Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 24
On Air in the Sixties: New Book, CD and LP by The Rolling Stones
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 6, 2017 19:48

This new official book tells the story, for the first time, of the Stones through their many radio and TV appearances as they rose to fame in the sixties.

From their first TV appearance on Thank Your Lucky Stars!, buttoned up in matching hounds-tooth suits at manager Andrew Loog Oldham's insistence, to the louche rockers who appeared on stage for the televised free concert in London's Hyde Park in 1969, this book looks back at their career-defining broadcasts, remembering the music, the clothes, the fans, the rivals and friends, and the world at large around them, divided by generation between broad-sheet moral panic and hysterical teen riots.

Featuring previously unseen facsimile documents from the BBC and commercial TV and radio archives and many stunning unseen images, this is history as it happened, in context, immediate and vivid, offering new insights and a fresh unexplored perspective on the story of one of the greatest great rock 'n' roll bands the world has ever seen.

[www.penguin.co.uk]

EDIT (October 5):

From Amazon:

Vinyl Version

CD

Double CD

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-07 21:01 by bv.

Re: New Book: 'The Rolling Stones: On Air in the Sixties' due out on September 7
Posted by: MrsEdithGrove ()
Date: July 6, 2017 21:27

Looks good.

Surely it must be a tie-in to release stuff officially. There's lots of grey market items on Amazon.

Re: New Book: 'The Rolling Stones: On Air in the Sixties' due out on September 7
Posted by: MrsEdithGrove ()
Date: July 6, 2017 21:47

Ah looks like there is an album too

[www.nme.com]

Date: July 6, 2017 21:50

MrsEdithGrove

[www.nme.com]

Even better! smileys with beer

Date: July 6, 2017 21:54

Cristiano Radtke
MrsEdithGrove

[www.nme.com]

Even better! smileys with beer

And a DVD as well:

"The companion DVD will feature “recently discovered, never-before-released footage of the Stones on TV, in front of and behind the cameras.”

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 6, 2017 22:26

If all this comes to be it's about time!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: July 6, 2017 22:33

Are we sure that this is an official release? After all, Bill isn't airbrushed out of the picture. confused smiley eye popping smiley

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 6, 2017 22:43

Roscoe
Are we sure that this is an official release? After all, Bill isn't airbrushed out of the picture. confused smiley eye popping smiley

When you see the prices for the book, the expanded version (book w/cd), the deluxe version (book w/dvd), the expanded deluxe version (book w/cd & dvd) and the super-ultra-collectors edition (w/cd, dvd & authentic 1960's era transistor radio) you'll know for sure that it's an official release.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: July 6, 2017 22:43

Would this be the live compilation album?

Date: July 6, 2017 22:48

DandelionPowderman
Would this be the live compilation album?

It makes sense. thumbs up

EDIT: I think this book/CD/DVD could be the 60's release mentioned on the Sympathy for the Devils website article from 13 April which mentions a 60's release, the Fonda gig and a live album.

"Aussi attendu, le théâtre Fonda, qui n’a pour le moment donné lieu qu’à une sortie audio partielle, serait enfin programmé pour cette année en DVD et Blu Ray. Les sixties seront également à l’honneur, en audio et vidéo. Et pour finir, côté CD live, Eagle nous réserve de très bonnes surprises avant l’été..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-06 23:53 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: July 7, 2017 01:29

Great news if truth

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 7, 2017 02:10

....Tuff news .... should be great ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 7, 2017 02:37

Woohoo!!!

Date: July 7, 2017 03:13

I hope this isn't spoiled by making it in to documentary form on the DVD, we don't need today's celebs giving their opinions on this stuff etc.

Let the original footage play and breath.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 7, 2017 03:26

Cautiously optimistic on this one. Many of those appearances were lip-synched and are available on youtube. Book looks interesting.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 7, 2017 03:48

His Majesty
I hope this isn't spoiled by making it in to documentary form on the DVD, we don't need today's celebs giving their opinions on this stuff etc.

No kidding. We don't need a bunch of talking heads telling us what to think about the Stones. Just footage. And if they do it right, and the footage is mimed, they'll sync it up to the master recordings so it will at least be enjoyable, instead of 1960s TV mono.

Date: July 7, 2017 04:23

24FPS
His Majesty

No kidding. We don't need a bunch of talking heads telling us what to think about the Stones. Just footage. And if they do it right, and the footage is mimed, they'll sync it up to the master recordings so it will at least be enjoyable, instead of 1960s TV mono.

I'd rather have original audio too.... sometimes it's live, or atleast with live vocals. tongue sticking out smiley

Date: July 7, 2017 04:28

24FPS
His Majesty

some of the guests on stones in exile were just pointless

Re: New Book, CD and DVD: 'The Rolling Stones: On Air in the Sixties' due out on September 7
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 7, 2017 05:32

YEAH just ...rubbish ..padding ... The Don Was part in the extras was good ...

ROCKMAN

Re: New Book, CD and DVD: 'The Rolling Stones: On Air in the Sixties' due out on September 7
Date: July 7, 2017 06:31

Rockman

YEAH just ...rubbish ..padding ... The Don Was part in the extras was good ...

he was good. i'll say jack white was ok. the rest sounded like pure idiots especially the country singing guy who I forgot his name. just sounded like an idiot. at least Sheryl crow had played with the stones

Date: July 7, 2017 07:15

His Majesty
24FPS
His Majesty

I'd rather have original audio too.... sometimes it's live, or atleast with live vocals. tongue sticking out smiley

Quite a lot of it is live.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 7, 2017 08:26

Looking forward to this, or should I say looking backward/forward.
Seems all of the best stuff they release these days is actually old. I think Exile On Main Street (Deluxe Edition) in 2010 might have been the beginning of the trend? Since then we've had Some Girls deluxe, Mono box set, lots of classic live stuff (Brussels), etc. etc. Glad they keep digging deep - there was a time when I wish they would have done a Beatles style Anthology (and that still would be great), but with nuggets like this, can't complain.

Date: July 7, 2017 08:49

Wasn't Ya Yas first?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 7, 2017 09:09

DandelionPowderman
Wasn't Ya Yas first?

Yeah I wasn't sure and was just guessing, but now looking up dates Ya Ya's Deluxe came out in November 2009 followed by Exile Deluxe in May 2010 - only half a year later.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 7, 2017 13:07

I was wondering after Brian Jones passed away and Mick Taylor came on board if there was ever comments or quotes or even an interview with Andrew Loog Oldham on the new direction of the band with the new guitarist on board and the start of the most fertile and most golden period of the Stones .Penny for his thoughts since he was there from the early days ?

Date: July 7, 2017 14:17

TheGreek
I was wondering after Brian Jones passed away and Mick Taylor came on board if there was ever comments or quotes or even an interview with Andrew Loog Oldham on the new direction of the band with the new guitarist on board and the start of the most fertile and most golden period of the Stones .Penny for his thoughts since he was there from the early days ?

ALO produced them during that period. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: July 7, 2017 17:57

Seems it might be a BBC documentary. Uh oh. grinning smiley

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 7, 2017 18:01

Another weird thing just appeared at Hoffman's forum
The Rolling Stones
Their Satanic Majest
LP
ROCK
ABKCO 50021
UPC: 018771500216
Release Date: 9/22/2017
LIST PRICE: $89.98
[www.bullmoose.com]

What is it, anyway? A bit too much for a single LP even for ABKCO, isn't it?

Date: July 7, 2017 18:05

TSMR 50th. Newly added vocals would be a hoot. grinning smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 7, 2017 18:22

ironbelly
Another weird thing just appeared at Hoffman's forum
The Rolling Stones
Their Satanic Majest
LP
ROCK
ABKCO 50021
UPC: 018771500216
Release Date: 9/22/2017
LIST PRICE: $89.98
[www.bullmoose.com]

What is it, anyway? A bit too much for a single LP even for ABKCO, isn't it?

The long-awaited Satanic Sessions in 5 CD format with the promised 20 takes of Gomper. Yay - it's party time. >grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-07 18:22 by Silver Dagger.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1865
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home