Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627Next
Current Page: 24 of 27
Re: Sticky Fingers Live At The Fonda to be released on DVD/Blu Ray
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 15, 2017 04:32

Hairball
I don't have much of a problem with any of this dvd except some of the same minor complaints that have already mentioned above.
My only problem is Ronnie's solo in CYHMK...almost complete overkill that lacks a lot subtlety and nuance.
It starts of decent enough, but then turns into a freight train blasting through a field of tulips...he literally shreds the vibe.
Then Karl steps back in and sort of reels Ronnie back in to a listenable groove, but the damage had been done.[/quote

Look you saw Mick Taylor
do it at the LA forum and now you’re ruined for
life. Price you pay.
(Edit, Staples Center, 2013, Midnight Rambler. East Coast got the CYHMK, seen the videos. It was a dumb joke. And Ron Wood kills it here, btw)
;-/
As for ‘documentary’ I barely heard anything from these guys. Ronnie was hilarious sincerely ?’s who IS it on SF cover,
and, well, after Mick unfolded himself into the chair laughing,
I confess I don’t remember what he said after that -
IDK, I am not a video concert viewer, 90% audio only,
so the order not important -

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-15 05:51 by 35love.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 15, 2017 06:05

35love
Hairball
I don't have much of a problem with any of this dvd except some of the same minor complaints that have already mentioned above.
My only problem is Ronnie's solo in CYHMK...almost complete overkill that lacks a lot subtlety and nuance.
It starts of decent enough, but then turns into a freight train blasting through a field of tulips...he literally shreds the vibe.
Then Karl steps back in and sort of reels Ronnie back in to a listenable groove, but the damage had been done.
Look you saw Mick Taylor
do it at the LA forum and now you’re ruined for
life. Price you pay.
;-/
As for ‘documentary’ I barely heard anything from these guys. Ronnie was hilarious sincerely ?’s who IS it on SF cover,
and, well, after Mick unfolded himself into the chair laughing,
I confess I don’t remember what he said after that -
IDK, I am not a video concert viewer, 90% audio only,
so the order not important -

Actually it was L.A. Staples Center - not the Forum. I also saw him play it at both Anaheim shows as well as Vegas in '13. And I saw him play it at the very small 100 Club at a solo show in London '03.
But they're all readily available on boots and in some cases videos on youtube, so everyone can experience them if they wish. Or, you can simply listen to the original studio version - nothing beats that imo.
But again, enjoying this release for the most part - it clearly shows the Stones are truly in their element and give it all they got when playing in small venues - especially during this latter part of their career. thumbs up

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 16, 2017 13:21

I finally watched this on Saturday and what a joy this was for me with the exception of the buzz/vibe busting interviews which should be in the bonus section along with my only other gripe being the incorrect track running order which I prefer the actual setlist(but fixed easy enough with my remote/clicker to get the order correct ) order from the actual concert .Fine work by the Rolling Stones performing the entirety of Sticky Fingers .I loved Mick's comment that they are performing Sticky Fingers in the order of the track listing for the 8 track cassette ,that had me laughing .Very good playing throughout the show and when the Rolling Stones / Glimmer Twins set there mind to doing something there is no one that can stop them from achieving there goals . Bravo !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: October 19, 2017 14:08

I finally saw the excellent DVD, audio and video, great concert and great performance. Ronnie here is great, her solo guitar in CYHMK is sublime, great work at Karl's sax. Keith was very focused on doing a good job. Sister Morphine is gorgeous and Ronnie is applause, I still have goose skin. This concert is fantastic and you do not feel the lack of Taylor. Thank you Jesus, thank you lord!

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 19, 2017 14:31

I think Jumping Jack Flash vocals are overdubbed. Mick seems like he has a problem during the song...

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: October 19, 2017 22:36

hockenheim95
I think Jumping Jack Flash vocals are overdubbed. Mick seems like he has a problem during the song...
Is there a Live Stones album without overdubbed? I think no and I think overdubbed is fine if it does not overthrow the original.

Date: October 19, 2017 22:41

Testify
hockenheim95
Is there a Live Stones album without overdubbed? I think no and I think overdubbed is fine if it does not overthrow the original.

I don't think there are vocal overdubs on Hyde park and Cuba. Only major screw ups were fixed (SMU intro, OOC solo)

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: October 20, 2017 05:54

Available now on several well known trackers.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 20, 2017 07:06

As I had thought, Amazon sent me a CD/DVD package instead of the ordered LP/DVD set.

I asked that they rectify and after to-ing and fro-ing they agreed.

Another CD/DVD set arrived.

After to-ing and fro-ing again they tell me they have refunded all costs to me, I can keep both CD/DVD sets, BUT no LP/DVD set is in stock so they cant fulfill my original order.

There ARE "resellers" stock available thru Amazon.co.uk, which is where I ordered, but NONE IN Amazon's actual stock.

Bugga

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-20 09:03 by bitusa2012.

Date: October 20, 2017 07:37

bitusa2012
As I had thought, Amazon sent me a CD/DVD package instead of the ordered LP/DVD set.

After to-ing and fro-ing again they tell me they have refunded all costs to me, I can keep both CD/DVD sets, BUT no LP/DVD set is in stock so they cant fulfill my original order.

There ARE "resellers" available thru Amazon.co.uk, which is where I rodered, but NONE IN Amazon's actual stock.

Bugga

are you in the usa? do you have a spare cd/dvd set you would like to sell?

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 20, 2017 09:03

keefriffhard4life
bitusa2012

There ARE "resellers" available thru Amazon.co.uk, which is where I rodered, but NONE IN Amazon's actual stock.

Bugga

I am in Australia!

Rod

Date: October 20, 2017 09:46

bitusa2012
keefriffhard4life
bitusa2012

Bugga

I am in Australia!

oh ok. didn't know with the user name

Date: October 20, 2017 10:21

bitusa2012
keefriffhard4life
bitusa2012

Bugga

I am in Australia!

The same thing happened to me with the Marquee-set.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: October 20, 2017 11:48

I think it's an excellent release from start to finish. Jagger's performance is very powerful. I also enjoyed the interviews between songs, they make this release stand out from all the other regular concert videos out there.

Date: October 20, 2017 12:05

Wild Slivovitz
I think it's an excellent release from start to finish. Jagger's performance is very powerful. I also enjoyed the interviews between songs, they make this release stand out from all the other regular concert videos out there.

+1 (including the interviews)

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 20, 2017 14:14

Testify
hockenheim95

Agreed to that -

However, and only for the sake of "knowing", I'd like to suggest sharing input on possible overdubs for this recording again...

I haven't (and can't either, right now) watched this DVD in close detail; but has anybody else noticed that thing about the lead vocals on JJF too?
Any other moments during the show you got an 'OD*-Alert'?

* 'OD' means overdub... smoking smiley

Date: October 20, 2017 14:24

RoughJusticeOnYa
Testify
hockenheim95

Agreed to that -

However, and only for the sake of "knowing", I'd like to suggest sharing input on possible overdubs for this recording again...

I haven't (and can't either, right now) watched this DVD in close detail; but has anybody else noticed that thing about the lead vocals on JJF too?
Any other moments during the show you got an 'OD*-Alert'?

* 'OD' means overdub... smoking smiley

There is an auto tune-moment on Moonlight Mile, as proven on this board earlier.

I don't think there are any overdubs on SAL, btw (apart from 2 seconds on one track by Ronnie, as he confirmed himself).

Posted by: slowhand ()
Date: October 29, 2017 19:42

Is there a general consensus on the best audio version of this show? CD, Blu-ray 2.0 audio or original download?

Date: October 29, 2017 20:03

slowhand
Is there a general consensus on the best audio version of this show? CD, Blu-ray 2.0 audio or original download?

Blu Ray sounds very good. Download and CD is not that good. I did not listen to vinyl.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 30, 2017 12:02

Great setlist, great moments on stage, yes, but a lousy, muffled sound on CD and download. Inbelievable how bad it sounds.

Date: October 30, 2017 13:06

RobertJohnson
Great setlist, great moments on stage, yes, but a lousy, muffled sound on CD and download. Inbelievable how bad it sounds.

That's strange, as the vinyl sounds excellent...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 30, 2017 13:27

Yep , the vinyl isn't at all bad .

[Better sound on vinyl than many other Vaults releases to be fair.
Some of which are a bit one dimensional and lacking in dynamics ]

Date: October 30, 2017 13:31

Spud
Yep , the vinyl isn't at all bad .

[Better sound on vinyl than many other Vaults releases to be fair.
Some of which are a bit one dimensional and lacking in dynamics ]

Yeah, there is a huuuge difference in dynamics between Brussels and Hyde Park, for instance, where the latter sounds rather flat in comparison.

Date: October 31, 2017 13:04

DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson

I've got the DVD/CD-package from Amazon. I heard only the CD so far hoping that the DVD sounds better. And checked the download quality by Apple Music. I concede that it sounds a little better using AirPods.

Date: October 31, 2017 13:15

RobertJohnson
DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson

I've got the DVD/CD-package from Amazon. I heard only the CD so far hoping that the DVD sounds better. And checked the download quality by Apple Music. I concede that it sounds a little better using AirPods.

What is it exactly that you find bad about the sound?

Date: October 31, 2017 16:12

DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson
DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson

Particularly the first tracks, the non-Sticky Fingers, are completely muffled, e.g. "Whip" I can't hardly differentiate between Ronnie and Keith. I general the record lacks analytical depth. I don't know exactly to say it in English.

Date: October 31, 2017 17:33

RobertJohnson
DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson
DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson

Particularly the first tracks, the non-Sticky Fingers, are completely muffled, e.g. "Whip" I can't hardly differentiate between Ronnie and Keith. I general the record lacks analytical depth. I don't know exactly to say it in English.

Hmm, seems weird. They are heavily panned on each side on the vinyl version. Shouldn't really be any reason for selling different mixes here?

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: October 31, 2017 17:43

DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson
Hmm, seems weird. They are heavily panned on each side on the vinyl version. Shouldn't really be any reason for selling different mixes here?
I think the CD mix itself it pretty good but it sounds squashed (->brickwalled) like hell. No transients so if you look at the waveform it's all one big sausage. Not the first time Marcussen ruined a great Mix from clearmountain. Don't have the LP, but I bet that for Vinyl they used the same mix but did a seperate mastering.

Date: October 31, 2017 19:16

I can't listen to this and Hyde Park because of the mastering. They sound so bad. The Blu Ray versions are great.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: October 31, 2017 20:20

hockenheim95
I can't listen to this and Hyde Park because of the mastering. They sound so bad. The Blu Ray versions are great.
Stephen Marcussen has ruined the CD/Download sound of many recent live releases.. Havana Moon, Totally Stripped, Live at leeds & roundhouse from the SF Super Deluxe and most From The Vault releases. A shame since Bob Clearmountain always does a stellar mixing job. Wish they would let Kevin Gray do it again, he did a great job on Some Girls live in Texas.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627Next
Current Page: 24 of 27

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1308
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home