Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: The best B-side?
Posted by: Witness ()
Date: June 13, 2017 10:47

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
Witness
LeonidP
Witness
Blueranger

The "B-side" as I meant it, is original tracks that appeared on flip-sides of singles and which had not appeared on any original album (UK and US).

Either you make it a separate question for Europe and USA then, or you in reality make it a question of a list for the USA alone. Because to many Europeans "Ruby Tuesday has to be among the considered candidates for a best B-side.

Or leave it as he did ... it was fairly obvious what he meant, not to mention he included the tracks of choices.

For a European who bought so many 60s singles back then, it would be a stupid set of choices, which does not include "Ruby Tuesday" as an option for a possible best B-side.

that single is considered a double A side. a single released where either side could be played as the single. it was done that way because a lot of stations weren't going to play "lets spend the night together" because of the lyrics so they were able to play "ruby Tuesday" in the current single slot for the stones instead

Are you sure this was the intent when they released it, or wouldn't it rather be what happened AFTER radio stations started cencoring the A-side?

HTW/YCAGWYW was also called a double A-side, but it wasn't by release time.

I have myself once written about "Ruby Tuesday" seen as part of a double A-side. Over time I have become uncertain about my original impression at that point, and even what my memory was earlier on. At least, that objection acknowledges "Ruby Tuesday" as part of a single release.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: June 13, 2017 11:01

'Ruby Tuesday' is a US album track. I don't care if it was a 'B-side' in the UK, because that was not what my question was pointed at.

If 'Ruby Tuesday' appeared on an album, it is not a B-side only track (and it B-sides only that I asked for).

I couldn't care less if some european fan feels hurt over his / her's point of view, that tracks appearing on US albums 'doesn't count', because they do.
The US albums are documented as being compiled by the Stones and Andrew Oldham, and thereby just as valid as the UK counterparts.

Date: June 13, 2017 11:29

Blueranger
What do you think are the band's best B-side of their singles?
As we know, some UK B-sides were transformed to US album tracks, and vice versa - "Play With Fire" and "The Singer Not The Song" are those kinds, so they ARE album tracks tracks in some kind of form.

For reference, here are the unique tracks originally only released as B-side's:

I Want To Be Loved
Stoned
Sad Day
Long Long While
Who's Driving Your Plane?
Dandelion
Child Of The Moon
Let It Rock (later appeared on "Sticky Fingers" Super Deluxe, in remixed form).
Through The Lonely Nights
Everything's Turning To Gold
I Think I'm Going Mad
Fancy Man Blues
Cook Cook Blues
Wish I'd Never Met You
The Storm
So Young (an alternative version later appeared on "Some Girls" Deluxe Edition).
Jump On Top Of Me
I'm Gonna Drive
Anyway You Look At It

All, or most, of these tracks have appeared on EPs or compilation albums, though.

Posted by: LukeTheDrifter ()
Date: June 13, 2017 11:39

Top 5 b-sides:

1. Everything's Turning To Gold
2. Child Of The Moon
3. Long Long While
4. Wish I'd Never Met You
5. Who's Driving Your Plane?

Date: June 13, 2017 11:52

My top 5:

Child Of The Moon
Dandelion
Everything Is Turning To Gold
I Want To Be Loved
So Young

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: June 13, 2017 11:54

Blueranger
'Ruby Tuesday' is a US album track. I don't care if it was a 'B-side' in the UK, because that was not what my question was pointed at.

If 'Ruby Tuesday' appeared on an album, it is not a B-side only track (and it B-sides only that I asked for).

I couldn't care less if some european fan feels hurt over his / her's point of view, that tracks appearing on US albums 'doesn't count', because they do.
The US albums are documented as being compiled by the Stones and Andrew Oldham, and thereby just as valid as the UK counterparts.

I must apologize then. I was not meant to take part in the discussion. Very well.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 13, 2017 12:24

retired_dog
kowalski

Then remove Under The Radar and Don't Wanna Go Home from my list and you'll get only "tracks that appeared on flip-sides of singles". smiling smiley

And what about "When The Whip Comes Down (Detroit, USA, July 6, 1978)"? It's undoubtedly a fantastic version, but I have yet to come across a single which has it as its b-side.

Ok, this one slipped in...

Let It Rock (Leeds, UK, March 13, 1971) - B-side to Brown Sugar UK EP
Beast Of Burden (Chicago, USA, November 25, 1981) - B-side to Going To A Go Go (live version) 7" single
Gimme Shelter (Clemson, USA, November 26, 1989) - Cassette single (ok, technically not a b-side)
Play With Fire (Clemson, USA, November 26, 1989) - B-side to Highwire single
Undercover Of The Night (Atlantic City, USA, December 19, 1989) - B-side to Ruby Tuesday (Live version) single
Harlem Shuffle (Tokyo, Japan, February 27, 1990) - B-side to Ruby Tuesday (Live version) single
2000 Light Years From Home (Barcelona, Spain, June 13, 1990) - B-side to Highwire single
I Just Want To Make Love To You (Wembley, UK, July 6, 1990) - B-side to Highwire single
Tumbling Dice (Wembley, UK, August 24, 1990) - B-side to Jumpin' Jack Flash (Live version) single
Street Fighting Man (Wembley, UK, August 25, 1990) - B-side to Jumpin' Jack Flash (Live version) single
I Go Wild (Miami, USA, November 25, 1994) - B-side to I Go Wild CD single
Gimme Shelter (Amsterdam, Netherlands, May 26, 1995) - B-side to Wild Horses CD single
All Down The Line (Amsterdam, Netherlands, May 27, 1995) - B-side to Like A Rolling Stone CD-single
Tumbling Dice (Rehearsals/Paris, France, July 3, 1995) - B-side to Wild Horses CD single
Black Limousine (London, UK, July 19, 1995) - B-side to Like A Rolling Stone CD-single
Live With Me (London, UK, July 19, 1995) - B-side to Wild Horses CD single
Dance (Pt. 1) (Olympia, Paris, France, July 11, 2003) - B-side to Biggest Mistake CD-single
Before They Make Me Run (Olympia, Paris, France, July 11, 2003) - B-side to Biggest Mistake CD-single
Hand Of Fate (Olympia, Paris, France, July 11, 2003) - B-side to Biggest Mistake 7" single

Date: June 13, 2017 12:37

DandelionPowderman
Blueranger
As we know, some UK B-sides were transformed to US album tracks, and vice versa - "Play With Fire" and "The Singer Not The Song" are those kinds, so they ARE album tracks tracks in some kind of form.

I Want To Be Loved
Stoned
Sad Day
Long Long While
Dandelion
Child Of The Moon
I Think I'm Going Mad
Fancy Man Blues
Cook Cook Blues
Wish I'd Never Met You
The Storm
So Young (an alternative version later appeared on "Some Girls" Deluxe Edition).
Jump On Top Of Me
I'm Gonna Drive
Anyway You Look At It

All, or most, of these tracks have appeared on EPs or compilation albums, though.

is there a concerned effort on this forum to overlook the point. it says originally appeared as a non album b side. first off NONE of those songs appear on any officially released stones EP. the band is only credited as releasing 3 EP's and none of those songs listed are on them. second compilations are not contemporary studio albums

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 13, 2017 12:48

keefriffhard4life

is there a concerned effort on this forum to overlook the point. it says originally appeared as a non album b side. first off NONE of those songs appear on any officially released stones EP. the band is only credited as releasing 3 EP's and none of those songs listed are on them. second compilations are not contemporary studio albums

It depends on where you live, there were 15 EPs in France.
[www.45cat.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 13, 2017 12:54

Child Of The Moon or I Think I'm Going Mad............trying to decide.....

Fancy Man Blues is up there too......

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 13, 2017 13:16

From the list as posted in the first post, I think most of them are very good, but my favorite has to be:
1. Anyway You Look At It

As 2nd and 3th choice would follow Long Long While and Driving Your Plane.

Date: June 13, 2017 13:22

keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
Blueranger

I Want To Be Loved
Stoned
Sad Day
Long Long While
Dandelion
Child Of The Moon
I Think I'm Going Mad
Fancy Man Blues
Cook Cook Blues
Wish I'd Never Met You
The Storm
Jump On Top Of Me
I'm Gonna Drive
Anyway You Look At It

Not at all, but since Blueranger specifically named two tracks only later being released on compilations, what's wrong with pointing out that that is the case with the rest of the tracks as well?

Of course they have released more than three EPs or extended players. You know that, too of course. Here are some of them:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-13 13:33 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: June 13, 2017 13:37

Deltics
keefriffhard4life

[www.45cat.com]

Darn, Deltics! There are still a few of those I don't have yet smiling smiley

Date: June 13, 2017 13:48

DandelionPowderman
Deltics
keefriffhard4life

[www.45cat.com]

Darn, Deltics! There are still a few of those I don't have yet smiling smiley

Then, there's the Australian EPs!winking smiley
[www.45cat.com]

Date: June 13, 2017 13:57

A few german EPs as well: [www.45cat.com]

Date: June 13, 2017 13:59

USA: [www.45cat.com]

A fantastic release! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-13 13:59 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: June 13, 2017 14:00

Portugal: [www.45cat.com]

Date: June 13, 2017 14:10

DandelionPowderman
USA: [www.45cat.com]

A fantastic release! thumbs up

That was one of the jukebox EPs that played at 33.
Some more here:
[www.45cat.com]

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: June 13, 2017 14:25

Child of the moon is mentioned alot in this thread.whose voice is it at the very beginning? I always thought it sounded like Robert Plant.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: June 13, 2017 14:26

Blueranger
It was released as the b-side of Let's Spend the Night Together and was not part of the Between the Buttons (UK release). That's why I consider it their best b-side ever. For fans in UK and Europe it was only ever released as a b-side of LSPTNT (and later appeared on compilations, of course). PS: I’m not hurt. It’s just a confusion originating from the fact that The Rolling Stones were released differently in America and Europe. (And by the way, you mention DANDELION on your list – a song that became far more popular than its a-side “We Love You” in America and was eventually turned to be the a-side of that release. The single then jumped from #50 chart position to #14 on Billboard.) If your criteria are that we can only mentions songs that didn't appear "on an album" and were “unique tracks originally only released as B-side's” – your own list must be shortened.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 13, 2017 14:57

Easily Ruby Tuesday, but under the parameters of this topic, I'd go with Jump on Top of Me

Date: June 13, 2017 16:22

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
Blueranger

I Want To Be Loved
Stoned
Sad Day
Long Long While
Dandelion
Child Of The Moon
I Think I'm Going Mad
Fancy Man Blues
Cook Cook Blues
Wish I'd Never Met You
The Storm
Jump On Top Of Me
I'm Gonna Drive
Anyway You Look At It

Not at all, but since Blueranger specifically named two tracks only later being released on compilations, what's wrong with pointing out that that is the case with the rest of the tracks as well?

Of course they have released more than three EPs or extended players. You know that, too of course. Here are some of them:

collectibles isn't an EP and anything starting with the steel wheels album are just cd singles with lots of songs on it. it becomes a gray area. i have some cd singles by metallica that actually say SINGLE on it and its longer than the stones albums from the 60's

Date: June 13, 2017 16:25

keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
Blueranger

I Want To Be Loved
Stoned
Sad Day
Long Long While
Dandelion
Child Of The Moon
I Think I'm Going Mad
Fancy Man Blues
Cook Cook Blues
Wish I'd Never Met You
The Storm
Jump On Top Of Me
I'm Gonna Drive
Anyway You Look At It

collectibles isn't an EP and anything starting with the steel wheels album are just cd singles with lots of songs on it. it becomes a gray area. i have some cd singles by metallica that actually say SINGLE on it and its longer than the stones albums from the 60's

It only proves my point: That some of those songs were released on, let's call it mini-albums or extended singles AND compilations.

Then there are the EPs that were released in Germany, France etc., available for millions at the time.

Date: June 13, 2017 16:32

When is a CD single not really a single?
This from the Singles box set, 9 tracks and a playing time of over 39 minutes!
[www.45worlds.com]

Date: June 13, 2017 16:34

Deltics
[www.45worlds.com]

It's obviously an EP, even though it's classified as a single.

Date: June 13, 2017 16:46

DandelionPowderman
Deltics
[www.45worlds.com]

More like an LP!

Date: June 13, 2017 17:00

Deltics
DandelionPowderman
Deltics
[www.45worlds.com]

More like an LP!

Yeah, it's quite long, I'll give you that! grinning smiley

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: June 14, 2017 14:22

virgil
again I ask.
Child of the moon is mentioned alot in this thread.whose voice is it at the very beginning? I always thought it sounded like Robert Plant.

Date: June 14, 2017 14:25

virgil
virgil
again I ask.

Nobody knows. We've been puzzled with that voice for ages. Could be Jimmy Miller, could be Mick.

However, I doubt Plant had anything to do with the Stones by March/April 1968. He was unknown at the music scene at the time, at least for The Stones, I believe.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: June 14, 2017 18:27

Jump on Top of Me, Under The Radar and Don't Wanna Go Home, etc... is in the spirit of a b-side. To me they are b-sides, it's just the technology and formats had changed over the years.

I think Through the Lonely Nights and Everything's Turning to Gold are great. They are like fine wines which get better with age. A lot of Stones music is a hard pill to swallow at first but it grows on people. I didn't like Exile on Main Street when I got it for a birthday present and it became my favorite album. Gie them a chance and you may learn to love them (same goes for Dirty Work).

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1961
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home