Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
questions about rolling stones super deluxe boxsets?
Date: May 28, 2017 15:23

the stones are my favorite band. can someone tell me if these big expensive deluxe boxsets are worth owning? what exactly are you paying for? the book and trinkets? there are boxsets for all 3 albums that have deluxe editions plus several dvd boxsets and boxsets for 40 licks and GRRR.

each boxset looks like there are things chopped up and missing that would cause you to have to purchase other dvd's. I own every album the stones released, all dvd's and all 2 cd deluxe editions. is there really anything on these boxsets worth getting other than the books? should I just stick with what I already have?

Re: questions about rolling stones super deluxe boxsets?
Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: May 28, 2017 15:40

I don't have many yet. They're overpriced. But I got Some Girls Super Deluxe on Ebay for ca. 40/45 EURO including shipping. That's okay. Look there.

Date: May 28, 2017 15:50

Monsoon Ragoon
I don't have many yet. They're overpriced. But I got Some Girls Super Deluxe on Ebay for ca. 40/45 EURO including shipping. That's okay. Look there.

yes they all dropped in price. was more or less trying to figure out what exactly i'm getting. what i need to keep if i get them. what can be sold to make up some of the cost. most of the dvd's o these sets look like they are chopped up.

then of course there is the ladies and gents deluxe boxset and the hyde park boxset

Date: May 28, 2017 16:09

are the books just pics or is there background of the albums? whats in the booklet for 40 licks and GRR? do i need the boxset for ladies and gentlemen if i have the separate dvds and get the exile deluxe box?

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 28, 2017 16:40

The thing with these box sets is the CD's are usually within the book. When you want to play the music you have to open the box, open the book and finally struggle to get the CD out... It's so much easier to get the CD out of a regular CD case. For that very reason I don't think I will buy again any deluxe boxset.

Date: May 28, 2017 16:54

You get lovely things like the Live In England '65-EP, the segment of the Roundhouse 1971-show, the Camden 196r-show etc. that makes it worthwhile, imo.

Date: May 28, 2017 22:40

kowalski
The thing with these box sets is the CD's are usually within the book. When you want to play the music you have to open the box, open the book and finally struggle to get the CD out... It's so much easier to get the CD out of a regular CD case. For that very reason I don't think I will buy again any deluxe boxset.

yeah I thought about that. I own a few boxsets like that because thats the only way it was avaliable. Some of them are easy to get the discs out and others not so much

Date: May 29, 2017 06:27

other opinions are welcome

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: May 29, 2017 06:53

DandelionPowderman
You get lovely things like the Live In England '65-EP, the segment of the Roundhouse 1971-show, the Camden 196r-show etc. that makes it worthwhile, imo.
Indeed.
The sticky fingers one is best. It has the Leeds show
Then the charlie is my darling one with the UK 65 recordings
Then maybe the grrr super de luxe

Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: May 29, 2017 15:38

keefriffhard4life
are the books just pics or is there background of the albums? whats in the booklet for 40 licks and GRR? do i need the boxset for ladies and gentlemen if i have the separate dvds and get the exile deluxe box?

I have all the box sets with exception of Grrr, The books are mostly pictures with very little information on the albums themselves, none of them are essential. The 40 Licks boxset booklet has an essay on The Rolling Stones and around a dozen pages of pictures. The Ladies & Gentlemen boxset has nothing exclusive in it on the music front, I can't recall if any of the DVD extras feature were exclusive, I felt this boxset was the least impressive of the Super Deluxes, you only really need the regular DVD edition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-29 15:39 by ChrisMahavishnu.

Date: May 29, 2017 15:41

The book in the Brussels box set, «Dancing With Mr. D.» is great, imo.

Date: May 29, 2017 16:58

DandelionPowderman

whats in the book?

Date: May 29, 2017 17:03

keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman

whats in the book?

Lots of great pics and the story about their 1973 tour.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 29, 2017 17:15

keefriffhard4life
kowalski

yeah I thought about that. I own a few boxsets like that because thats the only way it was avaliable. Some of them are easy to get the discs out and others not so much

Agree, that's the only thing I don't like about my Sticky Fingers deluxe boxset!

I'd like to have the CD right next to all my others. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-29 19:04 by kovach.

Date: May 29, 2017 18:26

I found that you can spot early on what you "need". If you are a hard collector, most of this side-swag is for the masses; collectables that are old hat on the street.

Date: May 29, 2017 18:39

keefriffhard4life

Finally, a question I can answer! grinning smiley Sorry if this question's been fielded, I don't have time to read through right now. Anyways...

As far as content goes, yes. There is a third disc with rare Dick Cavett show footage, Aussie tour film, and miscellaneous interviews. IIRC, many of the 'misc. interviews' were recorded in 2010 for Mick & Charlie to recollect the Exile sessions.

Date: May 29, 2017 19:01

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
keefriffhard4life

Finally, a question I can answer! grinning smiley Sorry if this question's been fielded, I don't have time to read through right now. Anyways...

As far as content goes, yes. There is a third disc with rare Dick Cavett show footage, Aussie tour film, and miscellaneous interviews. IIRC, many of the 'misc. interviews' were recorded in 2010 for Mick & Charlie to recollect the Exile sessions.

so get that boxset and just sell the individual dvd's? looks like if i get the exile box too i'll have stones in exile 2 times.

is c**ksucker blues on the exile boxset dvd?

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: May 30, 2017 01:07

keefriffhard4life

No. I don't think CS Blues will ever see an official release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-30 01:10 by TheBadRabbit.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 30, 2017 03:53

TheBadRabbit
keefriffhard4life

Yes,but just a ten minute something snippet of it,same with Stones in Exile and L&G.
All of them included as teasers on the Exile Superdeluxe DVD.

Book of the Brussels Affair set is really great,SF superdeluxe with the complete Leeds '71 show on CD is worth to get I think.

Date: May 30, 2017 04:03

shortfatfanny
TheBadRabbit
keefriffhard4life

Yes,but just a ten minute something snippet of it,same with Stones in Exile and L&G.

Book of the Brussels Affair set is really great,SF superdeluxe with the complete Leeds '71 show on CD is worth to get I think.

so the full stones in exile release isn't on the exile boxset dvd?

Date: May 30, 2017 10:39

keefriffhard4life
shortfatfanny
TheBadRabbit
keefriffhard4life

Snippets, if memory serves..

Posted by: nick ()
Date: May 30, 2017 16:16

It's frustrating that you need some these box sets to get only a few songs. I have a packet of the crap I don't want from GRRR!, Charlie Darling, and Sticky Fingers on eBay right now.
I will say I did like the L&G poster and film cells but sold the scarf and outer numbered box on eBay.

Date: May 30, 2017 16:18

It was also disappointing that the bonus discs on Exile and SG were CDs only..

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 30, 2017 16:26

DandelionPowderman
It was also disappointing that the bonus discs on Exile and SG were CDs only..

thumbs up Ditto that .

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: May 30, 2017 16:59

keefriffhard4life
shortfatfanny
TheBadRabbit
keefriffhard4life

If you mean the Ladies 'n Gentlemen boxset, as there wasn't a DVD with the Exile reissue, the answer is no - this DVD contains three 10 minute trailers. It's the least essential boxset by a country mile.

Date: May 30, 2017 17:11

Father Ted
keefriffhard4life
shortfatfanny
TheBadRabbit
keefriffhard4life

If you mean the Ladies 'n Gentlemen boxset, as there wasn't a DVD with the Exile reissue, the answer is no - this DVD contains three 10 minute trailers. It's the least essential boxset by a country mile.

the big exile boxset does have a dvd.

so you are saying the big exile boxset and the ladies and gentlemen boxset don't have the full stones in exile release?

Date: May 30, 2017 17:15

keefriffhard4life
Father Ted
keefriffhard4life
shortfatfanny
TheBadRabbit
keefriffhard4life

so you are saying the big exile boxset and the ladies and gentlemen boxset don't have the full stones in exile release?

Stones In Exile was a separate release. The DVD on the Exile Deluxe is only a 30 minutes teaser with clips from Cocksvcker Blues, L&G and the Stones In Exile-documentary, if memory serves. Haven't watched it in a few years.

EDIT: The L&G box set does have the Stones In Exile docu.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-30 17:16 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 30, 2017 17:17

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
Father Ted
keefriffhard4life
shortfatfanny
TheBadRabbit
keefriffhard4life

Stones In Exile was a separate release. The DVD on the Exile Deluxe is only a 30 minutes teaser with clips from Cocksvcker Blues, L&G and the Stones In Exile-documentary, if memory serves. Haven't watched it in a few years.

so whats in the 3 dvd ladies and gents boxset? ladies and gents, a dvd of unreleased stuff and i thought the 3rd dvd was the full stones in exile

edit: i see you posted something showing the full stones in exile was in that boxset while i was typing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-30 17:19 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: May 30, 2017 17:18

keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
Father Ted
keefriffhard4life
shortfatfanny
TheBadRabbit
keefriffhard4life

EDIT: The L&G box set does have the Stones In Exile docu.

so whats in the 3 dvd ladies and gents boxset? ladies and gents, a dvd of unreleased stuff and i thought the 3rd dvd was the full stones in exile

I provided the link:

Bonus Features
DVD1-16 Shake Your Hips (Tour Rehearsal)
DVD1-17 Tumbling Dice (Tour Rehearsal)
DVD1-18 Bluesberry Jam (Tour Rehearsal)
DVD1-19 Old Grey Whistle Test Interview
DVD1-20 Mick Jagger Interview 2010
Disc 2 Stones In Exile 145:00
DVD2-1 Stones In Exile
Bonus Features
DVD2-2 Extended Interviews
DVD2-3 Return To Stargroves And Olympic Studios
DVD2-4 Exile Fans
Disc 3 The Dick Cavett Interviews / Australian Tour Interviews 1973 36:00
DVD3-1 The Dick Cavett Interview : Mick Jagger
DVD3-2 The Dick Cavett Interview : Bill Wyman
DVD3-3 Australian Tour Interview 1973 : Keith Richard
DVD3-4 Australian Tour Interview 1973 : Charlie Watts
DVD3-5 Australian Tour Interview 1973 : Mick Taylor

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 30, 2017 19:57

I have a lot of the box sets.
Mono: Great! Not a lot of extras, but very well done. Great book, great vinyl pressings. Top notch!

Get Yer Ya Yas Anniversary: Both CD and Vinyl, fantastic! Again, some great extras and very well done vinyl pressings!

Brussels: Nice but not essential. Basically I bought it because it was on sale. Looks great! Lots of swag that I don't really need and will probably end up selling it.

Some Girls: Great! Fantastic book worth the price of the box!

Sticky Fingers: Great! Although I wish they would release Leeds on vinyl!

Some Girls Hat Box: Good. Mostly for the swag, but a cool USB with Some Girls at 24 bit!

Ladies and Gentlemen: Ok. Some good extras on the DVD.

Grrrr. Terrible cover, but it is a good box set. Lots of great music, a 45, and a great book. Hold out for a price drop on Amazon.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1587
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home