Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 61
Re: Mick Jagger "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost"
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 31, 2017 02:59

....Gotta Get a Grip .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 31, 2017 03:08

stone4ever
I sometimes wonder how many of you wound up here.
I didn't realize that Rolling Stones fans first and foremost are Rap fan's who love modern over production of songs that sound like they have some sort of meaning but in the case of Mick it doesn't count because he thinks the opposite of what he writes. They also above all else love Mick working with Matt over Keith any-day of the week and will follow Mick and Matt solo above Keith or the Stones as the Stones with Keith bores the crap out of them. Yay it all makes such perfect sense. Brilliant thumbs upsmileys with beer

I guess that I don't own as much as one release that will be judged as belonging to the rap genre as primary description.

Later added: I don't prefer Mick to choose away working with Keith. My reaction is towards Keith vetoing against widening what may become Rolling Stones music. Formerly I have expressed a symbolical wish for a balance between Mick and Keith influence on novelty of Rolling Stones music as 70 (or 65) to 30 (or 35).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-31 03:37 by Witness.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 31, 2017 03:08

Nice photo of Mick "hey, shove that umbrella up your ass" Jagger with Ronnie Wood "standing in the rain."

Date: July 31, 2017 03:26

Rockman
Rev Twenty Redlights but I call him Tinkerbell .....HHaaaaaa

Is that really my old buddy, Jar-Jar you're talking about? I wondered if he's ever returned here under a new name as part of an IORR relocation program. You have to admire anyone who spends time on these boards and lets their imagination run wild. Sadly, Jar-Jar was eventually topped by the guy who bragged about seeing club dates but not remembering details because of all the hookers and blow. He spun yarns about going to the show via hovercraft and making a series of connections at the nick of time in the most stylish fashion. He could write well and was terribly clever about taking the piss out of fandom. He was a blast as well. He went to EOMS when it first started, but got banned there as well. Sad, really. He and Jar-Jar are among my favorite memories.

Date: July 31, 2017 03:37

Micks half rappin' pile-up of words and images in Gotta Get a Grip
ain't that far removed from his work back in '94 on I'm Gonna Drive ...

ROCKMAN

Date: July 31, 2017 03:42

Is that really my old buddy, Jar-Jar you're talking about? I wondered

I dunno if it's the same guy Rocky ...
YES!! great imagination but sadly he gets things wrong ...

ROCKMAN

Date: July 31, 2017 03:45

He went to EOMS when it first started, but got banned there as well....

Heck !!! I thought Drake took in all refugees and food fanatics ....

ROCKMAN

Date: July 31, 2017 03:45

Oh, it's all stream of consciousness madness if it's the same guy, but he's damned entertaining.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 31, 2017 03:57

Rocky Dijon
Nice photo of Mick "hey, shove that umbrella up your ass" Jagger with Ronnie Wood "standing in the rain."

Lol I thought it was Keith on the right looking down at Mick with disappointment for abandoning ship (ie the supposed new Stones album) and recording behind his back.
Like the scene from the Godfather II when Michael Corleone discovers his older bro Fredo has betrayed him and the family.

""I know it was you, Mick. You broke my heart. You broke my heart!"

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: July 31, 2017 05:29

I haven't listened to it totally yet, but what I did hear sounds super brick walled and compressed like Blue & Lonesome. And if the subject matter consists of a multi millionaire chastising the masses for their political beliefs I'm in no hurry to listen to it any time soon.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 31, 2017 05:38

Rocky Dijon
hopkins
Who's Matt Clifford?

The polite answer is he's a keyboard player who Mick stole from a Yes-offshoot in 1989 to play keyboards and help Bernard Fowler arrange backing vocals during the STEEL WHEELS sessions. He was part of the album from pre-production through the bitter end and played keyboards alongside Chuck on the STEEL WHEELS and URBAN JUNGLE tours.

Matt then arranged the strings for "Angel in My Heart" on WANDERING SPIRIT and the orchestral version of "Angie" Mick sang on THE SYMPHONIC MUSIC OF THE ROLLING STONES. He also played piano on the lounge number Mick sang in the film, BENT.

In the current century, Matt arranged and co-produced most of GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY, playing keyboards and singing back-up on nearly every song and even co-writing most of the album. He handled pre-production on three of the FOUR NEW LICKS in 2002 and co-produced and handled pre-production on "Streets of Love" and "Rain Fall Down" on A BIGGER BANG.

In the current decade, Matt has assisted Mick in completing tracks for reissues of EXILE and SOME GIRLS and took part in overdubbing new bits to new/old songs. He returned to touring with the Stones in a limited capacity (just "You Can't Always Get What You Want") in 2012, but over the last few years is now back sharing keyboard duties full-time alongside Chuck.

In a controversial move, it was Matt and not Chuck who cut BLUE AND LONESOME with the band although Chuck was later able to overdub a bit. Mick and Ronnie took part in Matt's "Save the Children" charity single (which Matt wrote) and he co-wrote "Drive of Shame" with Mick and Brad Paisley.

Most painful to me, it was Matt who joined Mick and Charlie for the Monty Python sketch for their farewell shows a few years ago.

Matt also regularly accompanies Mick to sporting events and is often captured in photos with Mick when the latter tries and fails to enjoy himself in public.

It is safe to say he is one of Mick's closest friends.

Anything else is just asking for trouble.

Thank you Rocky

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 31, 2017 05:45

Matt Clifford also does film soundtracks: [www.imdb.com]

I wonder if Mick heard of him from a soundtrack.

Date: July 31, 2017 06:09

I read the lyrics once. I don't want to be unkind to a guys who has such a legacy of really brilliant tracks and performances that mean so much to me; I don't do it lightly, or cavierlierly; and I'm just one old fan anyway....but the lyrics seemed sort of rhyming dictionary puerile...I mean lazy and a big step backwards. If they are typically loose as may be his style in putting stuff on record; maaay be giving him undesesrved credit. On the other hand, if he really worked hard on these; and he's sort of trying to spin the press that way...about it's current revelance and next year would be too late for it's nowness, it's current essential imporance in the socio-politio arena....eye rolling smiley

well if he did work really hard on them; it's dead flat-out scary.
I think it over-derivitive and inconsequential. I'm never gonna listen to those tracks again. I'm sorry I listened to one of them all the way thorugh hahaha; not really but...you know...this is not even second rate stuff ...imo.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 31, 2017 06:11

Rockman

Doesn't make THAT '94 tune good either Rocky!

Rod

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 31, 2017 06:41

hopkins
I read the lyrics once. I don't want to be unkind to a guys who has such a legacy of really brilliant tracks and performances that mean so much to me; I don't do it lightly, or cavierlierly; and I'm just one old fan anyway....but the lyrics seemed sort of rhyming dictionary puerile...I mean lazy and a big step backwards. If they are typically loose as may be his style in putting stuff on record; maaay be giving him undesesrved credit. On the other hand, if he really worked hard on these; and he's sort of trying to spin the press that way...about it's current revelance and next year would be too late for it's nowness, it's current essential imporance in the socio-politio arena....eye rolling smiley

I think it over-derivitive and inconsequential. I'm never gonna listen to those tracks again. I'm sorry I listened to one of them all the way thorugh hahaha; not really but...you know...this is not even second rate stuff ...imo.

You mean like these?

"Everybody's on the take
The news is all fake
Let 'em eat chicken and let 'em eat steak
Let 'em eat shit, let 'em eat cake..."

I did learn some new terminology though..."Metadata scam"...you learn something every day, thanks Mick. thumbs up

Date: July 31, 2017 07:18

now if he's segue into honey honey honey baby baby baby honey; we'd have someth....never mind.

Date: July 31, 2017 10:22

Rocky Dijon
Rockman
Rev Twenty Redlights but I call him Tinkerbell .....HHaaaaaa

Is that really my old buddy, Jar-Jar you're talking about? I wondered if he's ever returned here under a new name as part of an IORR relocation program. You have to admire anyone who spends time on these boards and lets their imagination run wild. Sadly, Jar-Jar was eventually topped by the guy who bragged about seeing club dates but not remembering details because of all the hookers and blow. He spun yarns about going to the show via hovercraft and making a series of connections at the nick of time in the most stylish fashion. He could write well and was terribly clever about taking the piss out of fandom. He was a blast as well. He went to EOMS when it first started, but got banned there as well. Sad, really. He and Jar-Jar are among my favorite memories.

The latter is around on more than one of these boards.

I thought Revvy was on here, but maybe not. I saw he quoted one of my posts on Shidoobee..

Posted by: beno ()
Date: July 31, 2017 11:57

Disappointed after one (and probably last) listening. :-(

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 31, 2017 12:15

When I heard England Lost I thought Mick maybe tongue and cheek on England's soccer team. Sorry if this has been mentioned earlier.......smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 31, 2017 13:14

Rockman

Actually, if we compare the debut single of that other Mick Jagger that dude was also half-rappin' through "Memo From Turner" as well...

- Doxa

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 31, 2017 13:46

Hairball
hopkins

You mean like these?

"Everybody's on the take
The news is all fake

I did learn some new terminology though..."Metadata scam"...you learn something every day, thanks Mick. thumbs up

*for me, I hear the subject: all the news everyday about; eat this good,
eat that bad, now this food is that,
kids on special diets, etc.
"Everybody's on the take
The news is all fake
(makes me snicker)

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 31, 2017 13:58

Hmm... so Jagger's solo single it actually is a clear offspring from the session for THe SUPPOSED NEW ROLLING STONES ALBUM or HIT THE WALL... Actually that 'new' album starts to be an inspiring source for all kinds of side projects, of which each of them have surprised me positively ; I never could have imagined that I could hear again anything as strong and convincing from the Rolling Stones as BLUE & LONESOME and now this Jagger little solo thing - coming totally out of the blue - surpassed all of my expectations what this old dude could still originally do. Nothing groundbreaking though, but I wasn't exactly waiting any new "Satisfaction"... So keep 'em coming!

Anyway, the more I listen to "Gotta Get A Grip", especially Amok re-mix, the more it starts to sound to my ears like a 'normal' blues-based Rolling Stones tune, just added some extra fancy clothing to make a bit untypical soundwise. It could very very easily included within a Stonesian vocabulary or extend it naturally. A pretty close of, say, "Undercover of The Night" (still I wouldn't have ever guessed there is Charlie involved - but of course, now I hear him haha...) I like it more than "Doom&Gloom" and "One MOre Shot" and anything on A BIGGER BANG, so if it been released under The Stones brand, it would have been nice addition to their catalogue. But what does is really matter if it is "Mick Jagger" or "The Rolling Stones" - it's just music and a good thing that it is released! Keep 'em coming!!

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-31 14:01 by Doxa.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 31, 2017 15:07

But what does is really matter if it is "Mick Jagger" or "The Rolling Stones" - it's just music and a good thing that it is released! Keep 'em coming!!

- Doxa[/quote]

>grinning smiley<>grinning smiley<

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 31, 2017 15:08

Gotta Get A Grip better than Doom And Gloom or anything on ABB?
What a statement!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 31, 2017 15:13

Doxa
Hmm... so Jagger's solo single it actually is a clear offspring from the session for THe SUPPOSED NEW ROLLING STONES ALBUM or HIT THE WALL... Actually that 'new' album starts to be an inspiring source for all kinds of side projects, of which each of them have surprised me positively ; I never could have imagined that I could hear again anything as strong and convincing from the Rolling Stones as BLUE & LONESOME and now this Jagger little solo thing - coming totally out of the blue - surpassed all of my expectations what this old dude could still originally do. Nothing groundbreaking though, but I wasn't exactly waiting any new "Satisfaction"... So keep 'em coming!

Anyway, the more I listen to "Gotta Get A Grip", especially Amok re-mix, the more it starts to sound to my ears like a 'normal' blues-based Rolling Stones tune, just added some extra fancy clothing to make a bit untypical soundwise. It could very very easily included within a Stonesian vocabulary or extend it naturally. A pretty close of, say, "Undercover of The Night" (still I wouldn't have ever guessed there is Charlie involved - but of course, now I hear him haha...) I like it more than "Doom&Gloom" and "One MOre Shot" and anything on A BIGGER BANG, so if it been released under The Stones brand, it would have been nice addition to their catalogue. But what does is really matter if it is "Mick Jagger" or "The Rolling Stones" - it's just music and a good thing that it is released! Keep 'em coming!!

- Doxa

i think several collective heads exploded at that statement....but yeah i agree hope they keep em coming...

Date: July 31, 2017 15:32

Gosh Doxa he's not an old blues dude. Yeah those hard years behind the mule have really touched his soul. The hard life was worth it tho. All those years in the blistering sun, getting shit money and dissed, scratching for feathers, dreaming of a chicken leg. B&L had some passable cuts; some really refreshing wonderful stuff like JYF and at least a couple others I enjoy...well, it's a matter of taste of course and I respect yours. Hope you don't mind me expressing a reaction. It seems more the very extremely coddled fussy spoiled guy in a lot of ways too. Mick never misses a meal; I don't want him to, I don't expect him to be colored for oppression and dismassal; and brutality....and would not want that for him or anybody. It's at this point when even a really mellow dude like me, (eye rolling smiley ) starts to have to finally utter the 'cultural appropriation' arguments I always immediately reject; because I STILL enjoy what I consider the 'authenticity' of lines like:
"...Oh the gangster looks so frightening
With his luger in his hand
When he gets home to his children
He's a family man..."

I can forgive the mentolated sandwiches in this context. smiling smiley

But seriously, that's just a quick example coming to mind, I do not expect sterling poetry in a rock song; sometimes it can be mercurial; often it's pretentious and distracting...so....
...respectfully, because your insights make this site glow a lot of the times, but Mick's not an old blues man; tho I'm not the arbiter of anyone's soul content. He's a rich pop star since he's barely out of his teens, He's so rich and distant is what this comes off as, to me anyway. He really feels lost to me. It's like dissing my own dad or biggest brother I love., I'm not a hater of any Rolling Stone. And Chuck is not a fkn Rolling Stone...ohman i have to get over that... grinning smiley

I actually thought the Mick who sang "You Got To Move," characteriztion in his kitbag or not, rang true; to my heart and soul anyway. Still does. He was into it back then. It's a thing he plays with now; as a businessman he strives to do well. He sort of wrote the book on promo and pop star message control. He ain't Fred McDowell or one of those cats.

And yes all you politicians posing as deep fans. I think Keith's output matches Micks, in that it's on the same level, for me, of casual irrelevance. These coddled super-stars are surrounded by syncophants. They have lit the world and touched everyones hearts with amazing splendor. I was re-reading that Lester Bangs review of Ya yas and posted it here to share it on some thread or other...but they have been coasting for decades. They put out so much sterling quality original exciting brilliant stuff; that WAS received and phenemonally validated by multiple millions. It probably seems weird to even them at times. They broke up around DW and it's been what it's been and ok, it's not against the law...

...again I don't expect it to be 1969 when we're looking at 2018. That would be ridick. I sort of did expect, or wish in a way; that as they aged, they'd get more acoustic; more like the Stripped stuff say, but with new material, or fresh covers of old material...that was my fantasy. It was fulfilled when I saw that back stage of Country Honk from the Ole flim. it fulfilled my fantasies and wishes because they manifested exactly what I dreamed and KNEW they could do. I KNOW K can still bang that out w soul. I KNOW Mick can still sing. Especially when he forgets all that miserable technique he paid someone for. I mean self=preservation; it's hard to work your vokes like he does with that, by now, totally fake, screaming...
Yeh I thought some of b&l a fresh little bouquet; a welcome wonder some of it. Tho I never spent much time with it. It was a curiousity. It came and went in a flash and was meant to in a way. I knew everyone raving about it was not gonna be listening to it in six months and most have been honest about that here from what I've read. Sure now someones gonna pop out and say they can't brush their teeth without it...and all that...but come one. He might have well have put black shoe polish on his face and rolled his eyes real big...dreaming of watermelon. He ain't an old blues guy. I don't think poverty gives someone authenticity or makes their art necessarily more potent; but somewhere in here I"m hoping people will understand where I'm coming from with this. I don't think I'm capable of expressing it properly. And also, I do not mean harm or dismissal and see the shit storms here involving about a dozen of us variously, and I'm just talking with you about fan stuff; nobodys indentity or appreciation of whatever they like, is being challenged or disrespected. Especially yours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-31 15:53 by hopkins.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 31, 2017 15:48

I do agree with Doxa, I do like GGAP and also EL better than D&G and I think the comparison is fitting because I can clearly hear a similar mold (which is probably their limit imo). Reasons which make them better to my ears are:

1) the funk groove instead the "arena rock" flavour (which made D&G fun live, though)
2) Mick's avoiding his typical late "sugary" bridges and melodies, that are usually a weak point in his late composition.

I do like him keeping straight to the groove.

Nothing groundbreakin, not at all. But I feel good about the groove in ELand lyrically I think that for once the repetitive rhyming fits well with the beat. In this case. I have read a bad review about EL lyrics but actually I do like how the soccer metaphor (self-ironic too?) turns into a more general/political statement (also from the same mold of D&G)

this is contemporary jagger. Like him or not, or not so much. I sure give him some good credit for these two songs.

And yes, they could have made pretty good Stones funks if only the glimmer twins could find a way to work together on these. As someone pointed out earlier. I can't see a reason why Keith's "substantial damage" side could not be intrigued to work on these... and made them sparkle with the warmth so effective in CH. Or maybe was Jagger reluctant to leave them in the "old style" hands of his pal. Who knows? Sure it's a pity but one can keep the faith that they finally will match again their different talents. There's still some in them to make good music me thinks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-31 16:13 by maumau.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 31, 2017 16:38

Doxa

- Doxa

While i like that Mick is making music at last and seems to be enjoying himself, i have to react to you Doxy baby for saying that GGAG is better than anything on ABB. For instance It Won't Take Long is a very good track that takes some beating. If we can put Keith and his Keithettes to one side for a moment and concentrate on Mick for a minute. What is it exactly that you can describe about GGAG that makes it better than anything on ABB.

Melody's ? NO.
Musical content ? No
Lyrics ? NO, silly in fact coming from Mick.
Vocals ? Better then OMS and DAG, but not particularly better vocally than on ABB
Guitars ? No, a bit weak really no matter how much they are revved up in the various mixes.
Attitude ? on a par with Rough Justice and IWTL, Back Of My Hand, Oh No Not You Again, but not particularly convincing, and GGAG doesn't sound like it's sincere enough to show real passion or expression.
Would a casual Stones fan purchase GGAG ? not in a million years, its nothing like what a Stones fan wants from Mick, although a lot of people might buy this who would never buy a Stones album.
And that's my point, its silly to rate this too highly on any level other than that its a novel idea from Mick. GGAG is what it is , but its no more than that, its not worthy of comparison to a whole Stones album.
Doxy baby, listen to Mick, you gotta get a grip my friend winking smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 31, 2017 17:06

Even compared to Mick´s previous solo stuff only, both new songs are weak. The groove is nice when listening to it for the first time but very soon you realize that there is nothing more to it. You get bored after hearing it a couple of times. These songs hardly enrich the man´s catalogue.

Musically it is not very original, it´s Anybody Seen My Baby meets Substantial Damage meets Might As Well Get Juiced meets Rain Fall Down. But all these songs - even Substantial Damage - are better than Gotta Get A Grip.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-31 17:20 by HMS.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 31, 2017 17:30

Guess what?

Personally, I really like these songs.
I like they way they were delivered.
I like that Ronnie and Charlie are on them.
I like that Mick plays wicked harmonica on them too.
Matt Clifford? He doesn't bother me one way or the other.

And ya know what?!
I still like Keith too.
And I still LOVE The Rolling Stones.

Carry on.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1775
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home