Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Bootleg Track Talk: Ain't Gonna Lie (I'm Not Signifying)
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 19, 2020 01:29

Didn't remember that Jagger quote, it's too bad we never heard from that "super fan" who dug out that stuff for them...I can't make sense of that reference to BBKing ?!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 19, 2020 01:33

GasLightStreet
TravelinMan
Oh for sure it’s hard to tell when what was done etc. I can’t believe his remaster vocal is new though, it doesn’t sound like any of the other new vocals.

I don't know. I mean, you read something like this...

I got the boxes out. Universal said, We've got a fan helping us who's a walking encyclopedia of the Stones. Can he send you bootlegs from the period? He sent me loads of things, but when I listened to them I kept thinking, Wait a minute, this isn't from Exile, this is much later. I was listening to them with Keith, and Keith's going, Mick Taylor sounds fantastic on this one. And I said, Yeah! Doesn't he? And I looked at the list. And it wasn't Mick Taylor, it was B. B. King, and we only recorded it five years ago.
- Mick Jagger, 2009

... and it makes you wonder. As in, apparently the fan had other ideas or didn't know diddly shit about what was going on.

Mick is still lost. To this day he's lost about what the EXILE time was. Because if you go by what came out on the deluxe album, and read what he said, The first recording was Loving Cup in 1969, and then the last sessions for Exile were done in 1972. So that was my time period. then you know that's not true.

All of that aside, Mick said None of them had vocals... so there you go. And he means, obviously, finished, because the Keith vox tracks are obviously different.

Charlie sums up the whole ball of shit, though: My only criticism of the new ones is that the voice sounds like it was done yesterday. That's inevitable. But Mick likes them. He was rather pleased when he gave them to me. He must've got into this.

Well we know “none of them” is wrong: “Good Time Women” and “Loving Cup”*. He probably meant the songs he tracked vocals to didn’t have any vocals on them. I think “Signifying” was pretty much ready for Exile and they shelved it. I think they wiped the rhythm guitars and re-recorded a lame rhythm part and overdubbed harmonica. smileys with beer

*Also the Japanese-only release of an alternate “All Down The Line”.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-19 01:34 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 19, 2020 01:40

Well, right, obviously not the early versions of songs that went on to be finished. Loving Cup etc doesn't matter.

Date: April 19, 2020 19:18

Signifying..means whatever fits.

It's like 'perpetrating'.

Date: April 22, 2020 07:08

TravelinMan
GasLightStreet
TravelinMan
Oh for sure it’s hard to tell when what was done etc. I can’t believe his remaster vocal is new though, it doesn’t sound like any of the other new vocals.

I got the boxes out. Universal said, We've got a fan helping us who's a walking encyclopedia of the Stones. Can he send you bootlegs from the period? He sent me loads of things, but when I listened to them I kept thinking, Wait a minute, this isn't from Exile, this is much later. I was listening to them with Keith, and Keith's going, Mick Taylor sounds fantastic on this one. And I said, Yeah! Doesn't he? And I looked at the list. And it wasn't Mick Taylor, it was B. B. King, and we only recorded it five years ago.
- Mick Jagger, 2009

... and it makes you wonder. As in, apparently the fan had other ideas or didn't know diddly shit about what was going on.

Mick is still lost. To this day he's lost about what the EXILE time was. Because if you go by what came out on the deluxe album, and read what he said, The first recording was Loving Cup in 1969, and then the last sessions for Exile were done in 1972. So that was my time period. then you know that's not true.

All of that aside, Mick said None of them had vocals... so there you go. And he means, obviously, finished, because the Keith vox tracks are obviously different.

Charlie sums up the whole ball of shit, though: My only criticism of the new ones is that the voice sounds like it was done yesterday. That's inevitable. But Mick likes them. He was rather pleased when he gave them to me. He must've got into this.

Well we know “none of them” is wrong: “Good Time Women” and “Loving Cup”*. He probably meant the songs he tracked vocals to didn’t have any vocals on them. I think “Signifying” was pretty much ready for Exile and they shelved it. I think they wiped the rhythm guitars and re-recorded a lame rhythm part and overdubbed harmonica. smileys with beer

Of course, just the truly unreleased tracks.

Lame rhythm part? Ya lost me. On I Ain't Lying/Ain't Gonna Lie or I'm Not Signifying?

Date: April 22, 2020 15:54

GasLightStreet
TravelinMan
GasLightStreet
TravelinMan

- Mick Jagger, 2009

Of course, just the truly unreleased tracks.

Lame rhythm part? Ya lost me. On I Ain't Lying/Ain't Gonna Lie or I'm Not Signifying?

On the version I posted there is a Richards guitar part and an acoustic guitar in addition to Taylor. On the official release there is a rhythm guitar that is EQ’d to death and sounds modern.

Date: April 22, 2020 18:14

There's an acoustic on the official track!? I just thought it was Taylor. I'll have to have a listen again.

Date: April 22, 2020 20:15

GasLightStreet
There's an acoustic on the official track!? I just thought it was Taylor. I'll have to have a listen again.

I’ve heard three versions:

1) The outtake posted here on original post, where it’s a different structure/arrangement. Taylor does not play slide. Possibly one of the Hopkins mixes.

2) The version I posted with three guitars (one is an acoustic). Same structure as the official version, but purportedly one of the Hopkins mixes.

3) The official version which may or may not be the same take as #2, albeit with a different slide part and rhythm guitar part. No acoustic on this version.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-22 20:17 by TravelinMan.

Date: April 22, 2020 21:49

TravelinMan
GasLightStreet

1) The outtake posted here on original post, where it’s a different structure/arrangement. Taylor does not play slide. Possibly one of the Hopkins mixes.

2) The version I posted with three guitars (one is an acoustic). Same structure as the official version, but purportedly one of the Hopkins mixes.

3) The official version which may or may not be the same take as #2, albeit with a different slide part and rhythm guitar part. No acoustic on this version.

Got it.

Based on some focused listening of the Nicky Hopkins (sped up) mix and the official version, there is no 'may' or, worse yet, 'may not' - it is the same take. It's just a working mix, obviously, and was before they finished it, as far as they did, which is what is on the official other than the new recordings of the harmonica and the vocal. And based on what's on the Nicky Hopkins mix, the new vocals Jagger did in 2009 sound fantastic and perhaps the best of all the new vocals he did - they sound the closest to how he dragged his singing on the live take 2 and the previous take.

Date: April 22, 2020 23:00

GasLightStreet
TravelinMan
GasLightStreet

Got it.

Based on some focused listening of the Nicky Hopkins (sped up) mix and the official version, there is no 'may' or, worse yet, 'may not' - it is the same take. It's just a working mix, obviously, and was before they finished it, as far as they did, which is what is on the official other than the new recordings of the harmonica and the vocal. And based on what's on the Nicky Hopkins mix, the new vocals Jagger did in 2009 sound fantastic and perhaps the best of all the new vocals he did - they sound the closest to how he dragged his singing on the live take 2 and the previous take.

Thanks for listening and comparing the two, I’ve been meaning to do it.

Taylor probably rerecorded his slide during the LA overdubs, and I have to think that’s when Jagger did his vocals as well. I just can’t believe that’s Jag from like 10 years ago. If it is, he should have been singing like that on all of them.

I’m pretty sure either Andy Johns or Jimmy Miller (or maybe Greenfield or another author) mentioned “Signifying” in an interview as a song for Exile

Date: April 24, 2020 04:14

I'm not going to get into a debate or discussion about if the vocals on I'm Not Signifying are new or from 1971 or 1972 because based on the information available the vocals are from 2009 but...

(The tracks) weren't finished. None of them had vocals on, which is probably one of the reasons they never came out or whatever. We had so many tracks, but... I could've finished them, but I didn't. Either I didn' t have any ideas, or I couldn't be bothered or whatever - they're unwieldy in some way. They were very much like any other Rolling Stones song then or now, to be honest. You'd listen to them and you'd go, Okay, so that needs a vocal, and that's the chorus, this is that. Some were pretty much together, and some were less together. And you just treat them as if they were new, to be perfectly honest. It's always a bit odd to revisit things, but after you get used to them, it doesn't really matter if they were done last week or 35, 40 years ago.
- Mick Jagger, 2010

Obviously Mick is talking about the tracks that weren't released in other forms later, like Loving Cup and Good Time Women.

I can't see why he'd make shit up. Remember - he couldn't be bothered. Then after being bothered he did these leftover EXILE tracks. Of course, then he said this:

Some of them had no vocals on them - no song, no vocals, no words, no music. Just tracks. Which were really good. Some of the tracks were all done and perfect except I wasn't on them... So I wrote words, and I wrote melodies, and song on some of them.

Obviously he's just talking. Trying to make a point. Because they did have music, they were a song.

He does the ability to not make any sense. It's rare. Here's one:

I added bits and pieces here and there. I added some percussion. I added some vocals. Keith put guitar on one or two. I added some acoustic guitar and some other things... In the spirit of Exile we added some girl background vocals on Tumbling Dice and Shine a Light. We had some nice background vocals on the originals. But I think in the end it's very much sounding like it was in those days, so to speak.

Taken literally, he said that they added new backing vocals to Tumbling Dice and Shine A Light. There may be some people out there that stumbled into [timeisonourside.com] and thought "WOW! They added new backing vocals to Tumbling Dice and Shine A Light!" and after listening to those 2 tracks have no idea that he was either not quoted correctly or just misspoke.

But. Regarding this track, what Jagger says here sums it up quite well and explains why, perhaps, some find it hard that he did all new vocals:

I listened a bit to the regular album and just sort of copped the attitude a bit (for the vocals). I don't know if that takes away from them or not. I mean, I could have fibbed to you - you totally would have believed me.

Date: April 24, 2020 05:10

I’m not going to debate either but he did say: “There's a track called I'm Not Signifying and all I did was play harmonica on it. It's quite an early track. It sounds early. It could fit onto the Beggars' Banquet album.“

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-24 05:10 by TravelinMan.

Date: April 24, 2020 05:15

TravelinMan
I’m not going to debate either but he did say: “There's a track called I'm Not Signifying and all I did was play harmonica on it. It's quite an early track. It sounds early. It could fit onto the Beggars' Banquet album.“

Where did he say that?

Date: April 24, 2020 05:16

Found it.

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Date: April 24, 2020 05:19

What sort of state were the songs in?

They were mostly instrumental tracks with no vocals on them. They didn't have vocals, they didn't have melodies... because I wasn't there. I was playing maracas or I was playing harmonica or something.

But some of [them] were complete. There's a track called I'm Not Signifying and all I did was play harmonica on it. It's quite an early track.

It sounds early. It could fit onto the Beggars' Banquet album.

It might have been recorded for Beggars, but it was definitely re-recorded in the [Exile] period. A lot of these songs were done more than once.

Did you put them to one side because you didn't like them at the time?

We had so many tracks, and you can only do so much. You'd say, "we'll save that one, or put it aside" not knowing that we'd put it aside for 40 years!

So I just found some of these ones and finished them off - I wrote the words and the lyrics.

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Somehow this info didn't get anywhere else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-24 05:20 by GasLightStreet.

Date: April 24, 2020 22:56

Yeah, that's it. The rhythm guitar doesn't sound as good/full as the bootleg. They must have just butchered it in the modern mixing process.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: April 24, 2020 23:47

gotdablouse
Didn't remember that Jagger quote, it's too bad we never heard from that "super fan" who dug out that stuff for them...I can't make sense of that reference to BBKing ?!

Kenny Kubernik, brother of music journalist Harvey Kubernik, and a very nice guy. He was helping Don Was trawl for material.

Date: April 28, 2020 23:41

So.

Mick said:

"Some of the tracks were all done and perfect except I wasn't on them"

"None of them had vocals on"

"some of them had no vocals"

"I added some vocals"

"some...were complete. (I'm Not Signifying) all I did was play harmonica on it."

You look at all of that, how Mick responds to questions, and it's no surprise that he introduced Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo as being from BLACK AND BLUE in 1994.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1600
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home