Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The 2017 Stage discussion
Date: May 11, 2017 13:10

So what do we know:

- They will get a full new production

- There is a pit. I know Metallica did something very simular before. It think it should be about the same. Pictures are here: [www.google.nl]:

- In Arnhem they sell tickets from behind the stage. Is this the case for other stadiums?

Re: The 2017 Stage discussion
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 11, 2017 13:33

Audience seats behind the stage would perhaps indicate a very stripped down set up .

You cant very well have seating behind the stage if there is any significant stage architecture or backdrop !

Date: May 11, 2017 14:04

Spud
Audience seats behind the stage would perhaps indicate a very stripped down set up .

You cant very well have seating behind the stage if there is any significant stage architecture or backdrop !

Agreed. Pictures indicate there are screens left and right. But are there any other venues where tickets for behind the stage are sold?

Date: May 11, 2017 14:37

PaintMonkeyManBlack
So what do we know:

- There is a pit. I know Metallica did something very simular before. It think it should be about the same. Pictures are here: [www.google.nl]:

I doubt we can expect such a small pit but....waouh!!! It would also be great for people in the second pit who could get very close to the stage if they start queing early.

Date: May 11, 2017 14:43

Jumpinjackflash59
PaintMonkeyManBlack
So what do we know:

I doubt we can expect such a small pit but....waouh!!! It would also be great for people in the second pit who could get very close to the stage if they start queing early.

Ahh,

Those were the the days !...everything GA .

The folks who got the best "seats" were the ones prepared to sit for hours outside and deserved them...not the folks wit the most money winking smiley

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: May 11, 2017 15:31

Spud
Ahh,

The folks who got the best "seats" were the ones prepared to sit for hours outside and deserved them...not the folks wit the most money winking smiley

What if the people with that money had to sit for hours to get that money? winking smiley

Seriously, i think we will get something like the tongue stage, adapted to the larger stadiums. Like Metallica's stage.

I hope the stage and the ramps won't be as with some of the 2014 gigs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-11 15:34 by shattered1978.

Posted by: Aron ()
Date: May 11, 2017 16:40

Don't you think, they gonna use this setup?

Date: May 11, 2017 17:01

Spud
Jumpinjackflash59
PaintMonkeyManBlack
So what do we know:

Ahh,

Don't get me wrong, i'm also nostalgic about the good ol' time and have been on line for 12 hours dozens and dozens of time in the past. And even if i am now wealthy enough to pay for that, i would not mind to do it again because obviously it was much more fair. But we don't write the rules...

Date: May 11, 2017 18:06

You're quite right.

But it was fun . smiling smiley

Date: May 12, 2017 10:24

In Munchen the map also shows other behind the stage places (not for sale yet)

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: May 12, 2017 14:04

To me it seems like the stage will be pretty similar with the one we've been used to lately, the only main difference being that the catwalk is exchanged with a pit. I guess the scenery and frames around the screens will change a bit, but it will be more or less the same judged by the few available animations.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 14, 2017 19:41

Aron
Don't you think, they gonna use this setup?

Indeed, very cool stage but possibly a bit small for a stadium !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 14, 2017 19:54

U2 used the same years ago - Live at Slane Castle. In 2001 or so.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: May 14, 2017 20:23

Spud

What about the ABB tour stage?

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: May 14, 2017 20:30

Olly
Spud

What about the ABB tour stage?

Doubt very much that this stage will be as elaborate as the Bigger Bang stage.

Nate

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 14, 2017 20:39

The ABB stage had a lot of technology in it and took a long time to build snd dismantle, adding hugely to their logistics costs. Their outdoor stage, since 2014, has been relatively simple. Unfortunately their long time stage designer, Mark Fisher (who also did all U2's stages and perhaps others' too) died a few years ago.

So I think this stage will be fairly functional and primitive. On the main touring thread I said I was very surprised by the apparent narrowness of the new setup. Mick has always loved running up and down the wings to work the crowd. Imho, he's the very best in the business at that.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: May 14, 2017 23:40

Almost every stadium act is using the same basic stadium size pop up stage. I doubt there will be anything more custom than some of the jumbotron and light settings.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 15, 2017 00:38

To me, it looks like a ramp goes around the "pit." While not shaped like a tongue, the ramp gives the band, especially Mick room to go out a ways into the crowd.
I'm hoping the sides of the stage go fairly far out too, hard to tell at this point.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: May 15, 2017 01:21

mtaylor
U2 used the same years ago - Live at Slane Castle. In 2001 or so.

How is that the same?

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: May 15, 2017 11:36

grzegorz67
The ABB stage had a lot of technology in it and took a long time to build snd dismantle, adding hugely to their logistics costs. Their outdoor stage, since 2014, has been relatively simple. Unfortunately their long time stage designer, Mark Fisher (who also did all U2's stages and perhaps others' too) died a few years ago.

So I think this stage will be fairly functional and primitive.

I doubt the sad passing of Mark Fisher and the simpler design have much to do with eachother. Fisher's studio is still going strong and they also did the 14/15/16 stage: [www.stufish.com]

STUFISH’S stage design for the Stone’s 14 ON FIRE tour includes an elaborate multi-layered fascia to conceal the standard festival stage and roof.

The essence to the simplicity is in that quote. As you say previous stages were magnificent but unique in structure and very expensive. Plus the video technology nowadays allows for use of huge lightweight screens. In the 2013/2014 run, the Fisher fascia and screens were frequently attached to 'local steel'. Not only is the stage itself less heavy and propped, also often not all parts actually need to be shipped.

The image of The Rolling Stones as the biggest touring circus in the world is therefore no longer valid. In the days of VL en BtB, local press had always these reports of 150 trucks rolling into town. Now economics rules: times of the big world tours have ended and the Stones found out that high prices (even higher) can be charged without having to bring in huge fantasy structures.

Date: May 15, 2017 12:13

angee
To me, it looks like a ramp goes around the "pit." While not shaped like a tongue, the ramp gives the band, especially Mick room to go out a ways into the crowd.
I'm hoping the sides of the stage go fairly far out too, hard to tell at this point.

I don't think there will be big sides.

Why?

The Hamburg and Austria (??) renders were extremely accurate in retrospective.

- The pit with we did not know about then
- Seats in front
- Silver pit for hamburg (you have to look closely)

So i think these renders are very much accurate and there are no big sides

Date: May 15, 2017 12:18

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-15 12:19 by PaintMonkeyManBlack.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: May 15, 2017 13:53

Hopes I have for future shows:

1) Some sort of b stage.
2) Do something different with the screen. 3 huge screens all showing the same thing is a little boring. Keep the two giant screens either side of the stage for those right at the back of the crowd, but I'd like to see the multi-screen / split-screen from the Licks Tour, or something similar, make a return. This makes things more interesting, as you can see several different members of the Stones / backing band at the same time.

Posted by: GJB ()
Date: May 15, 2017 18:48

Wild speculation here but... if you see the Paris thread there is talk of a third gig at the U Arena. Someone quotes an e-mail saying this will be on the 16th December, but that doesn't make sense since its 2 months after the tour finishes?

So what if it was a misprint and they actually meant 16th OCTOBER not 16th December. This means they play Arnhem 15th and then Paris 16th..

I know this is unlikely given its two consecutive nights (I am sure someone will know when the last time that ever happened????) but it would explain the stage set-up being different for Arnhem than the rest of the tour (e.g. selling tickets for audience to sit BEHIND the stage)... maybe the 'proper' stage will be set up in Paris ready for the gig the night after and Arnhem will get a 'make-shift' stage just for the one-off gig....

As I say wild speculation, but I was bored...

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 15, 2017 19:03

GJB
Wild speculation here but... if you see the Paris thread there is talk of a third gig at the U Arena. Someone quotes an e-mail saying this will be on the 16th December, but that doesn't make sense since its 2 months after the tour finishes?

So what if it was a misprint and they actually meant 16th OCTOBER not 16th December. This means they play Arnhem 15th and then Paris 16th..

I know this is unlikely given its two consecutive nights (I am sure someone will know when the last time that ever happened????) but it would explain the stage set-up being different for Arnhem than the rest of the tour (e.g. selling tickets for audience to sit BEHIND the stage)... maybe the 'proper' stage will be set up in Paris ready for the gig the night after and Arnhem will get a 'make-shift' stage just for the one-off gig....

As I say wild speculation, but I was bored...

Absolutely no chance will they play 2 full shows on consecutive nights. They haven't done so since 2003 when Mick had to postpone one of a Twickenham double header due to Laryngitis. He was told at the time by his Doctors not to do full gigs on consecutive nights any more, at the tender age of 60. As far as I know he's kept to it.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: May 15, 2017 21:32

You know what would be cool? Have the concert start off during the day, while the sun is up, and use the Urban Jungle stage. Then, as the concert goes on into the night, the roadies and techs modify it so it eventually transforms into the Steel Wheels stage, but this time with the added benefit of a huge Jumbotron screen in the middle.

And to top it off, the b-stage out in the middle is the hydrolic Loutus flower from 1975.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-15 21:36 by stevecardi.

Posted by: TE ()
Date: May 15, 2017 21:57

Last two in a row must have been Rotterdam/Utrech?
Not counting in 12-12-12 and Newark.
Might be wrong.

TE
Oslo

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 15, 2017 22:03

Right, not counting NY Dec. 12 and Newark Dec. 13, 2012.

Yeah, the 12-12-12 show was the benefit where they did only two songs.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: May 15, 2017 22:12

stevecardi
You know what would be cool? Have the concert start off during the day, while the sun is up, and use the Urban Jungle stage. Then, as the concert goes on into the night, the roadies and techs modify it so it eventually transforms into the Steel Wheels stage, but this time with the added benefit of a huge Jumbotron screen in the middle.

And to top it off, the b-stage out in the middle is the hydrolic Loutus flower from 1975.

How about they start the show with the purple carpet from 1969.....then two songs in the roadies roll up the purple carpet to reveal the dragon design from 1972. After two more songs they walk through a tunnel built underneath the No filter out to arrive at the b stage which is the lotus from 1975. The lotus opens and they play a couple of songs before jumping onto the cherry picker from 1981 and getting hurled back to the main stage which now has the tongue and lips scrim from 1978. After two more songs the tongue owns up to reveal the four screens from the licks tour. meanwhile the roadies have been busy constructing the fire breathing snake from voodoo lounge and it starts spewing fire as the boys crank up "play with Fire'"

The

Date: May 15, 2017 22:48

I do miss the b stage.. great memories...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1016
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home