Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 22
Re: OT: Roger Waters 2017
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 29, 2017 00:47

Redhotcarpet
RollingFreak
I don't really like to see my musicians get political. A comment or two is fine, but going overboard, even if its someone I don't agree with, seems like its taking away from the show. In the end I'm there for the music. But after the way Trump's been behaving the last week (which isn't a new low but somehow feels a bit "good lord dude") I could kinda use a dose of Waters' Trump heavy bashing cause you know its gonna be done really well and vicious. And all being done with brilliant visuals to classic Floyd music... that idea sounds really really fun.

Does Roger Waters also include people like Kim-Jong-UN, ISIS-leaders, Putin, Hassan Rouhani (Iran), Khaled Mashal (Hamas), Nicolas Maduro and Xi Jinping on the screen show or is it just the leader of the free world? I know Trump is an easy target but hey, that's my point.

Putin yes. As for the others, if memory serves some of them were included in Rogers version of the Wall which also included Obama. The new show in only two hours long (give or take), so can't cram everything into it!
But this particular portion of the current show - Pigs (Three Different Ones) - is dedicated to the buffoonery of Trump, and even though it was written with different intentions decades ago, the lyrics fit ( Pigs ).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-29 00:48 by Hairball.

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: September 29, 2017 01:43

Saw his show in Nassau NY. Unreal, spectacular.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 29, 2017 02:10

Redhotcarpet
RollingFreak
I don't really like to see my musicians get political. A comment or two is fine, but going overboard, even if its someone I don't agree with, seems like its taking away from the show. In the end I'm there for the music. But after the way Trump's been behaving the last week (which isn't a new low but somehow feels a bit "good lord dude") I could kinda use a dose of Waters' Trump heavy bashing cause you know its gonna be done really well and vicious. And all being done with brilliant visuals to classic Floyd music... that idea sounds really really fun.

Does Roger Waters also include people like Kim-Jong-UN, ISIS-leaders, Putin, Hassan Rouhani (Iran), Khaled Mashal (Hamas), Nicolas Maduro and Xi Jinping on the screen show or is it just the leader of the free world?
The leader of the free world? No, I don't think I saw Angela Merkel anywhere.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 29, 2017 02:34

Leader of the free world? He's not even consider the leader of the USA! Fake election! Good for Roger waters! Pigs is a fantastic song and it fits so well with current situation. Off of one of my favorite Floyd albums.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 29, 2017 14:08

Hairball
Redhotcarpet
RollingFreak

Does Roger Waters also include people like Kim-Jong-UN, ISIS-leaders, Putin, Hassan Rouhani (Iran), Khaled Mashal (Hamas), Nicolas Maduro and Xi Jinping on the screen show or is it just the leader of the free world? I know Trump is an easy target but hey, that's my point.

Putin yes. As for the others, if memory serves some of them were included in Rogers version of the Wall which also included Obama. The new show in only two hours long (give or take), so can't cram everything into it!
But this particular portion of the current show - Pigs (Three Different Ones) - is dedicated to the buffoonery of Trump, and even though it was written with different intentions decades ago, the lyrics fit ( Pigs ).

He mocks Iran, Hamas, isis etc? Putin as long as Trump is connected to him yes, i sort of knew that.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: September 29, 2017 14:59

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but it's the best proof I've found that Roger Waters doesn't sing live and relies on backing tapes. Turn up the sound and look what happens at 0:41 seconds!

youtube

This plus all his anti-Israel comments pretty much killed any desire I have to catch him live - with or without Pink Floyd...

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 29, 2017 19:26

FrogSugar
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but it's the best proof I've found that Roger Waters doesn't sing live and relies on backing tapes. Turn up the sound and look what happens at 0:41 seconds!

youtube

This plus all his anti-Israel comments pretty much killed any desire I have to catch him live - with or without Pink Floyd...

Oh yeah this was posted. This was kinda the impetus that brought it all back up again cause it was right before the tour started. We all know its happening (some don't care, some think it enhances the show, some are against it) but that was a semi infamous video at this point that really sealed the tour I feel like. In the way that anyone following the tour saw that video.

It didn't really bother me, mainly cause I've seen him and wasn't planning to here. Also because he's not foreign to it. He's done it for decades now, or at least a decade, we just never really knew the extent. I think that clip hammered home its probably way more than I think, but again thats his preogative. Again, thats his right and I'm not thrilled about it. But I don't know how much he used it the times I saw him (probably a lot on the Wall) but I enjoyed the shows so I was fooled or preferred the show he gave me. In fact, when I heard he was doing the Wall I thought "how?! He can't at all sing like that anymore so its gotta all be prerecorded." Then there I am at the show loving it and not noticing a thing. I'm big against it, and that video you posted was crushing back in May. But you either accept it or don't. He's 72, we can't change him. The video of him lip syncing The Gunner's Dream in 06 STILL crushes me, but you take Waters for what he is. I hold it against him but the show is also so good I also don't use that as the sole reason not to go.

Date: September 29, 2017 19:34

Redhotcarpet
Hairball
Redhotcarpet
RollingFreak

He mocks Iran, Hamas, isis etc? Putin as long as Trump is connected to him yes, i sort of knew that.

You're question was does he include - not whether he mocks them - but again can't be sure one way or the other. The Wall had quite a bit of political commentary, possible more than the current tour.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 30, 2017 05:19

RollingFreak
FrogSugar

youtube

Oh yeah this was posted. This was kinda the impetus that brought it all back up again cause it was right before the tour started. We all know its happening (some don't care, some think it enhances the show, some are against it) but that was a semi infamous video at this point that really sealed the tour I feel like. In the way that anyone following the tour saw that video.

It didn't really bother me, mainly cause I've seen him and wasn't planning to here. Also because he's not foreign to it. He's done it for decades now, or at least a decade, we just never really knew the extent. I think that clip hammered home its probably way more than I think, but again thats his preogative. Again, thats his right and I'm not thrilled about it. But I don't know how much he used it the times I saw him (probably a lot on the Wall) but I enjoyed the shows so I was fooled or preferred the show he gave me. In fact, when I heard he was doing the Wall I thought "how?! He can't at all sing like that anymore so its gotta all be prerecorded." Then there I am at the show loving it and not noticing a thing. I'm big against it, and that video you posted was crushing back in May. But you either accept it or don't. He's 72, we can't change him. The video of him lip syncing The Gunner's Dream in 06 STILL crushes me, but you take Waters for what he is. I hold it against him but the show is also so good I also don't use that as the sole reason not to go.

this tour was amazing & i've seen him several times. including the original wall. i met him once on the radio kaos tour. he seems like he is a lot more comfortable in his own skin now. the show i saw he was smiling & jumping around. even went down on the floor to shake hands with people in the crowd. the new band is stellar, too.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 12, 2018 10:19

Wasn't planning on seeing Rog' again after The Wall 2013 tour, what with the "vocal backing tapes" and all, but after coming across some 8th row seats dead center for a very reasonable €133 at the UArena where our boys made a killing recently I...well broke down ;-) Did anyone catch him down under recently ? He got rave reviews for sure !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: March 12, 2018 18:59

I have a few friends down under who saw a show or two, and a couple of them traveled around to see five or six of them. All rave reviews - even from the jaded diehards - they couldn't get enough.
This upcoming European leg will last from April all the way through August, then to South America and Mexico from Oct. - Dec. - there's so many upcoming dates I can't even count them all. Marathon Tour. And with the first US leg being from last May-Oct, add them all together and at 74 years old it's mind boggling to witness the old man still touring around the world in this fashion unlike other old timers. Hoping he returns to the US for another run which is almost a given - it's truly a spectacular show. You'll be happy you saw it!

Date: March 12, 2018 19:07

Hairball
I have a few friends down under who saw a show or two, and a couple of them traveled around to see five or six of them. All rave reviews - even from the jaded diehards - they couldn't get enough.
This upcoming European leg will last from April all the way through August, then to South America and Mexico from Oct. - Dec. - there's so many upcoming dates I can't even count them all. Marathon Tour. And with the first US leg being from last May-Oct, add them all together and at 74 years old it's mind boggling to witness the old man still touring around the world in this fashion unlike other old timers. Hoping he returns to the US for another run which is almost a given - it's truly a spectacular show. You'll be happy you saw it!

have heard a few tapes from down under. the band is killing it!

Date: March 12, 2018 19:18

Good to hear, yes I spotted a couple of nice sounding recording on Dime, will check them out. In Paris he'll be playing back to back dates, wonder how he does it, but then he doesn't always sing and certainly moves around less than Mick ;-) I'm almost worried that I'll be too close and won't be able to take in the apparently magnificent show...hehe ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: March 12, 2018 19:27

Heads up gotdablouse - immediatly after intermission, you might want to try and find a temporary spot further to either side if possible - even stand in the outer aisle on floor if need be. Without giving anything away, there's a massive spectacle that lasts apprx. 30 minutes and is a major highlight of the show, and if you're dead center it will all be directly above your head, and you'll be unable to experience it all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-12 19:27 by Hairball.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 12, 2018 19:51

Hairball
Heads up gotdablouse - immediatly after intermission, you might want to try and find a temporary spot further to either side if possible - even stand in the outer aisle on floor if need be. Without giving anything away, there's a massive spectacle that lasts apprx. 30 minutes and is a major highlight of the show, and if you're dead center it will all be directly above your head, and you'll be unable to experience it all.
Lol, yes, take it from me, dead center is a less than ideal spot for this part of the show.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 12, 2018 21:23

gotdablouse
Good to hear, yes I spotted a couple of nice sounding recording on Dime, will check them out. In Paris he'll be playing back to back dates, wonder how he does it, but then he doesn't always sing and certainly moves around less than Mick ;-) I'm almost worried that I'll be too close and won't be able to take in the apparently magnificent show...hehe ;-)

4 of those are mine plus Desert Trip. If you need links msg me

Date: March 13, 2018 01:33

gotdablouse

the show i saw, roger was down on the floor shaking hands with fans at times. nice to see. i met him on the radio kaos tour & he wasn't in a place where he would do that. he was nice to me though.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: March 13, 2018 02:06

I'm going to the show in Amsterdam on the 23rd of June. I will miss out Stones in Berlin on the 22nd, but thankfully I get to see them before and after in London and Marseille. It's gonna be one hell of a week!

Date: March 13, 2018 10:12

Thanks for tips guys, yeah it seems that sometimes being too close can be a problem ! Since the GC is seated (not a big fan of that type of setup but when you make it, well...) it should be possible to move to the front side after the intermission and then back to the front center.

Here's a map of the venue BTW to compare it with what the Stones had :

--------------

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: March 13, 2018 21:22

Let me ask those of you who already attended Water’s Us + Them show a question.
I am not a diehard of Floyd/Waters, but caught Water’s The Wall show at the Manchester Arena in 2013 and was quite impressed. Now I am considering going to his Hyde Park show in July, taking the opportunity of seeing The Cure and Eric Clapton in the same weekend. It is way cheaper than his arena shows on the UK tour, adding to some attractive acts on the bill, e.g. Richard Ashcroft, Seasick Steve, Squeeze and more.
As you know, his show consists of lots of theatrical gimmicks, props etc. My concern is, does the show work under the outdoor situation? Without ceilings and enclosing walls (pun unintended), will the performance in Hyde Park suffer considerably?
Another possible negative factor is the daylight — as the sun doesn’t go down until ten in the evening or so in that season, you can’t expect the full lighting effect, obviously.
With all these disadvantages considered, what do you reckon? Would you rather recommend me to pick up one of his arena shows instead of Hyde Park? Comments and advices appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-13 21:43 by RisingStone.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: March 13, 2018 21:55

FrogSugar

youtube

Man, that's pathetic. Saw The Wall tour and feel a bit taken now.

Date: March 13, 2018 22:19

Yeah we discussed that last year, in his "defense" it wasn't an actual show but a dress rehearsal before the tour started, but yes, he uses tapes on stage and being the articulate and "aggressive" person he is he should probably be asked about it...

--------------

Date: March 14, 2018 00:24

RisingStone
I am not a diehard of Floyd/Waters, but caught Water’s The Wall show at the Manchester Arena in 2013 and was quite impressed. Now I am considering going to his Hyde Park show in July, taking the opportunity of seeing The Cure and Eric Clapton in the same weekend. It is way cheaper than his arena shows on the UK tour, adding to some attractive acts on the bill, e.g. Richard Ashcroft, Seasick Steve, Squeeze and more.
As you know, his show consists of lots of theatrical gimmicks, props etc. My concern is, does the show work under the outdoor situation? Without ceilings and enclosing walls (pun unintended), will the performance in Hyde Park suffer considerably?
Another possible negative factor is the daylight — as the sun doesn’t go down until ten in the evening or so in that season, you can’t expect the full lighting effect, obviously.
With all these disadvantages considered, what do you reckon? Would you rather recommend me to pick up one of his arena shows instead of Hyde Park? Comments and advices appreciated.

I would go for the indoor arena as it's a much more intimate setting and you will experience all the sensory overload - visually and sonically.
That said, Hyde Park should be great - especially if he utilizes the GIANT screen he had at Desert Trip and Mexico City in 2016, but not sure if he will. And there's the darkness factor as you mention - even if he has the giant screen not much will be seen.

gotdablouse
Yeah we discussed that last year, in his "defense" it wasn't an actual show but a dress rehearsal before the tour started, but yes, he uses tapes on stage and being the articulate and "aggressive" person he is he should probably be asked about it...

Indeed someone needs to ask him about this, but in every interview I've read or listened to since this issue has come up it's never asked.
Maybe it's part of the pre-interview agreement? At any rate, according to some diehards I know, he's utilizing the pre-recorded tapes much less this tour and only on a couple of songs.
And he only uses them as embellishment as he actually sings live over them, so it's a blend. But still...someone needs to have him clarify it all.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 14, 2018 00:36

RisingStone

Desert Trip was outside and it was mindblowing. In many respects the vastness of the outdoor venue made for a better experience. I too and traveling for Clapton, Winwood and Santana too. I sold my Cure tickets because traveling from California to Prague for the Stones then back to London for 3 straight days is too much for these old bones. Figure I'd rather recover for a day instead.

Date: March 14, 2018 07:03

To Hairball and daspyknows —

Many thanks for your thoughts. Tough call, really.

More suggestions welcome.

Date: March 14, 2018 07:13

RisingStone
To Hairball and daspyknows —

Many thanks for your thoughts. Tough call, really.

More suggestions welcome.

Go to both. thumbs up

Date: March 14, 2018 07:51

Hairball

Go to both. thumbs up

Wish I were there.winking smiley

Date: April 20, 2018 11:24

animals in surround sound? oh, i am so there!

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Date: July 7, 2018 03:21

Back from Hyde Park. I was blown away. I’m sure everybody was. Just spectacular.
Yes, the giant screen was there and it was so overwhelming. To say I was impressed would be an understatement. Now I’m glad I made it to this show.

Whether you like his political/social views (there were a lot) is another thing — but that’s Roger for you.

Date: July 7, 2018 04:01

RisingStone
Back from Hyde Park. I was blown away. I’m sure everybody was. Just spectacular.
Yes, the giant screen was there and it was so overwhelming. To say I was impressed would be an understatement. Now I’m glad I made it to this show.

Whether you like his political/social views (there were a lot) is another thing — but that’s Roger for you.

Nice RisingStones. smileys with beer

I have several friends who were there and they all echo your sentiments..."blown away"..."spectacular"..."overwhelming"!!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 22

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1951
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home