Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT. Jim Morrisons grave.
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 7, 2017 22:23

Is it true jim morrison is buried in paris and does anyone know where. Going to paris next month and heard his grave is a tourist favourite.

cheers for any info.

Re: OT. Jim Morrisons grave.
Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 7, 2017 22:28

True,he's buried at Pere Lachaise.
Been there in the early '80s.

Date: June 7, 2017 22:30

ok cheers, ive heard of that graveyard. maybe check it out when im there, if the kids dont mind. they dont know who jim morrison was.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 7, 2017 22:31

You can find the exact location here: [www.pere-lachaise.com]

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: June 7, 2017 22:40

According to Ray Manzarek, Jim is one of the top tourist attractions in Paris. A guard was posted at the grave when I was last there. A lot of other celebs are at the cemetery (as you can see at the end of the Doors movie) - Oscar Wilde, Rossini, Edith Piaf, etc. See also this helpful guide:

[www.unjourdeplusaparis.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 7, 2017 22:55

I visited his grave in the '80s when it still had the headstone which was a bust of Jim. Evidently, it had been stolen after that, then replaced, then stolen again or completely vandalized, and finally never replaced again. Upon entrance of the cemetery, there were handwritten arrows at various points pointing in the direction of the grave. When I made it there, there were about five other people who barely spoke English - but all were cool drinking beer and smoking weed. When I told them I was from Los Angeles - "The Land of The Doors", they were fascinated! There's also plenty of other interesting graves there - including Oscar Wilde, Frederic Chopin, and many others.

10 Famous People Buried In Pere Lachaise Cemetery

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 7, 2017 23:10

If you're a hardcore fan (or into a morbid vibe) stop at the 57 rue de Seine, this is where JM fatally OD'ed.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: June 7, 2017 23:15

I was there about 6 weeks ago it is easy to find and once you arrive at the cemetery then there is a numbered map with names of who is buried there.
If you arrive at the cemetery main gate then Jims grave is at the top right of the cemetery.

Nate

Posted by: RiffKichards ()
Date: June 7, 2017 23:34

Nate
I was there about 6 weeks ago it is easy to find and once you arrive at the cemetery then there is a numbered map with names of who is buried there.
If you arrive at the cemetery main gate then Jims grave is at the top right of the cemetery.

Nate

I was visiting the Père Lachaise in 2008 and I was looking for Jim Morrison's grave (among others). I was not able to locate it because his grave is hidden to public. The map is wrong (with respect to Jim Morrison) and no official helps you to find it. So many people have made trouble on his grave (fu%#%ng, taking heroin etc.) that his family and authorities want the actual position of his grave to be kept secret. The owner of the souvenir shop (next to Père Lachaise cimetery) told me that. His grave is somewhere around the place indicated on the map and you can find it if you have time. It was like that in 2008, I don't know if it has changed.

Oscar Wilde´s grave in Père Lachaise is fascinating. He is one of my favorite author.

Date: June 7, 2017 23:59

according to google maps, morrisions grave seems to be outside the graveyard, to the north and across a road.

Date: June 8, 2017 00:04

RiffKichards
Nate

Nate

I was visiting the Père Lachaise in 2008 and I was looking for Jim Morrison's grave (among others). I was not able to locate it because his grave is hidden to public. The map is wrong (with respect to Jim Morrison) and no official helps you to find it. So many people have made trouble on his grave (fu%#%ng, taking heroin etc.) that his family and authorities want the actual position of his grave to be kept secret. The owner of the souvenir shop (next to Père Lachaise cimetery) told me that. His grave is somewhere around the place indicated on the map and you can find it if you have time. It was like that in 2008, I don't know if it has changed.

Oscar Wilde´s grave in Père Lachaise is fascinating. He is one of my favorite author.

Next time you visit Paris if you are feeling flush then consider staying at L'Hotel on the left bank where you can stay in Oscar Wilde's room.

Nate

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: June 8, 2017 00:05

I visited the grave in 1982. I wrote down the exact location in a journal and I think it was pretty easy to find back then. I have a photo of it somewhere too.

Date: June 8, 2017 00:09

buttons67
according to google maps, morrisions grave seems to be outside the graveyard, to the north and across a road.

When you enter the cemetery at the main gate there is a road that goes up walk about 3/4 of the way up it and take a right walk again for maybe 3 minutes and you will be in the area of Jims grave if you can't find it then there will be a few tourists around to ask.

Nate thumbs up

Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: June 8, 2017 00:12

a map, see number 46...

[api-site.paris.fr]

Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: June 8, 2017 00:14

ray and Robbie 2011 there ...
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 8, 2017 00:30

Found this image oin google search - not sure what year it is, but looks exactly like it did when I saw it in 1987.
I have a couple photos somewhere that I took, and a pic of me crouched down directly behind Jim's shoulder.

Notice all the graffiti, etc. There's other photos I've seen where the area is strewn with empty beer bottles,
tons of flowers, and Jim's head had been painted various colors. Some of those worshippers have no respect!

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: June 8, 2017 00:34

RiffKichards

To quote Wilde, that was a "beautiful untrue thing" the shopkeeper told you. Jim is - and always has been - easy to find.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 8, 2017 01:35

Yeah check out Oscar Wilde´s grave .... best head-stone I've ever ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: HollywoodStone ()
Date: June 8, 2017 03:52

Beautiful cemetery, very old. My wife and I visited there last July when we were in Paris for 3+ days. Spent 2-3 hours walking all over. His grave wasn't too hard to find, but it wasn't exactly easy either. No guards, but there was a couple steel crowd barriers surrounding it.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: June 8, 2017 09:09

I've been there a few times, a very fascenating place to walk around and Jim's grave had more color and bottles back in the day, the last time it was fenced with some guards and I would like to add Karel Appel a famous Dutch Artist.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: June 8, 2017 10:11

dcba
If you're a hardcore fan (or into a morbid vibe) stop at the 57 rue de Seine, this is where JM fatally OD'ed.

Oh, I always assumed he OD´d at home in Rue Beautreillis. Please enlighten me - as far as we know he OD ´d at home or someplace else? And what was his address at this point?

(Yeah its a bit morbid, but I guess I like to visit rock-related places whenever I travel. Sort of my way of making order of the chaos)

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 8, 2017 10:13

dcba
There was no autopsy.

However, what is known is that he had a respiratory ailment, a lung infection, had been coughing up blood for two months while in Paris, and had seen two doctors about it.

But that's not a very romantic rock star death, is it?

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 8, 2017 20:10

Go see this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1731
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home