Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Midnight Oil
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 1, 2017 19:53

I saw an amazing show by the Oils last night. In the 15 years off from touring, these guys have lost nothing. My ears are still ringing. 24 songs over 2 hours. They rehearsed 100 songs for the tour & the setlists are changing nightly. Last night they played a big chunk of Diesel & Dust. Lucky me! If you get the chance to see them, do it. Outstanding!

SETLIST SEATTLE
King of the Mountain

No Reaction

Brave Faces

Short Memory

Read About It

Sell My Soul

Stars of Warburton

Concrete

My Country

Luritja Way

Spirit of the Age

US Forces

Kosciusko

Only the Strong

The Dead Heart

Beds Are Burning

Blue Sky Mine

Truganini

Sometimes

Encore:
Jimmy Sharman's Boxers

Too Much Sunshine

Forgotten Years

Encore 2:
Warakurna

Dreamworld

Re: OT: Midnight Oil
Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: June 1, 2017 20:26

+1.

The Oils are the hottest ticket on the planet (*apparently*). I look forward to their L.A. return. Apparently they just played 10, 9 , 8 ... in its entirety in Chicago.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 1, 2017 21:11

Had a ticket to the recent Wiltern show, but couldn't make it down there due to massive tooth infection.
Tickets were still readily available the day of the show which is surprising for such a small venue.
Will see them at the Greek Theater with a pit ticket when they return....hopefully...knock on wood. thumbs up

I was a big fan back in the day, with The Dead Heart still being my favorite tune from them, and then they seemingly vanished from the face of the earth!
Wondering if any new material is in the works, or if they're just living and touring off of past glories?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 1, 2017 21:20

crholmstrom
I saw an amazing show by the Oils last night. In the 15 years off from touring, these guys have lost nothing. My ears are still ringing. 24 songs over 2 hours. They rehearsed 100 songs for the tour & the setlists are changing nightly. Last night they played a big chunk of Diesel & Dust. Lucky me! If you get the chance to see them, do it. Outstanding!

SETLIST SEATTLE
King of the Mountain

No Reaction

Brave Faces

Short Memory

Read About It

Sell My Soul

Stars of Warburton

Concrete

My Country

Luritja Way

Spirit of the Age

US Forces

Kosciusko

Only the Strong

The Dead Heart

Beds Are Burning

Blue Sky Mine

Truganini

Sometimes

Encore:
Jimmy Sharman's Boxers

Too Much Sunshine

Forgotten Years

Encore 2:
Warakurna

Dreamworld

Great band!
smileys with beer

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 1, 2017 21:26

Hairball

I was a big fan back in the day, with The Dead Heart still being my favorite tune from them, and then they seemingly vanished from the face of the earth!
Wondering if any new material is in the works, or if they're just living and touring off of past glories?

Nothing new, just a box set with rarities:

[www.midnightoil.com]

And a short film:

[www.midnightoil.com]

Date: June 1, 2017 21:37

bleedingman
Hairball

Nothing new, just a box set with rarities:

[www.midnightoil.com]

And a short film:

[www.midnightoil.com]

Yes I did see all that when new tour was announced - multiple box sets - all of which are very expensive.
I guess I was just wondering (and hoping) if anything new will result from this tour..like maybe they're writing new material while on the road.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: June 2, 2017 04:22

The Overflow boxed set is pricey but I have been enjoying it. The Unplugged set and Eli's Park are really awesome. "Black Rain Falls" was previously available but nice to have and the B-sides and demo CDs are really good too.

Date: June 2, 2017 05:00

It has been so long since they toured, its almost like the material is new again. That & they rehearsed approx. 100 songs. The setlists are changing nightly. Ticket prices were very realistic (think I paid $50 for front row). Tshirts weren't bad either @ $30. They did a little acoustic set in the middle that rocked harder than most bands with a stage full of Marshall stacks.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 2, 2017 05:51

Hairball

Garrett became a Federal Politician in Australia.

Rod

Date: June 2, 2017 06:09

bitusa2012
Hairball

Garrett became a Federal Politician in Australia.

I seem to recall him being a lawyer or a law student back in the day as singer of the band, and knew he was deeply in to politics.

Peter Garrett

"Garrett attended Gordon West Public School and then Barker College in Hornsby before studying politics at the Australian National University (ANU), where he was a resident at Burgmann College, and later law at the University of New South Wales...About the same time he became a singer with the Australian rock band Midnight Oil in 1973, after responding to an advertisement placed by one of the band's founding members, Rob Hirst. In tandem with their musical and commercial success, the band were long identified with environmental causes".

"Garrett's first attempt at entering politics was in December 1984, when the Nuclear Disarmament Party invited him to stand for a New South Wales seat in the Australian Senate at the federal election. He refused at first, but after consulting the band, he agreed on condition that he head the ticket. He needed 12.5% of the vote to win a seat in the Senate voting system, but a primary vote of 9.6% was insufficient when Labor gave its preferences to the conservative Liberal and National Parties ahead of the NDP".

In June 2004, Labor leader Mark Latham announced that Garrett would become an Australian Labor Party candidate for the House of Representatives at the 2004 federal election, in the safe New South Wales seat of Kingsford Smith which was being vacated by the former Cabinet minister Laurie Brereton. There was some initial criticism from Labor members in the electorate, as this overrode the local branch's wishes.[32] He won an easy victory on 9 October, increasing the Labor majority there".

Lots more about him and politics in the above article.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-02 06:15 by Hairball.

Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: June 2, 2017 07:04

I'll be seeing them live on the Australian leg of the tour in late October a week after getting back from Europe seeing No Filter shows, should be a good month!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 2, 2017 15:27

Had no idea they were on tour! I, too, used to love them back in the day!! I'll have to check out the tour dates. Thanks for sharing!

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: June 2, 2017 15:57

He was terrible at politics...

Date: June 2, 2017 17:58

Eleanor Rigby
He was terrible at politics...

So I've heard, but am unfamiliar with politics in Australia...

Unlike Bono though (for example), at least he practiced what he preached - literally.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: June 2, 2017 18:24

Saw shows in NYC and near Philly 4 days apart. Two completely different set lists. They are one of my favorite live bands . . . ever.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: June 2, 2017 18:39

Saw the Chicago show and it was amazing. Throwing in 10...1 in its entirety was incredible, given the complex arrangements and instrumentation. While Garrett is front and center, the entire band was spot on.

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: June 2, 2017 19:03

Didn't have any idea they were touring. Seeing them live was definitely not on my radar but it is now. Will check out if they come anywhere close to Canada.

Date: June 2, 2017 19:05

Well, I just saw that the only Canada show is tonight... and at the other end of the Country!

Date: June 2, 2017 19:09

Didn't scroll far enough on their tour page. They actually come to Montreal in August. Interesting!

Date: June 2, 2017 19:25

Sorry for my four posts in a row but somehow this got me excited. Just bought tickets to the Montreal show. Haven't listened to Midnight Oil in ages but just a week or two ago one of their songs came on randomly from my library when I arrived home and I actually stayed in my parked car to listen to the end. They were not on the list of bands that I wanted to absolutely see live. I guess this will be the 15th anniversary gift to my wife. She doesn't know MO but she loves live music (everything but the Stones, haha).

Date: June 2, 2017 20:43

Date: June 2, 2017 20:49

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 2, 2017 21:02

Good to hear, catching them at the Olympia in early July ! Loved these guys in the late 80s with Diesel and Blue Sky ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 2, 2017 22:29

Just nabbed a ticket. I thank you for this post.smiling smiley

Date: June 3, 2017 10:02

shattered
Just nabbed a ticket. I thank you for this post.smiling smiley

I'm glad I could turn some people on to this. You will be glad you went! You are lucky you were able to grab a ticket. They sold out in about 5 minutes here. Still can't believe I scored front row! I would go see them again in a heartbeat. smileys with beer

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: June 4, 2017 15:58

They are a really great band - Diesel & Dust, Earth Sun and Moon and Blue Sky are my favorites, but they have a fan base that also likes the harder, earlier albums like 10,9,8.. - if you are not familiar with them, give them a spin. They got big in the 80s but you will not hear any fake drums in this band!

Date: June 4, 2017 16:54

Lynd8
They are a really great band - Diesel & Dust, Earth Sun and Moon and Blue Sky are my favorites, but they have a fan base that also likes the harder, earlier albums like 10,9,8.. - if you are not familiar with them, give them a spin. They got big in the 80s but you will not hear any fake drums in this band!
Rob Hirst is an awesome drummer. Pretty good singer, too.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 4, 2017 16:55

crholmstrom
It has been so long since they toured, its almost like the material is new again. That & they rehearsed approx. 100 songs. The setlists are changing nightly. Ticket prices were very realistic (think I paid $50 for front row). Tshirts weren't bad either @ $30. They did a little acoustic set in the middle that rocked harder than most bands with a stage full of Marshall stacks.

If only we were talking about the Stones. Can you imagine the excitement.

Date: June 4, 2017 19:43

The Sicilian
crholmstrom

If only we were talking about the Stones. Can you imagine the excitement.

Be interesting to see if the Stones incorporate much of the blues record into the set. Would be cool if they did. I have a feeling it will be one, maybe two songs at most. They are saddling up the warhorses now....

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: June 5, 2017 03:56

crholmstrom

Rob Hirst is an awesome drummer. Pretty good singer, too.

And a pretty awesome author. His touring memoir is a bargain at 99c on Kindle:

[amzn.to]

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1780
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home