Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: RIP Gregg Allman
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 29, 2017 03:07

RIP Greg

One of the best concerts i ever saw was when Dickie and Warren were together in the ABB. Mid 90's . The band was like a machine. Just great!!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 29, 2017 05:05

More Hot Rocks
RIP Greg

One of the best concerts i ever saw was when Dickie and Warren were together in the ABB. Mid 90's . The band was like a machine. Just great!!

That's around the same time I saw them also.
I also saw Greg solo w/band around the mid- late '80's, and Dicky Betts solo w/band around the same time - both in small theaters and both really *good.
Then I had tickets last year for the ZZ Top/Greg Allman co-headline in Los Angeles. Greg dropped out because of illness, and his replacement was the inferior Johnny Lang...(?)
...or maybe Kenny Wayne Shepard? (I confuse those two all the time). Having seen ZZ many times I decided to bow out and sell ticket (also because Desert Trip was starting the next day).

*I would have happily traded in all the above shows to see the Duane lineup just once, but I was too young to see them then.
Wish I would have seen the Allman Brothers and/or Greg more often though no matter what the lineups were. RIP.

Re: RP Gregg Allman
Posted by: WetWillie ()
Date: May 29, 2017 05:17

tomcasagranda
Many mention the Fillmore album from 1971, but the hidden gem is Wipe The Windows, Check the Oil. I think Gregg is on fire on that album. They went through a great phase from Idlewild South, Fillmore, Eat A Peach, Laid Back, Brothers & Sisters, and Dickey's first solo album too, between 1969 to 1974.

Thanks. I had not played that cd in a long time.

A good track from Gregg - These Days

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: May 29, 2017 06:01

Hairball
More Hot Rocks
RIP Greg

I also saw Greg solo w/band around the mid- late '80's, and Dicky Betts solo w/band around the same time - both in small theaters and both really *good.
Then I had tickets last year for the ZZ Top/Greg Allman co-headline in Los Angeles. Greg dropped out because of illness, and his replacement was the inferior Johnny Lang...(?)
...or maybe Kenny Wayne Shepard? (I confuse those two all the time). Having seen ZZ many times I decided to bow out and sell ticket (also because Desert Trip was starting the next day).

*I would have happily traded in all the above shows to see the Duane lineup just once, but I was too young to see them then.
Wish I would have seen the Allman Brothers and/or Greg more often though no matter what the lineups were. RIP.

lang and Shepard are nothing alike. Why would they take a keyboardist place anyway? They are guitarist.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 29, 2017 06:21

This is the show from 1976 that I mentioned attending earlier in the thread. It was a benefit for the infamous (and long since closed down) Willowbrook State School on Staten Island in New York. It's the same charity John Lennon played for when he performed at Madison Square Garden in 1972. That's Geraldo Rivera doing the introduction. There was a woman dancing at the side of the stage who may or may not have been Cher.

[www.panicstream.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-29 06:23 by tatters.

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: May 29, 2017 06:28

Cooltoplady
Hairball
Greg dropped out because of illness, and his replacement was the inferior Johnny Lang...(?)
...or maybe Kenny Wayne Shepard? (I confuse those two all the time).

lang and Shepard are nothing alike. Why would they take a keyboardist place anyway? They are guitarist.

I'm pretty sure Hairball means that they replaced Gregg on that night's bill and while a dedicated fan may feel that Lang and Shepard are nothing alike, to the uninitiated, they are both blues gunslingers who don't have a single well known tune between the two of them.

Date: May 29, 2017 06:42

Cooltoplady
Hairball
More Hot Rocks
RIP Greg

Greg Allman was a co-headliner with ZZ Top. When Greg dropped out due to illness, they filled his co-headline spot with with another artist rather than cancel the concert (which was a bit shady imo as I would have preferred a refund). Different venues had different replacement artists - L.A. got stuck with Lange (or was it Shepard?). Lange and Shepard are completely alike and interchangeable imo- hence my confusion. I've even seen them both throughout the years opening for different bands. I think it was Lange (or was it Shepard?) who opened for the Stones once..or may it was twice. Anways, they both started out as young whippersnapper blues guitar shredders, and never really branched out from that. Except maybe Lange (or was it Shepard?) who had decent tune with Blue on Black around 1998.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-29 06:44 by Hairball.

Date: May 29, 2017 06:53

Hairball
Cooltoplady
Hairball
More Hot Rocks
RIP Greg

Greg Allman was a co-headliner with ZZ Top. When Greg dropped out due to illness, they filled his co-headline spot with with another artist rather than cancel the concert (which was a bit shady imo as I would have preferred a refund). Different venues had different replacement artists - L.A. got stuck with Lange (or was it Shepard?). Lange and Shepard are completely alike and interchangeable imo- hence my confusion. I've even seen them both throughout the years opening for different bands. I think it was Lange (or was it Shepard?) who opened for the Stones once..or may it was twice. Anways, they both started out as young whippersnapper blues guitar shredders, and never really branched out from that. Except maybe Lange (or was it Shepard?) who had decent tune with Blue on Black around 1998.

If you thing lang and Shappard are interchangeable you have no idea what you are talking about. Tha's like campairing Handrix to BB king.

Date: May 29, 2017 07:04

More Hot Rocks
If you thing lang and Shappard are interchangeable you have no idea what you are talking about. Tha's like campairing Handrix to BB king.

No, I do have an idea as I already explained, but maybe not from the same perspective of some as their diehard fans.
To me they're both second tier and not worth exploring further - just my opinion from my own personal experience. Some people love Joe Bananasma (sp?) to each his own.
I'll stick with the old school real deal, while these younguns can try and live up to them and/or fill their shoes- something they'll never be able to do..

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: May 29, 2017 23:16

If the Byrds were considered the American Beatles, then I'd have to say the Allman Bros were the American Stones. Bluesy, gritty, tough and powerful.

Live at the Fillmore, Eat a Peach, Brothers & Sisters all classics.

As a solo artist, I always loved Gregg Allman's version of Jackson Brownes song "These Days"-- check it out when you get a minute.

Thanks for all the great music Gregg. Adios amigo.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 30, 2017 00:13

Great lost......RIP

Date: May 30, 2017 03:38

Hairball
More Hot Rocks

No, I do have an idea as I already explained, but maybe not from the same perspective of some as their diehard fans.
To me they're both second tier and not worth exploring further - just my opinion from my own personal experience. Some people love Joe Bananasma (sp?) to each his own.
I'll stick with the old school real deal, while these younguns can try and live up to them and/or fill their shoes- something they'll never be able to do..

I don't even think you know what a guitar looks like. Let's talk about Greg not what you wanna talk about.

Date: May 30, 2017 05:37

Cooltoplady
Hairball
More Hot Rocks

I don't even think you know what a guitar looks like. Let's talk about Greg not what you wanna talk about.

Seems to me you also wanted to talk about all that when you misunderstood, quoted, and then replied to my original post regarding Greg being replaced on the ZZ Top tour last year.
I've played guitar for 40+ years, but yeah lets talk about Greg and avoid the personal insults and talking about inferior wannabe poser musicians who don't have an original bone in their body.
________________________________________________________________________________________

The way the Allman Brothers reworked this tune and pretty much made it their own makes it one of the finest covers ever by any band - Muddy was probably very proud of them.

The Allman Brothers Band - Trouble No More

thumbs up

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: June 1, 2017 12:55

Thought Gregg Allman fans might enjoy the video (below) I cobbled together and posted on YouTube.

It's 45+ minutes of unedited, unreleased footage of a 1982 interview (exact date unknown) of Gregg Allman, apparently created to use in a 7-minute New Orleans TV news spot when The Gregg Allman Band was playing at the Saenger Theater in New Orleans.

video: [www.youtube.com]

MY ASSESSMENT:
This video shows Gregg Allman at his most sober, calm, relaxed, intelligent, charming, humorous, reflective, emotionally honest best. The video was shot backstage, and you hear rehearsal music in the background, guys shouting back and forth, general mayhem--and at two points someone opens the door into Gregg's head, which he handles with aplomb and graciousness.

He reminds me in this video quite a bit of his brother Duane---a less manic version of Duane. I have struggled over the years to see a huge resemblance between the two, but you see it here. It may partly be the lighting, which brings out the strawberry in his blonde hair and eyelashes, like Duane--but also more of Duane's sort of cleverness, wisdom, and wit (which I personally have not seen a lot of, over the years, in Greg--wile Duane was known to be overbrimming with all of the above).

There are many lovely parts, but my favorites might be when he's talking about getting together, falling in love with Cher and the impact that and living in Beverly Hills had on his life (32:47-38:35 ). And the little back-and-forth I pasted below as a sort of comic strip (minute 31:21-31:38)

CONTEXT FOR THIS VIDEO:
I "spliced" this video together from 14 different videos on youtube -- the quality is rough, and I'm not 100% sure I got the clips in the original chronological order -- I edited out redundancies, but there seems to be some missing parts, and it ends abruptly.

CONTEXT OF THE GREGG ALLMAN BAND:
The Allman Brothers Band had signed to Arista Records in 1980, released 2 critically maligned albums in 1980-81, which the band themselves considered "embarrassing," and disbanded in early 1982 after playing a final performance on Saturday Night Live on January 23, 1982 (the Allman Brothers Band wouldn't play together again until April 1986). In February 1982 Gregg Allman formed the Gregg Allman Band with the Toler brothers and began touring.

-swiss

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-01 13:01 by swiss.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: June 2, 2017 04:00

Will the Circle be Unbroken?

[www.youtube.com]

Laid back Gregg.

Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: June 2, 2017 16:13

One of the great voices in Rock. Unique sound - you knew it was him from the first word of the song.

Looking at those screen shots reminds me how back in the 70's, any guy bearing a resemblance to Gregg, with the flowing blonde hair and trimmed beard, had no problems getting the attention of the ladies. I, unfortunately, had zero resemblance.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: June 2, 2017 17:00

RIP - the Fillmore East live Album is one of the greats

Date: June 3, 2017 22:48

Greg's funeral.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: June 4, 2017 00:17

Crackinup

Looking at those screen shots reminds me how back in the 70's, any guy bearing a resemblance to Gregg, with the flowing blonde hair and trimmed beard, had no problems getting the attention of the ladies. I, unfortunately, had zero resemblance.

video: [www.youtube.com]
This guy must be a long lost cousin.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 4, 2017 00:44

Tedeschi Trucks Band - Statesboro Blues (Tribute to Gregg Allman in Jacksonville, FL May 27, 2017)
[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 4, 2017 04:19

More Hot Rocks
Greg's funeral.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Thank you MHR for sharing that.

Date: June 4, 2017 19:20

Great Story on Allman playing a gig at a Buffalo, NY high school during his rehab stay there.

[buffalonews.com]

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 5, 2017 01:47

Touching!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 10, 2017 17:57

Here's a link to Derek Trucks talking about Gregg Allman and his legacy.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: June 10, 2017 20:18

dmay
Here's a link to Derek Trucks talking about Gregg Allman and his legacy.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Great read. Thank you.

Here is a tribute from CMT with Derick

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1746
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home