Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 24
Re: New Book, CD and LP: 'The Rolling Stones: On Air in the Sixties' due out on September 7
Date: October 6, 2017 21:00

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
ash
Apparently fake stereo reverb applied to the available preview track on iTunes.
Not a comprehensive set, better than nothing. If they don't have any new sources it won't be better than the very recent fan-made set but at least it's some kind of recognition for the Jones-era. I do hope they haven't messed with the other tracks too much.
How can we get that Radio Luxembourg March 1964 session ? That would be a brilliant "all-new" release and the band could bypass ABKCO and the BBC couldn't they ? Plus bung Bill a bit of dosh to get a high quality transfer of his acetate.

Reverb? I don't hear that at all. But I do hear cleaned up «tracks». Listen to Bill's bass and Charlie's drums, for instance.

I guess the Audio Source Separation-tool they used worked nicely.

Make an A/B comparison with the bootlegs and the difference is clearly audible. The raw BBC track sounds much "drier". However, I like the sound. The polishing of this track is very tastefully done (unlike some bootleg remastering jobs!). It remains to be seen how the other tracks sound and it will be interesting to see if there are some genuine tape upgrades compared to the bootlegs.

Indeed, but it's tone and other effects, rather than reverb.

The only way to get rid of an all-too dry sound is adding a tad of reverb. Done tastefully by a true professional (unlike most bootleggers or amateur remaster guys) you don't even notice it as such. Fiddling with the EQ, adding compression and other effects can dramatically improve other shortcomings, but won't help to get rid of a dry sound. If done tastefully, the performance as a whole sounds more natural. That's just what my listening experience of Come On tells me. Of course it may have helped that they probably had access to slightly better source tape. Two or even just one analog tape generation(s) can make a helluva lot difference already. If that's the case, maybe they did not need to add reverb because natural acoustics (including natural reverb) are amongst the first things that gradually get lost from tape generation to tape generation. Not to even speak of the fact that bootleggers may have had to deal with FM broadcast recordings with all its limitations.

It's also the first thing the bootleggers do with a sound file.

To my ears, this doesn't sound like the usual "add reverb and it'll sound live-job".

Re: New Book, CD and LP: 'The Rolling Stones: On Air in the Sixties' due out on September 7
Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: October 6, 2017 21:13

DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef
Someone over at the Hoffman Forums posted that the official release will be in "fake stereo."

Well, some of it was actually recorded in real stereo.

The tracks that appeared on the Grrrr Super Deluxe Edition.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 6, 2017 21:36

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
ash
Not a comprehensive set, better than nothing. If they don't have any new sources it won't be better than the very recent fan-made set but at least it's some kind of recognition for the Jones-era. I do hope they haven't messed with the other tracks too much.
How can we get that Radio Luxembourg March 1964 session ? That would be a brilliant "all-new" release and the band could bypass ABKCO and the BBC couldn't they ? Plus bung Bill a bit of dosh to get a high quality transfer of his acetate.

Reverb? I don't hear that at all. But I do hear cleaned up «tracks». Listen to Bill's bass and Charlie's drums, for instance.

Make an A/B comparison with the bootlegs and the difference is clearly audible. The raw BBC track sounds much "drier". However, I like the sound. The polishing of this track is very tastefully done (unlike some bootleg remastering jobs!). It remains to be seen how the other tracks sound and it will be interesting to see if there are some genuine tape upgrades compared to the bootlegs.

The only way to get rid of an all-too dry sound is adding a tad of reverb. Done tastefully by a true professional (unlike most bootleggers or amateur remaster guys) you don't even notice it as such. Fiddling with the EQ, adding compression and other effects can dramatically improve other shortcomings, but won't help to get rid of a dry sound. If done tastefully, the performance as a whole sounds more natural. That's just what my listening experience of Come On tells me. Of course it may have helped that they probably had access to slightly better source tape. Two or even just one analog tape generation(s) can make a helluva lot difference already. If that's the case, maybe they did not need to add reverb because natural acoustics (including natural reverb) are amongst the first things that gradually get lost from tape generation to tape generation. Not to even speak of the fact that bootleggers may have had to deal with FM broadcast recordings with all its limitations.

To my ears, this doesn't sound like the usual "add reverb and it'll sound live-job".

Well, then it may be a better tape source with the natural acoustics intact. It's hard to tell from a tiny YouTube file on (although good) PC speakers. One thing's for certain though: It sounds better / more natural than the boots. Let's wait and see what the final release brings to the table. I'm hoping for a fine-sounding Beautiful Delilah after all these years in particular because this is one of my favourite tracks from the early years. But as it's just part of the Deluxe Edition bonuses I don't hold my breath.

Date: October 6, 2017 22:11

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
ash

Well, then it may be a better tape source with the natural acoustics intact. It's hard to tell from a tiny YouTube file on (although good) PC speakers. One thing's for certain though: It sounds better / more natural than the boots. Let's wait and see what the final release brings to the table. I'm hoping for a fine-sounding Beautiful Delilah after all these years in particular because this is one of my favourite tracks from the early years. But as it's just part of the Deluxe Edition bonuses I don't hold my breath.

Yep thumbs up

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: October 6, 2017 22:38

ironbelly
From iTunes

Deluxe edition:

1. Come On (Saturday Club 1963)
2. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (Saturday Club 1965)
3. Roll Over Beethoven (Saturday Club 1963)
4. The Spider and the Fly (Yeah Yeah 1965)
5. Cops and Robbers (Blues in Rhythm 1964)
6. It's All Over Now (The Joe Loss Pop Show 1964)
7. Route 66 (Blues in Rhythm 1964)
8. Memphis, Tennessee (Saturday Club 1963)
9. Down the Road Apiece (Top Gear 1965)
10. The Last Time (Top Gear 1965)
11. Cry to Me (Saturday Club 1965)
12. Mercy, Mercy (Yeah Yeah 1965)
13. Oh! Baby (We Got a Good Thing Goin') (Saturday Club 1965)
14. Around and Around (Top Gear 1964)
15. Hi Heel Sneakers (Saturday Club 1965)
16. Fannie Mae (Saturday Club 1965)
17. You Better Move On (Blues in Rhythm 1964)
18. Mona (Blues in Rhythm 1964)
19. I Wanna Be Your Man (Saturday Club 1964)
20. Carol (Saturday Club 1964)
21. I'm Moving On (The Joe Loss Pop Show 1964)
22. If You Need Me (The Joe Loss Pop Show 1964)
23. Walking the Dog (Saturday Club 1964)
24. Confessin' the Blues (The Joe Loss Pop Show 1964)
25. Everybody Needs Somebody to Love (Top Gear 1965)
26. Little by Little (The Joe Loss Pop Show 1964)
27. Ain't That Loving You Baby (Rhythm and Blues / BBC World Service 1964)
28. Beautiful Delilah (Saturday Club 1964)
29. Crackin' Up (Top Gear 1964)
30. I Can't Be Satisfied (Top Gear 1964)
31. I Just Want to Make Love to You (Saturday Club 1964)
32. 2120 South Michigan Avenue (Rhythm and Blues / BBC World Service 1964)

The standard edition is just the first 18 tracks.
Don't ask me about the dates, please winking smiley

I do wonder why they chose to do a track list that is not chronological.

For example, the 4 Blues In Rhythm tracks from 1964 are separated in this release. It is a beautiful complete set (with superb stereo sound that was revolutionary at the time) including a DJ announcing the songs. I personally think that nothing beat this 4-song set from the radio or tele appearances. It just looses it's flow, it's power and it's beauty when these songs are separated by others.

I still think the Swingin' Pig release is the best sounding and most enjoyable release (although far from complete).

And it seems that the short little conversations between the songs will not be included in this release, which is a shame really...

Why is it that the Stones is not willing to put out everything that's out there like the Dylan camp does? The Complete(!!!) Basement Tapes even has some really bad sounding demos to satisfy the most hard-core fans... And now that chapter is finally fully closed after decades of waiting.

The from the Vault series is nice, but so far it didn't really include any of the 'holy grails', did it? But it's true: still great to have the Vaults.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 6, 2017 22:44

[www.amazon.de]

Single CD and double vinyl availabe as well...

Posted by: damnation ()
Date: October 6, 2017 22:48

The deluxe has more songs. And the yellow exclusive on the stones store is listed with all the songs as well... copy paste error or will it have all the tracks like the deluxe CD?

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: October 6, 2017 23:03

On JPC:

Yellow vinyl 27.99
[www.jpc.de]

Double CD 20,99
[www.jpc.de]

and more...

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 6, 2017 23:16

Come On sounds good on YouTube. I still think the “holy grail” for this sort of thing would be the improved L’Olympia live recordings, especially the 1967.

Date: October 6, 2017 23:31

frenki09
ironbelly
From iTunes

Deluxe edition:

1. Come On (Saturday Club 1963)
2. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (Saturday Club 1965)
3. Roll Over Beethoven (Saturday Club 1963)
4. The Spider and the Fly (Yeah Yeah 1965)
5. Cops and Robbers (Blues in Rhythm 1964)
6. It's All Over Now (The Joe Loss Pop Show 1964)
7. Route 66 (Blues in Rhythm 1964)
8. Memphis, Tennessee (Saturday Club 1963)
9. Down the Road Apiece (Top Gear 1965)
10. The Last Time (Top Gear 1965)
11. Cry to Me (Saturday Club 1965)
12. Mercy, Mercy (Yeah Yeah 1965)
13. Oh! Baby (We Got a Good Thing Goin') (Saturday Club 1965)
14. Around and Around (Top Gear 1964)
15. Hi Heel Sneakers (Saturday Club 1965)
16. Fannie Mae (Saturday Club 1965)
17. You Better Move On (Blues in Rhythm 1964)
18. Mona (Blues in Rhythm 1964)
19. I Wanna Be Your Man (Saturday Club 1964)
20. Carol (Saturday Club 1964)
21. I'm Moving On (The Joe Loss Pop Show 1964)
22. If You Need Me (The Joe Loss Pop Show 1964)
23. Walking the Dog (Saturday Club 1964)
24. Confessin' the Blues (The Joe Loss Pop Show 1964)
25. Everybody Needs Somebody to Love (Top Gear 1965)
26. Little by Little (The Joe Loss Pop Show 1964)
27. Ain't That Loving You Baby (Rhythm and Blues / BBC World Service 1964)
28. Beautiful Delilah (Saturday Club 1964)
29. Crackin' Up (Top Gear 1964)
30. I Can't Be Satisfied (Top Gear 1964)
31. I Just Want to Make Love to You (Saturday Club 1964)
32. 2120 South Michigan Avenue (Rhythm and Blues / BBC World Service 1964)

The standard edition is just the first 18 tracks.
Don't ask me about the dates, please winking smiley

I do wonder why they chose to do a track list that is not chronological.

For example, the 4 Blues In Rhythm tracks from 1964 are separated in this release. It is a beautiful complete set (with superb stereo sound that was revolutionary at the time) including a DJ announcing the songs. I personally think that nothing beat this 4-song set from the radio or tele appearances. It just looses it's flow, it's power and it's beauty when these songs are separated by others.

I still think the Swingin' Pig release is the best sounding and most enjoyable release (although far from complete).

And it seems that the short little conversations between the songs will not be included in this release, which is a shame really...

Why is it that the Stones is not willing to put out everything that's out there like the Dylan camp does? The Complete(!!!) Basement Tapes even has some really bad sounding demos to satisfy the most hard-core fans... And now that chapter is finally fully closed after decades of waiting.

The from the Vault series is nice, but so far it didn't really include any of the 'holy grails', did it? But it's true: still great to have the Vaults.

The Blues In Rhythms-tracks were officially released in 2012.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 7, 2017 00:36

frenki09
Brussels 1973 is no 'holy grail' for sure winking smiley

Date: October 7, 2017 03:10

TeddyB1018
Come On sounds good on YouTube. I still think the “holy grail” for this sort of thing would be the improved L’Olympia live recordings, especially the 1967.

I recall hearing once that the original concert 1965-1967 recordings (without the broadcast DJ voice overs on the 1966/1967 tracks) still exist, so, yes, a release would be more than welcome. In terms of "holy grail" don't forget the 1964 Radio Luxembourg recordings with rare tracks like Pretty Thing, Reelin' & Rockin' amongst others.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: October 7, 2017 05:44

schwonek
On JPC:

Yellow vinyl 27.99
[www.jpc.de]

Double CD 20,99
[www.jpc.de]

and more...

The e-mail message I got from RollingStones.com claims the yellow vinyl is exclusive to the Stones store. But I guess not if jpc.de has it. I'd rather get it from jpc than from the Stones store given its lousy reputation.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 7, 2017 10:09

Personally, i would have preferred a deluxe version of 'Goats Head Soup' or 'Tattoo You'.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: October 7, 2017 10:35

Awesome! Great news!

Posted by: gipsy12 ()
Date: October 7, 2017 12:03

Roscoe
schwonek
On JPC:

Yellow vinyl 27.99
[www.jpc.de]

Double CD 20,99
[www.jpc.de]

and more...

The e-mail message I got from RollingStones.com claims the yellow vinyl is exclusive to the Stones store. But I guess not if jpc.de has it. I'd rather get it from jpc than from the Stones store given its lousy reputation.

thumbs up just pre-ordered by jpc - limited Deluxe Edition and yellow vinyl Euro 41.15

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-07 12:04 by gipsy12.

Re: On Air CD/Vinyl
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 7, 2017 14:01

TeddyB1018
No word on DVD yet but it’s coming too.

Well all right! Thanks, Teddy, and tell them to get a move on, will you please?
A sssoul *can* wait forever for some freshened-up Stones, but she prefers this lifetime, please :E

Rolling Stones On Air
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 7, 2017 00:27

That's great news.............................

[zaphod.uk.vvhp.net]

Re: Rolling Stones On Air
Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: October 7, 2017 01:23

COOL! Thanks for the good news/link NICOS! smileys with beer

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: October 7, 2017 01:52

I listened to Come On and in the beginning it almost sounds like the studio recording. However, I am not a fan of the audio reprocessing they did to it. One of the bass notes really booms and sounds artificial. It might just be me, I am essentially impossible to please when it comes to audio processing. Turn off your DSP!

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 7, 2017 01:52

I thought this topic was already discussed for 2 days over here.
[iorr.org]
Another Beatles thread winking smiley

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: October 7, 2017 18:10

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 7, 2017 18:23

ironbelly
I thought this topic was already discussed for 2 days over here.
[iorr.org]
Another Beatles thread winking smiley

Your right, I always do a search before posing but noting popped up..........

Re: On Air in the Sixties: New Book, CD and LP by The Rolling Stones
Posted by: rbp ()
Date: October 8, 2017 04:48

Just getting this stuff out before it becomes public domain in Europe.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 8, 2017 11:15

rbp

Pretty certain (the recordings) are already in the Public Domain.
50 years = 2013/15.

Posted by: DECCA61 ()
Date: October 8, 2017 11:21

The Difference between an ON AIR YELLOW 2LP from the stones store or JPC and others is ... the price $ 23.00 or around $ 40.00 from retail sellers ...

Date: October 8, 2017 12:22

jlowe
rbp

50 years = 2013/15.

They are indeed (excluding the Camden Theatre tracks which were part of the 2012 GRRR Super Deluxe Box), and an officially sanctioned release now does not change it: once in public domain, always in public domain.

Date: October 8, 2017 13:19

retired_dog
jlowe
rbp

50 years = 2013/15.

They are indeed (excluding the Camden Theatre tracks which were part of the 2012 GRRR Super Deluxe Box), and an officially sanctioned release now does not change it: once in public domain, always in public domain.

That's probably why they spent time making it sound better. These mixes won't be public domain, I guess..

Date: October 8, 2017 15:50

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
jlowe
rbp

50 years = 2013/15.

That's probably why they spent time making it sound better. These mixes won't be public domain, I guess..

The recordings themselves are in the public domain in many (most?) countries, but the new mixes are protected by existing fair trade laws, depending from country to country, ranging from strong to non-existent, this however depending from what evidence they (Promotone/Universal) could bring to a possible court table how significant their investment in studio work really was to polish the recordings for official release.

Date: October 8, 2017 17:00

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
jlowe
rbp

50 years = 2013/15.

The recordings themselves are in the public domain in many (most?) countries, but the new mixes are protected by existing fair trade laws, depending from country to country, ranging from strong to non-existent, this however depending from what evidence they (Promotone/Universal) could bring to a possible court table how significant their investment in studio work really was to polish the recordings for official release.

That sounds just about correct. Maybe Wild Slivovitz, our own copyright lawyer here on IORR, can shed some light on this?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1884
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home