Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122Next
Current Page: 19 of 22
Re: OT: Roger Waters stuff
Posted by: Dan ()
Date: July 9, 2022 22:59

Taylor1
Dan
Taylor1

If you actually do live in NYC and are scared to ride the subways maybe you should move to the suburbs
Only an ignoramus like you would state an opinion about something for which he knows noting about from direct knowledge. Listen tough guy, next time you visit NYC take a ride on the subway at night and let me know how it goes.

I've ridden the subway at night in NYC. So what?[/quote]Really, tough guy. When Giuliani or Blomberg were mayors and the city was relatively safe? Of course you could ride it today and avoid being a victim, but the odds are much greater than they were 10 years ago. Even a moron can understand that.[/quote]

This was in May. Still seemed a lot cleaner and safer than LA.

I am not scared of my own shadow either, though your choice of language suggest a great deal of fear on your part in addition to an obvious lack of intelligence.

Some of us choose not to live that way.

Date: July 9, 2022 23:04

coffeepotman
Taylor1
Yeah, he rides the subways in New York.I live in New York .Right now there is an epidemic of violent crime on the subways.People are scared to go on them.If he’s riding the subways it’s with a body guard

Oh please, give it a break.....Yes there is crime on the subways, but there is crime everywhere. Millions of people ride the subways everyday....with no problems except delays.

If you actually do live in NYC and are scared to ride the subways maybe you should move to the suburbs

Crazy how he sounds scared to death to do something tens of thousands or more do every single day. Imagine having to live your entire life in such fear. I think I really would rather be dead.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 10, 2022 01:33

be safer on a skate-board
with bullet proof windows ......

ROCKMAN

roger waters mentions stones-concert 1963 to be trigger for founding a band with syd barrett
Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: July 9, 2022 18:42

Hi,

roger waters mentions that he and syd barrett were at a stones-concert
in gaumont theatre, kilburn, 1963 (nzentgraf: nov 19th),
and promised to create a band ...
song: wish you were here, live pitssburgh 2022 july 6th),
watch the text on the screen...

[www.youtube.com]

Re: roger waters mentions stones-concert 1963 to be trigger for founding a band with syd barrett
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 9, 2022 19:10

pretty cool

thanks

Re: roger waters mentions stones-concert 1963 to be trigger for founding a band with syd barrett
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 9, 2022 21:09

It's funny when it doesn't even surprise you anymore

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 9, 2022 21:47

well you heard it here first folks

brian jones founded pink floyd

but i bet keith says it was ian stewartgrinning smiley

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: July 9, 2022 21:51

Cool...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 9, 2022 22:12

Cool indeed

Date: July 9, 2022 22:21

ProfessorWolf
well you heard it here first folks

brian jones founded pink floyd

but i bet keith says it was ian stewartgrinning smiley

You basically nailed it down but you know they still gonna debate

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: July 11, 2022 16:30

Inspired by this thread, I finally got around to checking out "Is This the Life We Really Want"? Well, the title track anyways. What a disappointment. Hard to imagine anyone listening to it twice. Good thing for concertgoers he's got a stellar back catalogue to fall back on.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 11, 2022 18:18

roryfaninva
Inspired by this thread, I finally got around to checking out "Is This the Life We Really Want"? Well, the title track anyways. What a disappointment. Hard to imagine anyone listening to it twice. Good thing for concertgoers he's got a stellar back catalogue to fall back on.

I like that record though not as much as "Amused to Death". The material from it was excellent on the last tour.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 11, 2022 21:31

crholmstrom
roryfaninva

I like that record though not as much as "Amused to Death". The material from it was excellent on the last tour.

Yes it's a great album, though I could see how some would dismiss it based on one song and expecting to hear classic c. '70's Pink Floyd from 50 years ago.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: July 12, 2022 00:11

I still have difficulties on Roger's approach over his music production.

I mean he could record way better albums than he does if a real musical director other than a "yes" man was in.

Animals and The Wall without the others would have been disasters.

The Final Cut has been the fist one.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-12 00:12 by ds1984.

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: July 16, 2022 04:33

For those of you that follow Roger Waters and his current tour here's a recent article/interview with him from the Globe & Mail.

[www.theglobeandmail.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-16 04:36 by northof49.

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: July 16, 2022 07:10

Thanks, nice read! One answer made me smile:

Q: Walking out of the venue, I heard a woman say the concert wasn’t as upbeat as she wanted it to be.

A: Well, thank you madam. I don’t know who you are, but I thank you for noticing that it wasn’t just a sing-along party of old hits. I don’t go to those kinds of shows, because I don’t like them. The old bands go out and trundle through their hits year after year after year.

Implying heavily the Stones et algrinning smiley

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: July 17, 2022 05:24

Here’s what a I wrote about the about the Boston show a few days ago:
Couple thoughts on RW last night. Don’t want to be negative - But a few things.
1. The 1st qtr. of the show I thought was not great. Starting w. a dull version of C Numb. Like - how do U screw that one up? Its all very dark and ominous. Much like much of the show.
2. Then that gets quickly followed by a few unfamiliar, slower songs - much with a heavy political view and requiring a lot of reading. And - I am on his siDE on most issues but after a bit it’s like - OK, I get it: greed is bad. War is bad. MurDEr is bad. Interestingly - not much on Trump this time.
3. The Animals section of Us&Them to start the 2nd 1/2 was such a jaw dropping surprise. Here - while the screens are very cool, there really wasn’t - to me anyway - an OMG moment like that.
That said, I had to leave B4 the last two songs as I now have an hour drive from Boston
BUT I did see perhaps the musical highpoint which was Any color You Like - which rocks.
And finally - I did not think the sound was as good as last time, but may be as I was in the balcony.
All that said - there are some VERY cool moments.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-17 05:27 by DEmerson.

Date: July 17, 2022 06:10

From JamBase:

Roger Waters Brings This Is Not A Drill Tour To Boston

THIS IS NOT A DRILL
By Bryan Lasky

There are a few things you’re sure to get at a Roger Waters show: amazing production, a highly talented band behind him, and plenty of politics. The This Is Not A Drill Tour, which landed at Boston’s TD Garden on Tuesday night, has plenty of all of that, but it also contains what might be the co-founding member of Pink Floyd’s most autobiographical show to date.

The production was second to none. Being in the round – something more bands should do – is a brilliant move. There wasn’t a bad seat in the house as Waters and the band moved around the T-shaped stage. The video screens mirrored the stage and projected everything from typed messages to the crowd, to Pink Floyd imagery through the years, to animations that went with the music. The audio production was also surround sound, as Waters has done in the past, and the light show, while simple, was gorgeous.

It’s amazing to watch what Waters and his team come up with every tour to make it different from the last one. Waters (and Pink Floyd in general) has always been known to be on the cutting edge of live shows with jaw-dropping set pieces and visuals and he’s done it again. One of the most impressive parts did not come until near the end of the show when the Dark Side of the Moon was recreated with lasers and the video wall. It’s one of the most impressive feats of the whole show.

The band is impressive and almost exactly who was on the Us And Them Tour from a few years ago. Newcomers to his nine-person band include organist Robert Walter, who got to shine plenty of times through the night. Also joining the band are singers Amanda Belair and Shanay Johnson, who took over the roles previously held by Lucius’ Jess Wolfe and Holly Laessig and did a terrific job harmonizing with Waters and taking a few solos. Watching them effortlessly play some of the most iconic songs in rock history was pure joy. Seeing Waters’ reaction to it through the set was also wonderful. You could see the genuine love he has for this band during both sets.

Never one to bite his tongue when it comes to politics, this show is no different for Roger. The show started off right away with a message over the PA and on the screens saying if you like my music but not the politics to go, “F*ck off to the bar.” From there came among the most haunting version of “Comfortably Numb” that’s ever been played as the screens showed a post-apocalyptic landscape that truly set the mood for the night and came full circle with the explosions happening during “Two Suns in Sunset.” During the medley of “The Happiest Days of Our Lives” and parts 2 and 3 of “Another Brick in the Wall,” flashes of statements asking who should you trust and who is good and who is evil and who controls those ideas scrolled across the screen.

Greed came up back-to-back with “Is This The Life We Really Want?” and “Money” depicting luxuries and a pig dancing around loads of money and other excesses. Waters went after fascists and wannabe strongmen during the beginning of the second half of the show with a succession of “In The Flesh” and “Run Like Hell” coming out in full The Wall regalia, with a fake shooting a gun into the crowd, the giant pig floating above everyone with new slogans on it, and the screens depicting the likes of Putin and the previous President of the United States before showing clips that were leaked by Chelsea Manning and Julian Assange. A plea for human, trans, reproduction, Palestinian, and other rights scrolled over the screens during “Déjà Vu.”

“Sheep” to close set one sees Waters making sheep noises as the song began with visuals of pigs, dogs, and sheep projected across the screen as well as medicine and the COVID-19 virus. As the jam went on the visuals went straight to all of the recent Supreme Court decisions that have taken away so many rights for so many people. “Us And Them” started visually with the slow walking workers, as it has since the 1970s, but then turned to the recent protests of the past few years. It’s good to see that Waters still believes in the power of music and how it can change the world.

Waters has never shied away from speaking about Syd Barrett during his shows. Waters went even deeper into their relationship during the first set, thoroughly digging into their friendship and brotherhood and depicting how Waters’ life was affected from losing his best friend. “Have A Cigar” showed the last original member of Pink Floyd on the screens, slowly showing more and more of just Syd and Waters as the latter and the band went into “Wish You Were Here,” which included Waters’ typed words of how losing Barrett affected him.

Those words changed to how he almost lost himself as “Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts VI-IX)” started up and how he was scared he was going through what Barrett went through. The show felt like Waters coming to peace with a lot of the memories of his days in Pink Floyd and with Barrett, which he’s seemingly not done to this extent before.

The crowd in Boston appeared to genuinely move Waters. He acknowledged, a few times, how delighted he was to be playing for this specific crowd with all the love and adoration and attention everyone gave during the show.

“Outside The Wall” closed the show with the band marching around the stage before disappearing through the crowd and into the night having successfully pulled off another brilliant performance.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: July 18, 2022 00:20

Looking forward to this. Madison Square Garden and Chase Center.

OT: Roger Waters stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 7, 2022 19:28

Date: August 7, 2022 20:38

"If you're one of the I disagree with Rogers politics people you might as well f*ck off to the bar" great job telling everyone to shove it including the people who would suggest well within reason that you and your whole deal have become f*cking pretentious

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: August 8, 2022 00:19

Nikkei
"If you're one of the I disagree with Rogers politics people you might as well f*ck off to the bar" great job telling everyone to shove it including the people who would suggest well within reason that you and your whole deal have become f*cking pretentious

I totally understand what you’re saying. My biggest issue is the timing. He should have explained that (although who doesn’t know his politics?) as a disclaimer before they could buy a ticket. Not after they bought the ticket and are already there.

That said, none that of it bothers me and won’t impact my enjoyment August 27.

Date: August 8, 2022 00:59

NashvilleBlues
Nikkei

I totally understand what you’re saying. My biggest issue is the timing. He should have explained that (although who doesn’t know his politics?) as a disclaimer before they could buy a ticket. Not after they bought the ticket and are already there.

A heads up to all those lifelong Pink Floyd fans who never actually listened to his music that the show might be political. smiling smiley smiling smiley

Date: August 8, 2022 03:57

Dan
NashvilleBlues
Nikkei

A heads up to all those lifelong Pink Floyd fans who never actually listened to his music that the show might be political. smiling smiley smiling smiley

We’re on the same page. I have no problem with his politics or him using his platform. As a huge Pink Floyd fan, I’ve always been aware of that inseparable aspect of their music.

My point was, what is his point of broadcasting that message if the fans already know the political aspect of Pink Floyd’s message? And, if he’s sincere in warning people, why wouldn’t he warn them before they bought a ticket? And, as I said, who doesn’t know his politics?

Date: August 8, 2022 04:19

NashvilleBlues
My point was, what is his point of broadcasting that message if the fans already know the political aspect of Pink Floyd’s message? And, if he’s sincere in warning people, why wouldn’t he warn them before they bought a ticket? And, as I said, who doesn’t know his politics?

It's done semi-tongue-in-cheek.

Whatever the case, here's a review of the Boston show from a Jewish publication called Forward.
I'm not Jewish, but the reviewer Jim Sullivan is, and lets it be known why some Jewish fans are offended by Roger.
However, he's able to put his differences aside and enjoy the show regardless of any differences of opinion.

Is it possible to separate Roger Waters’ music from his politics?
The 78-year-old made his name with Pink Floyd, but his vocal opposition to Israel has complicated his relationship with his Jewish fans

"So, can you fully enjoy Waters’ work if you do not agree with his positions? For me, the answer was yes.
In the concert, there was a high percentage of content — musical, visual and political — where we were all on the same page.
As were, I’m guessing, the nearly 20,000 in attendance".

Full review: Boston: This Is Not a Drill

Similarly, the CNN interviewer Michael Smerconish and Roger clearly have differing opinions on a variety of topics, yet both are able to put their differences aside and have mutual respect and admiration for each other.
They thank each other at the end of the interview, shake hands, and laugh, and Smerconish even said he bought a tickets for one of the upcoming shows. He also attended the previous tour, so he's obviously a fan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-08 04:20 by Hairball.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: August 8, 2022 15:24

Date: August 8, 2022 18:06

Milan

Can't wait to see him perform Sheep. Saw Dogs and Pigs last tour. I have a soft spot in my heart for Animals. It was the soundtrack of my college upperclassman years. Went well with my sociology classes.

Many of you probably already know, but the 8 track version of Animals is a continuous loop with Pigs on the Wing 2 merging with Pigs on the Wing 1 with a (Snowy White) guitar solo that isn't on any other version. Very Pink Floyd-ish. Any other band do this?

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-08 18:09 by NashvilleBlues.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 8, 2022 18:19

These are so similar

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 8, 2022 18:49

NashvilleBlues
Dan
NashvilleBlues
Nikkei

We’re on the same page. I have no problem with his politics or him using his platform. As a huge Pink Floyd fan, I’ve always been aware of that inseparable aspect of their music.

If you're surprised at this point at showtime you probably haven't been paying attention.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 8, 2022 19:41

Can't separate it.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122Next
Current Page: 19 of 22

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1603
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home