Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT. RIP Sir Roger Moore
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 24, 2017 01:34

what's NME?

plexi

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 24, 2017 01:34

DGA35
RIP Roger! I first started watching James Bond movies as a young kid when he was Bond. I wasn't aware that Sean Connery was Bond in the 60s!
I'm sure that for all the Bond fans that started watching back in the 60s Sean Connery will always be James Bond. I actually like the current Bond Daniel Craig.
Yeah, you know, that's a funny thing about the Bond movies early on. I was born in 1966, so I was aware of Sean Connery as Bond when those films from the Connery era would play on TV in the early seventies. Growing up I more or less accepted Roger Moore as James Bond, as Moore had a similar elegant and classy quality as an actor in terms of screen presence.

Moore once stated in an interview that he auditioned as the original James Bond for the first film in the early sixties, but that he had been passed over because he was still quite "baby-faced" as he put it.

But, you know, there was sort of a "Beatles vs. Stones" type of thing going on back in the day on who people thought was the better, more authentic James Bond -- Sean Connery or Roger Moore?

I got a laugh over how when in 1983 Connery reprised the role (Never Say Never Again), they made it sound like James Bond had been in retirement for 12 years, completely ignoring the Roger Moore era. grinning smiley

I suppose you do have to accept that James Bond is sort of a timeless brand, a franchise like Superman, and that when an actor gets too old for the part it's time to bring in the next generation.

But who's this Craig fellow? I've already forgotten his first name since I started typing this post. They're still making Bond films? Last one I saw was A View to a Kill in 1986 -- a time when critics began suggesting that Roger Moore might be getting "a little too long in the tooth" to be playing the role.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-24 01:56 by stonehearted.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 24, 2017 01:41

A fine gentleman with a wonderful sense of humour ....
I bet even his sock-draw was always so neat and color coded ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 24, 2017 01:50

timbernardis
what's NME?

plexi

New Musical Express - a magazine.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: May 24, 2017 02:10

stonehearted
DGA35
RIP Roger! I first started watching James Bond movies as a young kid when he was Bond. I wasn't aware that Sean Connery was Bond in the 60s!
I'm sure that for all the Bond fans that started watching back in the 60s Sean Connery will always be James Bond. I actually like the current Bond Daniel Craig.
Yeah, you know, that's a funny thing about the Bond movies early on. I was born in 1966, so I was aware of Sean Connery as Bond when those films from the Connery era would play on TV in the early seventies. Growing up I more or less accepted Roger Moore as James Bond, as Moore had a similar elegant and classy quality as an actor in terms of screen presence.

Moore once stated in an interview that he auditioned as the original James Bond for the first film in the early sixties, but that he had been passed over because he was still quite "baby-faced" as he put it.

But, you know, there was sort of a "Beatles vs. Stones" type of thing going on back in the day on who people thought was the better, more authentic James Bond -- Sean Connery or Roger Moore?

I got a laugh over how when in 1983 Connery reprised the role (Never Say Never Again), they made it sound like James Bond had been in retirement for 12 years, completely ignoring the Roger Moore era. grinning smiley

I suppose you do have to accept that James Bond is sort of a timeless brand, a franchise like Superman, and that when an actor gets too old for the part it's time to bring in the next generation.

But who's this Craig fellow? I've already forgotten his first name since I started typing this post. They're still making Bond films? Last one I saw was A View to a Kill in 1986 -- a time when critics began suggesting that Roger Moore might be getting "a little too long in the tooth" to be playing the role.

I decided my favorite 007 Bond movie is "Diamonds are Forever" for many mostly personal reasons, but overall I rate Roger Moore and Sean Connery as equally great at playing the 007 role. I just rewatched Goldfinger the other night and that movie holds up perfectly. I loved it! And I loved it even more after watching the DVD extras... man it was cool.

I have seen all of the new (and old) Bond movies, and as much as I love most of them, I am not much of a fan of the "modernizing BS" pointed at 007. There is way too much trying to apply modern BS PC standards to 007.

And there is way way way waaaaaay too much yelling at Bond. I am sick of the bitching at Bond for this... bitching at Bond for that... bitching at Bond for the other... nag, nag, nag... nag nag nag.... what the hell?

007 has saved the world over and over and over and over and all these people in these newer movies do is complain about how 007 did it. Everyone yelling at Bond, everyone judging Bond, everyone saying he is not politically correct enough... it ruins the movies. STOP YELLING AT BOND and simply thank him for saving the world, again!

Roger Moore was a perfect James Bond. P E R F E C T 0 0 7 !

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-24 02:12 by HankM.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 24, 2017 02:14

Roger Moore did much for UNICEF .....
Peace be with him

ROCKMAN

Date: May 24, 2017 02:33

HankM
I have seen all of the new (and old) Bond movies, and as much as I love most of them, I am not much of a fan of the "modernizing BS" pointed at 007. There is way too much trying to apply modern BS PC standards to 007.
I'm sorry to hear that about the PC factor.

I guess they'll never name another Bond movie Octopussy, and I also suppose there will never be another Bond babe named Pussy Galore.

Thanks for the word about the DVD extras. I haven't watched a Bond movie in ages. I've just ordered one on Amazon. I'm starting with Dr. No, and will work my way through.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: May 24, 2017 02:40

He was my generation's 007.

Thank you, Sir Roger.

Date: May 24, 2017 03:03

stonehearted
HankM
I'm sorry to hear that about the PC factor.

I guess they'll never name another Bond movie Octopussy, and I also suppose there will never be another Bond babe named Pussy Galore.

Thanks for the word about the DVD extras. I haven't watched a Bond movie in ages. I've just ordered one on Amazon. I'm starting with Dr. No, and will work my way through.

For sure SH, those DVD extras are almost as cool as the movies. Be sure to obtain the DVDs with the extras. I grabbed my Goldfinger special edition DVD off of ebay for a bargain... maybe 99 cents. The extras were eye opening... so many fun facts!

And I loved it when Honor Blackman was interviewed and she just rolled her eyes in "whateverness" at anyone having an issue with her name in Goldfinger. She is awesome, she gets it, it is all for fun.

If you never see any of the new PC Bond films you will be fine...
it is sad how they... do what I said above.

PS
You are so very very correct about the fun of growing up the 70s80s90s...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-24 03:08 by HankM.

Date: May 24, 2017 05:09

For anyone interested, Sir Roger Moore is a guest on Johnny Carson reruns tonight

Antenna TV- check local listings

Johnny Carson still the best talk show on TV...

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: May 24, 2017 05:56

HankM
For anyone interested, Sir Roger Moore is a guest on Johnny Carson reruns tonight

Thanks for the heads up...Johnny's last show was 25 years ago yesterday. Who knows where the time goes.

RIP to Sir Roger - the Bond I grew up with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-24 05:57 by Jah Paul.

Date: May 24, 2017 06:04

HankM
PS
Thanks, Hank! I know, 'cause I was there. thumbs up That Manchester thread is a mess, and I'm staying out of it from now on.

And yes, I ordered the DVD of Dr. No with the extras. Looking forward to it!

I'll try and find that interview I mentioned where Roger Moore talks about auditioning as the first James Bond -- it was sometime in the 80s. If it's available anywhere, I'll post it here.

Date: May 24, 2017 07:02

Jah Paul
HankM

Thanks for the heads up...Johnny's last show was 25 years ago yesterday. Who knows where the time goes.

RIP to Sir Roger - the Bond I grew up with.

My pleasure, it was a fun interview, he was COOL!!!
I guess he and Johnny were friends and they told some some stories...

I enjoy watching the Carson reruns. Some episodes are amazing.
Other episodes are hit and miss, but sometimes it is insane amazing!

I do not watch any of the current propaganda mouth pieces shilling on the late night shows these days. I gave them all a try and they range from annoying to unwatchable. It is sad when I am flipping and see someone I would like to watch... but the hosts ruin it.

I respect the people at Antenna TV for paying attention and when a great one passes away they rack up Carson shows where they were on. Of course it is good business, but also good to see them.

Date: May 24, 2017 07:03

DGA35

Daniel craig is great

Date: May 24, 2017 07:13

stonehearted
HankM
PS
Thanks, Hank! I know, 'cause I was there. thumbs up

Me too... good times...
They need to get that time machine invented already.
I dont know if I would go back as far as the 60s... but I would be delighted to live an exact loop of my life again and again and again from New Years Eve 1984 to... oh... probably... NYE 1999. Best time anyone had ever. Seriously good times..
but these 18 fkg years since... not so much. sad smiley

And yes, I ordered the DVD of Dr. No with the extras. Looking forward to it! Sweet!

I say DAF is my favorite, but I think Goldfinger might be better. When you get to Goldfinger make a post after watching those amazing extras to see what you think.

I'll try and find that interview I mentioned where Roger Moore talks about auditioning as the first James Bond -- it was sometime in the 80s. If it's available anywhere, I'll post it here.
Cool!smileys with beer

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: May 24, 2017 08:07

OT: This is more of the subject of Johnny Carson but includes Roger Moore and any of Johnny's guests. Apparently NBC didn't archive any of the tape recordings. They reused the tapes, erasing earlier broadcasts. Someone several years ago found a catalog of tapes at March Air Force Base. What happened was the military would tape the Carson broadcasts because of the time changes then replay em all over the world. From what I can remember, the tapes were donated to the Carson family so not every show was lost.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 24, 2017 08:11

keefriffhard4life
DGA35

Daniel craig is great

And he's married to Rachel Weisz! She should have been a Bond girl.

Date: May 24, 2017 08:17

So here's an article that has a bit of research on whether Roger Moore might have been in the running to play the first James Bond in 1962.

It turns out he didn't audition, but he was on the producers' short list of actors being considered, though Moore was never aware of this until much later. At that point he had been friends with the Bond films' producers for years and even lived near one of them.

Article: [www.cbr.com]

Here's a two-part interview Moore did with Good Morning America in 1985 to talk about A View to a Kill -- also in this interview are three actors who played Bond villains, including Christopher Lee who was a cousin of Ian Fleming.

Part 1: [www.youtube.com]

Part 2: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 24, 2017 08:21

mr_dja
A part of my youth just went away...

RIP

Peace,
Mr DJA

Most of all to me, Roger Moore was Simon Templar in that period, the Saint.

Date: May 24, 2017 08:21

HankM

Did they show the helium clip?

Roger Moore does helium and speaks: [www.youtube.com]

Date: May 24, 2017 08:22

shattered
OT: This is more of the subject of Johnny Carson but includes Roger Moore and any of Johnny's guests. Apparently NBC didn't archive any of the tape recordings. They reused the tapes, erasing earlier broadcasts. Someone several years ago found a catalog of tapes at March Air Force Base. What happened was the military would tape the Carson broadcasts because of the time changes then replay em all over the world. From what I can remember, the tapes were donated to the Carson family so not every show was lost.

Cool story, I would LOVE to see more early Johnny Carson shows.
I guess Johnny was wise enough that after losing his early shows to "reused tape" he...

The first ten years of “The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson,” recorded on reel-to-reel videotape, are almost all gone, recorded over by NBC. In 1972, Carson’s contract negotiation included ownership of the show and he took pains to have the next 20 years of shows, which include more than 3,300 hours of television, stored in a secure and temperature-controlled environment: A once active salt mine in Hutchinson, Kansas.

[www.google.com]

Date: May 24, 2017 08:47

stonehearted

Here's a two-part interview Moore did with Good Morning America in 1985 to talk about A View to a Kill -- also in this interview are three actors who played Bond villains, including Christopher Lee who was a cousin of Ian Fleming.

Part 1: [www.youtube.com]

Part 2: [www.youtube.com]

Wow! That was fun... I learn something new everyday, that part about Christopher Lee being told from the horses mouth than Bond villains are the dark side of Bond is amazing.

And ya know... I got a sense of Keith Richards vibe from Roger Moore in the first interviews.

And Walken!!! That guy says so much with a grunt and half laugh (as he uses one of them new fangled high tech computers thingamajigs to see Bond is Licensed to Kill.How bad is Walken's villain? "HE IS BAD!!! WORST SINCE CALIGULA!" rotflmao!!!!

These interviews are a very nice piece for this thread, Roger Moore was loved... and I guess very funny grinning smiley

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 24, 2017 12:43

In my book the best James Bond. Thanks for the magic Mr. Moore!!!

RIP

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 24, 2017 14:34

He was fantastic in Live & Let Die, Man With The Golden Gun, and Spy Who Loved Me. Moonraker was a cash-in on Star Wars, but, by the time of For Your Eyes Only, Moore wasn't raging well, and by Octopussy and View To A Kill, plot, leading man, and formula were tired in the extreme. By then, I was thinking Elvis movies with guns and girls.

I was glad that Pierce Brosnan gave it a shot in the arm, and then Daniel Craig.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 24, 2017 15:06

The Bond films in the Moore era were increasingly verging on self parody...

...but they were still very enjoyable, and it was Roger Moore's personality and style that allowed them to get away with it for so long.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 24, 2017 15:59

I enjoyed the "Blaxploitation" aspects of Live and Let Die, but I thought the whole franchise went seriously downhill after that.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: May 25, 2017 00:49

the saint!

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: May 25, 2017 02:49

He was my first James Bond. I thought he was a great actor.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1909
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home