Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Lucky Dip Ticket Questions
Posted by: stereomanic ()
Date: May 19, 2017 15:39

Hi,

First time I've ever managed to get some Lucky Dip tickets for any Stones show (Paris 3rd date on my birthday - definitely lucky!).

Everything was in French including the email I got with an attachment.

Do I just show up to the Arena with a print out of the confirmation along with my ID and card I used to pay with? Will this be sign posted when I get there and what sort of time should you turn up?

Any ideas where in the Arena you are likely to be? I mean would I be right in thinking *most* of the lucky dip tickets are probably just General Admission or seats at the back? Or have people ended up in the tongue pit before with these lucky dips?

Any other advice regarding these tickets and any good stories?

Re: Lucky Dip Ticket Questions
Posted by: atip ()
Date: May 19, 2017 16:07

stereomanic
Hi,

First time I've ever managed to get some Lucky Dip tickets for any Stones show (Paris 3rd date on my birthday - definitely lucky!).

Do I just show up to the Arena with a print out of the confirmation along with my ID and card I used to pay with? Will this be sign posted when I get there and what sort of time should you turn up?

Any ideas where in the Arena you are likely to be? I mean would I be right in thinking *most* of the lucky dip tickets are probably just General Admission or seats at the back? Or have people ended up in the tongue pit before with these lucky dips?

Hi, I'm basing this on having LD's 5x, all in the USA.

1. Yes, to everything you've written about showing up with ID/card/confirm, and sign posted for LD pickup. However, it may be actually implemented looser or a little diff than the requirements per location, at least that's what I found. The tickets were always pre-picked with my name before you arrive. That is, we weren't picking out of a random stack of envelopes. As for time, I think they recommend early, but it's not that big a deal.

2. I'll guess that where you get seated is influenced by ticket sales. Figure on good sales leaving more crap seats for LD, and v-v. Of my 5, one was pit, one was LL, and three were terrible. I've read quite a few people writing about LD pit, so it definitely happens.

There's my 2-cents... Good luck!

Posted by: Starr ()
Date: May 19, 2017 16:09

Hi, I obtained lucky dip for Kansas City on the zip-code tour on arrival there was a clear sign for the queue to the lucky dip entrance. They give you your tickets after you have to produce the printout and card you paid with (I didn't need picture although it says you do) and my seats were in the top section high up to the front left of the stage. I had a good view of the show (although had to watch the screen for close detail) and the sound was crystal clear so I was very satisfied for the amount I paid. I have heard that you could be in the tongue pit but it is more likely that you will be in a seat far up or at the back. IMO it is still worth being in the arena for the price of lucky dips I think. I have lucky dips now for Zurich so wait and see...!

"till the next time..."

Star

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 19, 2017 16:27

I have Luck Dips for Paris 1 & Paris 2. Based on atip's 2nd point, which seems very rational and logical, I'm worried sad smiley. I wanted Fosse Or for both shows and couldn't get a sniff of them.

Did anyone do Lucky Dip for Paris 2014? That was a very strong seller.

It could also be that Lucky Dippers are allocated the very expensive seats that sold poorly.

Posted by: stereomanic ()
Date: May 19, 2017 16:39

atip
stereomanic
Hi,

Hi, I'm basing this on having LD's 5x, all in the USA.

1. Yes, to everything you've written about showing up with ID/card/confirm, and sign posted for LD pickup. However, it may be actually implemented looser or a little diff than the requirements per location, at least that's what I found. The tickets were always pre-picked with my name before you arrive. That is, we weren't picking out of a random stack of envelopes. As for time, I think they recommend early, but it's not that big a deal.

2. I'll guess that where you get seated is influenced by ticket sales. Figure on good sales leaving more crap seats for LD, and v-v. Of my 5, one was pit, one was LL, and three were terrible. I've read quite a few people writing about LD pit, so it definitely happens.

There's my 2-cents... Good luck!

Awesome thanks for that - although your run rate wasn't very good with your 3 out of 5 being terrible! Haha doesn't fill me with confidence. But it doesn't really matter if they are seats up in the gods - can't really complain at the price!

Posted by: Stoneswolf ()
Date: May 19, 2017 16:46

Had ld for Paris 2014. Seats were near to the stage upper left which made it interesting as we could see the band arriving and leaving backstage.

It was great fun as the French audience is so energetic - in contrast to Switzerland where I also had lucky dip but every body around me kept seating on their seats. Luckily it was no problem to move to the standing section in Zurich.

Date: May 19, 2017 17:25

Stoneswolf
Had ld for Paris 2014. Seats were near to the stage upper left which made it interesting as we could see the band arriving and leaving backstage.

It was great fun as the French audience is so energetic - in contrast to Switzerland where I also had lucky dip but every body around me kept seating on their seats. Luckily it was no problem to move to the standing section in Zurich.

Paris 2014 was a very definite and genuine fast sellout (unlike 2007, which I also attended). I was right at the front of Pelouse Or, 2nd row on Keith's side and the Pelouse VIP appeared to be very underfilled to allow the VIPs to pace around comfortably. The tickets for Paris in 2014 were amongst the cheapest on that tour.

I like a front side seat too if I can't get a place on the floor so I'd be very pleased if I got that.

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: May 19, 2017 20:36

And if anyone would like to increase their chances of getting a great seat out of the Lucky Dips in 2017, I have a spare LD ticket available for both Munich and Dusseldorf thumbs up

syrel

Date: May 19, 2017 21:01

syrel
And if anyone would like to increase their chances of getting a great seat out of the Lucky Dips in 2017, I have a spare LD ticket available for both Munich and Dusseldorf thumbs up

syrel

As I do for Paris 1 and Paris 2. I don't know why on Earth they insist on selling them in pairs - it's a real pain for solo travellers. I suppose for those turning up without a ticket, it will be easy to buy a spare from someone in the Lucky Dip queue. I might try that in Hamburg.

They sold Lucky Dips in Singles for the 14 on Fire gig at Oslo and I believe they did the same for Copenhagen this time out.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: May 19, 2017 22:06

Sorry but no, there is/was no option for one Lucky Dip ticket for Copenhagen 2017.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: May 19, 2017 23:15

Barcelona had single Lucky Dips.

Date: May 19, 2017 23:33

Topi
Barcelona had single Lucky Dips.

Thanks Topi - I knew somewhere had but it obviously wasn't Copenhagen. It seems a waste to sell them in pairs as I've read many stories of solo travellers unable to sell their spare, thus leaving an empty seat and others only managing to sell or give away to a complete stranger at the last gasp.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: May 20, 2017 00:48

If you travel solo with lucky dips then it is easy you find the prettiest girl in town and ask her if she wants to come see the greatest band in the world tonight.

Nate

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: May 20, 2017 20:20

Nate
If you travel solo with lucky dips then it is easy you find the prettiest girl in town and ask her if she wants to come see the greatest band in the world tonight.

Nate

As soon as she sees the shitty seats you have she will leave))))))

Date: May 20, 2017 20:58

leteyer
Nate

Nate

They aren't always shitty Leteyer. There are plenty of posters on here who've done very well with Lucky Dips. They are always cheaper than the lowest category of regular ticket so imho, you can't lose. I've never done Lucky Dip before but I'm looking forward to doing it for Paris 1 & 2, even though my 1st preference was Fosse Or.

Re: Lucky Dip Ticket Reply
Date: May 20, 2017 22:51

I've had Lucky Dips for 6 different venues and the way it works is each venue sets up their own area for ticket pick-ups. Some places are heavily guarded and others have very little security. You def need the Credit Card used to purchase, plus Photo ID, and the guest has to be there with you. And once you get the tickets, you cant get back outside to try and sell them. But its totally random, they hand out envelopes with pairs. I ended up with expensive seats that didn't sell, decent seats, and nosebleeds, so you take a chance buying these but I always try moving closer to the stage if that happens. Your still in the house for cheap. No matter what its worth it. One thing I'm gonna say is, I think there is a special person who holds the envelopes with the Pit Seats. If at all possible, try to scope that person out in advance, try to get their attention and make the case that you are a huge fan, etc, act excited, and you might get the very Lucky Dips!

Date: May 20, 2017 23:32

BitchKeepsBitchin
I've had Lucky Dips for 6 different venues and the way it works is each venue sets up their own area for ticket pick-ups. Some places are heavily guarded and others have very little security. You def need the Credit Card used to purchase, plus Photo ID, and the guest has to be there with you. And once you get the tickets, you cant get back outside to try and sell them. But its totally random, they hand out envelopes with pairs. I ended up with expensive seats that didn't sell, decent seats, and nosebleeds, so you take a chance buying these but I always try moving closer to the stage if that happens. Your still in the house for cheap. No matter what its worth it. One thing I'm gonna say is, I think there is a special person who holds the envelopes with the Pit Seats. If at all possible, try to scope that person out in advance, try to get their attention and make the case that you are a huge fan, etc, act excited, and you might get the very Lucky Dips!

As a veteran of 6 Lucky Dips (wow!) did you see any solo Lucky dippers? What happens to them? If they haven't been able to find a guest are they still allowed to collect one ticket but not the other? It must happen sometimes.

Posted by: Harpo ()
Date: May 21, 2017 00:38

At the Anaheim show in the Honda stadium our lucky dips were the very last row in the back. During the 1st Stones song a guy in a suit came by and swapped tickets for our entire row. We were moved to the side of the tongue. Great seats! A gal was on a beer run and missed out. They wouldn't let her join her Friends. In Kansas we went in after the warm up band was playing. They filled an empty section up close With lucky dips. All of our group sat together. At a couple of other Lucky Dip shows they just handed you the tickets outside and you were free to go whereever including to sell our overpriced tickets. It seems the rules vary by venue.
I got several Lucky Dips a couple of days before the show. I saved the link from the Rolling Stones site and kept checking it day and night. Bought one pair in the middle of the night. They would sell them in about 15 minute windows, then it would go back to the not available. Want Lucky Dips? Don't give up!

Posted by: laughinearlydied ()
Date: May 21, 2017 05:00

well i guess it depends on the venue and on the year. i bought lucky dips in 2014. you could not in any way influence what seats you were going to get - acting like the biggest fan, amazing appearance etc. - the tickets were ready in sealed envelopes with your name printed on it. inside were tickets and an a4 paper with printed name and info about the order. the envelopes were indistinguishable from each other, and they were all stacked together, so the workers didnt know anything about your seats. we talked to people in the line before and after we picked up the tickets and it really seemed completely random. we saw people with tickets right next to the catwalk and people with nosebleeds in the farthest possible spot in the venue. I got side 2 times, both actually good seats, for me better than GA standing.

as much as i would love to believe that the band requested something like this, that it is from their kind hearts to the fans, i cant. because it is not. if they genuinely wanted to do something for their fans, they would make sure that the fans can at least get the tickets. 800euro+ for reasonable distance from the stage in a huge stadium, that is just stupid. advertising pit for 220 in paris that nobody could get, and not even sell it in general sale. that is stupid. "hundreds" of stupid packages that nobody wants but you need to buy it if you want to get the ticket. etc etc. and of course scalpers.

they play. we like it. and that is the end of the relationship. at least for them.

anyway. good luck for everybody with lucky dips. i have them for paris 2, so lets hope those 350 seats and 800 packages wont sell, or that they are just in a good mood or something grinning smiley smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: May 21, 2017 10:51

grzegorz67

As a veteran of 6 Lucky Dips (wow!) did you see any solo Lucky dippers? What happens to them? If they haven't been able to find a guest are they still allowed to collect one ticket but not the other? It must happen sometimes.

I went in solo to Berlin 2014. It was irritating (to me) but not a problem. Both tickets were in an envelope, I just used one.

syrel

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 21, 2017 12:41

syrel
grzegorz67

I went in solo to Berlin 2014. It was irritating (to me) but not a problem. Both tickets were in an envelope, I just used one.

syrel

well, I guess there won't be any problem the find a guest right in front of the venue (or on IORR) if you need one.

Date: May 21, 2017 14:11

grzegorz67
leteyer
Nate

Nate

They aren't always shitty Leteyer. There are plenty of posters on here who've done very well with Lucky Dips. They are always cheaper than the lowest category of regular ticket so imho, you can't lose. I've never done Lucky Dip before but I'm looking forward to doing it for Paris 1 & 2, even though my 1st preference was Fosse Or.

It was a joke..I have done LD twice, one in Dusseldorf was my worst ever sitting and the other was pretty bad but I manage to get to the FOS...I have LD for Paris 3.

Date: May 21, 2017 15:16

leteyer
grzegorz67
leteyer
Nate

Nate

It was a joke..I have done LD twice, one in Dusseldorf was my worst ever sitting and the other was pretty bad but I manage to get to the FOS...I have LD for Paris 3.

I know it was a joke leteyer winking smiley. I suppose the whole thing is a gamble and that's what makes it exciting. I'm hoping my LDs for Shows 1& 2 give me decent seats for at least 1 show out of 2. It certainly seems that Paris is the most popular show(s) of the tour, like last time so I hope my spare LDs will be much easier to sell than at other venues. They haven't appeared on my bank statement yet but they should be around £50 GBP, which is an amazing price to see the Stones in 2017.

Last time I got so so lucky for Paris when I met your young friend Alin on the London-Paris bus the day before the show and she sold me your spare for Pelouse Or outside the Stade de France on showday. My friend of 30 years travelled from U.K. and his ticket was for the same entrance so we could queue and stand together. Paris seems like a great place to live for concerts. I saw Paul McCartney at Bercy last year - 73€ in GA!

Date: May 21, 2017 19:42

grzegorz67
leteyer
grzegorz67
leteyer
Nate

Nate

I know it was a joke leteyer winking smiley. I suppose the whole thing is a gamble and that's what makes it exciting. I'm hoping my LDs for Shows 1& 2 give me decent seats for at least 1 show out of 2. It certainly seems that Paris is the most popular show(s) of the tour, like last time so I hope my spare LDs will be much easier to sell than at other venues. They haven't appeared on my bank statement yet but they should be around £50 GBP, which is an amazing price to see the Stones in 2017.

Last time I got so so lucky for Paris when I met your young friend Alin on the London-Paris bus the day before the show and she sold me your spare for Pelouse Or outside the Stade de France on showday. My friend of 30 years travelled from U.K. and his ticket was for the same entrance so we could queue and stand together. Paris seems like a great place to live for concerts. I saw Paul McCartney at Bercy last year - 73€ in GA!

Yes, now I remember you...So maybe see you here next time

Posted by: Amy340 ()
Date: May 21, 2017 22:07

grzegorz67
BitchKeepsBitchin

Yes, this happened to me at the second Toronto show in 2013. My friend who was to take my Lucky Dip was unable to hours before showtime. I showed up by myself and said my friend couldn't make it, they only gave me one of the tickets.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: May 22, 2017 07:19

And remember...
You do not have to sit in your assigned seat.

Unless venue security over there is way way stricter than over here.

For people on a budget lucky dips are an awesome way to go.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 23, 2017 05:50

I was a guinea pig for the very first Lucky Dip concert in L.A. in 2013. I didn't know how it worked until later. I had the very, very worst seats in the house. You could only see Ronnie and partially Mick. I did move around eventually and found a better view. However, I found out later, that people with really crap tickets like mine were going to guest services, where they were often given better seats. Hope this helps, because it didn't help me.

Posted by: SirCorto ()
Date: May 31, 2017 21:02

Last time lucky dips, at least in Israel, were sold in 2 different
time slots (being sold out and after a few weeks another time slot).
It was the same in other sites for the 2014 On fire tour? Is there any
chance for the same (another lucky dip time slot) this tour?

Date: May 31, 2017 22:25

SirCorto
Last time lucky dips, at least in Israel, were sold in 2 different
time slots (being sold out and after a few weeks another time slot).
It was the same in other sites for the 2014 On fire tour? Is there any
chance for the same (another lucky dip time slot) this tour?

Definitely. Last time out on 14 on Fire, they were selling Lucky Dips for 655NOK pretty much constantly between going on sale and show day. They were selling them in singles too! They were showing as Sold Out on the Stones website, but when you clicked on the actual link to ticketmaster, they were available.

Further Lucky Dip sales are likely for the slower selling shows such as Stockholm, Zurich and Spielberg

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: May 31, 2017 23:38

leteyer
I have done LD twice, one in Dusseldorf was my worst ever sitting and the other was pretty bad but I manage to get to the FOS...I have LD for Paris 3.

My LD for Düsseldorf were excellent seats. Awesome! (Although they fu***d up Brown Sugar). Now I got LD for Paris 3 as well and an airport hotel for 48 Euros and a flight for 80 which takes me back to work the next morning. That way I get to see the first and last show of the (last) tour (ever).

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1743
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home