Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: The rise and fall of the rock star
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 25, 2017 18:01

Might be an interesting read. Are there any new/young rock stars anymore?

[www.theguardian.com]

Re: OT: The rise and fall of the rock star
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 25, 2017 18:19

The age of the rock star ended with the passing of physical product, the rise of automated percussion, the domination of the committee approach to hit-making, the widespread adoption of choreography and, above all, the advent of the mystique-destroying internet,” he argues. “The age of the rock star was coterminous with rock’n’roll, which, in spite of all the promises made in some memorable songs, proved to be as finite as the era of ragtime or big bands. The rock era is over. We now live in a hip-hop world.

Looks like a good book, thanks for the link dmay.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: June 25, 2017 18:42

latebloomer
The age of the rock star ended with the passing of physical product, the rise of automated percussion, the domination of the committee approach to hit-making, the widespread adoption of choreography and, above all, the advent of the mystique-destroying internet,” he argues. “The age of the rock star was coterminous with rock’n’roll, which, in spite of all the promises made in some memorable songs, proved to be as finite as the era of ragtime or big bands. The rock era is over. We now live in a hip-hop world.

Steve Earle kind of said the same about male country stars, doing hip-hop I think; that the female country artists were the only ones actually doing country.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 25, 2017 18:51

kovach
latebloomer

Steve Earle kind of said the same about male country stars, doing hip-hop I think; that the female country artists were the only ones actually doing country.

Taylor Swift Rocks!!

Date: June 25, 2017 19:27

More than anything do I blame the 'mystique destroying Internet". We know everything about everyone. Just take IORR - every one of us had these crazy notions about the Stones and their stories. Stories that built them up in our minds and made them 10 x more mysterious than they are now.
Then there is that terrible culture of The Voice-X- Factor-Idol that told kids that it is Simon Whatever, and his own conservative views, who determines who will top the charts.
Then came Rockn roll camps. Camps!
Rock stars should remain sequestered in old castles, in drug squalor and orgies. Not the stuff of camps for parents.

I agree that Hip Hop at the moment is more star oriented. But the world of pop music is a wheel. And it is in a safe zone right now. Clean cut, well scrubbed, inane lyrics. 1st time that happened we got Hendrix, the next time Sex Pistols, the 3rd time Nirvana.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 25, 2017 22:24

Any young musician still playing rock music ought to have his/her head examined. There's too many other interesting things happening right now ...

Ok to listen to the stuff, the way we listen to Sinatra, or Ellington, or Basie, or Scott Joplin, or Gershwin, or Bach.

But play it? Create in that idiom? That's a dead-end son; better work on some beats or your next-gen smartphone app or something in your garage that the world doesn't even know it needs yet ...

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: June 26, 2017 01:51

"the last of the rock stars / when hip hop drove the big cars / in the time when new media was the big idea" - bono, "Kite", 2000

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 26, 2017 02:03

LongBeachArena72
Any young musician still playing rock music ought to have his/her head examined. There's too many other interesting things happening right now ...

Ok to listen to the stuff, the way we listen to Sinatra, or Ellington, or Basie, or Scott Joplin, or Gershwin, or Bach.

But play it? Create in that idiom? That's a dead-end son; better work on some beats or your next-gen smartphone app or something in your garage that the world doesn't even know it needs yet ...

Spot on!!!! I got beat up for supporting Sinatra - Music should be expansive and innovative. Great Post !!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 26, 2017 09:25

Despite knowing words like coterminous, I don't think this guy has the faintest idea what he's talking about. winking smiley Maybe he should actually get out into the current music scene.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 26, 2017 14:18

Palace Revolution 2000
But the world of pop music is a wheel. And it is in a safe zone right now. Clean cut, well scrubbed, inane lyrics. 1st time that happened we got Hendrix, the next time Sex Pistols, the 3rd time Nirvana.

Good point - but, respectfully: the 1st time that happened we got ELVIS - the 2d time we got the BEATLES & the STONES - and only then we got Sex Pistols, Nirvana...

Not sure what kinda 'safety zone' pop music was in when Hendrix emerged; in fact, it was quite the opposite as far as I can/ could tell.

and since you're talking about "the world of pop music " (although from your argumentation I'd say you're really talking about rock), you need to include hip hop into that sequence somewhere -
cause that's exactly what it did: pulling pop out of its 'safe zone'.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 26, 2017 14:33

"the world of pop music " (although from your argumentation I'd say you're really talking about rock)

Rock is part of "the world of pop music".

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: June 26, 2017 14:56

Deltics
"the world of pop music " (although from your argumentation I'd say you're really talking about rock)

Rock is part of "the world of pop music".

...Obviously, Deltics -
but it's only a part of it, right?
"The world of pop music" is a lot bigger than "the world of rock"...
So, & in fact, that's exaclty what I was trying to say (a.o. in that part you quoted here.)

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: December 22, 2017 03:46

So, did anyone read:

UNCOMMON PEOPLE by David Hepworth

Any comments, likes, dislikes?

I just picked it up at local book store for myself, of course while shopping for others . . .

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 22, 2017 07:12

Mr. Jimi
So, did anyone read:

UNCOMMON PEOPLE by David Hepworth

No.

Because...

...if what he argues is true...

...“The age of the rock star was coterminous with rock’n’roll, which, in spite of all the promises made in some memorable songs, proved to be as finite as the era of ragtime or big bands. The rock era is over."...

...then books about an obsolete music form are also obsolete.

Thus, times not wasted is time saved. smiling smiley

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: December 22, 2017 07:35

This thread could use some Venn diagrams.

It's a provocative conversation-starter with a false premise. The present-day Rockstar still exists.

Date: December 22, 2017 15:50

Who needs to be a "star" anyway?

Keep on playing..

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 22, 2017 17:36

DandelionPowderman
Who needs to be a "star" anyway?

Why, Mr. Jagger for one and Mr. Richards for another one.

How could they possibly know how to live a normal life, when they haven't lived one since they were teenagers? They'd be totally lost.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 22, 2017 18:03

LongBeachArena72

That's absurd and inaccurate.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 22, 2017 18:51

LongBeachArena72 is missed.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 25, 2017 06:55

Rock and Roll is like a fever to me. It's something you have or don't have. You can dip in; everyone does here and there for a little flash. But to sort of need that rooted boogie woogie; to have it sort of wired in to your nervous system where you've got the 'beat' and it's a "natural" source of both comfort and excitement. I guess it's true that it's an arcane irrelevance now, and as each year passes it goes further into 'modern day' cultural obscurity; that just kinda makes it even more of a 'rock' solid resting place for me. Wild exciting purely felt and delivered rock and roll music is it's own phenom and prediliction.
I know I'm just an old cliche to a lot of new generation peeps but they are sort of the same to me, what with perfectly manicured beards and fey lumberjack casual kinda look. We had something wild and it was breaking color lines, and having grand cultural impact as a folk music that was important, sometimes even seminal, in certain political movements and etc...cultural movements to be sure....a gathering place for awhile. a Center for awhile. It's Ok that it's passe...look at the fascination latter generations have; it's heartening but hey, in the final analysis IF it's a thing of a certain place and time; like ragtime; or whatever was red-hot (and is STILL RED HOT) from the 20's or 30's...that's ok with me, If it sorta comes around again now and again with some kind of passionate streak; if that's even possible in the revved up future-shocked world of mulitple massive cyber electronics in the advent of AI and AR,m well then I guess there will be some pretty exciting multi-media replications theatrically and etc...as decades goes by; and it becomes more a 'fashion' of a certain time.
Let it be remembered that it was a time when that music was not looked upon as friendly or welcome, nor appreciated lyrically for the issues it was bringing up and confronting; and that The Doors and The Stones and The Kinks and The Beatles and other bands, like Velvet Underground; and even, maybe especially, the naked raw young AC/DC, as exciting as the emerging young Hillbilly Cat or the wild rhythm revues of Ike and Tina; or Little Richard breaking through Jump Blues into Rock and Roll almost all by himself at first....
...the fun and cliche of it all; as early as Bye Bye Birdie and all that.
I'm glad it was my era. I'm glad it hit so hard and raw,. I'm sorry it was so quickly co-opted but that's the way it goes., True rock and roll with that crazy uumping pumping rhythm is never gonna really go all the way away. Ian Hunter in Golden Age of Rock and Roll was saying it was never gonna die, "as long as children feel the need to laugh and cry" and I'll go with that. I don't care if it's OUT of Style; i like it better like that in a way. Sex Pistols, Beatles, even Stones could never have happened in the pop world that immediately preceded them....I'm still a rocker and will die one.

The mystique of and mystery fantasy of rock stardom has not that much interest for me at all and never did all that much past a point, I like it when it gets real and gets down and there's no faking that.
Most of my friends still don't 'get' how perfeft Personality Crisis by The New York Dolls was in '72/73; especially that live Don Kirshner show...totally live, You can't fake that kind of cacaphony train-wreck absolute Pistolian beauty and grace. Peeps are either gonna get it or not 'get' it.

I met a young woman in her early twenties who was totally into that song and performance; so you never know when lightning is gonna strike someone or what they're gonna do wit it. I'm Ok with being a rock and roller; and I don't care that much about 'stars' but I relish and honor giving no-holds-barred passionate performance; and appreciate it very personally and very much.

If someone does not know who The Isley Brothers or Contours were...or Chamber Brothers or James Brown or even Little Richards' early Specialty power, it's on them, not us. And I've got more than one foot into my flash on the 'best' of what's coming out now with pop even, sometimes especially, hard core 'gangsta' rap, telling more news than 'the' news....I can take it all in but at heart I need that boogie woogie chunka chunka fast rock and roll cause there's nothing else like it. It's a Portal to paradise if you get the right station at the right time; and you know it.

Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah and New Year; Lots of love to rock and roll fans on IORR. Christmas Eve here in L.A. County, three hours till midnight and Christmas Day. The Best to you all. smileys with beerthumbs up

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-25 07:03 by hopkins.

Date: December 25, 2017 13:03

LongBeachArena72

Jack White is doing awrite; as are Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and Cage The Elephant (support act NO FILTER Paris), to name but the few I can think of spontaniously while my mind is still drifting in all kindsa season's liquids...

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: December 25, 2017 14:44

RoughJusticeOnYa
LongBeachArena72

Jack White is doing awrite; as are Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and Cage The Elephant (support act NO FILTER Paris), to name but the few I can think of spontaniously while my mind is still drifting in all kindsa season's liquids...

The Black Keys, Arctic Monkeys. The problem with rock bands is they don't pump out content like pop and rap stars, and in today's music scene an act has to stay in the newsfeed. In pop and rap, and even country, songs can get cut very quickly whereas bands have four, five, or six members all writing and approving the final product. Imagine Dragons went like four years between albums so they are milking this one for all its worth, then they'll fall off for while.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-25 14:47 by TravelinMan.

Date: December 25, 2017 18:09

Rock Stars under the age of 55:

Jack White
Eddie Vedder
Beck
Bjork
Shakira
John Mayer
Courtney Love
Billy Corgan
Billy Joe Armstrong

My definition of a Rock Star is that Joe Average knows who you are, and you play some form of Rock & Roll.

A band like Radiohead may be well known, but I don't think Thom Yorke or any of the others are individually recognizable to the general public.

Taylor Swift, Christina Aguilera, Beyoncé, do not play Rock & Roll, they are Pop Stars.

Derek Trucks, Gary Clark Jr., Father John Misty, Jim James do not have the instant recognition factor.

Kurt Cobain and Chris Cornell are Dead Rock Stars who would be under 55 if they were still alive.

Date: December 25, 2017 18:48

Bjork and Shakira play a form of rock'n'roll?

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: December 25, 2017 19:04

Javadave

Jack White
Eddie Vedder
Beck
Bjork
Shakira
John Mayer
Courtney Love
Billy Corgan
Billy Joe Armstrong

My definition of a Rock Star is that Joe Average knows who you are, and you play some form of Rock & Roll.

A band like Radiohead may be well known, but I don't think Thom Yorke or any of the others are individually recognizable to the general public.

Taylor Swift, Christina Aguilera, Beyoncé, do not play Rock & Roll, they are Pop Stars.

Derek Trucks, Gary Clark Jr., Father John Misty, Jim James do not have the instant recognition factor.

Kurt Cobain and Chris Cornell are Dead Rock Stars who would be under 55 if they were still alive.
thumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 25, 2017 19:42

Javadave

Jack White
Eddie Vedder
Beck
Bjork
Shakira
John Mayer
Courtney Love
Billy Corgan
Billy Joe Armstrong

Well I guess that whole list are 'rock stars' and can afford the life-style and are awash with w syncophants. Not HUGE stars, tho I find Jack and Bjork both pretty fascinating; but not Elvis or Mick or Johnny Cash level mystique and, some would argue, I would, super insight and fascinating stories of that level of world-wide Icon Star.

No I don't think of Bjorks music as 'rock and roll' music; but somehow for me, because of her unique passionate creativity and individuality and powerful personal/political stances...and her outrageous creativity and the joy and cool she showed when appearing in ways she knew would 'shock' the press...but say something deeply in her swhe wanted to display and represent. That's all part of rock and roll to me; but yeah, stlistically, she's not coming from blues or rhythm and blues or rock and roll per se. Yet, for me, she registers as the biggest most fascinating 'rock star' (completely representing the finest of the ethos imo) of all of them. Tho Jack White has a naturalness and earthiness I really admire. The rest are interesting for their own reasons but never somehow, register as 'rock stars' to me, tho I suppose they are. Courtney had that ONE LP, imo, when it seemed she could really have a legit career of her own. Live with This; or something; her third with that group i think; it had some really wilde stuff on it; but then she turned into Cher or something. Tho a more bitter weird one. Cher used to be a rock star. For real! She really was.

So hopefully you see what I mean. Nobody can beat up a photographer at an Airort like Bjork! Other stars can threaten and pose; Bjork will jump in front of her baby carriage scratch your eyes out while pulling your hair and setting you up for the Big Thunker. She's one hell of a rock and roll star!! smiling smiley
I'm pretty sure her bodyguards are afraid of her, as it should be.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-25 19:45 by hopkins.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: December 25, 2017 20:52

Who or what is a bjork?

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: December 25, 2017 23:05

Björk Guðmundsdóttir was the singer in the Icelandic band The Sugarcubes before she went solo.

Date: December 25, 2017 23:13

Bjork and Shakira play a form of rock'n'roll?<<<<

Bjork's music is electronic inspired, but most record stores file her in their a Rock sections. Shakira plays "Rock En Espanol", and has the best set of Rock & Roll hips since Tina Turner.

Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: December 25, 2017 23:59

Oh oh oh - there's the last of the rock stars
And me and you
Oh oh oh - rock 'n roll is here to stay
But who will be left to play...

And you wait all week for a Sullivan show...

Elliott Murphy, "Last of the rockstars"...

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home