Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 61
Re: "Mick Jagger" video shoot in London - "Gotta Get a Grip"?
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 27, 2017 21:14

Regarding England Lost, nice groove, but not as engaging as Gotta get A Grip. Sounds like Mick wishes Charlie could have played drums on this one.

In Crossfire Hurricane, Mick talks about acting in songs, as each song is a different character -- the Jumping Jack Flash character, the SFTD character, etc.

The character for England Lost reminds me of a Broadway show that closes after the first night.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: July 27, 2017 21:14

Firts impression : I like Gotta Get A Grip. And the Kevin Parker remix too.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 27, 2017 21:29

Not really a fan of songs built around the drum machine track. But well constructed, vocals are good. I wonder if Keith rejected the demos.
England Lost reminds me of 'Living on a Thin Line' by the Kinks, which was a better song and came from a band more identified with England.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: July 27, 2017 21:34

England lost? Back to zero part two.

When it comes to the music. But I like a good groove. No problems.

And GRIP? Even cooler groove! Could be a hit...in England...and Sweden! :-D

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 27, 2017 21:48

Rocky Dijon
That said, Mick's lyrics and his affected Cockney make it sound a bit like a Bill Wyman solo tune.

Haha. Yes, I also thought of Bill's solo career.

England lost doesn't really work for me. I do like the Gotta Get a Grip-groove.

Posted by: VOODOOSEBI ()
Date: July 27, 2017 22:07

I like gotta get a grip, but ask myself who good would it sound when played by the stones..

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: July 27, 2017 22:15

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 27, 2017 22:15

Gotta Get A Grip reminds me of, err, something, it will come to me later.

I'm speechless., its a mess, a din, a noise, but i like it, like it, yes i dospinning smiley sticking its tongue out

OK got it, i think it sounds a bit like Substantial damage from CH

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: July 27, 2017 22:22

I'm glad that so many people seem to like these songs. As much as I love Mick, I'm sorry to say that I can't share this feeling. Anything on Crosseyed Heart sounds to me 1000 times better than either song. Hopefully I might change my mind with additional listenings, but that's my very humble opinion so far.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 27, 2017 22:28

Mick on Facebook:
"I'm excited to share new music with you! I started writing these two songs a few weeks back and wanted to get them out to you straight away. I feel a slight throwback to a time when you could be a bit more free and easy by recording and putting it out there immediately. Enjoy them. MJ"

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 27, 2017 22:30

Thanks Deltics ^^^^^

...... and Fanks Mick ... lurv 'em ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: July 27, 2017 22:42

So who's playing on these songs, besides Mick?

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 27, 2017 22:47

After one listen, I prefer England Lost.

GGAG - I kept waiting for a chord change...

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: July 27, 2017 22:53

Goog songs! I like how he involves some harmonica in the songs. Makes me feel quite positive about the new Stones record. I hope for something mostly groove orientated like those two songs, because that's where Keith shines too.

The Glimmers don't seem to be as far away from each other, musically speaking, as we sometimes think. Compare those two songs to Substantial Damage, for example.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 27, 2017 22:54

england's lost is really good: the groove, the lyrics, the attitude, the vocals: credible
gotta get non so much, shame on keith because that he could have worked on and turn into a very good gritty stones funk, as the Kevin Parker Remix shows. that remix is my fav version of the song though it turns it almost like a whola lotta love rip off.

monkeyman2000: I agree put the fire of subst damage into gotta get and you have a flamboyant funk worth a VG+++ stones record

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-27 22:56 by maumau.

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: July 27, 2017 23:03

Deltics
Mick on Facebook:
"I'm excited to share new music with you! I started writing these two songs a few weeks back and wanted to get them out to you straight away. I feel a slight throwback to a time when you could be a bit more free and easy by recording and putting it out there immediately. Enjoy them. MJ"

Hmmm...makes me wonder if Mick might try something more modern, like releasing a new song every month or so. I'm kinda digging the new grooves though.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 27, 2017 23:18

Somebody should have created a Jagger lyric bingo game.

Mention of dirty laundry thumbs up

Unnecessary expletive thumbs up

etc.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: July 27, 2017 23:20

When he starts listing things in GGAG it sounds like the part in I Go Wild about "checkout girls striking poses, politicians garish wives..." Good tracks, not earth shaking but solid. Like some others, not sure about drum tack use.

Posted by: MidnightPeanut ()
Date: July 27, 2017 23:30

Like them on not, I love the fact that he's working at a faster pace again.

"...a few weeks back and wanted to get them out to you straight away. I feel a slight throwback to a time when you could be a bit more free and easy by recording and putting it out there immediately."

That alone is great news IMO.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: July 27, 2017 23:31

Rocky Dijon
On MickJagger.com, the copy claims it is "the debut solo single by Mick Jagger." Apparently this is a different Mick Jagger from the guy who did all those other solo releases. As always, they could actually hire people who know something of the artist's history or are professional enough to ask someone who would know.

I can't go much further on mikjagger.com then the first page with links to facebook Twitter and instagram....

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 27, 2017 23:35

Deltics
Mick on Facebook:

Great way of making new songs. Instead of months long production time getting 10-15 songs ready for an album. Just release what is ready, one by one.

By the way great songs.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: July 27, 2017 23:37

..just a contractual obligation...???

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: July 27, 2017 23:41

Mister Jagger surly tries to keep up with the times. I am too old for this. Lyric wise there are some nice lines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-27 23:43 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: July 27, 2017 23:46

I certainly don't get the impression at all, that Mick tries to keep up with the times, at least not musically. This is just funk, even with some harmonica. You won't hear something like that on the usual radio.

Now that will.i.am. collaboration, that was more like him trying to keep up and to attract young people...

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: July 28, 2017 00:02

MonkeyMan2000
I certainly don't get the impression at all, that Mick tries to keep up with the times, at least not musically. This is just funk, even with some harmonica. You won't hear something like that on the usual radio.

Now that will.i.am. collaboration, that was more like him trying to keep up and to attract young people...

Don't know I have not listend to the usual radio (you mean the diarrhea stations?) in years.

Both songs just don't swing, missing a real drummer.

Date: July 28, 2017 00:15

maumau
england's lost is really good: the groove, the lyrics, the attitude, the vocals: credible
gotta get non so much, shame on keith because that he could have worked on and turn into a very good gritty stones funk, as the Kevin Parker Remix shows. that remix is my fav version of the song though it turns it almost like a whola lotta love rip off.

monkeyman2000: I agree put the fire of subst damage into gotta get and you have a flamboyant funk worth a VG+++ stones record

Do you think this might be Mick's revenge on Keith for him rejecting these two tracks.
I don't really understand why Keith would reject Gotta Get A Grip because its similar to the odd Funk number Keith has tried in the past.
Actually how do we know Keith has rejected this, i mean i don't think Keith is at liberty to reject a Mick track on a Stones album, it happens all the time.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 28, 2017 00:19

This a great day people...
Mick Jagger releases new music and new videos, practically out of the blue.
The day after his birthday.

Embrace it.

This is the new norm in the music business.
Streaming singles. Quick drop videos. Hit and Run marketing.

It doesn't surprise me that Mick Jagger is on-board.
cool smileythumbs up

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: July 28, 2017 00:23

My first impression is that England Lost is the more memorable of the two. It's got a genuinely cool vibe and does a better job of injecting a little social commentary.

Gotta Get A Grip is an okay funk tune but I'd put it in the category of Mick's past songs that were built around a groove that doesn't really go anywhere.

Date: July 28, 2017 00:23

England Lost sounds like a poor attempt at Rain Fall Down, but its pointless, i can't understand why Mick would stick his head out with this, it just goes to show he still has writers block.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 28, 2017 00:26

stone4ever
maumau

Do you think this might be Mick's revenge on Keith for him rejecting these two tracks.
I don't really understand why Keith would reject Gotta Get A Grip because its similar to the odd Funk number Keith has tried in the past.
Actually how do we know Keith has rejected this, i mean i don't think Keith is at liberty to reject a Mick track on a Stones album, it happens all the time.

you're right it was my assumption but actually, if it's true what mick's says that these are very recent ideas, it might not be the case. still I thing GGAG expecially sounds like a "good song for stones" imo

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1824
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home