Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 22
Re: OT: Roger Waters 2017
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: July 10, 2017 21:49

I have a very dumb question about these shows...what does it look like sitting on the side looking through those screens, are they barely noticeable?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 11, 2017 00:43

kovach
I have a very dumb question about these shows...what does it look like sitting on the side looking through those screens, are they barely noticeable?

Along with the main screen that's behind the band for the entire show, the hanging screens are for projections and special effects - you don't see through them. They only come down after intermission for about a half an hour. They run lengthwise from stage to near back of arena down the center and are apprx. 10-15 feet above the crowd. There are about six of them side by side with a very small gap between them, and there are two sets of these - one set for viewing from the right side of arena and one set for viewing from the left side of arena. There is a ten foot gap between, so if you are anywhere dead center you would be looking in between them - like being in a tunnel if on the floor, or looking through a tunnel if you're in the back. Again, they only come down after intermission for about a half an hour - after Dogs and Pigs, the six separate portions fluctuate up and down, and for Us and Them they grow to twice the height. Immediately following intermission, amidst flashing red lights and sirens there's a huge mechanical contraption that is lowered from the rafters of arena where the screening system is held.

Hard to put in to words and all the above is hard to picture, so here's some photos I took all from same location lower loge right side about 1/3 back from stage:

During the first half of show, only the main screen is behind band:

Right after intermission the hanging screen system comes down and evolves into the Battersea Power Station - where the smokestacks are is where the gap or tunnel is between the two sides:

Looking straight ahead from my seat to other side of arena (the main stage is to the right) - those directly across from me would be seeing the exact same imagery on their screens:

During Money, you can see the size variations of the screens which are all rolling up and down to make different sizes at different times with mostly colorful/abstract imagery projected (also seen on main screen behind band).

During Us and Them, the screens grow to almost twice the size as the power station for one massive viewing screen.

After all this, the screen system disappears for the remainder of the show and lazer show happens.

Final shots - lazers and confetti.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-11 00:54 by Hairball.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: July 11, 2017 01:50

Hairball
kovach

Along with the main screen that's behind the band for the entire show, the hanging screens are for projections and special effects - you don't see through them. They only come down after intermission for about a half an hour. They run lengthwise from stage to near back of arena down the center and are apprx. 10-15 feet above the crowd. There are about six of them side by side with a very small gap between them, and there are two sets of these - one set for viewing from the right side of arena and one set for viewing from the left side of arena. There is a ten foot gap between, so if you are anywhere dead center you would be looking in between them - like being in a tunnel if on the floor, or looking through a tunnel if you're in the back. Again, they only come down after intermission for about a half an hour - after Dogs and Pigs, the six separate portions fluctuate up and down, and for Us and Them they grow to twice the height. Immediately following intermission, amidst flashing red lights and sirens there's a huge mechanical contraption that is lowered from the rafters of arena where the screening system is held.

Hard to put in to words and all the above is hard to picture, so here's some photos I took all from same location lower loge right side about 1/3 back from stage:

Ah, ok, it appeared as they sort of went perpendicular to each side of the stage and I imagined some sort of see-through screen with an image somehow projected onto it!

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: July 11, 2017 02:36

Saw this show in Dallas on July 3 and it was bloody fantastic. We had cheap seats up in third level toward back of arena but still felt completely immersed. By comparison, I saw the Stones in same venue (American Airlines Center) in 2005 with similar seats and Roger Waters' production completely blew them away.

His use of screen projections is innovative and works VERY well. If you have the chance to see him on this tour DO IT!

Date: July 11, 2017 04:32

Nice pics punkfloyd! Even from the uppers with a side angle there's a nice perspective. I can see there's actually eight screens vs. six that I mentioned earlier.
Also, in the last two pics with the chimneys, the gap I was referring is clearly visible. There's people sitting in that dead center blind zone looking at the stage through a dark "tunnel" - some of those dead center floor in the first 10 rows or so actually paid VIP prices, and I know of some who weren't too pleased about it.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: July 14, 2017 00:02

too bad waters is such a pos!

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: July 14, 2017 03:57

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: July 14, 2017 14:13

As a huge Pink Floyd fan i have always wellcome any new stuff from these people. I have always appreciated the music they produced together, even the songwriter approach or Roger waters that begun with pigs on the wing, The Wall and Final Cut, as well as the following solo albums by Waters. At the beginning it was something new and joyful.
This last album, which is the first in 25 years sounds very similar to those approaches, nothing new. This is the first time that Roger Waters’s music is not supported by electric guitar epic solos and arrangements ala David Gilmour (which with relative success were performed by Clapton and Beck in previous albums, and nowadays by professional sessionists in live performances). I mean that this album is 100% Waters, and do not sound Pink Floyd to me, which is a very honest thing if Roger Waters wants to be faithful with his own music and messages.
Once said that, this album sounds to me lame and boring. This kind of music, this kind of message sounded nice in first albums, but now I do not find it so exciting. Poor vocals, poor melodies, ……It’s a pity that Gilmour and Waters do not join forces to do something “almost” memorable: the voice, arragments, solos, production and compositions could be much better.
Lot of people find David Gilmour’s albums too boring, last one has been very underrated (you have instrumentals, pop, rock, progressive, jazzy…......and was released the very same date than CH by Keith.) IMHO. But this new Roger Waters is much boring, and surely is gonna have more favorable critics. Is my opinion that Roger Waters is one of the most overrated artists in rock music, and it is true that I love an enjoy his work, but after The Wall his compositions, his music and his voice are not my cup of tea anymore. Maybe his lyrics, his social and political messages, may have some interest, but once again is so repetitive. If this very same album was released by an unknown artist named Perfisal Watts nobody have ever care of it, and the critics should be very very bad…………………….
Much of his success nowadays is supported by playing the old stuff from Pink Floyd, by the spectacular and expensive live performances and by being critic and mediatic with some political and social relevant events

………………………….but it’s Roger Waters

.................and IMHO

Date: July 14, 2017 20:13

KeithNacho
If this very same album was released by an unknown artist named Perfisal Watts nobody have ever care of it, and the critics should be very very bad…………………….
Much of his success nowadays is supported by playing the old stuff from Pink Floyd, by the spectacular and expensive live performances

If this wasn't a Roger Waters thread and the fact you mention Pink Floyd, I would have sworn you were taking about the Rolling Stones!!!

Date: July 14, 2017 22:23

Rolling Stones play Rolling Stones music, the still work and play together, doing their own Vegas show.
Roger do Vegas show replicating the fantastic atmosphere of Pink Floyd music, along with some of his mediocre solo music
That's very different. Something similar ocurred in the 80s when Mick toured with a setlist plenty of Stones classic played by sessionists and shred guitar players trying ro mimmic Keith's sound

Date: July 14, 2017 22:50

Valid points there, but imagine if Blue and Lonesome was released by an unknown artist...nobody would care as it would have been just another blues covers album.
And much of the Stones success these days LIVE is playing stuff from over 35 years ago and even longer- just look at any recent setlist.
And the fact that Roger Waters plays old Pink Floyd stuff is similar to what the Stones do (playing oldies), but Roger Waters wrote 99% of the stuff he plays from those days, and he does add four new tunes to the shows - something the Stones won't do anymore.

As for Mick's '80's tour, that was a bad idea as all of the Stones songs he played were written with Keith 50/50 (give or take)...and some were almost written entirely by Keith himself (see Gimme Shelter).
Add in a a crappy shred guitarist ala Joe Satriani, and none of it made any sense.

Again the similarities between the two seem obvious to me, but gotta give Roger Waters more credit for playing old tunes he wrote mostly himself, as well as some new solo tunes he completely wrote himself.

Date: July 14, 2017 23:13

Overrated artist,.......but I like it

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 25, 2017 18:26

Holy shit.

What a remarkable show. I had an amazing time in Hartford last night. Visually stunning and incredibly moving. It's funny...out of all the bands and artists I listen to, Pink Floyd may be the only one that can bring me to tears for some reason...I was welling up repeatedly during Wish You Were Here, Us and Them, Eclipse, Mother and Comfortably Numb. Such beautiful music, expertly played.

Waters is something else. So much passion and earnest anger. Certainly no showman like Jagger, but equally wiry and full of vim and vigor.

I was sitting next to a couple of guys in their late 50s/60s with Southern accents, and I said, "Well, I hope you don't like our President", and one of them says, "Oh, it's not gonna get political is it?? I'd take ANYONE over Hillary, and if you wanna kneel during the Anthem, buy your own team."

Goddamn, did I want to facepalm HARD. Don't you think you should RESEARCH what you're getting yourself into before you buy a ticket?? This is ROGER WATERS! Fortunately for me they didn't get annoying during the show or say anything to me, although they sat very still during some of the more political moments. Too bad for them...next time, do a little reading first, fellas.

At any rate, it was an amazing show. Thanks Hairball for convincing me to buy a ticket.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-25 18:28 by keefriff99.

Date: September 25, 2017 18:34

Hairball
Nice pics punkfloyd! Even from the uppers with a side angle there's a nice perspective. I can see there's actually eight screens vs. six that I mentioned earlier.
Also, in the last two pics with the chimneys, the gap I was referring is clearly visible. There's people sitting in that dead center blind zone looking at the stage through a dark "tunnel" - some of those dead center floor in the first 10 rows or so actually paid VIP prices, and I know of some who weren't too pleased about it.
You were definitely right about the seat positioning. I was just slightly off to the right of dead-center, so I was able to barely look down the perpendicular screen but couldn't see the full details that were being projected on it. It was an amazing effect though...the smokestacks and pigs up at the top looked so real and tactile.

No complaints though...it wasn't used for a large portion of the show, and the main stage effects were equally compelling. Loved Waters' backing bands, particularly the two gorgeous backup singers.

Date: September 25, 2017 20:46

Awesome keefriff99 - I knew you would enjoy the show for a variety of reasons! thumbs up

Tentative rumours he'll be coming back to the US after the recently announced European shows. But this time - like he did with his Wall tour - it will be in giant stadiums with the single giant screen backdrop ala Desert Trip/Mexico City 2016 shows...not a bad seat in the house. Normally I would prefer arenas and smaller, but for a show like this the bigger the better! Hope it happens!!!!

edit: typo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-26 01:11 by Hairball.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 25, 2017 22:05

Yeah I was slightly disappointed in myself that I missed these shows even though I still think I made the right decision after having seen him twice before. This would have been nice to fill in some album gaps, and obviously would have looked stunning. But figured there's a good shot he'll come back like he did with The Wall. If he doesn't, that sucks but I'll easily live. If he does, I'll certainly be there. The performance of Pigs is so note perfect.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: September 25, 2017 22:54

David gilmour puts on a pretty good show with both his new Stuff and pink Floyd stuff . Pompeii live film as extraordinary . Quite fun seeing Chuck lavell doing the vocals for comfortably numb on his last tour !

Date: September 26, 2017 05:24

Hairball
Awesome keefriff99 - I knew you would enjoy the show for a variety of reasons! thumbs up

Tentative rumours he'll be coming back to the US after the recently announced European shows. But this time - like he did with his Wall tour - it will be in giant stadiums with the single giant screen backdrop ala Desert Trip/Mexico City 2016 shows...not a bad seat in the house. Normally I would prefer arenas and smaller, but for a show like this the bigger the better! Hope it happens!!!!

Damn, I considered last night most likely the last time I'd ever see Waters, but if he returns to stadiums next year, I'd almost certainly revisit it even if the setlist is identical.

By the way, his new songs were quite wonderful too.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 26, 2017 06:36

KeithNacho
Once said that, this album sounds to me lame and boring.

I must admit I felt pretty much the same when listening to the album. In addition, the production sounds rather amateurish to me, more like a demo than a finished piece.

I used to be a big Floyd fan but never was such a big fan of the members' solo stuff (exception: Music from The Body). That goes likewise for The Final Cut and the two post-Rog albums. A part of what made the Floyd great is missing here. However, the Floyd shows I saw in 1988 and 1994 were great.

As for Rog, it seems he somehow got stuck with The Wall and never managed to get beyond it and on to something new, like he never couldn't just leave it behind. Maybe The Wall burned him out artistically, too. It speaks for itself that it took him 25 years to release a follow-up to Amused To Death (which is a pretty dull affair in its own right).

I never saw him live but watched some videos from the In The Flesh tour (I think), with a rather funky version of Shine On that sounded quite alright.

I haven't checked Youtube yet for his present tour but he certainly knows how to put on a spectacular show.

Date: September 26, 2017 07:03

keefriff99
Hairball

Damn, I considered last night most likely the last time I'd ever see Waters, but if he returns to stadiums next year, I'd almost certainly revisit it even if the setlist is identical.

By the way, his new songs were quite wonderful too.

Yes the new album is great, and the new songs go over well in concert - wish he would play more from it along with some other select solo tunes of his.
What God Wants from Amused to Death for example would fit the theme well, and would be amazing to see and hear live.

Here's a recent review from the Sept, 19th Pittsburgh show which some friends of mine attended - needless to say they thoroughly enjoyed the entire show.

Now in his 70s Roger Waters continues to raise the bar

"And with apologies to David Gilmour, it’s hard to remember these Floyd songs ever sounding better".

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 26, 2017 10:04

RollingFreak
Yeah I was slightly disappointed in myself that I missed these shows even though I still think I made the right decision after having seen him twice before. This would have been nice to fill in some album gaps, and obviously would have looked stunning. But figured there's a good shot he'll come back like he did with The Wall. If he doesn't, that sucks but I'll easily live. If he does, I'll certainly be there. The performance of Pigs is so note perfect.

Haha charade you are! grinning smiley

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: September 28, 2017 21:48

I caught Roger Waters The Us and Them Show for the 2nd time last night on the first of 2 nights in Boston. There's so much to see and take in, that it's well worth a repeat viewing. Just due to its complexity, the set list has not changed even one song (as far as I can tell) during the tour - but what a set list it is!
A couple observations: Amazing to realize that they do in fact seem to set up speakers up high around the arena to give the Quadrophonic affect during key moments (seagulls during the very start, helicopters, laughing old men during parts of Dark Side etc.) Indeed, I mentioned at one point that the 'mixing desk/soundboard' set up toward the back of the floor, is bigger than most stages!
The thing I mostly came away with though, is that while this is a massively incredible visual production (Spoiler: the Animals Power Station that descends the length of the floor during the 2nd set, as others have pointed out, is unreal!), the real star of this show is the music. The guitar work is Phenomenal! Hitting all the right notes (granted, it takes at least two guitarists to equal one David Gilmour), but it just sounds SO good. One of These Days (2nd song of the night) rocked so friggin' hard I thought I was gonna lose a molar. Great Gig In the Sky, with the 2 female singers - I had to go again, just to hear that one a second time. There's but a few more N. America shows (all in Canada thru the end of Oct.), before he heads to Australia early next year, and then Europe for summer 2018 has just being announced. See this show if you can! It's truly amazing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-28 21:59 by DEmerson.

Date: September 28, 2017 22:18

thumbs up

DEmerson
One of These Days (2nd song of the night) rocked so friggin' hard I thought I was gonna lose a molar.

grinning smiley

I believe he's inserted Mother in to the setlist at several of the more recent shows, but not sure if all of them?

Hope he comes back to the North America eventually, having seen four of the arena shows in June has proven not to be enough!

Posted by: Promoman2 ()
Date: September 28, 2017 22:22

Pretty sure it has been mentioned before but remember the presale for Amsterdam starts tomorrow at 10.00 CET

Date: September 28, 2017 22:26

Hairball
thumbs up

DEmerson
One of These Days (2nd song of the night) rocked so friggin' hard I thought I was gonna lose a molar.

grinning smiley

I believe he's inserted Mother in to the setlist at several of the more recent shows, but not sure if all of them?

Hope he comes back to the North America eventually, having seen four of the arena shows in June has proven not to be enough!
He did play it in Hartford Sunday night.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: September 28, 2017 23:06

You appear to be correct - looks like Mother was just added starting with Hartford the other night.
[www.setlist.fm]

Date: September 28, 2017 23:10

DEmerson
You appear to be correct - looks like Mother was just added starting with Hartford the other night.
[www.setlist.fm]
Wow, didn't realize that was the first night he played it. It's such a good song...glad I got to hear it live again.

Date: September 28, 2017 23:17

keefriff99
DEmerson
[www.setlist.fm]
Wow, didn't realize that was the first night he played it. It's such a good song...glad I got to hear it live again.

Not to be nerdy winking smiley, but he also played it during the final show of the first leg of the tour back in August.
Wasn't sure if he kept it in the set after that, but knew he played it at one of the recent shows and rightfully so - hopefully it will be part of every set from here on out.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: September 29, 2017 00:08

Roger Waters is Mr. Right Guy anno 1944.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 29, 2017 00:30

RollingFreak
I don't really like to see my musicians get political. A comment or two is fine, but going overboard, even if its someone I don't agree with, seems like its taking away from the show. In the end I'm there for the music. But after the way Trump's been behaving the last week (which isn't a new low but somehow feels a bit "good lord dude") I could kinda use a dose of Waters' Trump heavy bashing cause you know its gonna be done really well and vicious. And all being done with brilliant visuals to classic Floyd music... that idea sounds really really fun.

Does Roger Waters also include people like Kim-Jong-UN, ISIS-leaders, Putin, Hassan Rouhani (Iran), Khaled Mashal (Hamas), Nicolas Maduro and Xi Jinping on the screen show or is it just the leader of the free world? I know Trump is an easy target but hey, that's my point.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 22

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1705
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home