Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4546474849505152535455...LastNext
Current Page: 50 of 61
Re: Mick Jagger "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost"
Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 12, 2017 00:02

georgelicks
retired_dog
It would be interesting to know how many copies "Plundered My Soul" and "No Sparts" sold in comparison as both were promoted as new Stones singles back in the day.

The US Hot Singles Sales is an outdated chart for about 10+ years now, physical singles are very rare and they sell next to nothing: you need 1,500 copies sold to be #1 there and about 120-150 copies to make the Top 15.

Plundered My Soul debuted at #2 with 2,000 copies sold, No Spare Parts also reached #2 selling 2k, Doom And Gloom reached #11, Brown Sugar's re-issue also #2, Satisfaction's re-issue from 2015 was #1 with 1.3k and Ride Em On Down was #4 selling 900 copies last December.

Plundered My Soul, Doom and Gloom and Ride 'Em On Down were way more pupular on the digital/airplay area than the others releases.

Thanks a lot georgelicks for these numbers which add some perspective to the recent "Mick falling flat on his face"-here recently. Should some people give some food for thought but as I can see they're quiet now.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: August 12, 2017 00:45

MonkeyMan2000
stone4ever
MonkeyMan2000
Another great one with Mick on slide: [www.youtube.com]

I guess we should just be grateful that these guys play in the same band. I can't understand how someone can be a fan of a band and at the same time completely disregard the abilities the front man has ("find him some maracas"). How can you hate a great musician that plays in your favorite band so much?

Its called having a sense of humor, its not hate is it. How dare you accuse me of hating Mick. How dare Misterddd call me a troll.
I don't think we need Mick playing guitar in this band, the other three guitarists have it covered imho. Mick was a phenomenal showman and singer song writer, i just don't think he shines as a guitar player, always looks a bit
amateurish to me.

Do we have a problem with my opinion again. I am not being offensive to anyone or calling anyone a troll. This is bullying.

I'm sorry for not getting the humor (probably a language barrier thing, English is not my main language). I wouldn't call you a troll and I'm certainly not trying to bully you. But I have to admit the constant Mick bashing gets on my nerves and I'm certainly not the only one. But I guess that's just us having different opinions. Sorry.

Not to worry, i used to feel the same when people constantly bashed Keith, and oh my did Keith get a lot of bashing, but he came back good in 2012 and with CH and silenced the critics, well some of them anyway.
I genuinely hope Mick comes back strong too. I feel frustrated with Mick, the man is a genius but he acts like he is not aware of it himself.
I'm with hairball, i want to pin point what went wrong with Mick, why he feels the need to distance himself from the Stones when he is the Stones. I love this band and have always been confused as to why Mick acts like they are a ball and chain or something. look at the money he earns by performing with them. Mick is worth over £300 million pounds. He should praise them for keeping up with him all these years. Charlie, Keith and Ronnie are so loyal towards this band. Look at Ronnie, just over cancer, one of the worst types you can get, but he still goes out there for the band. None of them need the money, i just wish Mick had a little bit more affection for the Stones instead of trying to distance himself and keep trying to take some extra glory with a stunt like this latest one.
There is cause and effect in life, i don't think its by chance that Mick makes fans angry with him, i think its for good reason, the man sold out in the mid 80's and hasn't stopped selling out since. I could go on all night but i haven't got the time or inclination. I will just say that if i think he has writers block, that is my opinion and i am entitled to it. Sorry if that makes me a bad poster but its what i believe to be true.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 12, 2017 01:16

wonderboy
Lennon and McCartney wrote songs by singing them first. Keith wrote that in his book -- said that was one difference between the Stones and the Beatles.
Now McCartney is a great musician and Lennon probably just so-so technically, but each of them could use their voices to come up with melodies and then the music (chords, etc,) just naturally followed.
I can think of many so-so guitarists who were great songwriters -- Dylan, Ray Davies.
I'm not sure exactly how Mick writes his songs, but have the impression he plays around on keyboards and sings over the top of that. I don't think he is a natural musician, but he's definitely a good songwriter and has worked very hard at his craft over the years.

Yes to the bold part, but the main question is are there many front man/singers who picked up and learned a guitar after the band was already established, and wrote memorable songs with their basic skills. Mick has indeed written some classics, but not all of them are great IMO - especially during his solo albums.

mr_dja
I believe the name you would be looking for is: Freddie Mercury. I know he played above average piano but I've never heard him being referenced as playing much if any guitar.

Yes, that would be another one, and if memory serves he did play some guitar while on stage - specifically rhythm acoustic on Crazy Little Thing Called Love (I saw it on an old SNL rerun). Not being a big Queen fan, I don't know what his skill levels on guitar were beyond that, and if he even wrote songs on guitar. Reminds me though of when I saw Blur a couple of years ago, and their singer/front man Damon Albarn was strumming acoustic on a few tunes. He eventually spoke about how he never properly learned to play guitar, could barely play it, and only knew a few chords in which he then gave a demo of playing a few random bar chords up and down the neck. He said he's written many of their tunes with what little he knows, but also plays piano which I think is how he writes most of his stuff. But goes to show, you don't need to be a very skilled to write songs...even great songs...but knowing when and where to play those basic parts has a lot to with writing a decent tune.

retired_dog
This thread should be renamed "Deconstructing Mick Jagger" by now... it has reached a degree of ridiculousness that could be simply regarded as pure comedy

I don't know about "comedy" as I tend to look at it all as an enlightening experience of Stones fans exchanging ideas about what makes the band tick, or what part of the band they cherish and admire most. I love Mick as a singer and love to see him on stage - there's nobody like him - I just don't think he's a great guitar player, and again that might be part of the reason I don't like some of the songs he's written. Not trying to change anyone's mind and/or force my opinion, just keeping the conversation and thread alive. Since there's hardly any more talk about the singles themselves (except for chart position, etc.) seems only natural to let the conversation naturally evolve in to something else as they tend to always do. Some people will get hostile, some beligerent, some repetitive, and others condescending, but I try to keep it on an even keel (hopefully) and absorb what others have to say whether I agree with it or not, while at the same time giving my own impressions. Someone mentioned Mick's nice acoustic on Moonlight Mile, and I wouldn't have thought of that if not for this conversation!

Which begs the questions:

1. When was the first guitar playing credit Mick received on a Stones album? And I wonder when he wrote his first song on guitar? I know he came up with the chord structure for Sympathy which is well documented, but was there any other tunes before that?

2. When did he actually start playing guitar? I know in the beginning he played harmonica and sang, but did he ever play the guitar that far back in the bands history? Maybe he started to play when Brian was beginning to lose interest? When Mick and Keith were locked up and forced to write, did Mick have a guitar? Or was he simply writing lyrics and humming melodies?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 12, 2017 01:18

This thread should be renamed "Deconstructing Mick Jagger" by now... it has reached a degree of ridiculousness that could be simply regarded as pure comedy but on the other hand begs the question why certain people who claim that they simply don't like Mick's solo material in general spend a great deal of their time (precious lifetime, btw !) in a thread about a new solo single, not only endlessly repeating how much they dislike the single, but by now are "discussing" supposedly "amateurish" instrumental skills as a reason for "inconsistent" songwriting, some even calling Mick a "liability" or "burden" for the Stones or claiming to be able to write better lyrics/poetry than Mick. It must be some kind of a psychological thing...

Here's another masterpiece ..... man is this this the truth ... thanks retired_dog

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: August 12, 2017 01:20

Riffhards, you don't have to blow this last release up, as if it mattered at all. As already pointed out, this was probably just fun. I think you take Mick more seriously, than he does himself. Mick is as loyal to the band as the others, otherwise he wouldn't have signed another touring contract. He just wanted to release something and get his message out there, not unlike Keith with CH (which I agree with you is great, Just a Gift is my favorite too smileys with beer).

And we have to keep in mind, Mick is the one who makes sure the Stones keep playing shows at a high level, he trains months ahead of a tour, to be able to perform like only he can do, making sure even the people in the last rows have a great time. I guess the ideas of doing things like the Havana show don't come from Ronnie or Keith either, Mick is much more involved in these kind of things. He's very concerned about the critics' reception of performances and recorded music. If that's not loyalty...

Date: August 12, 2017 01:21

stone4ever
I'm with hairball, i want to pin point what went wrong with Mick

Sorry kiddo, you're on your own with that one as I don't think I ever mentioned pinpointing anything.
Just talking guitars and songwriting...or lack thereof. winking smiley

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 12, 2017 01:23

Hairball

1. When was the first guitar playing credit Mick received on a Stones album? And I wonder when he wrote his first song on guitar? I know he came up with the chord structure for Sympathy which is well documented, but was there any other tunes before that?

2. When did he actually start playing guitar? I know in the beginning he played harmonica and sang, but did he ever play the guitar that far back in the bands history? Maybe he started to play when Brian was beginning to lose interest? When Mick and Keith were locked up and forced to write, did Mick have a guitar? Or was he simply writing lyrics and humming melodies?

1. Yesterday's Papers is said to be the first song he wrote by himself.
2. The story I had read is that Keith taught him to play guitar in 1967 after they came back from their tour and were spending a lot of time together. I'm sure he knew how to play before that, but then he learned open tunings and things like that.
The thing about Keith as a guitarist is that he has that timing that gives the songs a type of swing. That's pretty rare and saying Mick doesn't meet that standard isn't meant to criticize him. Jimmy Page was a great guitarist but his songs don't have that swing, either. I think maybe that's what is missing in Mick's songs. And it wasn't just Keith, of course; Charlie and Bill gave the songs that stop/start motion and built some tension and release into the songs.

Date: August 12, 2017 01:29

MonkeyMan2000
Riffhards, you don't have to blow this last release up, as if it mattered at all. As already pointed out, this was probably just fun. I think you take Mick more seriously, than he does himself. Mick is as loyal to the band as the others, otherwise he wouldn't have signed another touring contract. He just wanted to release something and get his message out there, not unlike Keith with CH (which I agree with you is great, Just a Gift is my favorite too smileys with beer).

And we have to keep in mind, Mick is the one who makes sure the Stones keep playing shows at a high level, he trains months ahead of a tour, to be able to perform like only he can do, making sure even the people in the last rows have a great time. I guess the ideas of doing things like the Havana show don't come from Ronnie or Keith either, Mick is much more involved in these kind of things. He's very concerned about the critics' reception of performances and recorded music. If that's not loyalty...

Mick is loyal to money.
Did you listen to one word i said in my post. Do any of you actually listen to why someone has different opinions than yours. We are talking about a man on
completely different levels here. How can you learn anything from life if you can't listen to what a person is saying when he explains himself time and again. Things go over peoples heads, its ok, don't worry about it, everything is great smileys with beer Free Mick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-12 01:35 by stone4ever.

Date: August 12, 2017 01:30

wonderboy
Hairball

1. Yesterday's Papers is said to be the first song he wrote by himself.
2. The story I had read is that Keith taught him to play guitar in 1967 after they came back from their tour and were spending a lot of time together. I'm sure he knew how to play before that, but then he learned open tunings and things like that.
The thing about Keith as a guitarist is that he has that timing that gives the songs a type of swing. That's pretty rare and saying Mick doesn't meet that standard isn't meant to criticize him. Jimmy Page was a great guitarist but his songs don't have that swing, either. I think maybe that's what is missing in Mick's songs. And it wasn't just Keith, of course; Charlie and Bill gave the songs that stop/start motion and built some tension and release into the songs.

Interesting....wonder if Mick wrote Yesterdays Papers on guitar? Or piano? Or humming the melody into a tape recorder and jotting down the lyrics?

As for the latter part of your post, completely agree on all counts. thumbs up

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: August 12, 2017 01:35

stone4ever
MonkeyMan2000

Did you listen to one word i said in my post. Do any of you actually listen to why someone has different opinions than yours. We are talking about a man on
completely different levels here. Things go over peoples heads, its ok, don't worry about it, everything is great smileys with beer

I did read. But I just don't see Mick's distancing and lack of affection...That's our different opinions, we're gonna leave it at that.

Date: August 12, 2017 01:37

MonkeyMan2000
stone4ever
MonkeyMan2000

completely different levels here. Things go over peoples heads, its ok, don't worry about it, everything is great smileys with beer

I did read. But I just don't see Mick's distancing and lack of affection...That's our different opinions, we're gonna leave it at that.

Well you started it.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 12, 2017 01:43

Checked the latest UK Top 100 Singles chart.
No sign of Mick's new single.

Date: August 12, 2017 02:33

stone4ever
MonkeyMan2000

Mick is loyal to money.
completely different levels here. How can you learn anything from life if you can't listen to what a person is saying when he explains himself time and again. Things go over peoples heads, its ok, don't worry about it, everything is great smileys with beer Free Mick.

And you think the other band members are different? And does that outrule the possibility that he's also loyal to the band? In what dreamworld do you live in?

Like I suggested, it's becoming clearer and clearer that it's truly a kind of a psychological thing. If you want the world to hear and understand your thoughts, you'd probably be better off by starting your own blog or something. You might as well start learning to play the maracas, as playing any instrument satisfies the mind tremendously.

Oh, and please stop this "I love/admire/respect Mick, but..."-thing, as your behaviour here tells a different story.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 12, 2017 03:42

jlowe
Checked the latest UK Top 100 Singles chart.
No sign of Mick's new single.

The UK singles chart is currently 90% streaming points, total streams on a week divided 150.

The #100 single had 4,000 points this week.

Mick's single had less than 1,000 points, not even enough for a #200 spot on the full chart.

Singles sales are non existant.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: August 12, 2017 04:32

The idea of listening to a song where the singer keeps going: "beat them with a stick" over and over again is silly. Of course the whole thing is a parody of an attitude: You've "gotta get a grip." You do have to walk softly and carry a big stick sometimes, though, that goes without saying. A maxi single with all the remixes would have been cool. Maybe this was a song for the cops? I haven't wanted to listen to "Gotta Get A Grip" more than twice. I don't want to walk around singing, "beat them with a stick," or end up whistling along to it somehow. Although, there's not really a tune there - just some interesting noises mashed together. But it doesn't sound bad! It's a darkly humorous concept. It wasn't supposed to be a success, in a way IMHO. The Stones will be stronger now. Maybe a a totally serious Mick solo album would be even more fun later on? I believe this was something else for Mick, another outlet to have fun, and immediately release his ideas. I would seriously buy a 5 song CD with all the remixes, or a cassette! Maybe I would listen through more than twice that way. I told you I was done with paragraphs. How did I get here? Is this where the Space-time Continuum releases hot gas? I'm leaving again. Doxa, come back, we need you.. Btw: I wrote the "inextricable thing[sic]" sentence on purpose, to keep the kids off dope. That's the honest to God's truth. And to make Rachel laugh... The Stones were all in their 20s before they ever took a toke! Now nobody quote me on this. . .Ok, back to the future..

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: August 12, 2017 05:14

liking the Seeb one.

can't getcha can't getcha outta my mind.

Date: August 12, 2017 05:44

Mick doesn't say anything negative about "Christianity" in the song. He's "tried it all." He quotes Bob Dylan's "Up To Me," sort of. Two words from it: "enforced insanity." But Mick doesn't say Christianity is bad. Mick never has. Mick completes a thought when he says, "Christianity" in the song. He doesn't follow-up by mentioning the Crusades or anything like that. I'm not Catholic. I've said it before. Doxa, where are you? Mick has probably tried Bible studies. If he's indeed tried it all. And I believe him. Good on Mick. He makes people think!

Date: August 12, 2017 05:56

Socrates1
Mick doesn't say anything negative about "Christianity" in the song. He's "tried it all." He quotes Bob Dylan's "Up To Me," sort of. Two words from it: "enforced insanity." But Mick doesn't say Christianity is bad. Mick never has. Mick completes a thought when he says, "Christianity" in the song. He doesn't follow-up by mentioning the Crusades or anything like that. I'm not Catholic. I've said it before. Doxa, where are you? Mick has probably tried Bible studies. If he's indeed tried it all. And I believe him. Good on Mick. He makes people think!

"And I do believe in miracles
And I want to save my soul
And I know that I'm a sinner
I'm gonna die here in the cold
I said yes, I said yeah..."

Mick knows some history/theology as the lyrics to Saint of Me clearly show (as well as Sympathy and others).
The question is, did he write Saint of Me as a first hand account, or was it from a fictitious 3rd person perspective.
Maybe a bit of each?

"I said yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah
You'll never make a saint of me.." thumbs up

Date: August 12, 2017 05:58

I believe the song is more about Mick's wry sense of humor, and him working at a wrinkle in time, to bring about a moment in reality where you can actually say: "gotta beat 'em with a stick" in a pop song. That's extraordinarily absurd. That's the joke. This wasn't supposed to sell 10 million copies. We're living in an absurd time right now. Tomorrow could be less absurd and totally serious. This isn't a serious song. The idea of people walking down the street singing this to themselves, that's the dark comedy. Would you call it Zen or something, too? Because you're always coming back to: "Gotta get a grip." No real sticks are flying. So, the song has a built-in resolve function or something... Mick does that with violence and creating juxtaposition in his songs. It's what we think in the Stones song, the human condition dances its ass off..Paging Doxa, did you get a grip yet? Because I just lost mine. Oh wait, there it is.

Date: August 12, 2017 07:30

Creating a juxtaposition. I didn't press the [A] key hard enough. That's all that was.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 12, 2017 08:16

Doxa is gone...to Exile...and elsewhere....like a lot of interesting people that used to post here.

Date: August 12, 2017 11:58

Its the lack of tolerance to opposing attitudes that ruins this place.
Doxa may have disagreed with a lot of peoples views on Mick but he was never personal and he never ganged up to attack a poster. The guy has class.
I have learned so much about people here and its not nice.
Think how boring it would be if everyone constantly raved on about how great this new single is. I have been driven out of this place, its unbearable, well done guys you win. I will concentrate on other things now. Cheers and gone.

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: August 12, 2017 15:04

Two terrible songs. Cmon Mick stick to rock and roll!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 12, 2017 16:24

wow 80,000 views!! eye popping smiley That's more people than will buy it methinks.
then again about half the the posts are the same two guys. heh heh...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-12 16:25 by hopkins.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: August 12, 2017 18:20

hopkins
wow 80,000 views!! eye popping smiley That's more people than will buy it methinks.
then again about half the the posts are the same two guys. heh heh...[/quote

Wow who are they??

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: August 12, 2017 19:31

In "Stone Alone" Bill says Mick was playing guitar before he met him.

Ray Davies is an excellent guitarist. He and Dave "weave" quite a bit.

Date: August 12, 2017 21:54

Well, now I've written inextricable instead of inexplicable. Not what I intended to do before viewing the internet.. Maybe we all become unwitting liars on the internet sometimes. Or something. Hank, how have you been? Looking forward to any music related stuff from members of the Stones. Everybody just continue doing what you were doing now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-12 23:04 by Socrates1.

Date: August 12, 2017 23:18

stone4ever
Its the lack of tolerance to opposing attitudes that ruins this place.
Doxa may have disagreed with a lot of peoples views on Mick but he was never personal and he never ganged up to attack a poster. The guy has class.
I have learned so much about people here and its not nice.
Think how boring it would be if everyone constantly raved on about how great this new single is. I have been driven out of this place, its unbearable, well done guys you win. I will concentrate on other things now. Cheers and gone.

That's not the point and you know it.

There's been a lot of interesting viewspoints and opinions about the single here, some like it, some not - I for one like it, said it's a lot better than I expected, while knowing that it's of course not in the league of, let's say Memo From Turner imo.

But what I strongly object to is the constant campaigning against Mick Jagger by some here,last but not least the lead singer of our favourite band, that's what I called "Deconstructing Mick Jagger" - making solely him responsible for all the shortcomings of the Stones creative process in recent years to the point of ridiculing him, even calling the man a "liability for the Stones". And wasn't the "find him some maracas!"-joke from you? Add to that the constant "love/like/respect Mick"-claims, looking a bit like the snake in the grass who's constantly claiming he's your friend, but jumping on the first opportunity to bite you.

If you feel that people here "ganged up" against you, let me say that I did not gang up with anybody, I just expressed my personal opinions as good as I could. But it appears that I'm not the only one who noticed all this and found it rather strange to say the least. Maybe you should take this as a reason to reflect and rethink your own behaviour instead of feeling persecuted for no reason because the latter is cheap.

And oh, yes, Doxa has class, indeed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-13 00:05 by retired_dog.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 13, 2017 00:54

well said and time I reckon to move on.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 13, 2017 01:22

....If ya give ya gotta be able ta take it .......

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4546474849505152535455...LastNext
Current Page: 50 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1333
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home