Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

best albums that took a long time to make
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: June 23, 2017 06:12

The "Chinese Democracy" thread in light of Stones long-brewing project.

Best projects that were long in the making

- Def Leppard / Hysteria - notoriously belabored and delayed, still a favorite
- GNR - Use Your Illusion 1&2
- Peter Gabriel - Us - six years to follow So and IMO it's better
- Roger Waters new record is pretty good...

Re: best albums that took a long time to make
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 23, 2017 08:06

Peter Gabriel and Roger Waters are the only two that are worthy imo.
And believe it or not, it only took six months (or less) for Roger Waters to make the album (he might of had a few song sketches or lyrics prior)...although it had been 25 years since the last.

Guns'N'Roses...I really liked Appetite for Destruction and saw them play it live in '88, but by the time the illusion albums came out, their sound was overproduced and they were "bloated" egomaniacs.
Should have kept it at one album, and trimmed off all the unnecessary fat.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 23, 2017 09:06

You could argue Brian Wilson's Smile. Either the version he finally put out or the Beach Boys box set one, which basically proved they had the album but just needed time away to fully realize it.

Big Star's Third is another one of those weird ones, cause like Smile it never really "came out" but was more just compiled into a useable record. Still came out great though.

Bob Seger's Wreck This Heart is excellent. Not sure how long it took cause it came after a hiatus and not a writer's block, but still really good. Way better than it should have been. Ray Davies' first solo album is similar to that.

If we're doing 3 year breaks then Bruce's Darkness On The Edge Of Town through lawsuits and bad stuff came out pretty flawless.

George Harrison's Brainwashed count?

I believe Bat Out Of Hell took years to finally get made.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 23, 2017 09:23

TATTOO YOU... 1972-1981.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 23, 2017 09:31

I first thought of Hysteria although in today's era, it was 4 years or so between Pyromania and Hysteria, which isn't that long. I remember back then it was forever. They released the single Me and My Wine in 84 but then Rick Allen suffered his terrible accident over the Christmas holidays. I remember they were able to re-attach his arm but then infections set in so they had to remove it.
They had to get a totally new digital drum set developed so he could continue playing with the band.
Hysteria was an awesome album and had so many hit singles and stayed in the charts for over a year. Just saw Leppard two weeks ago in Vancouver and it was a really good show.
Also have to mention Van Halen, Van Halen 3 with Gary Cherone was released in the late 90's and finally A Different Kind Of Truth with DLR was released in 2012.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: June 23, 2017 09:39

She's The Boss 1979-1985. Sorry, bad joke.

Date: June 23, 2017 10:03

DGA35
I first thought of Hysteria although in today's era, it was 4 years or so between Pyromania and Hysteria, which isn't that long. I remember back then it was forever. They released the single Me and My Wine in 84 but then Rick Allen suffered his terrible accident over the Christmas holidays. I remember they were able to re-attach his arm but then infections set in so they had to remove it.
They had to get a totally new digital drum set developed so he could continue playing with the band.
Hysteria was an awesome album and had so many hit singles and stayed in the charts for over a year. Just saw Leppard two weeks ago in Vancouver and it was a really good show.
Also have to mention Van Halen, Van Halen 3 with Gary Cherone was released in the late 90's and finally A Different Kind Of Truth with DLR was released in 2012.

I believe mutt lange has come out and said most of the drums on pyromania and hysteria were drum machines anyways so rick wasn't even needed at the sessions really

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 23, 2017 10:04

The new Chuck Berry album.
I believe his last one was released about 35 years ago.

Posted by: Starr ()
Date: June 23, 2017 11:20

..thought this was a Stones forum...

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 23, 2017 14:52

Starr

Well, let's say Blue & Lonesome, as A Bigger Bang was a decade previous.

Likewise, Crosseyed Heart in 2015 and Main Offender in 1993.

Date: June 23, 2017 14:59

Send It To me
The "Chinese Democracy" thread in light of Stones long-brewing project.

Best projects that were long in the making

- Def Leppard / Hysteria - notoriously belabored and delayed, still a favorite
- GNR - Use Your Illusion 1&2
- Peter Gabriel - Us - six years to follow So and IMO it's better
- Roger Waters new record is pretty good...

Those are in reality four albums. Didn't really take so long, did they?

Date: June 23, 2017 15:00

tomcasagranda
Starr

None of those album took a long time to make?

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 23, 2017 18:32

the next stones studio album seems to be taking a long time to make.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 24, 2017 11:06

Exile was "built" between 69 and 72 which at the time was very long, right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-24 11:08 by dcba.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: June 24, 2017 11:31

Seven years for the Grateful Dead between the studio efforts "Go To Heaven" (1980) and their commercial breakthrough "In The Dark". (1987). Many of the songs on that album were given live debuts in 1982.

The Modern Lovers only studio album wasn't released until after the band had broken up.

Jim Morrison recorded his poems for "An American Prayer" in 1970, but it wasn't until the end of that decade when the surviving Doors recorded the backing music and completed that album.

Bob Dylan and The Band's "The Basement Tapes" were recorded in 1968 but not officially released in their entirety until 1975, although some of that material surfaced on Dylan's 1972 "Greatest Hits Volume II" album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-24 11:32 by Javadave.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 24, 2017 12:02

Javadave
Bob Dylan and The Band's "The Basement Tapes" were recorded in 1968 but not officially released in their entirety until 1975, although some of that material surfaced on Dylan's 1972 "Greatest Hits Volume II" album.

The Basement Tapes were never intended to be an album or to be released (at least not in the form they were recorded – all releases (except for the official bootleg series release) were re-worked/re-recorded versions, even the songs on the 1975 release).

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 24, 2017 14:38

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 24, 2017 15:53

As a huge Beach Boys fan, I must take exception to Smile - in many ways similar to TSMR - a few great songs (Surf's Up, Heroes and Villains, etc.) and a lot of acid induced silliness.

Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, maybe.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 24, 2017 16:36

DandelionPowderman
tomcasagranda
Starr

None of those album took a long time to make?

Yeah there seems to be complete confusion over the difference between the amount of time between a band's or artist's albums and the amount of time actually spent in studio working on an album. You can be on hiatus for 5 years and then cut a record in a month. A record like that didn't really take 5 years to make ...

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: June 24, 2017 16:47

Perhaps why it takes so long for people like Mick and keith to write new material comes from the body of work they already have. It must be difficult for them to not tread on their own toes. They must work on songs and then have to drop them because they sound too much like something they have already done. How many variations are left for them, it must get increasingly difficult with each new album to come up with something different.

Date: June 24, 2017 17:03

stone4ever
Perhaps why it takes so long for people like Mick and keith to write new material comes from the body of work they already have. It must be difficult for them to not tread on their own toes. They must work on songs and then have to drop them because they sound too much like something they have already done. How many variations are left for them, it must get increasingly difficult with each new album to come up with something different.

I think any artist worth his/her salt worries about repeating him/herself. That fear can be paralyzing; the search for something 'new' can make you reticent to explore paths you've taken before.

But the most wonderful art often comes from the humblest, most 'familiar' beginnings. A musician can start off playing a standard blues vamp and then, through sheer force of inspiration, add that one little fill or a mid-tune change or an irresistible bridge that instantly elevates the familiar into the novel. I don't think their problem is inherently the intimidating specter of their legacy. I think they've just lost the ability to create, to act, in Keith's terms, as antennae picking up and processing the world around them.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 24, 2017 17:04

LongBeachArena72
stone4ever

I think any artist worth his/her salt worries about repeating him/herself. That fear can be paralyzing; the search for something 'new' can make you reticent to explore paths you've taken before.

But the most wonderful art often comes from the humblest, most 'familiar' beginnings. A musician can start off playing a standard blues vamp and then, through sheer force of inspiration, add that one little fill or a mid-tune change or an irresistible bridge that instantly elevates the familiar into the novel. I don't think their problem is inherently the intimidating specter of their legacy. I think they've just lost the ability to create, to act, in Keith's terms, as antennae picking up and processing the world around them.

Midnight Rambler being a great example of this.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: June 24, 2017 17:24

Elmo Lewis
LongBeachArena72
stone4ever

Midnight Rambler being a great example of this.

Yep, precisely.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: June 24, 2017 18:37

Pete Townshend and The Who abandoned the "Lifehouse" project and released the truncated "Who's Next" instead, but this guy has made a solid effort at reconstructing Pete's original vision of this work:

[albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.com]

Date: June 24, 2017 20:39

Javadave
Pete Townshend and The Who abandoned the "Lifehouse" project and released the truncated "Who's Next" instead, but this guy has made a solid effort at reconstructing Pete's original vision of this work:

That's a cool blog. He also 'reconstructs' Could You Walk on the Water?, the long-delayed Stones album that morphed into Aftermath.

Perhaps in a couple of years he can take on the oft-delayed post-Blue & Lonesome record that the Stones never released.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 24, 2017 21:50

Javadave

Here's a link to the better fresher 2016 reconstruction :
[albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.fr]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 25, 2017 04:29

Sgt. Pepper took over 700 hours spread over several months, which was unheard of in those days. By contrasts, the Beatles' first album, Please Please Me, was made in 13 hours -- or, I should say, recorded in 13 hours. I suppose post-production, mixing, etc., adds to the making of a record, doesn't it?

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: June 25, 2017 06:12

Back then, the Floyd's "Dark Side" and ""Wish U were here" were considered to have been extraordinarily long in the making. By today's standards they were real quickies ... LOL

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: June 27, 2017 06:31

Shuggie Otis -- "Wings of Love." Started as a follow up to "Inspiration/Information" in 1975, includes tracks recorded through 2000, released in 2013. Not quite up to "I/I", but good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1749
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home