Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 24
Re: New Book, CD and DVD: 'The Rolling Stones: On Air in the Sixties' due out on September 7
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 5, 2017 14:18

alexander paul
Bol.com from the Netherlands announce three versions of the book, a Dutch translation and two hard covers in English. The most expensive of E 42,99 should have 2 Dvd's. Can this be true?

Alex.

No, it says it will tie in with a double DVD. This means the DVD will be separate, as will the album they mention.
Jeroen

Re: New Book, CD and DVD: 'The Rolling Stones: On Air in the Sixties' due out on September 7
Posted by: alexander paul ()
Date: August 5, 2017 14:23

OK. But what can be the reason of the different releases/prices at Bol.com?

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: August 5, 2017 14:33

alexander paul
Earlier from amazon italy
Editore: Virgin Books (7 settembre 2017)
Lingua: Inglese
ISBN-10: 075355755X
ISBN-13: 978-0753557556
Peso di spedizione: 789 g
EUR 36,44

Editore: Harper Design Intl (26 settembre 2017)
ISBN-10: 0062471317
ISBN-13: 978-0062471314
Peso di spedizione: 649 g
EUR 43,73

Virgin Books - EU edition
Harper Design Intl - US edition
Different paper quality, probably, + import taxes.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: August 8, 2017 11:35

ironbelly
alexander paul
Earlier from amazon italy
Editore: Virgin Books (7 settembre 2017)
ISBN-10: 075355755X
ISBN-13: 978-0753557556
Peso di spedizione: 789 g
EUR 36,44

Editore: Harper Design Intl (26 settembre 2017)
ISBN-10: 0062471317
ISBN-13: 978-0062471314
Peso di spedizione: 649 g
EUR 43,73

Virgin Books - EU edition
Harper Design Intl - US edition
Different paper quality, probably, + import taxes.

Same thing here in Germany BUT nearly the same price (27,49€ vs. 27,99€) I don't know which one I should order. I don't think they will include a CD/DVD with this book. This must be a separate release.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 8, 2017 16:34

No definite mention of an album (yet?).
A bit strange. And which record label would it be on?

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 8, 2017 23:11

jlowe
No definite mention of an album (yet?).
A bit strange. And which record label would it be on?

And no word from ABKCO yet... Not a good sign, could very well be that the album/CD will be just another rehash from one of these small "expired copyrights"-labels.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 8, 2017 23:32

Not likely if they're allowed to use the lapping tongue logo. This is the 1960s archival release mentioned earlier this year by the French fan site. I would think a delayed release date for the CD is more likely, but who knows...we could get a track listing tomorrow.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 8, 2017 23:53

Maybe the CD/DVD will be released later this year because of the Fonda show coming in at the end of September...

Date: August 9, 2017 00:11

Rocky Dijon
Not likely if they're allowed to use the lapping tongue logo. This is the 1960s archival release mentioned earlier this year by the French fan site. I would think a delayed release date for the CD is more likely, but who knows...we could get a track listing tomorrow.

Hopefully... maybe ABKCO's just concentrating on their Satanic Majesties 50th Anniversary release and want that to get out of their system first.

Date: August 9, 2017 01:36

Is it a forgone conclusion that its an ABKCO release?
I would have thought the BBC own the copyright to the radio broadcasts.

Date: August 9, 2017 02:31

The BBC does own its own copyrights in most cases. When the tracks from "Rhythm and Blues" were included on the SUPER DELUXE (I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU PAID THIS MUCH FOR A GORILLA WITH MICK'S TONGUE) EDITION of GRRR, was there any notice of copyright for the BBC? I believe somewhere (probably back in the mid-1990s when ICE reported THE BBC SESSIONS was next on ABKCO's list) money changed hands and ABKCO likely acquired the masters from the BBC.

Date: August 9, 2017 02:44

Rocky Dijon
The BBC does own its own copyrights in most cases. When the tracks from "Rhythm and Blues" were included on the SUPER DELUXE (I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU PAID THIS MUCH FOR A GORILLA WITH MICK'S TONGUE) EDITION of GRRR, was there any notice of copyright for the BBC? I believe somewhere (probably back in the mid-1990s when ICE reported THE BBC SESSIONS was next on ABKCO's list) money changed hands and ABKCO likely acquired the masters from the BBC.

That would have turned those tracks effectively into unreleased ABKCO tracks and as such the BBC would not have featured them in their regular Stonest At The BBC programmes anymore.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-09 02:47 by retired_dog.

Date: August 9, 2017 03:09

jlowe
Is it a forgone conclusion that its an ABKCO release?
I would have thought the BBC own the copyright to the radio broadcasts.

Let's say you legally (with their permission) recorded the Stones live at the Hollywood Bowl in 1966:

- You would own the copyrights to the actual recording (just like the BBC to their recordings). That means that neither the Stones nor ABKCO could release your recording of this show without your agreement.

- But releasing your recording of this Stones show on your own would still require an agreement with a) the band and b) ABKCO because it falls in the timeline of their exclusive recording contract.

In the same way the BBC can't release their Stones recordings on their own, they would need agreements with the band and ABKCO as their exclusive record company at the time.

So for external recordings like the BBC stuff there's always three parties involved that all would have come to an agreement.

This is not necessary, however, when certain material has fallen out of copyright into the public domain.

Date: August 9, 2017 15:37

The thing is we know the set includes the two Musicorama appearances which were not the BBC. This is a compilation of BBC and non-BBC appearances. I never picked up the super deluxe GRRR to get the vinyl tracks officially that I already had on bootleg so I don't know if the BBC were listed for the inclusion of the "Rhythm and Blues" material (they have broadcast them since the mid-1990s, I believe). In any event, the Stones and ABKCO had crossed this bridge once before and the tracks weren't public domain in 2012.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-09 15:37 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 9, 2017 16:15

Rocky Dijon
The thing is we know the set includes the two Musicorama appearances which were not the BBC. This is a compilation of BBC and non-BBC appearances. I never picked up the super deluxe GRRR to get the vinyl tracks officially that I already had on bootleg so I don't know if the BBC were listed for the inclusion of the "Rhythm and Blues" material (they have broadcast them since the mid-1990s, I believe). In any event, the Stones and ABKCO had crossed this bridge once before and the tracks weren't public domain in 2012.

The tracks were licensed to ABKCO and Promotone by the BBC

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: August 9, 2017 22:52

Yes, Ive checked Discogs site for The Beatles and Led Zep's BBC albums.
In both cases the BBC hold the 'phonographic copyright' and have leased it to the record companies.
I believe both of the above were very successful.
With The Stones: left a bit too late perhaps?

Date: August 10, 2017 22:37

Thank you, Deltics.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 11, 2017 04:25

The description I read on Amazon does not seem to indicate the book has a DVD with it

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 24, 2017 17:08

Mojo magazine - October 2017

Date: August 31, 2017 21:48

Press release from RollingStones.com without any mention of DVD or CD/LP.

THE ROLLING STONES: ON AIR IN THE SIXTIES
Out this September is a brand-new book for your collection.

The Rolling Stones: On Air in the Sixties is a unique chronicle of the band’s rise to fame during the 1960s. It begins with a letter the BBC received from Brian Jones in January 1963, politely requesting an audition for “The Rollin’ Stones Rhythm and Blues Band,” and ends with the story of the group’s performance of “Let It Bleed” for BBC’s end-of-the-decade celebration program “Ten Years of What”.

Rammed full of glossy photos exploring the band’s television and radio broadcasts from this iconic era, this hardback is a fascinating read for any Stones fan.

Out September 21st UK
Out September 26th US
Out September 26th NETHERLANDS

[www.rollingstones.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-01 08:59 by Cristiano Radtke.

Date: September 1, 2017 00:17

Maybe that The Stones/The BBC/ABKCO cannot agree on how any profits are to be shared.
So, no change really.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: September 8, 2017 15:05

Small preview from Amazon

HMN

Date: September 8, 2017 15:23

Thanks, Honestman! smileys with beer

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: September 8, 2017 21:53

Different preview pictures from Dutch publisher Kosmos

[www.boekdb.nl]

Date: September 9, 2017 04:55

Lien
Different preview pictures from Dutch publisher Kosmos

[www.boekdb.nl]

Absolutely GRRRReat! Thanks, Lien! smileys with beer

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 9, 2017 19:25

Where's word of the DVD? That's all that matters.

Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: September 11, 2017 04:02

I pre ordered mine on Amazon USA March 17th. Been checking constantly since for the DVD and album release. Nothing so far.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 17, 2017 00:59

Sigh: Too much monkey business!
I'll order it when it's clear what's up with the DVD and CD.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: September 21, 2017 15:17

According to the Stones app, the book is out today.

Date: September 21, 2017 15:35

Harlem Shuffler
According to the Stones app, the book is out today.

Yup!

"Out today is On Air the book, which tells the story of the Stones and their rise to prominence in the 60's! [t.co];

[twitter.com]

And someone already have it:

[twitter.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1887
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home