Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 27
Re: Sticky Fingers Live At The Fonda to be released on DVD/Blu Ray
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 2, 2017 23:48

jackflash27
TooTough
What a fantastic release!
CLEARLY and BY FAR the best official live recording
of their live output of the 1989 and onwards tours.

Ronnie shines on this!

Great guitars up front, great snare sound, really good tempo.
And Mick is fantastic, too:
"I hope you all got your 10$ back!"

Better than stripped?

Yes.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: October 3, 2017 00:07

TooTough
jackflash27
TooTough
What a fantastic release!
CLEARLY and BY FAR the best official live recording
of their live output of the 1989 and onwards tours.

Ronnie shines on this!

Great guitars up front, great snare sound, really good tempo.
And Mick is fantastic, too:
"I hope you all got your 10$ back!"

Better than stripped?

Yes.

No. Both great

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 3, 2017 01:24

I must say it is really stunning great

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 3, 2017 02:09

Bashlets
Amazon USA has a vinyl being released October 13th with a DVD and a hybrid sacd for like 41.99. That's the one I purchased. I saw the vinyl this past weekend but I'd didn't appear to have the cd or dvd with it. I already have the bluray/cd combo but the sacd kind of sold me on it

I ordered my LP/DVD set from Amazon uk. I scored a ridiculous price. I believe it to a mistake. Now I get a notice that it has been reduced in price to around 11 pounds and that is been despatched even though on their website they say they receive the LP set on October 13. So now I think for sure I am getting the CD set with the DVD. I am going to try and hold them to my actual order of LP/DVD though.

Rod

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 3, 2017 12:24

Great performance.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: October 3, 2017 12:41

frankotero
silkcut1978 -I've seen the vinyl in 2 stores so far in Germany and one in Luxembourg. I was lucky to get the price of 42.99 the cheapest so far. Sure Amazon will deliver but sometimes they take awhile. And they're a little cheaper. TSMR vinyl I've just seen twice, and one of them I bought. Seems it's not rare at around 20,000 copies I suspect the same of SF Live. Hang in there, it's a nice record.

Thanks - I already have the Satanic set and it's nice. Got it from Amazon and saw it at Media Markt as well. But no trace of the SF vinyl-set so far :-(

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 3, 2017 12:55

Just listened to this release on Spotify. My two grumpy cents:

Very uneven. The opening non-Sticky numbers sound nice and raunchy. The Sticky Fingers songs really shine at times, but sound sloppy at other times. Tempos are too fast some times and too slow at other times. I think Mick is the one who performs consistently really well. Overall, Ronnie outshines Keith, IMHO.

* Sway - a fine version, though a bit too fast perhaps. Mick's singing is great, Keith is good, Ronnie plays okay, but I do miss Mick T's much more emotional solos.
* Dead Flowers - a highlight. Very impressed by Ronnie's great lead guitar!
* Wild Horses - not as good as Stripped, or LA '75 or Knebworth '76, but fine.
* Sister Morphine - shaky! Lacking feel, too fast. Ronnie's solo is not great.
* You Gotta Move - has Keith played the main lick correctly since '71?
* Bitch - a little messy but very good. The straight rockers are the ones they play the best.
* CYHMK - Main riff is a little tame, but the choruses sound great with a new feel to them. Overall a good laid-back groove. Great sax solo, but Ronnie could have played better. I miss the singing Les Paul sound that Mick T had, which I think Ronnie has come closer to before (for example in Stockholm 2003, I think he almost nailed the original solo).
* I Got the Blues - Good version, though perhaps a little tame in the guitar department.
* Moonlight Mile - Nice version, I think they captured much of the feel of the original.

The three encore numbers sound good and are a nice variation.
This concert must have been awesome for everybody who were there, but as a live release, I think most songs sound better on other live albums, even modern era releases.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 3, 2017 13:00

silkcut1978_

But no trace of the SF vinyl-set so far :-(

[www.jpc.de] says "Item in stock", in Germany without shipping costs, price: EUR 43.99 .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-03 13:15 by Irix.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: October 3, 2017 14:31

Irix
silkcut1978_

But no trace of the SF vinyl-set so far :-(

[www.jpc.de] says "Item in stock", in Germany without shipping costs, price: EUR 43.99 .

Thank you Irix ! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: October 3, 2017 14:33

bitusa2012
Bashlets
Amazon USA has a vinyl being released October 13th with a DVD and a hybrid sacd for like 41.99. That's the one I purchased. I saw the vinyl this past weekend but I'd didn't appear to have the cd or dvd with it. I already have the bluray/cd combo but the sacd kind of sold me on it

I ordered my LP/DVD set from Amazon uk. I scored a ridiculous price. I believe it to a mistake. Now I get a notice that it has been reduced in price to around 11 pounds and that is been despatched even though on their website they say they receive the LP set on October 13. So now I think for sure I am getting the CD set with the DVD. I am going to try and hold them to my actual order of LP/DVD though.

Wow! Here it costs £75 for the vinyl/DVD-set...

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 3, 2017 14:47

bitusa2012
Bashlets

same here! In my order status it still says DVD+LP but when I click on the link it says "DVD+CD"

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 3, 2017 14:56

hockenheim95
bitusa2012
Bashlets

same here! In my order status it still says DVD+LP but when I click on the link it says "DVD+CD"

Same. But I am going to try to hold them to the order and demand the LP set.

Rod

Date: October 3, 2017 15:01

The vinyl/DVD is £57.67 on Amazon UK now and €43,99 on jpc.de.

I'll go for the latter, if I don't find better offers.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: October 3, 2017 15:45

A really nice release although I agree with LieB about the inconsistency, this is the most uneven Stones show I've ever heard.

Start Me Up 3/5 - The enthusiastic crowd almost manages to kill the boredom of this worn-out opener.
When The Whip 4/5 - I really like the slow-burning groove they weave together here.
All Down The Line 4/5 - Mick needs to make this a permanent warhorse!
Sway 3/5 - Well Mick is great here and Ronnie's solo is ok but the dark tension from 1971 is missing.
Dead Flowers 3/5 - Nothing wrong with the playing but it's one of those songs you get tired of easily.
Wild Horses 4/5 - Great but not perfect.
Sister Morphine 5/5 - Almost sounds dangerous and Ronnie's slide really lifts the song.
You Gotta Move 2/5 - Such a boring song I'm sorry.
Bitch 2/5 - Charlie doesn't lock in the groove here...
Can't You Hear Me Knocking 3/5 - ...and not here either but Karl and Ronnie makes up for it.
I Got The Blues 5/5 - Just amazing how they managed to nail this song now after messing it up live in 1971 and 1999.
Moonlight Mile 3/5 - Really good considering it's not a song meant to be played live.
Brown Sugar 3/5 - It doesn't tear down the house like it should.
Rock Me Baby 4/5 - What a nice surprise, one of Ronnie's best solos ever.
Jumping Jack Flash 4/5 - Now if they would always play it this fast...
I Can't Turn You Loose 4/5 - A really blistering cover even if Mick's voice was a bit tired at this point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-03 16:04 by yeababyyea.

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: October 3, 2017 16:12

yeababyyea
A really nice release although I agree with LieB about the inconsistency, this is the most uneven Stones show I've ever heard.

Start Me Up 3/5 - The enthusiastic crowd almost manages to kill the boredom of this worn-out opener.
When The Whip 4/5 - I really like the slow-burning groove they weave together here.
Sway 3/5 - Well Mick is great here and Ronnie's solo is ok but the dark tension from 1971 is missing.
Dead Flowers 3/5 - Nothing wrong with the playing but it's one of those songs you get tired of easily.
Sister Morphine 5/5 - Almost sounds dangerous and Ronnie's slide really lifts the song.
Can't You Hear Me Knocking 3/5 - ...and not here either but Karl and Ronnie makes up for it.
I Got The Blues 5/5 - Just amazing how they managed to nail this song now after messing it up live in 1971 and 1999.
Moonlight Mile 3/5 - Really good considering it's not a song meant to be played live.
I Can't Turn You Loose 4/5 - A really blistering cover even if Mick's voice was a bit tired at this point.

I think "You Gotta Move" is not a boring song. It's a very good blues with Ronnies excellent slide guitar!

Date: October 3, 2017 16:51

wupperstein
yeababyyea

I think "You Gotta Move" is not a boring song. It's a very good blues with Ronnies excellent slide guitar!

+1 And that Brown Sugar is a 5/5! JJF sounds like the two versions I've heard on tour so far. Great.

Whip, Rock Me Baby, I Can't Turn You Loose and I Got The Blues are amazing thumbs up

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 3, 2017 17:20

the DVD+CD version is just 16,40 Euros right now at amazon.de

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 3, 2017 18:22

DandelionPowderman
wupperstein
yeababyyea

+1 And that Brown Sugar is a 5/5! JJF sounds like the two versions I've heard on tour so far. Great.

Whip, Rock Me Baby, I Can't Turn You Loose and I Got The Blues are amazing thumbs up

+2 I can't take any review that describes "You Gotta Move" as "boring" serious, sorry.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 3, 2017 18:35

slewan

the DVD+CD version is just 16,40 Euros right now at amazon.de

And Blu-ray+CD just US-$ 19.89 on [www.Amazon.com] or EUR 21.99 (+ free shipping) on [www.Dodax.de] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-03 18:40 by Irix.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: October 3, 2017 21:39

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
wupperstein
yeababyyea

+2 I can't take any review that describes "You Gotta Move" as "boring" serious, sorry.

It's all matter of taste. There are too many people on this board, who only take their own opinions seriously.
I personally love that version except the singalong coda,which sucks for me.

Posted by: MoreFastNumbers ()
Date: October 3, 2017 23:13

Awful. Aaawful... Nowadays it really does not make sense to listen to live albums. Or any kind of albums really. It is not sound, it is NOISE. And I am not talking about music here. Feel like a rhinoceros jumping up and down on my head. We really reached the point when tracks are shouting at each other on albums, charts and in any scene. And they call it music... Water spilled out, nuances are lost, quantity won over quality. And I blow my nose...

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 3, 2017 23:20

I would watch the bonus tracks first no interviews just the stones rocking - Keith is on fire here - He is on fire on all down the line and having a ball with his riffing and chords never so him so happy on a song. He is high in the mix and very easy to hear what he is playing on all down the line, rock me baby and when the whip comes down.

For the concert set - I got the blues is awesome as well as bitch. The others were fine but did not stand out for me as the others.

King of funny the interview lead in to CYHMK - Jagger and Keith sort of talk around the song and not mentioning Taylor. The way Jagger defends his position is that he always likes when the stones go into new territories and Keith position is the song was never to go into the 2nd part. If jagger is playing tongue and cheek here is implying that those taylor collaborations on songs like sway,moonlight,winter,TWFKO,etc(songs that do not sound like stones rockers) were the ones he enjoyed where he explored new melody lines with taylor.

RW mentions that he kept the melody for CYHMK as respect and tribute to MT.

Date: October 3, 2017 23:31

<RW mentions that he kept the melody for CYHMK as respect and tribute to MT>

That's nice and well-deserved.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 3, 2017 23:54

My two cents as of today:

Considering this was the first show of the tour, the band were pretty good, and a small theater setting is where they truly shine. Ashame though they won't play more small shows as alot of the nuuance seem to get lost in the gigantic spectacle of a stadium show as well as arenas during this latter part of their career. It's no surprise that the ultimate highlights of the entire Licks tour were those shows that were played in small clubs/theaters.

As for Ronnie - he will never be Mick Taylor, especially on songs which were originally recorded with Taylor, and even if he says he kept the solo to CYHMK as a tribute - it doesn't come close to the real deal imo.
But once you put that notion aside, I think Ronnie does an adequate job here. He has huge shoes to fill, and while he never quite hit's the mark, it's an overall joyful experience to watch them play Sticky Fingers in full.

So far very pleased with what I've seen for the most part, and will post more thoughts as they come.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: October 4, 2017 00:26

Hairball
I think Ronnie does an adequate job here. He has huge shoes to fill, and while he never quite hit's the mark, it's an overall joyful experience to watch them play Sticky Fingers in full..

eye rolling smiley

Ronnie is not only adequate but shines on every song, his solo on for example CYHMK is excellent and he doesn't need to fill anyone's shoes, since he has a lot of identity himself both as a rhythm and solo player.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-04 00:26 by EasterMan.

Date: October 4, 2017 00:55

EasterMan
Hairball
I think Ronnie does an adequate job here. He has huge shoes to fill, and while he never quite hit's the mark, it's an overall joyful experience to watch them play Sticky Fingers in full..

eye rolling smiley

Ronnie is not only adequate but shines on every song, his solo on for example CYHMK is excellent and he doesn't need to fill anyone's shoes, since he has a lot of identity himself both as a rhythm and solo player.

Don't take the bait. I've done it too many times myself. Trust me, there won't come anything good out of it smoking smiley

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 4, 2017 00:55

Picked up the Bluray/CD on the weekend. Great performance but I don't like how they sing the chorus on Wild Horses. Similar to Stripped, I'd rather hear them sing it closer to the original Wiiiiild Hoorseees!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 4, 2017 01:03

DandelionPowderman
EasterMan
Hairball

eye rolling smiley

Don't take the bait. I've done it too many times myself. Trust me, there won't come anything good out of it smoking smiley

Not baiting anyone, only a troll would be out to bait someone, and I can guarantee I am not a troll (as if that even needs to be said).
Just giving my personal impressions, and don't expect everyone to agree with them, just as I don't agree with some of the opinions that others post.
Not everyone has the exact same feeling of the Stones - on what makes them work, or what they like, etc., so no hard feelings. thumbs up

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 4, 2017 04:09

OMG finally and only 5 minutes in I am feeling good!
'Monkey Man' to the Cali hills at sunset?
Sold me there.
The best is the tru fan crowd. Except those few models at the front.
I coulda passed maybe, I coulda!
Oh well I SAW THEM THE NEXT SHOW 13th row!
And this Zippy bunch was tight.
THIS IS A HELLA SHOW.
That's my review, from the sofa, 5 min. in.
I know what I know Bo, and this blue rays as gold as that Cali sky.
thumbs up

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 4, 2017 04:21

Actually, I don't hold a candle to some o those Stones blondes.
I saw some sashay by 13th row headed to the front in SD,
and I thought: God I don't think I've ever seen beautiful-er hair.

I won't review anymore, except,
Ronnie Wood on Sway?
thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 27

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1976
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home