Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 22
Re: OT: Roger Waters 2017
Posted by: dougingb ()
Date: June 28, 2017 21:26

Great pictures!! The concert looks awesome!!!

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: June 29, 2017 00:17

Thanks for posting your Pics Hairball. I was wondering how Rodger would recreate
the graphics which we witnessed at Desert Trip. Looks great and sooo looking forward to the Chicago shows!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 29, 2017 10:03

Rocky Dijon
Agreed, Hairball. We need to be able to discuss an artist's right to political comment regardless of where we stand personally. It may be even more necessary when that long-promised new Stones album comes rolling out. And no, bleedingman, you were hardly the only person to turn it personal. The "Us and Them" mentality is hardly something to encourage.

With all of the focus on Trump here something kind of got lost. The show also had an extremely powerful theme on the plight of refugees/black lives matter/bigotry/human rights in general. There were some very powerful images (& lyrics). The Wall show touched on the same territory but it was even more profound this show. One example: During "Another Brick" my friend turned to me & just said wow. She didn't see the Wall. The segment opened with helicopter effects & a searchlight panning the audience. When the lights came up, a line of kids of all races were in a line wearing orange prison coveralls. As the song progressed, the kids took off the coveralls & all had shirts with the word "resist" on them. Powerful stuff & emotional within the context of the performance. I agree with Hairball that even though the show has a static setlist, there is so much going on that it would be worth seeing again. I probably won't be able to but if Roger puts out a blu-ray I'm there!

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: July 1, 2017 20:14

San Antonio, tonight

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: July 1, 2017 21:36

rattler2004
San Antonio, tonight

be interested to hear what happens with the crowd during the first half hour of the second set. ambiguous it is not@

Date: July 2, 2017 09:45

crholmstrom
rattler2004
San Antonio, tonight

be interested to hear what happens with the crowd during the first half hour of the second set. ambiguous it is not@

probably better received than most would've thought, big cheers..I didn't hear any boos or see any negative reactions....saw more of that at the Desert Trip than in Texas....who'd have thought.

But honestly I was at the first weekend of the Desert Trip and his performance coincided with the second Presidential debate, also Pigs (Three Differnt Ones) and Roger's visuals were brand new....today it was very well known, and those who would be offended by that probably aren't Roger Waters fans or if they are either they didn't attend or didn't react.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-02 09:50 by rattler2004.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 2, 2017 10:14

rattler2004
crholmstrom
rattler2004
San Antonio, tonight

probably better received than most would've thought, big cheers..I didn't hear any boos or see any negative reactions....saw more of that at the Desert Trip than in Texas....who'd have thought.

But honestly I was at the first weekend of the Desert Trip and his performance coincided with the second Presidential debate, also Pigs (Three Differnt Ones) and Roger's visuals were brand new....today it was very well known, and those who would be offended by that probably aren't Roger Waters fans or if they are either they didn't attend or didn't react.

thumbs up

I recall someone at one of the Desert Trip weekends write that there were several old wealthy conservatives wearing designer golf shirts that were a bit miffed, and a few other stories of others slightly bent out of shape.
Personally, I didn't see any of that during both weekends from anyone in my vicinity...only cheers, laughter, and applause. And I didn't see any hurt feelings during any of these new shows either - it was well received by all.

Date: July 2, 2017 12:17

crholmstrom
rattler2004
San Antonio, tonight

thumbs up

Date: July 2, 2017 19:41

crholmstrom
crholmstrom
rattler2004
San Antonio, tonight

thumbs up

How was it in Seattle crholmstrom? Were there any protesters or a mass exodus?

And rattler2004, what did you think of the show?

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: July 2, 2017 20:32

I was at the Tacoma show. I had floor seats just in front of the board on the far right, which was an optimal spot for sound and visuals as I was centered on Joey Waronker's drum kit and far enough to the right to fully view the projection screens and stage when the perpendicular to the stage projection screens dropped for the 2nd set.

Seattle/Tacoma is one of, if not the most progressive and liberal demographics in the U.S. There is a major army base just south of Tacoma, but to my eyes, Roger was preaching to the choir at this show. I'd be more curious to see the reception the show gets when the tour hits Washington D.C.

I didn't notice anyone protesting over what was displayed or walking out because of it. There was a bizarre fist fight directly behind my seats at the start of Pigs (Three Different Ones), that took out about six chairs each in the five rows behind me. Given the violence that has happened at recent shows, it was even more disturbing. I saw panic-stricken older fans and other men and women as their seats were overturned and two men in their 40s-50s squared off. The two security staff that were present completely froze up and neither intervened or called for back-ups as these two guys exchanged blows and grappled for a couple of minutes. The band was oblivious to the brouhaha, and the performance and video imagery of Pigs raged on surreally in the background. It wasn't until the song after Pigs, some 10-15 minutes later, that a police officer arrived to remove the aggressor and the seats and order were restored.

After the show, the friend I'd attended the show with and I were talking with a couple of guys who'd come down from Alaska for the show. One of them had been sitting a couple of rows behind us, two seats from where the fight broke out. He said that the guy who started throwing punches was upset that the other guy was spending the whole show on his iPhone taking video grabs and posting on Facebook, had said something, and next thing, fists were flying. It had nothing to do with the content of the show, per se, but there is an uncomfortable amount of tension in this country right now, and civil discourse seems to be at an ebb as people are venting their inner rage and anger in wholly inappropriate and oftentimes dangerous ways. A Confucian view would see this as an example of the leader setting the tone, and given the circumstances, I find Roger Waters portrayal of the dehumanizing influence of greedy, egomaniacal leaders 100% on point.

If you want to fight, there's the real enemy.

Date: July 2, 2017 20:48

Thanks Javadave, that was a great read.

A small fight happened a few rows behind my wife and I ten minutes in to the Vegas show with a chair and beers knocked over...had to do with some old geezer getting upset with the people in front of him standing.
Caused a minor disruption in the show amidst those around us with the yelling, etc, but everyone else was oblivious and the security dudes were all over it immediately.

As for Washinton D.C., yes it will be interesting to see if anything happens as far as protestors, etc. I saw one of the Wall shows there last tour which was also heavy on the politics (and the religion "controversy" was making the news), and remember thinking if anything was going to happen regarding protestors, that would be the place - nothing happened at all. Of course things are different there now with Trump at the helm, so chances of some unrest are probably bigger. Trump might roll out one of his tanks to put a stop to it!!!eye popping smileywinking smiley

Date: July 2, 2017 20:58

Hairball
crholmstrom
crholmstrom
rattler2004
San Antonio, tonight

thumbs up

None that I saw. Lot of serious intoxication happening, haha.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 2, 2017 23:06

As usual, Trump doesn't need Waters to make him look bad. He does a great job of that himself. But he handed Waters gold today if it was possible to edit the footage he's been using.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 2, 2017 23:44

I don't really like to see my musicians get political. A comment or two is fine, but going overboard, even if its someone I don't agree with, seems like its taking away from the show. In the end I'm there for the music. But after the way Trump's been behaving the last week (which isn't a new low but somehow feels a bit "good lord dude") I could kinda use a dose of Waters' Trump heavy bashing cause you know its gonna be done really well and vicious. And all being done with brilliant visuals to classic Floyd music... that idea sounds really really fun.

Date: July 3, 2017 01:29

Hairball
crholmstrom
crholmstrom
rattler2004
San Antonio, tonight

thumbs up

I enjoyed it very much. I had only just recently picked up his latest release this past week, so it was good that I was at least familiar with his new songs. This is the second time I've seen Roger Waters, the first being Desert Trip's first weekend. His show blew me away there, incredible spectical, and sonic onslaught, but you can only see an act like this for the first time once, so that performance and atmosphere will always be tops for me. Last night I took my wife and son for their first Roger Waters concert, and seeing how they reacted to it was like seeing it for the first time again. I was surprised when that he didn't play Mother or Run Like He'll, and equally surprised by including One of These Days.

The show starts off with a very mild energy vibe, but as my son said that second act was so off the charts that its impossible to top.

I'm sure this is happening all over, but the entire AT&T Center sang along with Vera, Confortably Numb, Brain Damage and quite a few of others. Which always makes me imagine how incredibly satisfying that must be to the songwriter/artist performing the song getting instant feedback of how they've touched so many people.

Date: July 3, 2017 04:47

rattler2004
Hairball
crholmstrom
crholmstrom
rattler2004
San Antonio, tonight

thumbs up

I enjoyed it very much. I had only just recently picked up his latest release this past week, so it was good that I was at least familiar with his new songs. This is the second time I've seen Roger Waters, the first being Desert Trip's first weekend. His show blew me away there, incredible spectical, and sonic onslaught, but you can only see an act like this for the first time once, so that performance and atmosphere will always be tops for me. Last night I took my wife and son for their first Roger Waters concert, and seeing how they reacted to it was like seeing it for the first time again. I was surprised when that he didn't play Mother or Run Like He'll, and equally surprised by including One of These Days.

The show starts off with a very mild energy vibe, but as my son said that second act was so off the charts that its impossible to top.

I'm sure this is happening all over, but the entire AT&T Center sang along with Vera, Confortably Numb, Brain Damage and quite a few of others. Which always makes me imagine how incredibly satisfying that must be to the songwriter/artist performing the song getting instant feedback of how they've touched so many people.

Good stuff! smileys with beer

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: July 4, 2017 04:49

potus43
bleedingman
shadooby
One thing for sure he sure knows how to get us all talking just like the one he loathes (Trump) ...so draw your own conclusion...so, is he really any different? Welcome to the show that never ends...HISTORY

Doesn't end with Trump by a long shot. Lucky for him Hilary lost, otherwise no pig.

Waters IS a racist and antisemetic

Roger Waters and his anti-Israel boycotts. FAIL! Guess who is is playing in Tel Aviv tomorrow? Brittany Spears. She was visiting the Western Wall today which created chaos, and the nearby Christian holy sites. Up yours Roger Dodger!

Date: July 4, 2017 04:59

triceratops
potus43
bleedingman
shadooby
One thing for sure he sure knows how to get us all talking just like the one he loathes (Trump) ...so draw your own conclusion...so, is he really any different? Welcome to the show that never ends...HISTORY

Doesn't end with Trump by a long shot. Lucky for him Hilary lost, otherwise no pig.

Roger Waters and his anti-Israel boycotts. FAIL! Guess who is is playing in Tel Aviv tomorrow? Brittany Spears. She was visiting the Western Wall today which created chaos, and the nearby Christian holy sites. Up yours Roger Dodger!

Sounds like you're a fan of Britney Spears?!!!

Following her daily routine?

grinning smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 4, 2017 05:24

triceratops
potus43
bleedingman
shadooby

Wow...THE Britney Spears??

It's pretty sad if THAT'S who you're reduced to hanging your hat on. She's so medicated, she doesn't even know which country she's performing in.

Date: July 4, 2017 06:43

San Antonio review - along with a few nice pics:

Us + Them: Roger Waters at AT&T Center in San Antonio, TX, 7.1.17

Giant flyiing pigs...

"This is Pink Floyd – live and direct from the source".

One should expect nothing less than a spectacle when considering Pink Floyd – or any of its former members – in a live setting. Roger Waters least of all. And on his Us + Them tour, Waters brought a grand spectacle, complete with an awe-inspiring light show, artfully composed video and dancing children clad in orange prison jumpsuits. And pigs. Giant, flying pigs.

Shortly after 8pm, the lights dropped inside the arena and the noises started. Unintelligible noises. Random and rhythmic, rising up from the from beneath the excited shouts of the packed stadium, there came familiarity in a beating heart as it spilled up and over into Breathe.

That was when it became real. This is Pink Floyd – live and direct from the source. Of course establishing reality was only the first step into the surreal reflection of our world.

Welcome to The Machine – its cold ruthlessness lay bare with startling and violent animation. Welcome to The Wall – where we were prompted to RESIST at all costs the insidious mechanisms of mind-control that begin with the educational system. Welcome to America – where the players donned animal masks during a not-so-subtle anti-Trump exhibition accompanying Dogs and Pigs (Three Different Ones).

Stellar musicianship was on display all night. From deep cuts like One of These Days to heart-rending classics like Wish You Were Here, Waters and his team of players delivered with soul and energy unique to Pink Floyd. Notably, the backup singers got their moment in the sun, winning the arena over with their stirring dual performance of The Great Gig in the Sky.

But the real moment came toward the end of the second set. That moment of transcendence, it came with the appearance of a massive pyramid of white light beaming across the arena during Eclipse. That was when everything under the sun – love and hate, peace and war, life and death – that was when it all came together as a single, ineffable force of being and rose to the peak of the pyramid in spectral rays of shimmering light.

Or perhaps that’s only how I experienced it. Perhaps those are the only words available to express the cumulative impact of the past two hours. Art is subjective. It is an individual using any means available to translate in-sight into something that can be perceived by the physical senses. What visceral truths an others may glimpse from behind the outward portrayal is dependent completely on them.

Roger Waters brought art to San Antonio last night. I am very pleased that I was there to witness it.

Date: July 4, 2017 07:08

Damnit, I think I'm gonna have to go to this show...he's playing Hartford in September, so it's only a 15-min drive for me. Probably gonna pay through the nose for a ticket, but this sounds like an historic show.

Date: July 4, 2017 09:24

keefriff99
Damnit, I think I'm gonna have to go to this show...he's playing Hartford in September, so it's only a 15-min drive for me. Probably gonna pay through the nose for a ticket, but this sounds like an historic show.

If you're a fan of Pink Floyd in any way (and/or if you also happen to hate Trump winking smiley ), you will really love it.
Words of advice- avoid anywhere dead center and be as far to the side as possible on floor (probably 15 rows or more back from stage), or preferably lower loge (1/3 to 2/3 back from stage). The pics I posted previously from one of the L.A. shows are from that location. I know a few who before the tour started paid VIP to end up dead center 10-15 rows back, and regretted it once they realize what takes place directly above them after intermission. The last show I attended I had a floor right ticket 20 rows back, but because I knew the show I roamed freely and made my way center row 20 for the first half of show. During intermission, I retreated back up to lower loge to an empty aisle seat to take in the massive spectacle during Dogs, Pigs, Money, and Us and Them. When that portion of the show ended (and the massive Battersea prop, etc. was put back away), I made my way back to the floor for the remainder of the show - eventually standing in the aisle 5th row center for the Grand finale.

I currently see many tickets available for Hartford, and at $195+ it is worth it imo. I'd go for lower loge 103, 104, 115, 166.
Next section back would even be good at $121+ ...section 117 and 102.

I'm still tempted to see it again, but am trying figuring out the what, why, where, and when.
I have friends in Chicago trying to get my wife and I out there for a visit and see the show, but that's just in a few weeks and too much of a short notice.
Might make a journey up the coast to Vancouver for the final show at the end of October - never been there and would love to visit!

Date: July 4, 2017 12:45

Hairball
keefriff99

If you're a fan of Pink Floyd in any way (and/or if you also happen to hate Trump winking smiley ), you will really love it.
Words of advice- avoid anywhere dead center and be as far to the side as possible on floor (probably 15 rows or more back from stage), or preferably lower loge (1/3 to 2/3 back from stage). The pics I posted previously from one of the L.A. shows are from that location. I know a few who before the tour started paid VIP to end up dead center 10-15 rows back, and regretted it once they realize what takes place directly above them after intermission. The last show I attended I had a floor right ticket 20 rows back, but because I knew the show I roamed freely and made my way center row 20 for the first half of show. During intermission, I retreated back up to lower loge to an empty aisle seat to take in the massive spectacle during Dogs, Pigs, Money, and Us and Them. When that portion of the show ended (and the massive Battersea prop, etc. was put back away), I made my way back to the floor for the remainder of the show - eventually standing in the aisle 5th row center for the Grand finale.

I currently see many tickets available for Hartford, and at $195+ it is worth it imo. I'd go for lower loge 103, 104, 115, 166.
Next section back would even be good at $121+ ...section 117 and 102.

I'm still tempted to see it again, but am trying figuring out the what, why, where, and when.
I have friends in Chicago trying to get my wife and I out there for a visit and see the show, but that's just in a few weeks and too much of a short notice.
Might make a journey up the coast to Vancouver for the final show at the end of October - never been there and would love to visit!

Vancouver is awesome, Hairball. Since Roger added another show up there, I think the ticket situation is pretty good. I was thinking about it but already had plans that weekend.

Date: July 4, 2017 12:47

keefriff99

Do it! I had tickets on the side 2 sections back from stage, about 30 rows up. It was a perfect perspective to get all the visuals effects. Roger also has areas on both sides of the stage he goes to at times. It was an amazing show.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: July 5, 2017 10:20

Only a 15 minute drive? You have got to go see this show. The music and visuals are simply stunning.

Date: July 10, 2017 08:41

Got my ticket for September 24...Section 121, dead center, slightly elevated. Can't wait.

Date: July 10, 2017 09:09

keefriff99
Got my ticket for September 24...Section 121, dead center, slightly elevated. Can't wait.

Sounds good, but not sure why you chose dead center for this show - sides would have been better as mentioned above by my self and others, but it should still be great.
Maybe you can maneuver over a section or two after intermission for that portion of the show which lasts about half an hour (Dogs, Pigs, Money, Us and Them).

Here's a video from the Kansas City show taken from a similar perspective to Sec. 124 at Hartford w/nice angle of main stage and hanging screens. (From dead center you'll be looking between these screens - like a tunnel).

Roger Waters - Pigs

*Audio in above video is not the best, but the visuals are high quality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-10 09:17 by Hairball.

Date: July 10, 2017 09:11

Here's another positive review of the July 6 Houston show from the Houston Press.

Roger Waters Pulls No Punches at Triumphant Toyota Center Stop

Houston

I once read that every guy goes through a Pink Floyd phase at some point. I don’t know if that’s true, but it’s one of those things that has always felt true to me. As part of the band, Roger Waters wrote songs that will last as long as humans listen to music. Long after this post ends up in the great web archive in the cloud, new generations of music fans will pour over the lyrics and sounds that he had a hand in writing.

That he’s decided to weaponize those songs to force his fans to face the uncomfortable truths of the modern world is a revelation.

The Us + Them Tour has so much to take in and so much to digest that this review could be written three times over and still not really scratch the surface of it all. The combination of music and words and sound effects and lights and video creates so many moments likely to drop your jaw that processing them all is almost overwhelming; this is a show where a giant, reflective orb floating across the arena for a while and it wouldn’t even make the Top 10 moments of the show.

Waters pulls no punches on this tour. This is a show that features video of trucks being blown up by drones, Donald Trump with a KKK mask Photoshopped onto his face and a literal, visual metaphor of the school-to-prison pipeline featuring local children of color. It is confrontational in ways that shock, but also in ways that make you pump your fist in triumph.

It’s dark to a point where you start to wonder if Waters can pull things back from the black, especially when you know in the back of your mind that “Comfortably Numb” is going to close the show.

But it’s at the end, in the final run of songs, where Waters and company bring it all back for moments that had me close to tears. It’s in the hands that couldn’t connect during “Wish You Were Here” finally coming together. It’s in how the rainbow of colors that got pushed away by the white of the moon in “Eclipse” reappear as confetti falls from the sky. It’s in a child taking a seat next to her mother on an unknown beach.

It’s hope. It’s connection. It’s love. Just how it’s always been for Waters.

This is a show that recreates the cover to Animals with projectors and the cover to Dark Side of the Moon with lasers, but that’s just tech. It’s wonderful, absolutely, but this show got into my feelings in ways that I had thought impossible, and it wasn’t just the tech.

I have seen better concerts on a purely musical-performance level and I have seen better concerts on a storytelling level, but I’ve never seen a show where the two came together as magically as they did here. I want to write 5,000 words on this show and then force other people who have seen it to sit in a room with me and break it down minute by minute. I want every show to be this one.

I admire the songwriting ability of Taylor Swift, the endurance of Garth Brooks, the audacity of Kanye West. I admire Tool’s unwillingness to compromise, Rage Against the Machine’s ability to channel anger into power otherworldly, Big Freedia's ability to create a space where everyone feels free and Lady Gaga’s endless empathy.

But Roger Waters is the greatest concert showman of all time.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: July 10, 2017 09:23

The music is still ahead of its time. Incredible.

Date: July 10, 2017 15:46

Hairball
keefriff99

Sounds good, but not sure why you chose dead center for this show - sides would have been better as mentioned above by my self and others, but it should still be great.
Maybe you can maneuver over a section or two after intermission for that portion of the show which lasts about half an hour (Dogs, Pigs, Money, Us and Them).

Here's a video from the Kansas City show taken from a similar perspective to Sec. 124 at Hartford w/nice angle of main stage and hanging screens. (From dead center you'll be looking between these screens - like a tunnel).

Roger Waters - Pigs

*Audio in above video is not the best, but the visuals are high quality.
I just didn't want to crank my neck to one side all night, plus these tickets were a bit cheaper. It's a very small arena, so I'm sure I'll be able to move around a bit if I want to change perspective.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 22

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1825
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home