Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT, IPOD help
Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: May 27, 2017 04:14

I have the iPod classic & I went to sync it tonight & it seems to think it's my wife's iPod & it wiped everything clean. No music on it. On my computer I can see my library but it won't let me sync. Any clue on what I can do

Re: OT, IPOD help
Date: May 27, 2017 13:43

Can you reset it to factory setting? I have had to do that at times.
I still think that the ClASSIC Ipod is unbeaten. I cant find a better way to carry a sh*tload of music around.

Date: May 27, 2017 15:08

The Fiio X5 third generation is a better way to carry a load of music around ( more than half of a TB ).

* [www.fiio.net] *

There are a few others out there as well,such as the Onkyo DP-X1a which can hold 576 GB : [www.avnirvana.com] .

Date: May 27, 2017 15:46

Winning Ugly VXII
The Fiio X5 third generation is a better way to carry a load of music around ( more than half of a TB ).

* [www.fiio.net] *

There are a few others out there as well,such as the Onkyo DP-X1a which can hold 576 GB : [www.avnirvana.com] .

Thank You WinningUgly; I didn't mention in my reply that I would gladly find a new way to carry music around. Only because Ipods are no longer manufactured. Ijust hadn't found a good alternative. The Fiio x5 looks great. Are they expensive?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 27, 2017 16:15

Palace Revolution 2000

The Fiio x5 looks great. Are they expensive?

The FiiO X5-III costs $400 - [www.Amazon.com] .

He has 2 microSD-Card Slots - a Samsung EVO+ 256GB or a Lexar 256GB costs $130, a SanDisk Ultra 256GB $160.

With 2 microSD-Cards (plus 32 GB internal storage) the FiiO X5-III can hold up to 544 GB of digital Music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-27 16:25 by Irix.

Date: May 27, 2017 16:36

Irix
Palace Revolution 2000

He has 2 microSD-Card Slots - a Samsung EVO+ 256GB or a Lexar 256GB costs $130, a SanDisk Ultra 256GB $160.

With 2 microSD-Cards (plus 32 GB internal storage) the FiiO X5-III can hold up to 544 GB of digital Music.

I assume they are not ITunes compatible.

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: May 27, 2017 16:54

I updated an Ipod VIDEO with a 240 GB hard drive a few year back- great device; I can play movies via the 3 way jack. Apple crippled the IPod classics (6th gen and up), to prohibit that, due to DRM concerns.
I finally broke down and bought a 256GB IPhone 7, which doesn't have a headphone jack at all! So I had to buy some bluetooth earbuds (skull candy Ink'd). Just got back from the gym listening to Blue and Lonesome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-28 00:16 by ElGeordie.

Date: May 27, 2017 21:19

Palace Revolution 2000
Irix
Palace Revolution 2000

I assume they are not ITunes compatible.

I think that iTunes got rid of their DRM copy restrictions a few years back.

I don't use iTunes so I am not 100% sure about that. If there is no type of DRM copy protection,you should be able to just "copy and paste" music on your computer to the microSD card. Just use an adapter / SD / microSD card reader etc. . Sandisk , Vivitar , and Transcend manufacture or sell them.

These players will play lossy music formats in addition to lossless formats .... even DSD if you can manage to extract it from the Stones' SA-CD's.

Date: May 27, 2017 21:38

Irix
Palace Revolution 2000

If you can live with 200 GB plus 200 GB plus the 32 GB of internal storage for a total of 432 GB, :

a 200 GB microSD card costs $ 80 U.S. dollars on sale from the regular price of $ 89 :

* [www.bhphotovideo.com] *

Re: OT: IPod help
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 27, 2017 23:13

You didn't specify which iPod, but you might be able to find a solution here: [support.apple.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-27 23:14 by Koen.

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: May 28, 2017 01:12

Winning Ugly VXII
The Fiio X5 third generation is a better way to carry a load of music around...

Does it have gapless playback? The website says it is "realized via subsequent firmware updates."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-28 01:12 by lamemodem2.

Date: May 28, 2017 03:25

lamemodem2
Winning Ugly VXII
The Fiio X5 third generation is a better way to carry a load of music around...

Does it have gapless playback? The website says it is "realized via subsequent firmware updates."

Yes. I think that gapless playback was added to the 1st generation model with firmware version 2.2 but then the next couple of firmware updates messed it up .... and then sorted out again with even later firmware updates.

The gapless playback works the most reliably between tracks by the same artist. Switching between artists sometimes still results in gaps between tracks.

The "in house" audio player software is not always perfect but,you can go into "Android Mode" and download "PowerAmp" or "VLC Media Player" to play the audio files that way. (Just don't download too many Android Apps.)

The x5 player does have some operational glitches but,I mention it for its pure sound quality and storage capacity.

They are continuously working on firmware updates to improve things,though.

Also,there are plenty of options in this class of semi-high-end digital audio players .... the Onkyo DP-X1a ; Pioneer (now a partner of Onkyo) has another one which will be released soon .... and additionally a couple of more good options maybe with somewhat less storage capacity are players from Hi-Fi Man ; Astell & Kern ; the players from TEAC and the well reviewed Shanling M2 can both take 128 GB storage cards.

I would just advise to research all of the above if you are going to make a decision to buy one that best fits your needs.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: May 28, 2017 04:47

Thanks guys. Looks like a trip to apple tomorrow.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 28, 2017 12:34

While we're on this subject:
I have iTunes on my MacBook Air. It's a 128gb laptop. I also have a PC in with 1tb storage. I want to migrate all the tracks from the MacBook to the PC (The PC also running iTunes). How do I go about doing that?
Some more questions are:
In my living room I have my stereo set up, which includes a Chromecast and an Apple TV. The PC is in the basement. Can I in any way control iTunes on the PC and stream the music to the stereo via my iPhone 5s?

JumpingKentFlash

Date: May 28, 2017 16:46

JumpingKentFlash
I have iTunes on my MacBook Air. It's a 128gb laptop. I also have a PC in with 1tb storage. I want to migrate all the tracks from the MacBook to the PC (The PC also running iTunes). How do I go about doing that?
Some more questions are:
In my living room I have my stereo set up, which includes a Chromecast and an Apple TV. The PC is in the basement. Can I in any way control iTunes on the PC and stream the music to the stereo via my iPhone 5s?

1st part .... use removable media such as an SD Card , a USB Flash Drive etc. . Copy and paste the files to the removable media and then from the removable media to the second computer.

2nd part .... I don't know but,if your stereo equipment (disc player and / or receiver,amp,pre-amplifier/sound processor) have a USB input or SD Card input .......... then,instead of streaming, you could use the same "copy and paste" method as above and play the music files directly off of the USB stick or SD Card. That is if you have downloaded the music files and they are not restricted by any copy protection which would prevent this.

A way to control iTunes,I have no idea other than to get rid of it but,that is just my preference.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: May 28, 2017 17:08

I still use my old 120 gig Zune, too bad that never took off I love it. My wife has drank the Apple koolaid and uses and I pod but I can't stand I tunes so when my une finally dies I'll be looking for anything but Apple.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 28, 2017 17:13

I hear good things about MusicBee as an alternative to iTunes. It doesn't seem as organized though.

Thanks WU.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: May 28, 2017 17:37

I just organize my music manually. On a computer or on removable media. Create a folder for Music. Create a sub-folder for each artist. Create sub-folders inside of the artists' folders for albums.

an example :

/Music/Rolling_Stones/Rolling_Stones_Official/Black_and_Blue/

or :

/Music/Playlist_1/

There are a bunch of media players and digital audio players which can play the contents of folders.

Date: June 22, 2017 19:36

Winning Ugly VXII
JumpingKentFlash
Some more questions are:

1st part .... use removable media such as an SD Card , a USB Flash Drive etc. . Copy and paste the files to the removable media and then from the removable media to the second computer.

2nd part .... I don't know but,if your stereo equipment (disc player and / or receiver,amp,pre-amplifier/sound processor) have a USB input or SD Card input .......... then,instead of streaming, you could use the same "copy and paste" method as above and play the music files directly off of the USB stick or SD Card. That is if you have downloaded the music files and they are not restricted by any copy protection which would prevent this.

A way to control iTunes,I have no idea other than to get rid of it but,that is just my preference.

That's pretty much the way I did it. I learned that when you have big loads of music you are moving around it helps to try to kind of keep an eye on the transfer. Even though it takes hours.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1108
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home