Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5152535455565758596061Next
Current Page: 60 of 61
Re: Mick Jagger "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost"
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 18, 2020 01:01

ROCKMAN

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-18 01:03 by Rockman.

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: August 18, 2020 01:22

I agree with you as always Rockman-all it needs is a Keith riff and you got a Stones song.

Loved the remix. Made me go back and listen to the original which I liked but haven’t listened to since it came out. Appreciated the original more than remembered. Back in the playlist.

Date: August 18, 2020 01:26

Okay Joe .... but its probably not
a good idea that we go to the brothel tagether .....HHHaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 18, 2020 02:10

Rockman

thumbs up

Date: August 18, 2020 03:47

I have never listened to any of this. I saw somewhere that there were hardly any sales and the first couple of reviews I read were not very positive so I just skipped over it.

60 pages later I wonder if I missed anything?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 18, 2020 03:48

Depends on who you ask georgemcdonnell314 - I'd say you haven't missed a thing.

Date: August 18, 2020 05:17

georgemcdonnell314
I have never listened to any of this. I saw somewhere that there were hardly any sales and the first couple of reviews I read were not very positive so I just skipped over it.

And why don't you just listen to the tracks? Slow internet connection?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-18 07:28 by retired_dog.

Re: Gotta get a grip - kevin Parker remix
Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: August 18, 2020 14:46

Captainchaos
This is brilliant [m.youtube.com]

For those who’ve wondered what we’re talking about.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 18, 2020 16:20

They’re both crap. Too slick, yet also cluttered. And Keith’s guitar would only add more clutter. Jagger’s vocal’s also sound wrong. Too produced and pronounced.

Rod

Date: August 18, 2020 16:57

bitusa2012
They’re both crap. Too slick, yet also cluttered. And Keith’s guitar would only add more clutter. Jagger’s vocal’s also sound wrong. Too produced and pronounced.

[m.youtube.com] - this is too slick?!?
have you listened to this version, i only ask as its clearly not slick or to produced.

If you mean Jaggers version, id agree.
But we're talking about the Kevin Parker version.
There was a new thread for Kevin Parkers version and that thread then got merged with this older one (probably for good housekeeping i imagine)

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 18, 2020 17:21

retired_dog
georgemcdonnell314

I wish my internet crashed before I listened to them.

Re: Gotta get a grip - kevin Parker remix
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 19, 2020 02:29

Doxa
Rockman
Hey Doxa .....

You mentioned a couple of days ago that you've been in hospital

Here's hoping everything is okay ..... ,

Take Care & Stay Safe ole son .....

I am rather okay - had a bicicle accident about two weeks ago, spent some time in hospital etc. But back at home now, trying to get easy for upcoming two weeks, but a great opportunity just to listen the Stones and other great shit, man...

Thanks for asking! Still alive and well... (hmm.. need to listen that "Silver Train" version now)

- Doxa

Spending time in a hospital because of a bike accident is pretty bad! Damn. Glad you're doing better.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 19, 2020 06:06

Captainchaos
bitusa2012

have you listened to this version, i only ask as its clearly not slick or to produced.

There was a new thread for Kevin Parkers version and that thread then got merged with this older one (probably for good housekeeping i imagine)

Both versions are awful. JUST because it’s Jagger and/or The Stones, artists I have adored since 1964, doesn’t mean I have to like them. And these, I don’t. Neither do I care for Scarlet. Living in a ghost Town and Cross Cross I do like. Each track on its merits. But Grip and Lost ... not for me.

Rod

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 19, 2020 06:12

Maybe Keith figured it was just another Might As Well Get Juiced and figured, Not this time, pal.

Although I do like England Lost of the two. Gotta Get A Grip is dumb.

Date: August 19, 2020 20:13

bitusa2012
Captainchaos
bitusa2012

Both versions are awful. JUST because it’s Jagger and/or The Stones, artists I have adored since 1964, doesn’t mean I have to like them. And these, I don’t. Neither do I care for Scarlet. Living in a ghost Town and Cross Cross I do like. Each track on its merits. But Grip and Lost ... not for me.

Fair enough if you don’t like them and I agree with the sentiment you give in your last post re not having to like just because you follow them.

But your first comment implies to me you listened to the mick Jagger version which is slick and over produced.

But I’d say it’s a great Jagger vocal performance.
And when it sits on Tame Impala styled guitars, And a phat scruffy Tame Impala beat In this KevinParker mix, it sounds great and a lot fresher than most stuff I’ve heard from the stones for years.

Living in a ghost towns a nice tune with nice subtle production. But it’s done to a click track @ sounds flat.

I think the Kevin Parker gotta get a grip thread shouldn’t have been merged to this old one really, it’s just Muddied the waters and getting people commenting on the original version rather than the remix.

Date: August 19, 2020 20:20

I have high speed internet. I could just vacuum the house if I wanted to hear noise. And after reading the reviews on here I will just not bother to listen to them.
They would have had radio play if they were any decent. We heard Ghost Town regularly at work when it first came out but neither of these two songs if you can call them songs.

retired_dog
georgemcdonnell314

Date: August 19, 2020 20:35

Captainchaos

I think the Kevin Parker gotta get a grip thread shouldn’t have been merged to this old one really, it’s just Muddied the waters and getting people commenting on the original version rather than the remix.

But since there were multiple remixes of Getta Grip (four or five?), should there be a separate thread for each and every one of them?
I suppose multiple threads couldn't hurt, but seems one thread is more than enough...just like the Scarlet thread with the multiples versions/remixes', etc,.

Anyhow, here's an old review from Spin magazine of the Kevin Parker remix of Getta Grip, along with the and Skepta remix of England Lost:

Skepta and Kevin Parker Can’t Breathe Life Into Mick Jagger’s New Solo Songs

" He (Parker) provides one of several remixes to “Gotta Get a Grip,” sanding down the overly busy original to an appealing minimalist sheen.
Like everything Parker touches, the remix sounds great, but his signature filtered guitar tones can’t save Jagger’s uninspired observations, which touch on ISIS,
acupuncture, “metadata scams,” and the notion that “the news is all fake.” It’s hard to argue with any of it, but that’s only because the
“everything is f*cked” point he’s trying to drive home is so obvious. It’s a lot better than “England Lost,” but that isn’t saying much".

Basically the same conclusion I posted a couple days ago - musically sounds good, but might have been better without the vocals and silly lyrics.

Date: August 19, 2020 21:32

I'm terribly sorry,
I seem to have ran into your bike ......

ROCKMAN

Date: August 19, 2020 23:11

georgemcdonnell314
I have high speed internet. I could just vacuum the house if I wanted to hear noise. And after reading the reviews on here I will just not bother to listen to them.
They would have had radio play if they were any decent. We heard Ghost Town regularly at work when it first came out but neither of these two songs if you can call them songs.

retired_dog
georgemcdonnell314

If prefer to form my own opinion by just listening at least once instead of spending more or less the same time reading reviews and letting them tell me what I should listen to and what not, but to each their own - no matter how weird it appears to me.

Date: August 19, 2020 23:17

Hairball
Captainchaos

But since there were multiple remixes of Getta Grip (four or five?), should there be a separate thread for each and every one of them?
I suppose multiple threads couldn't hurt, but seems one thread is more than enough...just like the Scarlet thread with the multiples versions/remixes', etc,.

Anyhow, here's an old review from Spin magazine of the Kevin Parker remix of Getta Grip, along with the and Skepta remix of England Lost:

Skepta and Kevin Parker Can’t Breathe Life Into Mick Jagger’s New Solo Songs

" He (Parker) provides one of several remixes to “Gotta Get a Grip,” sanding down the overly busy original to an appealing minimalist sheen.
Like everything Parker touches, the remix sounds great, but his signature filtered guitar tones can’t save Jagger’s uninspired observations, which touch on ISIS,
acupuncture, “metadata scams,” and the notion that “the news is all fake.” It’s hard to argue with any of it, but that’s only because the
“everything is f*cked” point he’s trying to drive home is so obvious. It’s a lot better than “England Lost,” but that isn’t saying much".

Basically the same conclusion I posted a couple days ago - musically sounds good, but might have been better without the vocals and silly lyrics.

It always feels good to have at least someone by one's side, even better when it's an unfailable expert from Spin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-19 23:24 by retired_dog.

Date: August 20, 2020 00:31

Spin ..... does that magazine still exist ???????

ROCKMAN

Date: August 20, 2020 00:52

The writer of that review - Andy Cush - is just as knowledgeable and as big of a Stone fanatic as most here, not to mention his many credentials, experience, and the respect he has earned as a young professional writer.
He was a senior writer for Spin, and is now a writer and contributor for Pitchfork (among other publications), and whether one agrees with him or not, you gotta give credit and respect where it's due.
Here's an in depth look back at Tattoo You that he wrote last year (Tattoo You ). Clearly he's a fan of the Rolling Stones, and the details of his review shows he's very knowledgeable about the history of the band.

Date: August 20, 2020 03:49

Hairball
The writer of that review - Andy Cush - is just as knowledgeable and as big of a Stone fanatic as most here, not to mention his many credentials, experience, and the respect he has earned as a young professional writer.
He was a senior writer for Spin, and is now a writer and contributor for Pitchfork (among other publications), and whether one agrees with him or not, you gotta give credit and respect where it's due.
Here's an in depth look back at Tattoo You that he wrote last year (Tattoo You ). Clearly he's a fan of the Rolling Stones, and the details of his review shows he's very knowledgeable about the history of the band.

Read that before, yes, a good one, indeed.

Still, no review can substitute one's own listening experience (this to georgemcdonnell314), this is from my experience of having read tons of positive reviews when the actual albums didn't do anything for me and vice versa.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-20 03:52 by retired_dog.

Date: August 20, 2020 03:50

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-20 03:51 by retired_dog.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: September 22, 2022 16:49

1 up for all these remixes. This sh*t works just great.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 22, 2022 16:52

I would like to take this opportunity to announce that I refuse to listen to any of Mick's solo material. (Keith's is another matter)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 22, 2022 17:19

Topi
I would like to take this opportunity to announce that I refuse to listen to any of Mick's solo material. (Keith's is another matter)

Whew, that certainly allows me to sleep better.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 22, 2022 17:20

Has there been a physical (CD or LP) release of the remixes? I have the original Double A-Side of these two songs, but I wasn't aware that there were remixes...

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 22, 2022 17:25

treaclefingers
Topi

Whew, that certainly allows me to sleep better.

My pleasure!

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: September 22, 2022 17:35

Nikkei
1 up for all these remixes. This sh*t works just great.

Yes, they are great.
I hope we will have stuff like "Gotta get a grip" when we finally get the new Stones-album (and hopefully just one Keith-vocal-track - or none as on Blue and lonesome...).

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5152535455565758596061Next
Current Page: 60 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1583
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home