Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stu's Influences
Posted by: ChicagoCalling ()
Date: June 24, 2017 16:25

Have Stu's piano influences been covered here before; I couldn't locate

"It was just not my meat with the two saxes"

[www.facebook.com]

Re: Stu's Influences
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: June 25, 2017 18:40

I think he's the one who told Keith to go listen to the piano on Chuck Berry's songs, so I'd guess Johnnie Johnson is a big influence.

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: June 26, 2017 00:20

In the early 70's Stu asked me if I could put a video tape (actually a 16 MM film reel) together of some of his favorite artist. Among the artist I put together for Stu were Art Blakey , Bill Evans, Art Tatum, Eubie Blake, Big Joe Turner and bunch more. He also liked Charlie Parker. The Stu that I knew was a wonderful, polite man
who really seemed to dislike the fame that followed the other band members. He preferred not being attacked trying to walk down the street. I had some really great talks with him about the Stones musical history especially the early days(he had a great memory). He was a avid photographer and had an amazing collection of photos of the band that he took. I hope this helps a little.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 26, 2017 07:44

VideoJames
In the early 70's Stu asked me if I could put a video tape (actually a 16 MM film reel) together of some of his favorite artist. Among the artist I put together for Stu were Art Blakey , Bill Evans, Art Tatum, Eubie Blake, Big Joe Turner and bunch more. He also liked Charlie Parker. The Stu that I knew was a wonderful, polite man
who really seemed to dislike the fame that followed the other band members. He preferred not being attacked trying to walk down the street. I had some really great talks with him about the Stones musical history especially the early days(he had a great memory). He was a avid photographer and had an amazing collection of photos of the band that he took. I hope this helps a little.

thumbs up

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: June 26, 2017 15:53

Thanks loads James for the input. Great stuff.Stu was certainly the real deal. Would very be cool if someone did a documentary on his life.

Date: June 26, 2017 21:03

They is one in the works I believe. I was contacted over a year ago by someone wanting to put one together. I don't know how far they are right now. Their was a great tribute book on Stu. Published by Genesis Book by Will Nash. It is/was very expensive, something like $800.00 US. There is rare footage of Stu playing bass with the Rolling Stones for the dress rehearsal on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1969. Seems Bill Wyman wasn't there so Stu filled in so the Sullivan camera men cold get their
shots ready for the actual broadcast (aired later). And no I do not have this "very" rare video footage. However there are photos taken from the rehearsal that are out there.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 26, 2017 21:24

VideoJames
They is one in the works I believe. I was contacted over a year ago by someone wanting to put one together. I don't know how far they are right now. Their was a great tribute book on Stu. Published by Genesis Book by Will Nash. It is/was very expensive, something like $800.00 US. There is rare footage of Stu playing bass with the Rolling Stones for the dress rehearsal on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1969. Seems Bill Wyman wasn't there so Stu filled in so the Sullivan camera men cold get their
shots ready for the actual broadcast (aired later). And no I do not have this "very" rare video footage. However there are photos taken from the rehearsal that are out there.

Photo replaced after the previous one kicked the (Photo)bucket

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-08 21:38 by Deltics.

Date: June 26, 2017 21:26

Thanks once again James for the update, and yes it would awesome to see that Stu documentary come to fruition. Please keep us posted. The only solid video I have of Stu playing except on a Stone's song here or there during concerts was the great Ronnie Lane Band concert video at the Rockpalast from 1980. Stu was respectfully showcased by Laney at that gig. Yea, I never could see coughing up $800 for the excellent Genesis publication as much as I was tempted...

Date: June 26, 2017 22:12

filstan
Thanks once again James for the update, and yes it would awesome to see that Stu documentary come to fruition. Please keep us posted. The only solid video I have of Stu playing except on a Stone's song here or there during concerts was the great Ronnie Lane Band concert video at the Rockpalast from 1980. Stu was respectfully showcased by Laney at that gig. Yea, I never could see coughing up $800 for the excellent Genesis publication as much as I was tempted...

BTW the Stu Book is titled "Outtake" and I believe Will Nash ended up self publishing the book (I could be wrong). If I hear more about the Stu film I will post it. The Rolling Stones 1982 Leeds DVD from Eaggle Rock is the last piece of footage of Stu playing live with the Stones. I believe I have some 1985 footage of Stu in the Studio with the Stones recording "Dirty Work" as the last footage of Stu with the band.(I have to look at it again as I haven't watched in years).

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 26, 2017 22:15

Thank you for your invaluable comments and inputs, VideoJames. thumbs up

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: June 27, 2017 00:34

Wow Video James from Bill German's book. Awesome. Tell me do you still favour VHS or have you gone over to DVD?

Date: June 27, 2017 04:57

Thanks Videojames for the knowledge of Stu's story. Sorry to admit I never really paid much attention to Stu. I read he was cast aside from the spotlight because of his "looks" but I think his looks were bad. What I like most about Stu is that he was OK with it, didn't resent the boys or the fame or anything like that.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: June 27, 2017 15:20

Thank You VideoJames,always a pleasure to hear from you...

Date: June 27, 2017 15:46

BitchKeepsBitchin
Thanks Videojames for the knowledge of Stu's story. Sorry to admit I never really paid much attention to Stu. I read he was cast aside from the spotlight because of his "looks" but I think his looks were bad. What I like most about Stu is that he was OK with it, didn't resent the boys or the fame or anything like that.

A «don't» missing in there, perhaps? smoking smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 27, 2017 18:26

how cool would a 'Stu's eye view' of the Stones' rise to fame be. or a new collection of his photos, film, etc. He was absolutely in a unique position as participant/ observer.

that video clip of Stu with Ronnie Lane, Rockpalast :

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 27, 2017 19:14

duke richardson
how cool would a 'Stu's eye view' of the Stones' rise to fame be. or a new collection of his photos, film, etc. He was absolutely in a unique position as participant/ observer.

[www.youtube.com]

That's the one Duke! While I have the dvd in my collection and watch it a few times each year, thanks for posting it for others that might not have seen it, or don't yet have it.

Stu and Laney, two of the all time greats.thumbs up

Date: June 27, 2017 21:10

Deltics
VideoJames

what was up with all that tinfoil, i wonder...

Date: June 27, 2017 21:29

filstan
duke richardson

[www.youtube.com]

That's the one Duke! While I have the dvd in my collection and watch it a few times each year, thanks for posting it for others that might not have seen it, or don't yet have it.

Stu and Laney, two of the all time greats.thumbs up

im glad you reminded me of it ! smiling smiley

i watch it fairly often at work...winking smiley

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 28, 2017 08:29

Charlie has said he loved Tubby Hayes (who I think is great), but Stu thought he was horrible.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: June 28, 2017 09:18

Deltics
VideoJames

Bill was already fired from the picture! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 28, 2017 11:00

ouroux58
Deltics
VideoJames

Bill was already fired from the picture! >grinning smiley<

More like 'photoshopped' out (and it wouldn't be the last time... smoking smiley )

Posted by: z ()
Date: June 28, 2017 11:06

vertigojoe
Wow Video James from Bill German's book. Awesome. Tell me do you still favour VHS or have you gone over to DVD?

Somebody must have left the book open and he sneaked out...

Posted by: ChicagoCalling ()
Date: June 30, 2017 19:24

Thanks to everyone who has posted! Thank you VideoJames for your post(s) in particular. I did find the liner notes that Stu wrote for the 'Rocket 88' LP and they provided a great deal of info. Here's an excerpt:

"Anyone reading the line-up of musicians on this album would be forgiven for thinking that this is yet another jazz-rock fusion. It is, in fact, a straight-forward, mainly instrumental blues album with boogie woogie as its foundation.

My first love, musically speaking, was the sound of boogie woogie piano. Although I first heard it practiced on commercial records by the white swing bands of the Forties, I soon discovered Albert Ammons and Pete Johnson; and to this day I still find Ammons' Blue Note recordings and the Ammons/Johnson duets very moving. From that point it was a natural progression to the records of Ammons and Johnson backing Joe Turner, Sippie Wallace and others; the Bluebird label recordings of Bob Call and Big Maceo (the latter in my opinion the only player to rank with Ammons); Milt Buckner with the unbelievable Lionel Hampton (in the late Forties); the bands of New Orleans pianists Fats Domino and Amos Milburn; Sammy Price backing blues and gospel artists for U.S.Decca; and the great R&B artists of the Fifties, such as Wynonie Harris and Louis Jordan – in whose bands the pianos played eight to the bar and the saxes ruled. I dreamt of one day organizing a band with these influences.

When I first met Brian Jones in 1961, he said that he wanted to form a rhythm & blue band; and I had hoped that he had a Wynonie Harris sort of things in mind. I was a little disappointed at the time that his idea of R&B was Slim Harpo, Jimmy Reed and Muddy Waters – styles that did not always leave too much space for pianos and tenor sax.

The idea of a boogie woogie bands was forgotten until 1978, when some of England's best musicians celebrated the 50th anniversary of boogie woogie, a term which had first appeared on a record label in 1928 ("Pinetops' Boogie Woogie"). The first concert was largely instrumental, but was successful; and the formula was repeated, while giving more freedom to the horns and introducing vocals from Alexis Korner - and later from Danny Adler and others. Working by necessity from a pool of musicians, we arrived at Rocket88, a band with the best horn players in Europe, a very powerful rhythm section, and the only boogie woogie piano team in the world.

Of the musicians on this record, Messrs. Korner, Jack Bruce and Charlie Watts should need no introduction. In the early Sixties, they were the power behind Alexis' Blues Incorporated, a band which was a catalyst for a musical revolution. When John Picard was asked how Colin Smith, Don Weller and he should be described on a sleeve note, he jokingly said "British Jazz Legends," but this really sums it up rather well. They have been around for years, have huge sounds, are great blues players, and are, above all, powerful swingers. George Green, like Meade Lux Lewis and Albert Ammons before him, is a taxi driver. Bob Hall is a patent attorney, but over years he has had much playing experience: with Chicken Shack, Savoy Brown, and backing nearly every American blues artist to play in Britain – including Little Walter and Howlin' Wolf. Which brings us to Hal "Cornbread" Singer, one of the innovators of the honking tenor sax style. Hal had a hit record with "Cornbread" in the late Forties and made a series of records for Savoy in the Forties and Fifties. He was a session tenor player for the King and Deluxe labels and is the tenor player on Wynonie Harris' "Good Rockin' Tonight." Hal has recorded or been on the road with Brownie McGhee, Ray Charles, Lowell Fousen, H-Bomb Ferguson and Joe Turner. More recently he has been living in Paris and playing all over Europe.

Of the titles on this album, "Roadhouse Boogie" and "Rocet88" are both Pete Johnson numbers from 1949, originally recorded for the Swingtime label. The latter (not to be confused with the Jacky Brenston/Ike Turner hit) is probably still available on the Arhoolie Joe Turner album. "Roadhouse Boogie" appeared on a European Polydor album under Lloyd Glenn’s name. "St. Louis Blues" follows the Albert Ammons Mercury arrangements . . . "

"It was just not my meat with the two saxes"

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 1, 2017 02:07

GOLF ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: July 1, 2017 02:20

I just recently picked up that 1978 lp called "Jamming the Boogie" by Bob Hall & George Green with Charlie on all the traks & produced by Ian.....very good & interesting stuff...

Date: July 8, 2017 01:48

Deltics
VideoJames

Photo replaced after the previous one was kicked into the(Photo)bucket

This picture means so much to me, thank you. I could not believe it for a second and thougt it fwas oto-shopped.
And I love this thread too. It's got me searching for, and enjoying some famous players I had never really listened to frankly.

The thing I remember about Stu live was his intensity. You'd think, what with his influencs and heart being with Blakely and that general direction, that he's carry that 'sophistication' w him in his music and approach onstage. I rarely, if ever, hear, or read, recounts of Stu live with them, and he had done a huge number of performances w (or secretly as) a Rolling Stone.

What I remember from '72, and a BIG part of my concert experience, of course, is to always sort of 'get closer' to the actual performers energy and watch how people work off of each other.....that's what helps me feel really present and a part of it; especially, of course, when the music has REALLY got my body in the groove w it.

Stu was ferocious actually. I noticed that. And I remember it even now. He was like not too very subtle if you know what I mean.
You could sort of say he was smashing at it; not missing-note-sloppy-banging like my dearest Little Richard Penniman, but precise and ON it.

He was hitting them hard. He was. You could see the physicality of it. He was NOT fooling around or 'augmenting' things per se, he was hitting it hard.
A little red in the face it seemed actually; lifting his hands a little higher-up than most professional pianists would, and really slamming 'em down, hitting hard.

I loved his take-no-prisoners stance about refusing to play a minor chord haha, if tha'ts true it's brilliant.

Date: July 8, 2017 21:08

haha he's holding the bass the way Bill does too. thumbs upsmiling smiley
He's got the angle right; he's waaay the hell up the fretboard.
The neck and headstock (out of frame) are at solid Two Oh Clock ala Mr. W.
makes me love Stu all the more. he knows them inside and out; upside and down;
little shower of shits...
cool smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1770
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home