Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: It's official - the MP3 is dead
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 14, 2017 23:43

The MP3 is dead. Long live the MP3. And what does this mean for the 1000s of MP3 songs that have not yet seen the light of day on my Walkman?

[www.npr.org]

Re: OT: It's official - the MP3 is dead
Date: May 15, 2017 01:16

There's no need for mp3 ,that I can think of ,in 2017 since large amounts of digital storage is available for relatively cheap.

You can still play the ones you already have using various methods.

Date: May 15, 2017 01:18

Er, iTunes always had AAC?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 15, 2017 04:09

Never owned one and thankfully never will.

Good riddance.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: May 15, 2017 05:45

I hope not.

My record collection went from 80 kilos (175 lbs) to 1 gram when I switched to mp3, and that is fine with me.

I love mp3.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 15, 2017 07:23

[www.ebay.com]

in progressed and progressed. it peaked and stayed there for awhile. then it devolved into sound files and the like. i guess that's the way it goes...spectacular sounds in modernity I am sure, but not all that very impressed with the digital revolution. I particularly didn't like the earliest CD's...i was sad to see cassettes go...I still have a lot of them; i listened to the offical 12 x 5 cassette release last week, for the umpteenth time. sounds great!!!! More into the tubes, the electro-magnetic phenomenon in nature...the natural compression and distortion inherent in the technology was not a problem for me, it was part of the smooth aural ride, even into into the hardest of rock.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 15, 2017 07:38

Chacho
I hope not.

My record collection went from 80 kilos (175 lbs) to 1 gram when I switched to mp3, and that is fine with me.

I love mp3.

ditto, there's nothing like having your entire music collection in your fingertips, and to be able to listen to anything you want on a whim.

Date: May 15, 2017 16:50

LeonidP
Chacho
I hope not.

I love mp3.

ditto, there's nothing like having your entire music collection in your fingertips, and to be able to listen to anything you want on a whim.

A .flac or a .wav file doesn't weigh any more than an .mp3 file nor do they prevent you from having access to your entire music collection.

They just use more digital storage .... a negligible amount more by today's standards.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 15, 2017 16:57

How long does a needle last for playing FLAC files ?

..and what would folks recommend for keeping them clean and making sure they don't warp ?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 15, 2017 17:10

Winning Ugly VXII
LeonidP
Chacho
I hope not.

I love mp3.

A .flac or a .wav file doesn't weigh any more than an .mp3 file nor do they prevent you from having access to your entire music collection.

They just use more digital storage .... a negligible amount more by today's standards.

We pretty much wrong unless you're carrying around spare drives ... I was implying carrying them on your portable mp3 players or ipods etc. which would NOT hold my entire collection as flac or wave ... not to mention, when most of us saved our collection from years ago, it was even more of a space issue then.

Date: May 15, 2017 17:51

LeonidP
Winning Ugly VXII
LeonidP
Chacho
I hope not.

I love mp3.

We pretty much wrong unless you're carrying around spare drives ... I was implying carrying them on your portable mp3 players or ipods etc. which would NOT hold my entire collection as flac or wave ... not to mention, when most of us saved our collection from years ago, it was even more of a space issue then.

Well,the Fiio X5 portable music player has 2 slots for 128 GB microSD cards which would give you 256 GB of expansion.

That's 256,000 MB while one lossless CD's .wav files total less than 650 MB.

This would give you 393 lossless CD quality albums on a portable music player. Probably more than 393 since many albums are less than 650 MB.

If you have old mp3's ,you can still play them even if no more new mp3's were ever created.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: May 15, 2017 18:20

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Date: May 15, 2017 18:33

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 15, 2017 18:40

Winning Ugly VXII

This would give you 393 lossless CD quality albums on a portable music player. Probably more than 393 since many albums are less than 650 MB.

SanDisk 256 GB microSD-Card

Samsung 256 GB microSD-Card

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 15, 2017 20:03

The book mentioned, How Music Got Free, is excellent.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 15, 2017 21:04

Microscopic Dirty Work
(Japanese import)

Date: May 16, 2017 01:33

Wow. TDK cassette tape. My fave tape to use back in the day. I still have a box full of tapes. I guess I should convert them to digital files just to have the music in another storage medium.

In line with some of the postings here, a question: I have thousands of GB of MP3 files. I use a Sony Walkman 16GB player for general use - plug into the car stereo, speakers at home - but am looking at getting a larger capacity player. What do y'all recommend that will have a larger storage capacity and sound as good as the Walkman?

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 16, 2017 03:26

Some of the hi-def music players can take a heavily compressed file and make it sound quite nice.

Like others I want all of my music at my disposal sometimes, without using a data plan.

I did my own experimenting years ago with mp3 and wma though and found wma sounding way better and have some 15000 songs on my player.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 16, 2017 03:57

I pulled some cassettes out recently - to put on CD. All 3 of my tape decks were worthless. Bought a used one. Half way through the upload it ate my tape.

Cassettes suck!

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 16, 2017 11:29

the MP3 is dead

Nonsense. Amazon, Google Music, iTunes, etc. are all still selling mp3 files... Streaming services are also using mp3 quality files for their streams (except for services such as Tidal or Qobuz who are streaming in CD quality).

Date: May 16, 2017 11:32

GasLightStreet
I pulled some cassettes out recently - to put on CD. All 3 of my tape decks were worthless. Bought a used one. Half way through the upload it ate my tape.

Cassettes suck!

Take it to service. Cassettes are awesome thumbs up

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 16, 2017 11:34

Irix
Winning Ugly VXII

Exactly what I've done. No need for iPod anymore either. I have about 500 albums on my 256GB SanDisk memory card and room for 60GB more. And you can get them for pretty cheap nowadays. Got mine for £50.

Date: May 16, 2017 15:44

Silver Dagger
Irix
Winning Ugly VXII

Exactly what I've done. No need for iPod anymore either. I have about 500 albums on my 256GB SanDisk memory card and room for 60GB more. And you can get them for pretty cheap nowadays. Got mine for £50.

Two x 128GB was actually for the old Fiio X5.

The 3rd generation Fiio X5 has slots for TWO x 256GB microSD expansion cards plus 32GB of internal storage for a grand total max capacity of 544GB.

It also has 2 fairly high-end DAC's. One for each stereo channel.

Date: May 16, 2017 15:47

I have a built-in 32 GB storage card in my Samsung where I can store the wav-file albums I need. That's more than enough for me, with Spotify in addition to that.

BTW, which format is the «extreme quality» on Spotify? Sounds like they went over to wav..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-16 15:48 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 16, 2017 16:31

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Cassettes suck!

Take it to service. Cassettes are awesome thumbs up

I pitched them. The motors were wore out. They were old. If I'm going to spend money on something that is essentially worthless it's gotta be a brand new one.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 16, 2017 16:38

Note: I am NOT all that tech savvy when it comes to computer editing, etc. But I know that many of you are. Soooo...

Could someone recommend a free app or shareware or even a website that is safe & trustworthy that I can install on my home pc which will allow me to break up large mp3 files into smaller files? Or tell me something that might have come with my pc (Toshiba laptop apx 3-4 yrs old running some form of windows) that may be already installed that I can look for.

Over the years I've downloaded many "full album" or "full show" audio files and, while it's fun to listen to a complete album or show, I would also like to be able to listen to individual songs as well.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: May 16, 2017 16:39

DandelionPowderman
I have a built-in 32 GB storage card in my Samsung where I can store the wav-file albums I need. That's more than enough for me, with Spotify in addition to that.

BTW, which format is the «extreme quality» on Spotify? Sounds like they went over to wav..

From Spotify:

"Spotify uses 3 quality ratings for streaming, all in the Ogg Vorbis format.

~96 kbps
Normal quality on mobile.

~160 kbps
Desktop and web player standard quality.
High quality on mobile.

~320 kbps (only available to Premium subscribers)
Desktop high quality.
Extreme quality on mobile."

Ogg Vorbis an open-source encoding program. But Spotify has also been cagey in the past about always using the simplest codec available for each platform they deliver to.

Date: May 16, 2017 16:44

Here's another take on the MP3.

[marco.org]

Date: May 16, 2017 16:45

LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman

From Spotify:

"Spotify uses 3 quality ratings for streaming, all in the Ogg Vorbis format.

~96 kbps
Normal quality on mobile.

~160 kbps
Desktop and web player standard quality.
High quality on mobile.

~320 kbps (only available to Premium subscribers)
Desktop high quality.
Extreme quality on mobile."

Ogg Vorbis an open-source encoding program. But Spotify has also been cagey in the past about always using the simplest codec available for each platform they deliver to.

Yep, they did have those Ogg Vorbis-options until now.

Lossless quality is coming.

They might do this change at different stages in different countries, though. Since the company is scandinavian, I reckon they will start here.

[www.macrumors.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-16 16:48 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 16, 2017 16:50

mr_dja
Note: I am NOT all that tech savvy when it comes to computer editing, etc. But I know that many of you are. Soooo...

Could someone recommend a free app or shareware or even a website that is safe & trustworthy that I can install on my home pc which will allow me to break up large mp3 files into smaller files? Or tell me something that might have come with my pc (Toshiba laptop apx 3-4 yrs old running some form of windows) that may be already installed that I can look for.

Over the years I've downloaded many "full album" or "full show" audio files and, while it's fun to listen to a complete album or show, I would also like to be able to listen to individual songs as well.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Audacity is pretty good. However, you'll need an mp3-encoder, called LAME, in addition to that to export the mp3-files. It's all free, go get it!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1873
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home