Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 22
Re: OT: Roger Waters 2017/2018
Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: July 11, 2018 06:03

Some things never change....

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 11, 2018 07:18

SomeGuy
Some things never change....
Lol I mean seriously, WTF.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 11, 2018 08:50

Lol...what, you don't like caveman music?
The caveman story was in response to SomeGuy's comment: "Whether music was initially also a platform for critical opinion against society / politics.. I doubt that, sorry".
I kind of went off on a caveman tangent (lol) saying who really knows what the cavemen's intentions were with their music. Considering the oldest musical instrument ever found is 40.0000 years old from the prehistoric paleolithic era, one can only wonder what kind of jam sessions they had back then and for what purposes. I'm thinking that SomeGuy's comment above that "some things never change" was in response to the possible purposes that music had in the caveman's lives I mentioned - worship, war, love, fun, etc. - some of the same purposes that it has today.

Edit: Just remembered this funky hit from 1972 which actually made it to #6 on billboard hot 100:

Jimmy Castor Bunch - Troglodyte (Cave Man)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-11 09:15 by Hairball.

Date: July 11, 2018 09:47

But enough with the speculating about Caveman music, and back on topic...

Roger Waters at Birmingham Arena was 'an overwhelming audio-visual assault' - review
By Sean Hewitt, 10 JUL 2018

Roger Waters at Birmingham

At times, during the overwhelming audio-visual assault of this epic arena show, I wondered just where Roger Waters gets the energy. Not so much for putting on this lavish spectacle - with its lasers, flying pigs and hovering power stations - but for the searing rage at the state of the world that so obviously sustains it.

Roger's rage is nothing new. It produced the classic run of Pink Floyd albums - through The Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall - he masterminded during the 70s. It then fuelled one of the most ill-tempered splits in rock history.

He's 74 now and if at times he misses the melodic cushion his former mates provided you'd never notice. He still plays the old songs. After all, in nearly every case, he wrote 'em.

He proved that point from the start when, we heard the tape-montage crescendo of Speak To Me and there the band was, with a note-perfect Breathe to kick off a virtual run-through of Dark Side's first half, with the insistent pulse, roar and twin bass frenzy of One Of These Days (a brilliant replacement for the On The Run travel sequence) the only intrusion.

With their platinum blonde wigs and proto-glam make-up, backing singers Jess Wolfe and Holly Laessig, of indie band Lucius, already stood out from the black-clad musos around them, but their soaring gospel diva vocals on The Great Gig In The Sky brought an early ovation.

Another oldie, Waters' peerless Welcome To The Machine, heralded a handful of selections from last year's album Is This The Life We Really Want? Deja Vu is (ironically, given the title) too over-familiar, both musically and lyrically, to leave much of an impression but The Last Refugee, beautifully performed in sync with an emotive video backdrop, was stunning, a soaring spine-tingler which brought me close to tears. After that, the vituperative Picture That blasted away the cobwebs before he crippled us again with a lovely Wish You Were Here.

The first half ended with a party of Birmingham schoolchildren coming on stage to sing the "We don't need no education" chorus of Another Brick In The Wall, Part 2. As this was a Roger Waters concert, they arrived wearing orange mini-Guantanamo Bay prisoner outfits with the heads covered by hoods. Welcome to the show, kids!

Part Two opened with helicopter noises, dogs barking - and an enormous Battersea Power Station cutting the hall in two down the centre aisle, bringing the sleeve of Floyd's Animal album to the front of our minds. The lengthy Dogs was truly marvellous, its dissection of the middle-management mindset as acute - and relevant - as ever.

Pigs (Three Different Ones) was another thing entirely. Now completely reshaped as an all-out attack on Donald Trump, it was accompanied by projected imagery showing Trump in a nappy, in garish make-up and with what can only be described as a micropenis. If you think that sounds disturbing, wait until you see it projected on the side of a giant replica of Battersea Power Station with an enormous inflatable pig flying over your head.

More importantly, however, this was the most powerful musically Waters has ever been. Propelled by the muscular drumming of Beck sideman Joey Waronker, guitarists Dave Kilminster and Jonathan Wilson perfectly replicated David Gilmour's biting tone (as well as Gilmour's vocal parts). On keyboards, Jon Carin, who has played with the Waters-less Floyd and proved he could also play a mean lap steel guitar, and Bo Koster made sure the layered Floyd sound was perfectly reproduced.

Far more than the heavily programmed tour for The Wall, the wider variety of this show gave the music far more room to breathe and frequently left the original Floyd versions behind in the dust. My only regret was there was so little from either Waters' earlier solo material or from his Floyd swansong The Final Cut, a record which sounds more impressive and prescient with each passing year.

The inevitable Money - now with Donald Trump's incredulous "I won!" looped in with the cash registers - was followed by a mesmerising Us And Them.

The closing Brain Damage and Eclipse brought the crowd to their feet, hollering the words as laser beams arced into a multi-coloured prism in front of the stage.

It was all rather marvellous. One encore later, an elegiac Comfortably Numb, and he was gone.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: July 11, 2018 12:09

Why doesn`t he just reunite Pink Floyd when he`s so dependent on those songs?

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: July 11, 2018 14:06

noughties

Dave Gilmour is not interested.

Date: July 11, 2018 14:52

ROLLINGSTONE
noughties

And Richard Wright is dead so its not really Pink Floyd. They're better off touring separately. At a time it would have been really cool. Now, especially without Wright, I think it would be more gimmicky than anything. What would be incredible is if Waters and Gilmour toured together and that to me would be as good and satisfying as Floyd reuniting but clearly besides a few one offs David doesn't have time for that either. And I respect it. Him and Robert Plant get it. But god damn, Waters has never had a more perfect musical partner than Gilmour and to see that live would reduce me to tears.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: July 11, 2018 14:56

RollingFreak
ROLLINGSTONE
noughties

And Richard Wright is dead so its not really Pink Floyd. They're better off touring separately. At a time it would have been really cool. Now, especially without Wright, I think it would be more gimmicky than anything. What would be incredible is if Waters and Gilmour toured together and that to me would be as good and satisfying as Floyd reuniting but clearly besides a few one offs David doesn't have time for that either. And I respect it. Him and Robert Plant get it. But god damn, Waters has never had a more perfect musical partner than Gilmour and to see that live would reduce me to tears.

Yes indeed. I saw waters this year and gilmour in 2016. There is always the other part missing...

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 11, 2018 15:04

The Live 8 reunion in 2005 will have to suffice. That was truly amazing...makes my eyes well up every time I watch it, especially the crowd reactions.

Date: July 11, 2018 20:19

deardoctor
RollingFreak
ROLLINGSTONE
noughties

Yes indeed. I saw waters this year and gilmour in 2016. There is always the other part missing...

Indeed one is less without the other, just as most other bands/artists - Jagger/Richards, Plant/Page, the Davies Bros, the Gallagher Bros, Lennon/McCartney/Harrison/Ringo (though Georges first solo album ranks with the best), et al. And to RollingFreaks point that Davide Gilmour "gets it", the same could be said for Roger Waters as he's never wanted to reunite "Pink Floyd" for anything other than Live 8 which was a one off for charity. In fact it was Waters who quit the band and demanded the name "Pink Floyd" be put to rest which didn't quite happen the way he wanted for better or worse (depending on who you ask). Post-Live 8, it was Gilmour who approached Waters to join him on stage at a small charity event a few years ago, but not as Pink Floyd. As a return favor, Roger asked Gilmour to join him in London to grace Comfortably Numb at one of Roger's solo Wall shows. While Gilmour flubbed some of his lines and his solo left a bit to be desired, by most accounts it was a sight to behold. That's as close to a reunion that will probably ever be from this point on, and at least it seems they're on relatively good terms considering the venom that went on between them for many years. Recently Nick Mason is playing small pub shows with a side band playing old and relatively obscure early Pink Floyd songs, and will be expanding the tour to larger venues selling tickets at high prices. While many seem to enjoy it, seems like a glorified tribute band if you ask me - but he was the drummer so maybe "tribute" is a bit strong.

noughties

Not gonna happen, and without Rick it's impossible anyways.
As to why he's so "dependent" on Pink Floyd songs, from the review above:

"Roger's rage is nothing new. It produced the classic run of Pink Floyd albums - through The Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall - he masterminded during the 70s".

"He's 74 now and if at times he misses the melodic cushion his former mates provided you'd never notice. He still plays the old songs. After all, in nearly every case, he wrote 'em".

And finally this praiseworthy opinion:

"Far more than the heavily programmed tour for The Wall, the wider variety of this show gave the music far more room to breathe and frequently left the original Floyd versions behind in the dust".

Evidently many feel the same based on various reviews out there. But having seen the original band twice back in the day, and having seen this current tour several times, and knowing the extreme perfectionist versions on the studio albums, can't say I agree with that opinion in any - in fact I think it's nonsense. That being said, the current band he has is no doubt amazing. For all the times I've seen Roger solo tours throughout the years, this is the best band he's ever had imo.

PS - And like Neil Young, at least Roger plays alot of new material during his shows unlike other bands who completely live in the past and are simply resting on their laurels.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-11 20:32 by Hairball.

Date: July 11, 2018 20:44

Hairball
deardoctor
RollingFreak
ROLLINGSTONE
noughties

Indeed one is less without the other, just as most other bands/artists - Jagger/Richards, Plant/Page, the Davies Bros, the Gallagher Bros, Lennon/McCartney/Harrison/Ringo (though Georges first solo album ranks with the best), et al. And to RollingFreaks point that Davide Gilmour "gets it", the same could be said for Roger Waters as he's never wanted to reunite "Pink Floyd" for anything other than Live 8 which was a one off for charity. In fact it was Waters who quit the band and demanded the name "Pink Floyd" be put to rest which didn't quite happen the way he wanted for better or worse (depending on who you ask). Post-Live 8, it was Gilmour who approached Waters to join him on stage at a small charity event a few years ago, but not as Pink Floyd. As a return favor, Roger asked Gilmour to join him in London to grace Comfortably Numb at one of Roger's solo Wall shows. While Gilmour flubbed some of his lines and his solo left a bit to be desired, by most accounts it was a sight to behold. That's as close to a reunion that will probably ever be from this point on, and at least it seems they're on relatively good terms considering the venom that went on between them for many years. Recently Nick Mason is playing small pub shows with a side band playing old and relatively obscure early Pink Floyd songs, and will be expanding the tour to larger venues selling tickets at high prices. While many seem to enjoy it, seems like a glorified tribute band if you ask me - but he was the drummer so maybe "tribute" is a bit strong.

Wow, I actually had no idea Nick was doing that. I could understand why it seems like a tribute band, which I don't like, but if it has an original member and its songs NO ONE plays then I could give a pass to that. And actually it sounds really cool. If that came anywhere near me I'd probably have to go. It'll never be Floyd, but to hear all those great early songs played by Nick in presumably a small place would be incredible.

I agree Roger was anti Floyd as well for awhile, but after Live 8 it became Gilmour's albatross. Which is fine. But Roger became very open to it so I wouldn't put him in the same category as Gilmour or Plant. Roger was no longer the one saying no, and he might not have ever said it but from the way he spoke I don't think he would have turned down a tour (even though all I remember was charity stuff, but I think he was ready to get Floyd back up again). Regardless, I am happy we got Live 8. It was perfect and as long as a band comes back together ONCE for a serious effort (Floyd with Live 8, Talking Heads at their Hall Of Fame, Zeppelin at O2) I am admittedly more at peace. I didn't see them, but if I really wanted to I could have been there so thats as good as I can hope for. Floyd without Wright wouldn't be the same. I was devastated when he passed.

As for Roger playing Floyd, 100% he should. He wrote all the damn songs as you point out. It would be foolish not to and I consider it more honest than a lot of other former members of bands that play their old hits solo. With Roger it works and feels right.

Date: July 11, 2018 20:59

RollingFreak
But Roger became very open to it so I wouldn't put him in the same category as Gilmour or Plant. Roger was no longer the one saying no, and he might not have ever said it but from the way he spoke I don't think he would have turned down a tour (even though all I remember was charity stuff, but I think he was ready to get Floyd back up again).

Not sure how you can come to that conclusion. And not doubting your feelings or intuition, but I honestly can never imagine Roger Waters Waters wanting to get Pink Floyd back together again after Live 8.
When you say "Roger became very open to it" and "from the way he spoke I don't think he would have turned down a tour", is there something specific he said somewhere that lead you to believe this? Trying not to sound like a jerk lol, but that's something that I've never perceived in any of his interviews.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-11 21:01 by Hairball.

Date: July 11, 2018 21:14

Hairball
RollingFreak
But Roger became very open to it so I wouldn't put him in the same category as Gilmour or Plant. Roger was no longer the one saying no, and he might not have ever said it but from the way he spoke I don't think he would have turned down a tour (even though all I remember was charity stuff, but I think he was ready to get Floyd back up again).

Not sure how you can come to that conclusion. And not doubting your feelings or intuition, but I honestly can never imagine Roger Waters Waters wanting to get Pink Floyd back together again after Live 8.
When you say "Roger became very open to it" and "from the way he spoke I don't think he would have turned down a tour", is there something specific he said somewhere that lead you to believe this? Trying not to sound like a jerk lol, but that's something that I've never perceived in any of his interviews.

As always, I could be totally wrong. I don't have specific quotes to cite or anything. I do KNOW he talked about that he would be open to getting the band back together for a good charity or something. I'm 90% positive he said that. Whereas again, Gilmour NEVER entertained anything to my knowledge. Maybe we just have different perceptions, and I'd also say I haven't heard Roger ever consider it after Richard died. I still think he might have, but I don't remember seeing him push it. But I remember after Live 8 either it was media or him saying he looked like he was dying to be up there with them, mouthing every word, and clearly relished that moment. The animosity he seemed to have with them was completely gone whereas they all seemed more hesitant, Gilmour specifically.

Who knows. It never happened, but I felt Gilmour actively shut down reunion rumors ala Plant whereas Roger seemed to take the Never Say Never approach and seemed like if asked HE was gonna be the one to say no. Basically taking the Jimmy Page route of "you'd have to ask ____." I personally got the sense after Live 8 Roger was up for it and David was not. His attitude towards Floyd 100% changed, IMO, after that show. Even though I also know rehearsals for Live 8 had their share of tension.

Date: July 11, 2018 21:27

Fair enough if that's the impression you have, but still don't think he would have pushed it in any way. After all, his Dark Side of the Moon solo tour did great, and his solo tour of the Wall was record breaking.

Via wiki: "It was the second-highest-grossing concert tour in North America in 2010 and the third-highest-grossing concert tour worldwide as of 2013.[7] As of 2013, the tour holds the record for being the highest-grossing tour for a solo musician, surpassing the previous record holder, Madonna"

Not sure he would trade any of that success in if it meant having to deal with former band mates for an extended amount of time - especially Gilmour. Maybe for another charity show here and there, but nothing really beyond that.

On the other hand, I'd be willing to bet that the post Waters Pink Floyd (The Division Bell and Momentary Lapse of Reason era) would have welcomed Roger back in a heart beat to help in the songwriting department- but that's just speculation and maybe completely wrong - they both pretty much hated each others guts.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: July 11, 2018 21:30

Hearing Roger cough and choke his words out between the songs at Desert Trip made me wish he mimed the stage banter too.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 11, 2018 22:51

SomeGuy
mtaylor
Saw Waters in Hyde Park. Great show, great music and great production with the limits an outdoor ahow has. I am just very thankful to musicians in their 60'ies snd 70'ies still around and wanting to entertain us.

The day Eric, Waters, Santana, Winwood, Stones and Macca etc. are not around anymore, the world will be much poorer.... Hence, I take as many concerts as I can.

As for politics.... all musicisns should speak frealy no matter who they criticise... music was initially also a platform for critical opinion against society / politics and that should continue.... cheers

Indeed, Im grateful for the older artists we can still enjoy. Most of them could have simply retired you know, who still works at 74??
All musicians should speak their minds freely, but then all listeners are free to have their opinion abou them also.
Art that gets too political often gets tainted by the triviality of it all, dont you think? And why would we want to turn to musicians for that anyway.
Whether music was initially also a platform for critical opinion against society / politics.. I doubt that, sorry.

When I mentioned music as a platform for critical opinion against society / politics, I was more thinking about the 50-70 area. And not cavemen as somebody else suggested. "We shall overcome"

Date: July 12, 2018 00:18

mtaylor
SomeGuy
mtaylor
Saw Waters in Hyde Park. Great show, great music and great production with the limits an outdoor ahow has. I am just very thankful to musicians in their 60'ies snd 70'ies still around and wanting to entertain us.

The day Eric, Waters, Santana, Winwood, Stones and Macca etc. are not around anymore, the world will be much poorer.... Hence, I take as many concerts as I can.

As for politics.... all musicisns should speak frealy no matter who they criticise... music was initially also a platform for critical opinion against society / politics and that should continue.... cheers

Indeed, Im grateful for the older artists we can still enjoy. Most of them could have simply retired you know, who still works at 74??
All musicians should speak their minds freely, but then all listeners are free to have their opinion abou them also.
Art that gets too political often gets tainted by the triviality of it all, dont you think? And why would we want to turn to musicians for that anyway.
Whether music was initially also a platform for critical opinion against society / politics.. I doubt that, sorry.

When I mentioned music as a platform for critical opinion against society / politics, I was more thinking about the 50-70 area. And not cavemen as somebody else suggested. "We shall overcome"

Haha sorry about that mtaylor - I guess I took your comment "initially" literally and a bit too far back in time to the prehistoric era. winking smiley
Anyhow, agree that critical opinions against society / politics in music (and any form of art) should continue, just as listeners have the right to agree or disagree.
And while I don't agree with all of Waters' rantings and ravings, everyone has a right to voice their opinions - whether it's he, Springsteen, Bono, you, me, or anyone else.

Date: July 12, 2018 13:56

keefriff99
The Live 8 reunion in 2005 will have to suffice. That was truly amazing...makes my eyes well up every time I watch it, especially the crowd reactions.

Yep, quite agree.......the late running of the show, being in Hyde Park at close to midnight in the warm air as the 4 of them performed together was quite surreal, emotional, uplifting, there's someone in my head and it's not me......

Date: July 12, 2018 15:38

Cool official video of "Pigs (Three Different Ones)":

Pigs (Three Different Ones)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-12 21:25 by keefriff99.

Date: July 12, 2018 21:06

keefriff99

[www.youtube.com]

Link not working above, but I assume you posted this one from Mexico City, 20016 with the old band?
Whatever the case, this is fantastic...pigs everywhere...on the screeens and floating through the air.
Almost feel sorry for the inflatable one that gets devoured by the crowd ha...

Roger Waters - "Pigs (Three Different Ones)"

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 12, 2018 21:14

Hairball
SomeGuy
mtaylor
As for politics.... all musicians should speak freely no matter who they criticize... music was initially also a platform for critical opinion against society / politics and that should continue.... cheers

All musicians should speak their minds freely, but then all listeners are free to have their opinion about them also.
Art that gets too political often gets tainted by the triviality of it all, don't you think? And why would we want to turn to musicians for that anyway.

Anyhow, agree that critical opinions against society / politics in music (and any form of art) should continue, just as listeners have the right to agree or disagree.
And while I don't agree with all of Waters' rantings and ravings, everyone has a right to voice their opinions - whether it's he, Springsteen, Bono, you, me, or anyone else.

Well said. No one should be silenced - even people who are ideologically opposed to us. Freedom of speech should always be protected. Cheers.

Date: July 12, 2018 21:21

Hairball
keefriff99

[www.youtube.com]

Link not working above, but I assume you posted this one from Mexico City, 20016 with the old band?
Whatever the case, this is fantastic...pigs everywhere...on the screeens and floating through the air.
Almost feel sorry for the inflatable one that gets devoured by the crowd ha...

Roger Waters - "Pigs (Three Different Ones)"

Yep, that's the one. Don't understand why the link grayed out.

Date: September 9, 2019 06:03

New film documenting Us+Them Tour - review via Variety:

Venice Film Review: ‘Roger Waters Us + Them’
Roger Waters may be “running over the same old ground” in his latest concert film but the new material shows Pink Floyd’s ageless war dog is always up for a new fight.
By Mark Keizer

Pink

Director: Sean Evans, Roger Waters
With:Roger Waters
Running time: 119 MIN.

If you had to guess which legendary rock and roll artist has a new concert film featuring characters that include “Refugee,” “Drone Pilot” and “Palestinian Girl”, there’s a good chance your guess would be Roger Waters. The former Pink Floyd front man is practically defined by his decades-spanning collection of songs and concept albums that dive headlong into hot-button social and political issues that include capitalist greed (1977’s “Animals”), youthful alienation (1979’s “The Wall”), and the futility of war (1992’s “Amused to Death”).

In 2017’s principled and tuneful “Is This the Life We Really Want?,” his first solo album of all-new rock material since “Amused to Death,” Waters turns his skeptical yet hopeful eye toward refugees and President Trump, among other topics. The album’s most biting songs, featuring ferocious lyrics tailor-made for tweet-sized social media messages, are also the highlight of his latest concert film, “Roger Waters Us + Them,” a sonically superior if sometimes draggy affair that earns its stripes by affirming the timelessness of Waters’ thematic concerns and proving that fresh material doesn’t have to be the medicine we’re forced to swallow to hear the classics. Shot over three nights in June 2018 during the Us +Them tour stop in Amsterdam, the film looks and sounds fantastic and should easily rope in his aging fan base. If they blink and miss its two-days-only theatrical release in October, the DVD is set for store shelves in early 2020.

Indeed, the age of his fans leads co-directors Waters and Sean Evans to make the odd choice of limiting audience reaction shots primarily to tattooed and pierced men and women in their 20s and 30s. One young woman actually sheds a tear. While this reads as a fairly silly way of arguing that the 76-year-old songwriter and bassist can connect with a younger generation, it does remind us of the universality and insolvability of the problems that distress him so greatly.

Some of the younger concertgoers are not too far removed from the prison-jumpsuit-wearing local kids who line the stage for “Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2),” a multi-cultural group who eventually rip off their orange vestments to reveal T-shirts that read “resist.” “The Last Refugee” gives voice to one of Waters’ latest topical concerns, augmented in aching if ineffectual fashion by live-action sequences. If he never gets us feeling the same level of sadness and anger over the ongoing worldwide refugee crisis, it’s not for lack of trying. In his matching black T-shirt and jeans, Waters still cuts an authoritative yet hip figure, the coolest grandpa ever. While his voice has never been one of pure velocity and clean lines like Freddie Mercury’s, it’s still in very fine form, his cracked and battle-scared warble conveying authenticity and righteous fury. And make no mistake, for a man championing peace, he sure sounds furious.

The film’s highlight is a blistering multi-song reaction to Trump starting with “Picture That” (“picture a leader with no f—ing brains”) from the new album, followed later by the one-two punch of “Pigs (Three Different Ones)” from “Animals” and “Money” from “The Dark Side of the Moon.” Here, editor Katharine McQuerrey works with the music and the stage visuals (including billboard-sized Trump quotes and Pink Floyd’s legendary floating pig) to devastating effect, giving the film the political charge we’ve been waiting for. It obliterates any nagging worry that the 156-show tour is merely trading on Water’s past glories like so many other rockers of a certain age taken to running wheezy laps around the nostalgia track.

Any Roger Waters arena concert is an unparalleled spectacle, and while DP Brett Turnbull’s coverage of the band onstage breaks no new ground, the crushed blacks add a dark and provocative edge. The stage includes a 94-foot wide LED screen, and about halfway through the concert, a giant metal grid and 16 moving screens descend from the roof. Seen live, it was presumably an awe-inspiring contribution to the evening’s overall effect, an epic vision that Turnbull’s arena-encompassing wide shots can suggest but never fully convey.

The movie’s title is adapted from the “Dark Side” track “Us and Them.” Replacing the “and” with a plus sign makes the point that if humanity is going to survive the only way forward is together. It’s a notion that he’s taken to controversial extremes in recent years having repeatedly and unrepentantly stepped on the age’s geopolitical third rail: the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. “Us + Them,” both film and concert, ends with a spoken-word plea for justice for “our brothers and sisters in Palestine” who, in Waters’ telling, live under Israel’s deeply repressive apartheid regime.

In today’s politically polarized culture, criticizing both Trump and Israel risks leaving a whole lot of money on the table in terms of concert revenue and DVD and streaming sales. But this is “Us + Them’s” primary achievement, one that should not be blithely dismissed in this PC era: Although Waters is sometimes aggravating and occasionally trouble-making, he is, to repurpose a lyric from “Breathe,” not afraid to care. “Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way,” sings the band’s David Gilmour stand-in, guitarist Jonathan Wilson, in the Pink Floyd classic “Time.” It is not, thank goodness, Roger Waters’ way.

Venice Film Review: 'Roger Waters Us + Them'

Reviewed at Venice Film Festival (Out of Competition), Sept. 5, 2019. Running time: 119 MIN.

Production: (U.K.) An Us and Them Prods. production, in co-production with Grasshopper Films. (Int’l sales: Trafalgar Releasing, London.) Producers: Clare Spenser, Roger Waters. Executive producer: Mark Fenwick.

Crew: Directors, writers: Sean Evans, Roger Waters. Camera (color, widescreen): Brett Turnbull: Editor: Katharine McQuerrey. Music: Roger Waters.

With: Roger Waters, Dave Kilminster, Jon Carin, Jonathan Wilson, Joey Waronker, Gus Seyffert, Holly Laessig, Jess Wolfe, Bo Koster, Ian Ritchie, Azzurra Caccetta, Anais Dupay Rahman, Lucas Kornacki, Buket Komur, Glendon Jones.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 30, 2019 19:40

Good Ol' Rog shooting out his mouth as usual !

[www.rollingstone.com]

Did people say things like that a lot?
I remember Jagger coming to the Nassau Coliseum gigs in late 1979 and seeing The Wall. He came backstage, trying to find out how he could get that. “I want that.” Somebody pointed to [illustrator] Gerald Scarfe, who was sitting on the sofa chatting with Nick Mason and said, “He’s the one you should see.” And Jagger didn’t see. He thought it was Nick. So he went up to Nick and said [in a Jagger impression], “I gather you’ve done all the visuals and all that.” And Nick, of course being Nick, said, “Well, yes. I did. I do that in my spare time when I’m not practicing my drumming.” And Jagger sat and talked to him, wasted half an hour of his life thinking that. Bless Nick. How cool.

And not that I’ve got anything against Mick. Well, I haven’t. Well, not a lot. He’s just a bit old for me.

Oh and for the PF fans, Rog & Dave are still at war !

I’m sure you were happy to hear that when David Gilmour sold his guitars this year, he donated the money to fighting climate change.
Oh, bless him. I think that’s a good thing. Good for him. [Pauses] I wish he’d let me advertise this movie on the Pink Floyd website. It’s not allowed. He censored it, and I’m not allowed to announce anything on it.

When was the last time you spoke to him?
We spoke in June. We had a big meeting where I came up with a big peace plan that has come to nothing, sadly.

I’m sorry to hear that.
I know you are. I bet all Pink Floyd fans are sorry to hear that. They all hoped that we could kiss and make up and everything would be wonderful in a cozy, wonderful world. Well, it wouldn’t be all that cozy or wonderful for me, because I left Pink Floyd in 1985 for a reason. The reason being that I wanted to get on with my work.

Well, thank goodness I’ve been able to get on with my work. Work is its own reward. I was very happy to see in the Variety review of the movie that they managed to connect the dots between Dark Side of the Moon, Animals, [Waters’ solo album] Amused to Death, and Is This the Life We Really Want? That was gratifying. Anyway, let’s not go there any further. I’ve said more than I should.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-30 20:03 by gotdablouse.

Date: September 30, 2019 19:51

Hahaha, what a passive-aggressive little bastard he is. Good interview!

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: September 30, 2019 21:22

I love Roger's work. He used my father's photo and story in "The Wall". It was used during several songs and also at intermission. He is too political at times. But I feel he is more connected to the audience and the world around us. I saw David at RCMH and MSG during his Rattle That Lock tour. One of the best shows I ever attended. I get a little sick of David's pompousness and prim and proper act. RW was the real creative force behind 90% of the great Floyd albums. I think David acted like a petulant prick not letting Roger use the Floyd website. Roger has done much more work in the past 15 years than David. What would be the problem with him showing some class and letting Roger put some stuff of Floyd website?

Date: October 1, 2019 00:24

Thanks for the link gotdablouse.

New tour in the works for next summer which will be different from the last one (possible title THIS IS NOT A DRILL!),
and the possibility of some more new music - the "creative genius" behind Pink Floyd is keeping busy.thumbs up

"I wish he’d (Dave) let me advertise this movie on the Pink Floyd website. It’s not allowed.
He censored it, and I’m not allowed to announce anything on it".

Dave is still a dick!

Speaking of the film, the Us and Them tour movie is showing in theaters this week Oct 2 and 6.

From Ultimate Classic Rock, July;

Roger Waters ‘Us and Them’ Concert Film Coming to Movie Theaters

Pink

Roger Waters is coming to a movie theater near you. The Pink Floyd co-founder has announced a concert film featuring footage from his Us + Them tour.

Described as an “unmissable cinema event,” Roger Waters Us + Them promises “state-of-the-art visual production and breath-taking sound.” The project reunites Waters with director Sean Evans, who previously helmed the acclaimed 2014 concert documentary film Roger Waters the Wall.

Filmed in Amsterdam during the European leg of his 2018 tour, Us + Them features songs from iconic Floyd albums The Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, Animals, and Wish You Were Here. The set list also includes tunes from Waters’ 2017 solo album, Is This The Life We Really Want?

“Roger has been the innovator of theater in arena and stadium rock 'n' roll since the early ’70s,” Waters' manager, Mark Fenwick remarked to Variety. “He is legendary for pushing the boundaries of surround sound and visual entertainment with his message of love and humanity through Us + Them.”

After achieving massive worldwide fame and commercial success, Waters departed Pink Floyd in 1985 citing creative differences with his bandmates. A feud with guitarist David Gilmour has prevented the group from reuniting. Despite this, Waters, Gilmour and drummer Nick Mason have continued to mix Floyd material into their respective live performances. Waters even made a surprise appearance alongside Mason’s new Saucerful of Secrets band in April.

Roger Waters Us + Them will receive a limited engagement, screening in cinemas worldwide on Oct. 2 and 6. Tickets go on sale July 17. You can find more info at the movie's official site. Us + Them

Based on these clips, it's sure to be a doozy capturing the overall greatness of the tour.

Us + Them #1

Us + Them #2

Us + Them #3

Us + Them #4

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-01 00:26 by Hairball.

Date: October 1, 2019 22:09

[Waters] also said that he’s planning a new tour that will hit American arenas next summer.

“It will be even more political than Us + Them was — political and humane,” Waters said. “We were listening to songs and looking at set lists today. We were talking about, what should we call it? I shouldn’t be giving this away, but I don’t give a shit because it will probably all change, but imagine the iconic helicopter that normally comes before ‘Happiest Days’ and ‘Brick 2’ — that noise that we all know and love — and imagine a megaphone, somebody abused this device before, I know — but, ‘This is not a drill.’ I thought that could be a good title for the show: This Is Not a Drill. The ruling class is killing us.”

Rolling Stone article

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: October 1, 2019 22:19

The Happiest Brick On The Moon

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: October 1, 2019 22:28

Another Pig On The Fly

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 22

This Thread has been closed