Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT. The other Stones Live In Glasgow 24.06.17
Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: June 25, 2017 23:50

So no Rolling Stones in the UK this year As part of my 60th Celebrations my son took me to see the other Stones - The Stone Roses at Hampden Park Glasgow last night. Makes you wonder why the real Stones could even contemplate to pass on this opportunity to bypass the most passionate fans in Europe. 3 shows in Paris [give me a break] combined would not come near the reception they would have received in Scotland, Nor would the whole of the European tour. Hope the Filter is not diluted next year, when they have to fight with OASIS for the younger Element, A missed opportunity at the max.The rest of the concert was Fantastic.Stoned Love.For a sniff of what awaits The Rolling Stones if they Wan't To Be Adored'

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-26 07:41 by Tonstone.

Re: OT. The other Stones Live In Glasgow 24.06.17
Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 26, 2017 15:25

Tonstone
So no Rolling Stones in the UK this year As part of my 60th Celebrations my son took me to see the other Stones - The Stone Roses at Hampden Park Glasgow last night. Makes you wonder why the real Stones could even contemplate to pass on this opportunity to bypass the most passionate fans in Europe. 3 shows in Paris [give me a break] combined would not come near the reception they would have received in Scotland, Nor would the whole of the European tour. Hope the Filter is not diluted next year, when they have to fight with OASIS for the younger Element, A missed opportunity at the max.The rest of the concert was Fantastic.Stoned Love.For a sniff of what awaits The Rolling Stones if they Wan't To Be Adored'

[www.youtube.com]

The "most passionate fans in Europe" is very subjective. Scotland is a candidate but Southern & Eastern Europe have similarly passionate fans. Being a Scot, I've seen them twice there - Murrayfield '99 and SECC 1 in 2003. While the fans were very passionate, there were also a lot of intimidating and obnoxious neds ('yobs' or 'louts' for non-Scots) at those shows, who made it unpleasant for everyone else. At Murrayfield, a whole bunch of 15-20 of them, off their faces on goodness knows what, charged up to the front just prior to showtime, displacing others who'd been waiting all day. Anyone who had the misfortune of being near them would remember them. They were like the cast from trainspotting. I've since learnt that they came from my hometown of Hamilton.
I had a seat in 2003 and saw stuff getting chucked onto the stage. A flying pint of beer just missed Ronnie.

Anyway, the Stones will play where they can sell tickets for big money. That's been the case for a long time now and we just have to deal with it. They are all over 70 and owe us nothing. If we want to see them nowadays, we have to travel. I doubt I'll still be working at 70 (or even 60 if I can help it).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-26 15:34 by grzegorz67.

Date: June 26, 2017 16:09

Aren't they more like the other «roses»? winking smiley

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: June 26, 2017 21:26

Tonstone

[www.youtube.com]

They just are not a very good band which explains why they could not break big in the USA

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 26, 2017 21:43

Well....

[www.stereogum.com]

So much for that.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 26, 2017 22:03

i used to get well fed up when people asked me what bands i liked and i would reply that my favourite was the stones.

and they would say, the stone roses.

no, not the stone roses, there is only one stones, people need to understand that.

Date: June 26, 2017 22:49

buttons67
i used to get well fed up when people asked me what bands i liked and i would reply that my favourite was the stones.

and they would say, the stone roses.

no, not the stone roses, there is only one stones, people need to understand that.

Hey buttons you are correct there is only one Stones My favourite band of all time without dispute. But I was making a point that my son took me out for my 60th he asked who would like to see ? I said The Stones. So I got the only Stones who are playing the UK this year.

Date: June 26, 2017 22:55

DandelionPowderman
Ah could be a prickly subject. !! but having listened to their albums. IMO there is no contest. But each to their own. Have you listened to 'Stone Roses' and 'Second Coming'.?

Date: June 26, 2017 23:02

potus43
Tonstone

[www.youtube.com]

They just are not a very good band which explains why they could not break big in the USA
And what do you base your throwaway comment? Have you listened to their CDs ?. and I take it you are from USA? .As I said I always respect other peoples comments. but to say a band is no good because they did not break the USA is a shallow comment. I love lots of American Bands who would not sell in the UK. but does not stop me liking their music.

Date: June 26, 2017 23:06

keefriff99
Well....

[www.stereogum.com]

So much for that.

Not sure what your point is? have you got one.? Where you at the Gig ?

Date: June 26, 2017 23:42

Tonstone
keefriff99
Well....

[www.stereogum.com]

So much for that.

I just found it funny that the OP was gushing about how great the concert was, and apparently they're now breaking up.

Date: June 27, 2017 00:19

keefriff99
Tonstone
keefriff99
Well....

[www.stereogum.com]

So much for that.

I just found it funny that the OP was gushing about how great the concert was, and apparently they're now breaking up.

Hey these things happen, but did not take away from what was a fantastic event. Jeez how many times have the real Stones been gonna break up. I remember my first gig at Knebworth 76' was to be their last.

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: June 27, 2017 17:20

Tonstone
potus43
Tonstone

[www.youtube.com]
Potus being Potus

And what do you base your throwaway comment? Have you listened to their CDs ?. and I take it you are from USA? .As I said I always respect other peoples comments. but to say a band is no good because they did not break the USA is a shallow comment. I love lots of American Bands who would not sell in the UK. but does not stop me liking their music.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: June 28, 2017 16:32

My opinion yo. They can't catch a cold in the USA. That's all. Enjoy your dayspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: June 28, 2017 22:54

potus43
My opinion yo. They can't catch a cold in the USA. That's all. Enjoy your dayspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Respect your opinion, but thank you, you just confirmed it. You have no opinion.Sad. Have a Nice Day!!!. Are you American?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-28 23:01 by Tonstone.

Date: June 28, 2017 23:02

Tonstone
potus43

Respect your opinion, but thank you, you just confirmed it. You have no opinion.Sad. Have a Nice Day!!!. Are you American?
Can't you tell? I apologize on his behalf...he's a Trump voter obviously.

Date: June 28, 2017 23:17

keefriff99
Tonstone
potus43

Can't you tell? I apologize on his behalf...he's a Trump voter obviously.
Thank you Keefriff99. no need to apologize. I was only looking for a balanced opinion to debate, not to be dismissed, we all have different tastes in Music, Politics, etc . I can accept that. I have no trumpet to blow other than that my son took me to a gig, for a forth coming 60th birthday present. And I happened to enjoy the atmosphere and the event of being around enthusiastic concert goers. It was a great night and reminded me of my first Stones gig Knebworth 1976.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: June 29, 2017 19:28

Tonstone

[www.youtube.com]

I thought their last show at Hampden was one of the poorest Stones shows I've seen and, as a Scot, that's the opposite of what I was hoping for. The sound was poor (where I was sitting - yes, seated only and no smoking) and Keith did not seem on form. Had its moments, but I came away with the impression of a somewhat lacklustre performance. Not sure if it was even sold out. Have seen previous Scottish shows - Apollo x 2, SECC x 2 (which I thought were particularly good), Murrayfield, previous Hampden show - and didn't think that show came close. I've seen them in Paris three times, all of which have been great. I think of Paris as a Stones city, more so than Glasgow which is my chosen home town.

Date: June 29, 2017 19:43

Tonstone
DandelionPowderman
Ah could be a prickly subject. !! but having listened to their albums. IMO there is no contest. But each to their own. Have you listened to 'Stone Roses' and 'Second Coming'.?

Oh yes, good band.

Date: June 29, 2017 21:30

teleblaster
Tonstone

I thought their last show at Hampden was one of the poorest Stones shows I've seen and, as a Scot, that's the opposite of what I was hoping for. The sound was poor (where I was sitting - yes, seated only and no smoking) and Keith did not seem on form. Had its moments, but I came away with the impression of a somewhat lacklustre performance. Not sure if it was even sold out. Have seen previous Scottish shows - Apollo x 2, SECC x 2 (which I thought were particularly good), Murrayfield, previous Hampden show - and didn't think that show came close. I've seen them in Paris three times, all of which have been great. I think of Paris as a Stones city, more so than Glasgow which is my chosen home town.

[www.youtube.com]
Hi Tele yes I agree the last Glasgow show was the worst performance I have seen from the Stones - Keith was non existent due to the fact he was intoxicated and was unable to string two riffs together and if it was not for Mick's expertise the whole show could have collapsed. As you said much better in the earlier Scottish shows. I think Edinburgh[This time my home] Murrayfield was their last great Scottish show. Then I saw them at Hyde Park 2013 and they were fantastic. Let's see what happens next year, and what venues magically appear that could not accommodate them this year.

Date: June 30, 2017 00:40

Tonstone
teleblaster
Tonstone

[www.youtube.com]
Hi Tele yes I agree the last Glasgow show was the worst performance I have seen from the Stones - Keith was non existent due to the fact he was intoxicated and was unable to string two riffs together and if it was not for Mick's expertise the whole show could have collapsed. As you said much better in the earlier Scottish shows. I think Edinburgh[This time my home] Murrayfield was their last great Scottish show. Then I saw them at Hyde Park 2013 and they were fantastic. Let's see what happens next year, and what venues magically appear that could not accommodate them this year.

The Hampden '06 show was broadcast a few days later on Radio 1 by Chris Evans minus 2 songs. If it was as poor a show as you and others have said, then there must have been a fair few overdubs and lots of tidying up prior to broadcast. It was only a few months after the infamous coconut tree incident. I was at the very next show - in Cardiff and they were fine but Mick was carrying the band to a large degree. Agree about Murrayfield '99 being a cracker of a show with everyone firing on all cylinders. Mick came roaring out of the blocks and threw himself around the stage like s 25 year old. £30 GA tickets and they were still on sale right up to show time.

I was at both Hyde Park shows in 2013 and bumped into several fellow Scots at both.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: June 30, 2017 03:21

I have followed the Stone Roses since first hearing them on UK radio in the Summer of 1989. I live in the SE US, and I saw their 1st US show in Atlanta in 95, and I met and chatted with them all.

I have heard good recordings from all years of the band's live gigs, and they played as good, if not better, in 2012-2017 than in 89-90 or 95.

They sold out MSG in 2016 in their only US Gig.

WOW!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: June 30, 2017 18:19

grzegorz67
Tonstone
teleblaster
Tonstone

[www.youtube.com]

The Hampden '06 show was broadcast a few days later on Radio 1 by Chris Evans minus 2 songs. If it was as poor a show as you and others have said, then there must have been a fair few overdubs and lots of tidying up prior to broadcast. It was only a few months after the infamous coconut tree incident. I was at the very next show - in Cardiff and they were fine but Mick was carrying the band to a large degree. Agree about Murrayfield '99 being a cracker of a show with everyone firing on all cylinders. Mick came roaring out of the blocks and threw himself around the stage like s 25 year old. £30 GA tickets and they were still on sale right up to show time.

I was at both Hyde Park shows in 2013 and bumped into several fellow Scots at both.

Saw them in Paris and London on that tour before the Hampden gig and they were much better. Was also at Hyde Park (first one only, I'm afraid) and thought they were on great form.

Date: July 2, 2017 01:36

teleblaster
grzegorz67
Tonstone
teleblaster
Tonstone

[www.youtube.com]

Saw them in Paris and London on that tour before the Hampden gig and they were much better. Was also at Hyde Park (first one only, I'm afraid) and thought they were on great form.

It thought HP2 edged out HP1. They did 2 shows in Paris on ABB, the 1st in 2006 and another a year later, which I attended. Keith was well below his best but Ronnie stepped up to the plate and carried him. He was playing some of Keith's guitar parts as well as his own, with Keith noted scowling at him on the big screens!

If an extended U.K. Tour does happen next year, as has been mooted, then a show in Scotland has a chance of happening then. It could only really take place at Hampden, Parkhead, Ibrox or Murrayfield. That said, I can hardly ever remember Ibrox being used as a concert venue, other than Simple Minds and Frank Sinatra, way back in the 80s. My pick would be Murrayfield, as being Edinburgh, a much wealthier city than Glasgow, it is better placed to support the likely high ticket prices.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1799
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home