Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"Reg Thorpe"
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: May 30, 2017 21:39

Who is it? What is that reference?

Re: "Reg Thorpe"
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 30, 2017 21:50

It's a joke name for Andrew Oldham, according to His Majesty's post on this thread: [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: May 31, 2017 01:12

Cristiano Radtke
It's a joke name for Andrew Oldham, according to His Majesty's post on this thread: [www.iorr.org]

You sure about that?

I'm pretty sure that I was once introduced to a collector with that name....

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 31, 2017 11:00

I think in the mid 60's ALO employed a Chauffeur called Reg who apparantly had a somewhat psychotic personality.

Date: May 31, 2017 11:16

CaptainCorella
Cristiano Radtke

You sure about that?

I'm pretty sure that I was once introduced to a collector with that name....

A producer, right? winking smiley

«Well, thank you very much, and now I think it's time for us all to go. So, from all of us to all of you – not forgetting the boys in the band and our producer, Reg Thorpe. We'd like to say "God Bless". So, if you're out tonight,
don't forget. If you're on your bike, wear white....evening all».

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-31 11:16 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 31, 2017 12:14

It's also a tongue in cheek reference to the closing sequence of extremely popular 60's UK TV police drama Dixon Of Dock Green. The star of the show Jack Warner would sign off with an 'evening all'.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 31, 2017 12:37

hbwriter

Last summer or the summer before bv elicited suggestions for his forthcoming upgrade to iorr. One of the recurring suggestions pertained to enhancing the Search functionality.

I happen to remember I posed this question 7 years ago (https://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,1194087 - pulled this up on Google by searching "reg thorpe" iorr swiss), but also know there have been more substantive, in-depth discussions about "Reg Thorpe" over the years. but with 1500+ posts containing that phrase, next to impossible to re-find them. Wish we could search by Thread Title!

good luck smiling smiley
-swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-31 12:38 by swiss.

Date: May 31, 2017 13:55

swiss
hbwriter

Last summer or the summer before bv elicited suggestions for his forthcoming upgrade to iorr. One of the recurring suggestions pertained to enhancing the Search functionality.

I happen to remember I posed this question 7 years ago (https://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,1194087 - pulled this up on Google by searching "reg thorpe" iorr swiss), but also know there have been more substantive, in-depth discussions about "Reg Thorpe" over the years. but with 1500+ posts containing that phrase, next to impossible to re-find them. Wish we could search by Thread Title!

good luck smiling smiley
-swiss

IORR found your post as well,swiss smiling smiley

[iorr.org]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 31, 2017 16:32

Reg as in register or regulate? I'm guessing register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-31 16:33 by GasLightStreet.

Date: May 31, 2017 16:40

GasLightStreet
Reg as in register or regulate? I'm guessing register.

Probably «Reginald», like Elton John's real name smiling smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 31, 2017 16:46

"Wear something white (or bright) at night" was a slogan used in British public information films from the sixties until the eighties.

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: May 31, 2017 16:47

Deltics
"Wear something white (or bright) at night" was a slogan used in British public information films from the sixties until the eighties.

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Before the reflex became in fashion? winking smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 31, 2017 16:50

DandelionPowderman
Deltics

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Before the reflex became in fashion? winking smiley

[www.youtube.com] spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: May 31, 2017 16:53

LOL, way to go, Gus! grinning smiley

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: June 1, 2017 11:12

DandelionPowderman

Thanks for going out of your way to post my thread again, Dande.

My point might not have been clear--which is unless you know just what or whom you're searching for on iorr, you sometimes end up with an unwieldy pile of results.

I knew that I started a thread years ago, so could search by "swiss" but I also know there were other threads that got into the Reg Thorpe question.

I look forward to seeing new search functionality, with more options, whenever that should roll out. However, something enabling finding the pithiest Reg Thorpe content might likely exceed the capabilities of whatever search plug-in BV would get for the site. iirc, for example, good Reg Thorpe discussion is wended into threads about Between the Buttons, etc.

Part of the reason I wish people stayed on topic rather than free-range associating random topics in a thread is it make sit harder to zero in on relevant content when searching. But that just points to my valuing iorr as a research tool and archive almost equally to an opportunity to get online a chit-cat with people on an array of topic--which I don't know is the primary use for the site's most frequent visitors--or put that another way, the site's most frequent contributors. Who knows how many people lurk (and do research, get ideas, lift content and opinions).

hbwriter...btw...Jas. Phelge is on here and may have an idea or opinion. I also would think His Majesty might have a notion.

-swiss

Date: June 1, 2017 11:15

swiss
DandelionPowderman

Thanks for going out of your way to post my thread again, Dande.

My point might not have been clear--which is unless you know just what or whom you're searching for on iorr, you sometimes end up with an unwieldy pile of results.

I knew that I started a thread years ago, so could search by "swiss" but I also know there were other threads that got into the Reg Thorpe question.

I look forward to seeing new search functionality, with more options, whenever that should roll out. However, something enabling finding the pithiest Reg Thorpe content might likely exceed the capabilities of whatever search plug-in BV would get for the site. iirc, for example, good Reg Thorpe discussion is wended into threads about Between the Buttons, etc.

Part of the reason I wish people stayed on topic rather than free-range associating random topics in a thread is it make sit harder to zero in on relevant content when searching. But that just points to my valuing iorr as a research tool and archive almost equally to an opportunity to get online a chit-cat with people on an array of topic--which I don't know is the primary use for the site's most frequent visitors--or put that another way, the site's most frequent contributors. Who knows how many people lurk (and do research, get ideas, lift content and opinions).

hbwriter...btw...Jas. Phelge is on here and may have an idea or opinion. I also would think His Majesty might have a notion.

-swiss

Gotcha! smiling smiley

Agreed thumbs up

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 27, 2017 07:28

Didn't ALO answer this one in one of his books or on his radio show? Wasn't Reg Thorpe the name of his British gangster associate who acted as his bodyguard? It was all a PERFORMANCE of course.

My mistake. I'm thinking of Reg King. Now there's a point...were Reg King and Tony King related?

Digging further...Reg King is credited as producing "Each and Every Day of the Year" and other tracks for the band Thee which he managed with ALO. There was another Reg King who Mick Taylor worked with in the early 1970s as well. That appears to be a different fellow altogether, though.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-27 08:12 by Rocky Dijon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1615
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home