Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5152535455565758596061Next
Current Page: 57 of 61
Re: Mick Jagger "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost"
Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 10, 2017 06:25

this remix is really good.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 10, 2017 06:32

Rockman
....na na . still wanna hear Iggy cover Streets of Luv ....

I couldn't think of anyone worse than Amex's current fave singer Iggy Azalea doing a cover of ANY Stones tune..... ;-)

Rod

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 10, 2017 21:58

England Lost is really growing on me. I dig it a lot more than when I first heard it.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: October 12, 2017 02:26

LongBeachArena72

I think it's been expressed elsewhere on the board over the years but this discussion gets to why I believe there are fewer Stones covers -- and certainly fewer memorable covers -- than there are of, say, Beatles tunes: the songs just aren't as good as their performances. Take away the alchemy of the band and you're left with ... something not quite as good as it first appeared to be.

I agree completely. To use your example, almost anybody can cover a Beatles tune and it will sound OK, because the songs themselves are good in the abstract. With the Stones, Mick and Keith somehow wrote material that was absolutely perfect for the Rolling Stones, and pretty much useless for anyone else.

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: October 29, 2017 02:14

Just listened again today while cleaning, even my husband who is critical of solo works (jagger/Richards) said it's pretty good. The lyrics work in both songs and address issues today- it's as if most of music is asleep to the world. It's odd though the Stones never connected the dots so clearly as Jagger does, even mentioning current events.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-29 02:15 by Librarian.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: October 29, 2017 02:56

England Lost has got great lyrics, but shite music.

Shame Mick did not wait till Keith was ready for this one as a STONES song.

A missed opportunity (regarding the NEW STONES 2018 album),

But who cares? Mick's got plenty of lyrics at the back of his hand.

This one for instance: [youtu.be]

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: October 29, 2017 09:27

RipThisBone

Shame Mick? Keith didn’t want to play on these songs, I’ve heard.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 29, 2017 09:31

BowieStone
RipThisBone

Shame Mick? Keith didn’t want to play on these songs, I’ve heard.

Yes. Probably because of the music. Overdubbing on Mick’s pre-produced demos will never really sound like the Stones.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: October 29, 2017 10:26

Got the 12" and CD version months ago, but still sealed!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 29, 2017 14:58

ouroux58

You don't know what you've missed so far, son!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 21, 2017 13:08

This must have been posted elsewhere already but this is what Keith had to say about GGAG and EL in Mojo...great communication within the band !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-21 13:08 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: December 21, 2017 14:57

retired_dog
ouroux58

You don't know what you've missed so far, son!

Had a listen yesterday, for sure, it was the first and the last time. Imagination, creativity are gone. It was the same for bowie but at one time he released "Heathen" which was a great album.
Don't expect a new Sticky or Exile, all these years are over! They have to use Ronnie as a songwriter, he is better than Jagger/Richards now!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 21, 2017 16:28

gotdablouse
This must have been posted elsewhere already but this is what Keith had to say about GGAG and EL in Mojo...great communication within the band !

Thank you for sharing that. Long suspected. Nice to have it confirmed. Revvy will love this.

Date: December 21, 2017 16:38

Sure ! The lack of apparent communication is pretty bewildering isn't it...so Keith makes an off-hand remark in the studio, possibly when they "hit the wall" (or in February when they got together ?) then somehow Mick and Clifford get to talking with UMG and they release them. Then they get together for the NF rehearsals and they have this little conversation ? Let's be honest, these guys are completely estranged, isolated from one another by their huge egos. So sad...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: December 21, 2017 16:55

While I agree with egos and estrangement, I suspect Mick throwing it back at Keith saying "I did what you told me to do" was a way of defusing the situation. I'm sure Mick and Universal had discussions. Charlie and Ronnie must have known they were now playing on a Mick solo single and Don Was had to have been informed since he's not the producer. These went from potential Stones tracks to a solo single by April and I tend to believe the purpose was still to test the waters by Universal. We've heard there are similar sounding tracks in the offing. Had this been a big hit, it might have changed the direction of the album. They have a lot of potential material. Dozens of new songs from Mick, some Keith songs, and leftovers Don Was would like to release. Add to that the potential for different arrangements and versions of many of these songs and you can understand why settling on which 15 songs is a trick.

Date: December 21, 2017 18:47

That's a good point, and it can only be good news that these two horrible tracks, possibly Mick's poorest "musical" efforts ever, attracted zero interest across the board.

Still I can't see much good coming out of a project where Keith is "floating around", reduced to making quips. And yes he's probably brought it upon himself by having very little to offer in the way of material since the B2B sessions and generally being happy to make a nuisance of himself (boozing, drugs, the bio, etc...).

--------------

Date: December 21, 2017 19:35

I don't like either one AT ALL

Good news is if there ever is a new album they wont be on it!

Date: December 21, 2017 19:56

I'll take either of these two any day over "Charmed Life."

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: December 21, 2017 19:57

Rocky Dijon
While I agree with egos and estrangement, I suspect Mick throwing it back at Keith saying "I did what you told me to do" was a way of defusing the situation. I'm sure Mick and Universal had discussions. Charlie and Ronnie must have known they were now playing on a Mick solo single and Don Was had to have been informed since he's not the producer. These went from potential Stones tracks to a solo single by April and I tend to believe the purpose was still to test the waters by Universal. We've heard there are similar sounding tracks in the offing. Had this been a big hit, it might have changed the direction of the album. They have a lot of potential material. Dozens of new songs from Mick, some Keith songs, and leftovers Don Was would like to release. Add to that the potential for different arrangements and versions of many of these songs and you can understand why settling on which 15 songs is a trick.

I really like Gotta Get a Grip (and all the different mixes) - it is a shame that it didn't become a hit. I still hope that they will include some of the stuff from this direction on the forthcoming album.

Date: December 21, 2017 20:05

It might, but it probably won't be promoted as the single whereas if Mick had a hit, it might have been the obvious direction. As it is, I suspect BLUE AND LONESOME and the direction Keith has mentioned mean sticking to something more traditional and less experimental. They're rapidly approaching the compromise stage so wait and see what happens. Give and take between the two super egos.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 21, 2017 20:15

gotdablouse

Thanks Keef...Gotta Get a Grip and England Lost are poor songs.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 21, 2017 20:21

gotdablouse
That's a good point, and it can only be good news that these two horrible tracks, possibly Mick's poorest "musical" efforts ever, attracted zero interest across the board.

Still I can't see much good coming out of a project where Keith is "floating around", reduced to making quips. And yes he's probably brought it upon himself by having very little to offer in the way of material since the B2B sessions and generally being happy to make a nuisance of himself (boozing, drugs, the bio, etc...).

If you had read on this page of the thread before your own post, you might have discovered that your indication in the quote was a little unprecise.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 21, 2017 20:26

gotdablouse

Ooohh nice - looking forward to hearing Keith's contribution to the Buddy Guy album - can't think of a better collaboration. The riffmaster meets the lead guitar legend.
They might have a future together - The Guy/Richards Band. thumbs upwinking smiley

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: December 21, 2017 20:56

Those Jagger solo songs were horrible

Date: December 21, 2017 21:39

Yeah Keith certainly feels 100x closer to Buddy Guy than to Mick these days (probably for 30+ years actually) but he plays theaters, not stadiums ;-)

Rocky Dijon

Ah yes, that was another masterpiece. I'm a sucker for pretty much anything he's put out but what was he thinking with these three "tracks" (ok let's throw in "What Kind of World is This" for good measure) as they really can't be described as "songs", there's no melody, no structure, just some random riffing and ad libbing. How on earth could he think anyone would be remotely interested ? Really shows how much he's out of touch and is surrounded by "yes" men, Clifford, whoever's still left at UMG...ah well except Keith, hehe. I mean I'm all for innovation and am really fond of B2B, including "Juiced", but you still need a friggin' song in the first place.

--------------

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 21, 2017 22:23

gotdablouse
Yeah Keith certainly feels 100x closer to Buddy Guy than to Mick these days (probably for 30+ years actually) but he plays theaters, not stadiums ;-)

Rocky Dijon

Ah yes, that was another masterpiece. I'm a sucker for pretty much anything he's put out but what was he thinking with these three "tracks" (ok let's throw in "What Kind of World is This" for good measure) as they really can't be described as "songs", there's no melody, no structure, just some random riffing and ad libbing. How on earth could he think anyone would be remotely interested ? Really shows how much he's out of touch and is surrounded by "yes" men, Clifford, whoever's still left at UMG...ah well except Keith, hehe. I mean I'm all for innovation and am really fond of B2B, including "Juiced", but you still need a friggin' song in the first place.

thumbs up
I add another Mick's masterpiece: "I can't take it no more" from Superheavy. Horrible.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: December 21, 2017 23:02

Very poor stuff

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 22, 2017 00:13

mmmmm Keith back with Buddy Guy.

Keith also played on The Price You Gotta Pay from Buddy's 2005 album Bring 'Em In ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 22, 2017 05:00

GetYerAngie
Rocky Dijon

I really like Gotta Get a Grip (and all the different mixes) - it is a shame that it didn't become a hit. I still hope that they will include some of the stuff from this direction on the forthcoming album.

I am one who share your hope, GetYerAngie, that some material from broadly this direction will be included on that album.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 22, 2017 21:36

gotdablouse

Looking forward to the Richards/Buddy Guy collaboration.!!
Jeroen

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5152535455565758596061Next
Current Page: 57 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1798
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home