Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Just My Imagination live versions?
Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: June 22, 2017 00:50

masseywinos
When Mick is playing guitar is he actually playing anything?

He's just playing A & D open chords during parts of the song. The verse & chorus just rocks back and forth between those 2 chords.

Very simple, but helps drives the rhythm a bit while Ronnie & Keith play little riffs and different voicings (variations) of the chords.

You can see & hear it here:

[youtu.be]

I think he said at one of the 1978 shows when he strapped on his guitar, " Keith said I can play this if I play quietly."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-22 00:54 by GS1978.

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: June 22, 2017 02:32

Love this! Mmm sooo good. Beautiful 2015? Gee. They're still good! smiling smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 22, 2017 03:10

Did they play in in '89/90? This is another number that Bill is really important on.

Date: June 22, 2017 15:41

24FPS
Did they play in in '89/90? This is another number that Bill is really important on.

No. After July 25th,1982 ..... not again until January 16th,1995 in Mexico City.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: June 22, 2017 16:14

Is there any audio from that Mexico show?

Date: June 22, 2017 19:14

GS1978
Palace Revolution 2000
My first Stones gig was Philadelphia '78 at JFK. I dont remember many things anymore. But I do remember that 'Imagination" rocked. It went on and on, and I really felt like I went to another plain during the song. ( I was also pretty loaded)

My 1st Stones show too.

And I clearly remember the great vibe that went through the stadium during that number. After all the waiting, the rain, the pushing & shoving I remember how good they sounded. A plane passed overhead during the 1st guitar break and I turned around and looked back and saw 90,000 fans swaying to a Motown cover that was barely a week old.

While that show had problems (they messed up a great version of Respectable halfway through, Foreigner played too long, rain, no security, etc,), the show had plenty of high points like Just My Imagination.

Hey GS, yeah I love telling that story about Foreigner. We were just HATING that damn band, LOL. We came down from NYC, then outside the stadium all night; then the mad crush at 6am when they only opened two tiny gates for thousands of rabid, very intoxicated fans. Ran down onto the grass, prett6 far up front, only to realize then that we were landlocked from then on out. For the next 7-8 hours. We had lots to consume, but no one could get out to go to the bathroom etc. But Foreigner...do you remember that they kept coming up to take a bow all arm in arm? And everyone was yelling "Go away!" and throwing stuff; and they'd smile and go "Yeah rockn roll" and do yet another encore, LOL. It was torture.
But when I saw Charlie saunter up and seat himself behind the drums, I felt like a little teenybopper. I just couldn't believe it was really them!
I;m glad I saw them when it was all taken for granted: that it would be Keith and Ronnie singing back-up; that it was Mac and Stu on keys; and that they played just about the entire new album.
And we got "Satisfaction" - I think it might have been the only time of the tour. ( NO - I checked: Chicago, Boulder and Oakland got it too)

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: June 22, 2017 20:29

I do remember how bad Foreigner got treated for overstaying their welcome with extended bows. Someone threw an orange that hit the bassist's poncho and left a big wet mark. After that the floodgates open and they had to run off stage

I made the trip down from North Jersey the night before and camped out by a gate. Drank thru the night, woke up with my face resting on the pavement -- just in time to race for the gate opening and the mad dash to the front of stage. And then the awful wait -- with a hangover, nothing to eat or drink, rain, etc.

I do remember the crowd chanting "We want the Stones" right before they came on to deafening applause and I really do remember how great Just My Imagination sounded and how it created such a cool, interesting vibe in a crowd of 90,000 tough, tired and hungover Philly, NJ & NYC kids.

btw Palace Revolution 2000 -- here are a few pics I posted in an earlier thread about JKF 1978 [iorr.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-22 20:39 by GS1978.

Date: June 23, 2017 15:21

peoplewitheyes
Is there any audio from that Mexico show?

Yes,but,it is not anything to write home about.

"Imagination" , the first Voodoo Lounge version of Gimme Shelter , and a very rare Voodoo Lounge version of "You Can't Always Get What You Want" ..... otherwise,nothing special compared to other 1995 (and '94) audio tapes.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 23, 2017 16:51

I'll take this one:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 23, 2017 17:04

Hard to beat this one. Everybody's on top of their game here.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: June 23, 2017 17:21

I like Mick on guitar. It makes him stand in front of the mike and sing the song, not perform it.

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: June 23, 2017 19:08

What a great friggin band playing a great effin song.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 24, 2017 11:15

Nothing holds a candle to the nearly 10 minute 1981 Hampton version. Keith and Ronnie would not let Mick end the song, they just kept jamming. A solid rocking version. I've yet to hear anything that rivals it.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 24, 2017 12:29

The Sicilian
Nothing holds a candle to the nearly 10 minute 1981 Hampton version. Keith and Ronnie would not let Mick end the song, they just kept jamming. A solid rocking version. I've yet to hear anything that rivals it.

You mean the Dec 18th version?

It´s great, yes, but go for the Dec 19th version, released as an edit
for Still Life. It´s even better than the day before. No edit,
no overdubs, just brilliant! It was reased on Wolfgang´s vault in great
sound.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: June 24, 2017 12:40

Hampton 18th dec.

That IS the desert Island one for me. How you can reach such a nirvana or whatever you'd call it with just A and D is a thing ONLY the Stones can do.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 24, 2017 12:46

LongBeachArena72
I'll take this one:

[www.youtube.com]

Oh wow. I was not expecting Prince (MN fan). His vocal, breathtaking. What a range.
ETA: I'd never heard that before. Unbelievable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-24 12:55 by 35love.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 24, 2017 16:17

GS1978
masseywinos
When Mick is playing guitar is he actually playing anything?

He's just playing A & D open chords during parts of the song. The verse & chorus just rocks back and forth between those 2 chords.

Very simple, but helps drives the rhythm a bit while Ronnie & Keith play little riffs and different voicings (variations) of the chords.

You can see & hear it here:

[youtu.be]

I think he said at one of the 1978 shows when he strapped on his guitar, " Keith said I can play this if I play quietly."

Yep, A and D with one E chord at "surely die". easy song to play - not easy to weave like our heroes though.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 24, 2017 16:25

35love
LongBeachArena72
I'll take this one:

[www.youtube.com]

Oh wow. I was not expecting Prince (MN fan). His vocal, breathtaking. What a range.
ETA: I'd never heard that before. Unbelievable.

I hadn't either--wonderful, isn't it?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 24, 2017 16:40

I have 2 fav. live versions RS 'JMI'
Leeds 1982 - what can I say to you guitar people here- nothing. (lol)
And 2006 Beacon theatre
'she doesn't @#$%& know me!'

[m.youtube.com]

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1789
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home