have collected through the years. I pretty much have everything that hasn't been lost. I want to compare the remastered CD coming out with those. I don't expect that much of an improvement if any at all.

I finished the book. It was OK. Nothing great. Bill Wyman's book pretty much had all the shows and songs performed on them already. Nothing really new here. The pictures were good though even if we've seen just about all of them.

I want the DVD most of all. I just want to see a lost show that has never been seen since it aired in the 60's. I don't expect that a lot has been uncovered. The Stones mimed to songs like If You Need Me, Down Home Girl, Under the Boardwalk, etc. Stuff like that. Songs performed once on television or in concert and never again. Or a whole concert start to finish. There are plenty of Beatle concerts filmed in good quality from start to finish. Why no Stones concerts? Just clips here and there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-13 23:09 by ovalvox.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 14, 2017 01:39

ovalvox

There are plenty of Beatle concerts filmed in good quality from start to finish. Why no Stones concerts? Just clips here and there.

That's a good question. Of course the Stones were nowhere near the Beatles during those first couple years of Beatlemania, when everything the Fab Four did was recorded. I just watched an Australian Beatles concert on YouTube last night that I knew nothing about. Maybe Oldham wasn't that great of a manager to not realize their live performances from that time needed some film documentation for historical sake and future commercial considerations.

Hell, the BBC didn't think it important enough to save a copy of their 1968 NME appearance, the last with Brian, live.

Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: October 14, 2017 03:54

24FPS
ovalvox

There are plenty of Beatle concerts filmed in good quality from start to finish. Why no Stones concerts? Just clips here and there.

That's a good question. Of course the Stones were nowhere near the Beatles during those first couple years of Beatlemania, when everything the Fab Four did was recorded. I just watched an Australian Beatles concert on YouTube last night that I knew nothing about. Maybe Oldham wasn't that great of a manager to not realize their live performances from that time needed some film documentation for historical sake and future commercial considerations.

Hell, the BBC didn't think it important enough to save a copy of their 1968 NME appearance, the last with Brian, live.

A lot of lost gems that's for sure. I read that the Stones performed very well that night in 1968. That performance is the single most lost footage I would love to see out of all of it. That little bit of silent footage on YouTube only gives us a slight glimpse of that night. Brian clearly looked like he totally had it together.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 14, 2017 09:22

retired_dog
mitch
TeddyB1018

Thanks, RD. I have that one as well!

Date: October 14, 2017 15:42

TeddyB1018
retired_dog
mitch
TeddyB1018

Thanks, RD. I have that one as well!

You're welcome, Teddy. I meant "lose" btw - probably had too much "Can't Turn You Loose" from the Fonda Theatre gig in mind...

Posted by: ash ()
Date: October 16, 2017 12:14

24FPS
ovalvox

In fairness to the BBC, it wasn't them that filmed and chucked the NME footage it was Southern TV , the Independent Television company for the Southern region of the UK (very broadly speaking, Southampton and nearby areas). The clips were shown on May 18th 1968 in a show called Time For Blackburn. May have been shown on another ITV station too, I'm not sure.
As far as Beatles concerts surviving, there are surprisingly few complete shows and unfortunately most of them are post mid-64 when the band were clearly beginning to get bored, frustrated and stoned. The 1966 German concert is embarrassing. Macca messes up the words to Yesterday and completely screws up I'm Down which is made worse by the rest of the band's inept performance. They must have been seriously wasted. They didn't even care they were being filmed and I suspect the show was highly edited for TV precisely because they were so poor. Like 'em or not, they were shit hot live until just after the first American visit in February 1964 and from that period (1962 to Feb 64), I think only one complete concert survives, the Washington Coliseum show which is brilliant (if you like that kind of thing. I do.)
Not sure we can blame Oldham for not documenting the Stones better. I doubt anyone thought it would last more than a year or two. In addition, the sheer size of "the mania" meant the Fab 4 were filmed more often than anyone and TV companies probably didn't request to film many of the Stones shows, if any barring a few minutes for a quick news report. We are very lucky there is so much footage of the 60's Stones, even if they can't be bothered to release it officially. The DVD compilations by FAB productions is a few DVD's worth of Stones film/tv appearances. Apart from 1963, their career is fairly well documented especially compared to most other acts. Pity the fans of Johnny Kidd. A seven year career and only 2 minutes of film of any kind discovered in recent years. Precisely zero of the 1960-61 Shakin' All Over line-up and none featuring Mick Green (1962-64) on guitar.
I do wish Oldham and the Stones had thought to film some of the late 1966 concerts, not just for the Stones but for the support acts. I'd love to have seen the "World War 3" Beck / Page Yardbirds in live action. They must have been pretty stunning on a good night.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 16, 2017 13:40

Wish there was footage of Muddy.. Lil' Walter and Jimmy
"headhunting" in those Chicago clubs in da early fifties .... Now that'd be crash-hot wild ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 16, 2017 20:04

The 2CD set is at $13.98 on Amazon US, down from $19.99 a week ago:

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: October 17, 2017 09:29

24FPS
ovalvox

The Australian show is hypnotic. There was a Beatles exhibition in Melbourne a couple of years ago and this was shown on constant rotation on a HUGE (cinema sized) screen in the middle of the exhibition. It was like a magnet, attracting people.

As for the BBC and dumping recordings...

In the early 1960s video tape was VERY expensive, and the BBC simply didn't have the budget to archive very much. That's how it was. They were not picking on any particular type of show.

As for guessing that much of this stuff would be really really sought after 60 years later.... anyone who reckons they foretold that is simply lying.

(Strangely the sister of my brother's first wife was one of the people who had the job of wiping and re-cycling tapes).

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 20, 2017 20:48

No news on a companion DVD release for Christmas yet?
I was hoping for a sort of 'Video Rewind 1964-69'. There must be enough footage for a 60 minute compilation.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1706
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home