Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Leon Russell
Posted by: Stonesfan62 ()
Date: June 26, 2017 13:15

Any Leon Russell fans here? Been listening to best of. Underrated artist in my opinion.

John Nicholls

Re: OT Leon Russell
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 26, 2017 13:30

Here's the original version of Shine A Light. It was left off Leon's eponymous (and brilliant) album from 1970.

The song was mainly written by Mick who got Leon into the Olympic Studios alongside George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Mick Taylor and probably Bill Wyman on bass.

Date: June 26, 2017 13:42

Yes I like a good bit of his solo output.
But I think he greatest strength might have been as a band leader, a provocateur agent, inspiring and combining other people.
Many of the lasting images of him are not so much of someone hunkered on the piano, lost in his runs, but an imposing figure seated by the piano, but very much in control, watching the band, and directing the scene.
The Cocker story, I don't know enough of. One of the best bands ever put together, but maybe not much patience? RegARDLESS it seems he ends up with an impeccable CV; always with the right folks, in the right place.

Date: June 26, 2017 14:16

Here's the info from Hoffman on the lineup. It doesn't sound like Keith or Taylor to me:

Mick Jagger/lead vocal
Ringo Starr/drums
Leon Russell/piano
bass - Paul McCartney (on the tape box)/ or (more probably) Bill Wyman
Guitar - Keith Richards/or Chris Stainton

Recorded Aug. 7, 1970 at: Olympic Sound Studios, 117 Church Road, Barnes SW13
Producer: Denny Cordell
Engineer: Anton 1" 8-track tape

Date: June 26, 2017 15:03

Is there a link, this? [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-26 15:17 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: June 26, 2017 16:16

Seems almost like the framework of the song is built around Russel's piano.
Listening to the final release I realise the melodic impact Taylor had on this song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-26 16:16 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: June 26, 2017 16:17

TheflyingDutchman
Seems almost like the framework of song is built around Russel's piano.
Listening to the final release I realise the melodic impact Taylor had on this song.

How do you mean?

Date: June 26, 2017 16:24

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman

How do you mean?

The melodic fills and guitar solos are not on Russel's version, however they add a lot of melancholy on the final release.

Date: June 26, 2017 16:28

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman

How do you mean?

The melodic fills and guitar solos are not on Russel's version, however they add a lot of melancholy on the final release.

Agreed!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 26, 2017 16:48

Silver Dagger
Here's the original version of Shine A Light. It was left off Leon's eponymous (and brilliant) album from 1970.

The song was mainly written by Mick who got Leon into the Olympic Studios alongside George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Mick Taylor and probably Bill Wyman on bass.

I was completely unaware of this version. Thanx for sharing!

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 26, 2017 16:57

TheflyingDutchman

That's a vintage, almost "Memo From Turner"-esque drawled 'drunk/stoned' vocal from Mick. Interesting. His slightly cleaned-up delivery on EOMS had a lot more melodic flavor ... in addition to the fantastic Taylor playing.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: June 26, 2017 17:08

LongBeachArena72
TheflyingDutchman

That's a vintage, almost "Memo From Turner"-esque drawled 'drunk/stoned' vocal from Mick. Interesting. His slightly cleaned-up delivery on EOMS had a lot more melodic flavor ... in addition to the fantastic Taylor playing.

Here's an alternate version. Not with Leon but Mick Taylor with a different solo than the original release.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 26, 2017 17:17

PhillyFAN
LongBeachArena72
TheflyingDutchman

Here's an alternate version. Not with Leon but Mick Taylor with a different solo than the original release.

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks for bringing that up. Taylor - and Jagger are still "searching" here.
The final release is just such a @#$%& beautiful song.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 26, 2017 17:22

Palace Revolution 2000
But I think he greatest strength might have been as a band leader, a provocateur agent, inspiring and combining other people.
Many of the lasting images of him are not so much of someone hunkered on the piano, lost in his runs, but an imposing figure seated by the piano, but very much in control, watching the band, and directing the scene.
The Cocker story, I don't know enough of. One of the best bands ever put together, but maybe not much patience? RegARDLESS it seems he ends up with an impeccable CV; always with the right folks, in the right place.

The Cocker/Russell period had such promise and potential. Great musicians.
The usual suspects got in the way:
Drink/Drugs/Women/Managers/Record Companies.

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: June 26, 2017 20:19

Yep, I was sol glad I got to see him in concert before his passing, such a talent.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 26, 2017 20:35

Palace Revolution 2000
One of the best bands ever put together

Which originally was the "and Friends" of Delaney & Bonnie and Friends.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 26, 2017 20:50

RoughJusticeOnYa
Silver Dagger

I was completely unaware of this version. Thanx for sharing!

Same to me, how could I missed this one.....

Posted by: z ()
Date: June 26, 2017 21:27

jlowe
Palace Revolution 2000

"The Cocker story" - I'm not sure there's any special story there, I think it was just a project that completed and came to an end.
Joe had an obligation to do a tour but was left with no backing band after he had a falling out with the Grease Band. So Russell and Denny Cordell put the Mad Dogs & Englishmen together for this purpose. At the same time, the 'Friends' left Delaney & Bonnie. Jim Keltner, Carl Radle, Keys & Price had enough of Delaney and his manager and deserted to Leon's project.
If I recall correctly, Bobby Keys had mostly very pleasant memories from that tour, told in his book.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-27 06:32 by z.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 27, 2017 00:04

Oh Leon Russell. He was always be a part of my childhood because as a strange little kid I was OBSESSED with Concert For Bangladesh. It was, for many years, the only way I knew him. I didn't even know until years later there's a faction that HATE his portion of the concert. Cause he's howling and its basically straight from his stage show. Its almost the highlight of a perfect concert for me. I adore that performance of Jumpin Jack Flash. Seeing a Beatle play the Stones? And THAT'S how you cover a song and make it your own. That 10 minute rendition is one of the funnest performances ever in my mind. I know every second of it by heart.

Yes, thats obviously extremely personal, but its why I never wrote him off. I never really got into his solo music or sought it out that much. The only other thing I really know him from is the phenomenal Mad Dogs And Englishmen where he is equally fantastic as Cocker's righthand man. For Bangladesh alone though, he'll always hold a special place in my heart. Amazing that music can do that to you. He has a whole career of music, never QUITE made it, yet if I were to ever meet him I would want to make it clear how much 10 minutes of his life has always stayed with mine. You have bands like the Stones that have a career of lasting impressions on me then you have one guy with one impression that means just as much as 20 of the best Stones songs.

[www.dailymotion.com]

Date: June 27, 2017 09:43

z
jlowe
Palace Revolution 2000

"The Cocker story" - I'm not sure there's any special story there, I think it was just a project that completed and came to an end.
Joe had an obligation to do a tour but was left with no backing band after he had a falling out with the Grease Band. So Russell and Denny Cordell put the Mad Dogs & Englishmen together for this purpose. At the same time, the 'Friends' left Delaney & Bonnie. Jim Keltner, Carl Radle, Keys & Price had enough of Delaney and his manager and deserted to Leon's project.
If I recall correctly, Bobby Keys had mostly very pleasant memories from that tour, told in his book.
Reason I said 'Story" is because I saw two films on Cocker, both dealing with that tour, and both saying that the expereince wiped Cocker out. That Russell saw it more as a power play; something Cocker was not into.

Posted by: z ()
Date: June 27, 2017 10:05

Yes, I think Bobby Keys said something to that effect too...

Date: June 27, 2017 12:22

It would be incredible to draw up a Rock Tree for that era because Delaney & Bonnie started it, it went through Harrison and Clapton to 'All Things Must Pass' and 'Layla' - onto the Bangla Desh show, onto the Cocker Tour.
Then you got Steve Stills putting Manassas together, and certain elements start crossing.
That is the way a band should sound and perform IMO. You see Trucks and Tedexchi carry that on. I saw a George Harrison tribute show; all his music played by today's guys, and you can see all of them loving it, and looking at each other with "why are we not always like this?" looks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1337
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home